This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating/Editing Templates

Hi, I'm a new user and have some really basic questions. I apologize in advance if I missed a post related to this or tuned out during a crucial point in one of the Tutorials (which by the way are pretty great.)

I actually have several questions but I believe the theme is consistent so hopefully I am not messing up posting protocol.

I have decided to work with a width of about 960 px since my research seems to indicate that is a new minimum (although there are plenty that still insist on the 800x600). I checked out your templates - and you have some really neat designs - but most of them are too small. And stretching the one I like makes the side bar too wide and makes the resolution of the rest of the image choppy. I read the post Help Formatting BV template, and although it gave me some good ideas for other issues, I don't think it would work here; the template I am referring to is m114a template in the s10 file, and it has a nice looking curve. Stretching makes the curve very choppy, and trying to minimize the side bar would require me to create a box that duplicates the curve. I also downloaded the more 'finished' template nt3, mainly because it also had a nice curve in the header, but although the stretching worked fine, the embedded image in the header is not really appropriate for my purposes. So now I'm thinking of just creating my own. This brings me to the first set of questions:

1. Can anything be done to easily stretch the m114a template and maintain the proper proportions?
    2. Can the embedded image in the nt3 Header be replaced or erased without damaging the colour and design of the grain?
    3. If I create my own header, can I 'embed' an image into it? I don't want full colour, but rather an effect like creating a background or watermark. I didn't see this option in the image editing tool so I was not certain.
    OTHER QUESTIONS:
    4. (Warning: this may be a stupid question). When saving your template, the tutorial just shows the basic design being saved. But I would think that all elements and links that you wish to be consistent (ie. Background texture, menu bars and links, footer) should be saved as a part of the template. Is this true? Or do I have to insert those elements separately into every page? What is worrying me are the several posts that refer to their elements 'misbehaving' as a result of improper saving of the pages. So I am concerned that using 'save as' when creating a new page that is based on the template links/elements would also mess things up. So what elements can safely be saved as part of the template?
    5. Clarification regarding naming and saving pages. I know that I have to save the home page as 'index', but if I understood the tutorial correctly, I can name the home page (in Properties) as anything I want - preferably something appropriate. So I don't have to identify the index page anywhere else within the page? That doesn't seem right somehow, but that's my current understanding. Correct?
    6. (Slightly off topic - sorry). Is there any link to an index that identifies what the various commands really do? Your tutorials go through some of the most common ones, but there are quite a few vague ones. Ie. The image tool 'resample'. I have no idea what it does and do not see any real change when I use it. I did notice that if my background pattern is not previewing properly, and I 'resample' the image where the background doesn't appear, it fixes the problem.... but I still have no idea what it does.

Sorry about the length. Feel free to delete or edit the post if inappropriate or too long. But it may be helpful to other beginners.

Re: Beginner: Creating and/or editing Templates

A. The maximum suggested width of a static web page is 985, based on the 16 grid standard and the current "out-of-the-box" default monitor resolution of 1024x768, as this leaves a single 1/4 grid margin on each side and is thus more universally viewable in all resolutions and the majority of other devices.
    B. The "Sampler" (the eye-dropper) is the tool you use to apply the same exact COLOR to text, Lines, Shapes, etc. in a duplication process, as many are simply too confused as to how to digitally enter colors.

1. You can use the PixResizer or any other photo editor to "resize" the header entirely, being sure to do so maintaining "ratio": unlike simple "stretching" this will also increase height proportionately, but if the design allows, you can crop (usually from the top) the image to make it appear more like the height of the original.

2. No.

3. BlueVoda allows you to "fill" a Shape with an image (but not another image or imported object), and you will undoubtedly have to use Shapes to create your own design, so there is nothing preventing you from using multiple Shapes 'layered' in order to achieve the desired overall appearance of a single image. You will then Save this multi-layered page design as your new Template.

4. The "Tip" you refer to that outlines the method of Saving "new" and "updated" pages using different specific methods clearly mentions the reason for doing so, that being to avoid errors and dysfunction when improperly saving DYNAMIC elements (Menus, Navigation Links, Conveyor, LightBox, etc.). You do NOT include dynamic elements in your Saved Template (including any Hyperlinks with 'Styles' that may conflict with page-to-page formatting).

5. In BlueVoda you will SAVE pages to the proper Folder prior to Publishing, and the first page of any website must be saved as "index" (all pages to be saved using lowercase letters without spaces). Additional site pages may be named whatever is needed, such as "about" and "contact" .... the naming of the Page in PAGE PROPERTIES is called PAGE TITLE and is visible in the browser tabs and separate from any visible URL in the addressbar. Being an "attribute" of the page that is visible to visitors and Search Engines alike, it is something that must be precisely created within the site's overall continuity (reflecting the created Relevancy) for it to contribute rather than detract from the site's SEO valuations: the Page Title, Page Content, Page Images with page-specific Titles, and Page Keywords should demonstrate obvious continuity.

6. No, there is no "Toolbar Map" of the BlueVoda Workpane. The best thing to grasp is that the Tutorials are presented in a logical order that should be followed not only to build a strong skillset, but to lay the foundation for the progressive logic that is critical for a genuine understanding to emerge. Each BludVoda skill builds upon the previous, and naturally contributes to a wider scope of integration. Explore. Experiment. You can do no wrong using BlueVoda!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Ok, first and foremost, you are amazing. Thank you for not only addressing everything so well but for doing it so promptly. Although I've been playing with the program for a few days (continuously!) I haven't actually been able to get overly far because I've been reluctant to actually save a template. That post re: 'Do not save as' warning was quite clear that you should not 'save as' any existing pages, but I thought that a template, by it's very definition, may act differently from regular pages. (And yes.... I see you rolling your eyes. But in my defense, I do believe I warned you it may be a stupid question.)

I am certainly going to play around with some of the solutions/ideas you suggested. I already tried to create a header in the amazing Pixlr, but unfortunately, it doesn't allow you to create curved lines. One of its very few limitations. Thank you once again.

Comment

Ummm..... please don't hate me... but I need a teensy weensy bit more clarification regarding templates. I totally understand that no dynamic elements can be included in the template - and I understand why. So now I just need quick clarification as to what constitutes a dynamic element. Obviously and image doesn't, because that is the format of the design template we are saving. So... that would mean that technically I can incorporate ANY image into the template that I want as long as it is not linked to something and that I want to appear on every page. A logo image for example. Soooo..... if that's the case, I technically should be able to add menu buttons and a background, as those are images. As long as I don't 'activate' the menu buttons by providing the URL link, they are not dynamic. And the background is simply another image. This makes sense to me. The question is, am I right? I worry that I do not understand how Blue Voda adds the menu buttons or background and that there is in fact a a . Since I actually have to choose a location and that it does in fact have a hyperlink involved in applying those styles. I'm just trying to minimize duplicate work, and more importantly in the case of buttons, I'm trying to ensure consistent placement on every page. I figure if I position the images without the links, it shouldn't be affected by the 'save as' when creating a new page. And then I can just enter the hyperlink separately as each page is created. So... what do you think? (Other than I should not be allowed to post anymore ;) )

Comment

Re: Creating & Editing Templates

Navigation Items (Buttons, Menubar, Drop-Down Menu, Sliders, Hyperlinked Text, HTML Box with script), LightBox, Conveyor, Ad Banner Rotator, Flash Items, Slideshow ..... these are all DYNAMIC ELEMENTS that are either created by or dependent upon scripts for function or Style -- even if the Style has not been defined or configured, such as a simple Navigation Button.

ALL script-dependent items are incompatible with the SAVE PAGE AS method of generating a BlueVoda page. Period. (Re: #4 above)
          1. Once you design your Template you use the "SAVE-PAGE-AS-template" method as a 'Naming' process to save the page without any dynamic elements on it.
          2. Open the saved Template and still without any Dynamic elements placed upon it immediately use "SAVE-PAGE-AS-newpagename" to create a new page.
          3. You will then Open the "newpagename" page in BlueVoda and add the dynamic elements (Navigation, etc.) individually before using only the SAVE icon to properly save and preserve it for publishing.

If you need to make corrections to a Menubar (add a new page item) for instance, you will need to make that correction to the "index" page and using the COPY+PASTE Icons in the Toolbar only (not the command or the right-click methods, as the icons method will Copy and Paste the item in the exact same place whereas the other methods will not), delete the Menubar on every other page and then Paste the newly updated Menubar as on the "index" page upon all the rest of your pages. THEN, once updated, these pages will be SAVED (only) using the Save Icon in the Toolbar prior to being re-published.
          It is a pain sometimes, but this process must be adhered to to achieve perfected webpage design and function. Invest the effort.

It is very simple, and outlined clearly and logically in the original Tip.

A Logo image in the Header of each page is by <HEAD> positioning alone excluded from the Rules regarding Image File Titles (different than ALT TEXT -- we're talking about the name of the actual image file as saved on your system), especially for globally appearing Page Images: Every image that appears on more than one page needs to have a unique Title that specifically fits with and demonstrably contributes to the Page's Relevancy Construct ..... If the image is of a Salesperson, for instance, and appears on every page, it should have a unique Image Title that is fitting for each page: on the "Labor" page, it might be Titled "ABC-Company-offers-experienced-labor" while on the "Warranty" Page the same image might be Titled "ABC-Company-has-the-best-warranty" .... It is not necessary to Title the main Header Logo image other than with the Company name "ABC-Company"
          Excepting the main Header Logo, globally appearing, same-titled images (not Shapes) will in fact lose formatting, position, and be a root cause for further page dysfunction.

It is the way it is, and there is no side-stepping the process or hypothetical modifications possible.
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Re: Creating/Editing Templates

Thank you! You will disagree with me, but I found this post so much more clear than the other one. I think because the other one presumes some understanding of terminology and the web building process. But here your break it down to basics and it is just what I needed. (I never would have thought that a button or image without an active link would still be considered dynamic.) And your step-by-step approach to the copying of the page elements -and the reasons behind it - has certainly saved me much future aggravation. I know others, beginner or not, will find your breakdown helpful. You should link it as part of the tutorial for making pages. Thank you so much once again.

Comment

Working...
            X