Directory Script?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directory Script?

I'm creating a website and I need to have a site search function exactly like the one on yellowpages.com, where it searches city/state and category. I've done some research and I come up with products like: phpmydirectory; cplinks; directory pro; esyndicat. I've also searched fantastico but I'm new to this and I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Can someone point me in the right direction and let me know if any of the products I listed will do what I need or if there is any other product that will do what I need. Also, let me know if any of these products are compatible with my voda hosting account.

Re: Directory Script?

The scripts you mention must be installed to a separate Directory within your hosting account, and then be configured upon the website in question. You may also consider creating a 3rd party function via some of the many Directory services (often also called "Digest" scripts).

Or, simply do a Google Search for a simple page-based script that has the features you require, which can then be added to your BlueVoda web pages via the BV HTML Box as detailed in the Video Tutorials ...

> How To Add HTML To BlueVoda Web Pages

> Complete BlueVoda Video Tutorial Library

> Complete Web-Building Tutorial Archive
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks Vasili good info! I will see what I can find. So are you saying that the scripts that I listed will do what I need when I configure them in my hosting account?

Comment

Possibly ... I have a feeling you are over-thinking things, and are swimming in what looks like a sea of possible solutions when you should be seeking a much simpler approach and script. Personally.

People generally are quite extravagant in their own perspectives, especially on how grandiose they envision their business operations. Throw in the new world of website functions, and things get easily out of hand and frustratingly nowhere. It pays to have a proven business acumen and a prevailing common-sense approach to all things web, in order to keep focused on the critical elements of design rather than imagined ones.

Comment

Ok, I will take your advice and go simpler. I'm really not trying to make this complicated, I'm just trying to find my way...Can you recommend any places where I could find a page-based script that would work for me. Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Let me look at your site to see which will work best .... in your mind, you are improperly blending Search with Navigation (filters), and by looking at your site, I can tell what it is you are actually requiring.

Comment

Well, I'm in the process of building the site. But let me explain exactly what I need. I want a search function that when visitors come to my site they will be able to search for a specific business or organization (lawyer, bakery, non-profit organization, auto repair shop, etc.) in a specific city and state. When they come to the site and want find bakeries in Orlando, FL they will type in "Bakery" (first search bar) and then type in "Orlando, FL" (second search bar) and click the search button. This particular search will take them to a page that has a list of Bakeries located in Orlando, FL where they will click on the bakery they desire and get that bakery's info...just like the search function on the yellow pages.com site. I also would like it to have a suggestions function for when they begin to type in their request in the search bar. I hope this kinda clears up what Im asking for. Again, thanks for your help, it is much appreciated!

Comment

Much easier to create "City" or "State" Sub-Folders that an omnibus "Search" tool, trust me. 1-2 click navigation is not an inconvenience for Visitors who are sure of what they want and clearly appreciative o the clarified means to find it.

I've done the same myself with great consumer acceptance > EXAMPLE

S-I-M-P-L-I-F-Y .... It is the predictable logic behind K.I.S.S and why it still works best.

Comment

Working...
                X