php vs html publishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• php vs html publishing

On my website www.strategyforfitness.com I was trying to establish a client page I could page protect so I could put information like workouts and nutrition guides for my clients. I wish to keep my clients private and that is why I want pages that are protected with a password. I installed BludeVoda11. Instructions indicated I should publish the page as php vs. html when publishing and using page protect. When I did this the exercise videos I had on the page did not work. Also, I had a link back to my nutrition page and it it did not allow certain links that had jpg pictures on them to load. Could someone please point me to information about when to publish using php and when to use html. When I loaded the page protect it did not work either. I eliminated all the pages I created and placed them back as they were and reloaded all the videos and jpg's and they work on the site again. I really would like to creat my client pages and need help understanding how to publish these pages so they will work and not mess up my other pages on my site. Also, is there any idea of when tutorials will be out on the page protection, admin database, logon, etc.

Re: php vs html publishing

anytime you run any php scripts or forms the pages will have to be published as php.. including password protected pages containing the script.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Karen, thanks for the reply. I had originally published the client page I designed as html. I then published it as a php. Is there possible issues with having the same page in php and html in the public_html directory. Also, do all my pages in the site have to be published php or only the pages that have page protect, forms, etc. on them. One other question please. If I place a link from my specific clients page (published in php) back to my page on nutrition (published as html) does this affect the "nutrition" page since it is published as html. I created the link through the "glass button" linking it back to www.strategyforfitness.com/nutrition.bvp. When I did that it did not allow certain navigational links and jpg pictures on the nutrition page to load. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Could be.. you can go up on the server and and delete the html versions thru cpanel file manager.

You cant link to bvp you have to link to html or php. bvp is converted to one or the other on the server when you PUBLISH... You should just be saving the files as default .bvp.. and changing them in the PAGE properties.. right click on the page.. properties.. and select either php or html. On your computer they should all be .bvp else you will get errors.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

There won't be any technical issues from having two files with the same name but one being a .html and the other a .php. You may end up with an issue of one of your users manually typing in the url and going to the html instead of the php, but assuming you have your links correct on your entire site there shouldn't be any issues.

However you can always go in and delete the page you don't need to use and only have the one with the correct extension running. (This is good practice anyway, generally you probably don't want to have outdated pages running on your site forever).

Generally the major downside to changing the file extension is some SE issues, but since there files are going to be protected anyway, it won't matter if SE's find it to be a new page or any other issue as they won't be able to index any content on the page anyway.

Register/Login Script
          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Thanks Watadflip for your response. Thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

Comment

Working...
            X