Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help configuring download

Hi,

I have been through the Blue FTP tutorial countless times and read the written instructions for creating a download. I'm sure I've also watched a video tutorial about a bv.zip download.

My problem is: When I link to the zip file, it does not download but opens to a browser window which displays as -

Index of/nameoffile.zip/

Folder icon - Parent directory
    download icon - nameoffile.zip

If one clicks on that second name of file.zip, the download dialogue box opens.

I cannot work out what I am doing wrong. I would like the system to work by actually opening the download dialogue box when the link is clicked ... in this case, it is an image whose properties box has been given the url: http://www.sitename/filename.zip

The "link type" box in properties is: http:

I would be grateful if someone could walk me through the process.

Many thanks - Lunar

Re: Need help configuring download

Can you give me a link to the appropriate page.
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Hello, Darren

Any assistance greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if the Properties box should be linking to a URL or to a file.

Thanks - Lunar

Comment

The link kind've looks right but for the big fat BUT. Have you uploaded the zip file to the correct directory?

Look for the folder that has your index page, introduction page, chapters page and so on (probably public_html) and FTP the zip file in there also.

Then try that link again...let me know how you get on.
        Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Hello, Darren

Thank you for your help. I have tried this a number of times, even calling it a .jar file. BlueFTP continually plays up - refusing to delete some of these folders and giving an error message.

It appears to be in the correct place on the right hand screen after having been dragged from the left.

I have put up a screen shot on the site /screen.html

You may be able to see the problem more clearly there if I've done something wrong.

Thanks - Lunar

Comment

To delete unwanted folders make sure you delete the contents first.

I'm just going to do a quick test...stand by.
            Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Check your messages !
              Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Hi, Darren

Thank you very much for your efforts. I'm quite sure I've seen a video tutorial a couple of times where a bv.zip file is created. However, I now can't find it to watch again. I can't remember whether I found it through the forum. In any case, it doesn't seem to be anywhere in the tutorials list. If you've seen it, or know where to find it, please let me know.

In response to your other suggestions. The problem may be with BlueFTP which gives constant error messages. I cannot even get into one of those zip folders to try to drag anything anywhere. When I connect BFTP, sometimes those folders appear in the public folder, sometimes they don't. Trying to go Up one, produces an error message; double-clicking a folder produces an error message; highlighting an unwanted item and hitting the Delete button produces an error message.

However. I'd really like to find that bv.zip tutorial again because I'm sure there was one extra step in there that is not contained within the number 33 video, nor in the written article just below it.

Again, my thanks for your efforts! If necessary, I can easily create a page which informs people how to access that file from the ugly web page link. Not a terribly pretty solution, but a B-plan stopgap if all else fails.

Thank you - Lunar

Comment

Working...
                X