X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pages can't open

Hi,

I have almost finished my website, but there are some mistakes what I can't correct without your help...

I can't open some pages from my Home page. The same pages open without any problem from other pages.
    From HOME I can't open ABOUT US, ROUND&ABOUT, CONTACT US. Error 404. It works perfectly well from other pages.

Hre is the website www.manor-hinton-in-the-hedges.com

Hope for your help and advices
    and
    Thank you very much!

MIla

Need your help please...

Hi,

I have almost finished my website, but there are some mistakes what I can't correct without your help...

I can't open some pages from my Home page. The same pages open without any problem from other pages.
    From HOME I can't open ABOUT US, ROUND&ABOUT, CONTACT US. Error 404. It works perfectly well from other pages.

Hre is the website www.manor-hinton-in-the-hedges.com

Hope for your help and advices
    and
    Thank you very much!

MIla

Comment

Re: Need your help please...

It's just because the links are incorrectly named on your Home page. Read them carefully and you will see the difference. However, the fact that you have a Home page and an index page is not standard practice. You may wish to consider combining both pages into one and publishing it as "index"; all links to this page could be labled "Home" if you like, but the actual link would be exactly the same as the website address you posted above.
      CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
      CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
      CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Re: Some pages can't open

Hi Tom,
        Thanks a lot, I thought it may be the reason, but I didn't find any difference. I will look again...
        About the linking: does it mean that I must create only one page instead of two and have it as HOME? Or link two pages under the same name?
        Thak you again!
        Mila

Comment

As you probably know, your first page, the one that opens when someone goes to your website, must be named index.html (or index.php). Many people refer to the index page as the "Home" page, but that's not what it should actually be named as the Internet address. On every website you see, any link that says Home will, when clicked, go to that site's index page.

Let's say someone googles a website. They may be looking, for example, for www.mywebsite.com. The Internet knows to go to the index page there when someone clicks that link--the Internet always looks for the index page attached to that website, which is why you MUST have a page named index. And that's why you don't need a page named home.html.

Your opening page is the most important one on your site. The information there needs to draw the viewer into your site by quickly building interest. In my opinion, most people won't read beyond a very few seconds (2-4) before they decide to stay for more info or leave forever. Therefore, your index.html page should be short and sweet, with links that interested people can follow for greater detail. Just remember, any link back to your index page can be called Home if you like that title (most do), but the actual link needs to be the name of your website because that's what will take you back to the index page.
          CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
          CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
          CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

To make it simple and understandable, it is necessary to follow the explanations and instructions precisely as outlined in the Tutorials:

1. The fist page of your website must be Saved as "index" only (do not add any extensions such as ".bvp" or ".html" at all) using all lower case letters.

Each additional page must also be named and Saved with a Title, such as "about" or "about_company" even "about-my-company" to reflect no spaces or symbols (use either an underscore "_" or a hyphen "-" only).

Since the "index" page is defaulted as the first page of your website, the "return link" to your 'Home page' needs only be written without any page names, simply as your Domain: "www.MyWebsite.com" or "http://www.mywebsite.com"

You may use anything you wish at the Label to your Link, but the hyperlinks must be entered using the formal format. For example, you may have a Menu (or a graphic button) labeled "HOME" but that hyperlink must be entered as "http://www.mywebsite.com" only .... you may have a page shown in your Menu labeled as "About The Company" and the page itself Named, Saved, and Published as "company" (again, using lowercase letters only), and the link you would enter for the "About The Company" Menu would be "http://www.mywebsite.com/company.html"

It is important that any navigation displayed across each of your site pages have exactly the same hyperlinks properly entered so you can navigate page-to-page. If your navigation is not working, it is usually because you have not entered the same links, used wrong page names, or some other similar errors.

These are all Basic Skills outlined in the Tutorials regarding How To Name and Save Pages in BlueVoda and in the Hyperlinking Your BlueVoda Pages. There are individual Tutorials for the different Tools and methods of creating Navigation also, and you should review them all even if not using the mentioned method just to understand the overall concepts:
            Fixed MenuBars
            Sliding MenuBars
            Creating Links Using Text Only
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
            X