This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE V Firefox

I hope this posting is in the correct forum, anyway....

Thinking about going from IE to Firefox,

Can anyone give me pros v cons?
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Re: IE V Firefox

A google search will produce a pretty hefty list of reasons why you should switch.

Personally I will be using FireFox indefinitely, but a short list of reasons why to switch is FF is more secure, has more features, updated continuously, more configurable, and more up to date with current web standards.
    Oh and don't forget that is open source, so its not controlled by a company that cares more about making money then producing a quality product.

The only reason that the majority of the internet uses IE is because it comes default with a new computer, and many many people are not aware that they can use another program besides IE to use the internet.

The only big con I can think of is some websites are built specifically for IE, and they won't run in FF. Its not many, the only ones I come across are University run websites, and were designed specifically for IE, (they aren't simple websites, one for instance is used to install software onto your computer for your classes) so its not websites you will come across when using a search engine.

And its not like when you make the switch you can't go back, you can still use both browser, even at the same time.

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Thank you mate. Appreciate your time.
      Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

I use both, but generally design in IE and tweak for Firefox.
        Liz
        www.sebastopolparty.com
        www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Hi,

My recommendations is to use both.

Pro. U cant download microsoft upgrades and other of their stuff
          using Firefox.

Anyway U have nothing to lose as U can test your BV webpages using both to ensure that both users of IE and Firefox will the same pages.
          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Hi, i tend to use FF for 90% of the time when using BV & then check in IE that it all works. I tend to find that most of the things you do with BV & using FF as your browser tends to work in IE. But if using IE don't necessarily work in FF. Things like word/line spacing. (would much rather have a gap than text falling outside boxes or over lapping. Also found FF a lot better for investigating other website pages, even down to simple quick things like! View image & view page info.
            You might have to check that you are up to date with all the PlugIns that FF needs. But you will usually get a warning if you visit a page that needs one.

Cheers.
            Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I Prefere to yse Firefox !

Comment

Also I see that Firefox it s faster than I.E I always use them twice!

Comment

I use FF 99% of the time. IE is SO slow. But had to use IE recently as an insurance site I was checking my profile on, only ran on IE.

I wish ppl would wake up and use FF! Take back the web as they say.

Chao

Will
                  A manual to help small-business owners . http://www.entrepreneurshipz.com

Comment

im a converted FF user, it better, cooler and pages seem to load faster. i also preview my pages in firefox and double check in ie

bluerovers
                    bluerovers
                    www.bluerovers.co.nz
                    www.five-a-side.co.nz

Comment

IE...

Most sites are Built around Internet Explorer.
                      Internet Explorer has more compatiblity.

Comment

Personally, I build in IE and use SlimBrowser to get me around the web (also OS, but much slicker than FireFox, and is not so finnicky). Besides, I can skin it with whatever look I am in the mood for!

The real reason so many of you are "FireFox Fanatics" is because it was the first FREE alternative to IE way-back-when, and not because it was superior in any way whatsoever (which just goes to show you how simple marketing works wonders)!

As a matter of fact, many of the issues FF faces yet today (and provides so much constranation here in VT) have not been resolved effectively to satisfy most professionals on the net, let alone be an obvious constant nuisance to casual users......like the mention of MS updates and many downloads not processing properly -- almost forces one to get a third utility such as IDM just to take care of business!

* One of the first and still the best alternatives to IE which not only is more robust and multi-functional but is also the same foundation many other utilities are based on by sharing/*******ting code is the browser in ACT.....but, this all-in-one tool (admin, email, contact manager, browser, HTML doc preparer, etc.) seems too difficult for the majority of people to learn how to use.
                        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I'd like to see the article(s) about professionals on the net not preferring FF- I do know that most techies do prefer FF. And if you'd like, can post links to Matt Cutts and others who have done research from their own statistics.

Now, if by professionals, we are simply talking the average professional business person - I don't know that they prefer IE - they simply aren't as computer savvy and IE comes preinstalled on their computers - and most have no clue how to change it.

There are problems inherent in both systems, but FF usually wins hands down in the techie internet fields.
                          Beth
                          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Some examples where I get my information on techies preferring FF:

They must use FF if they all are talking about their favorite extensions:
                            A few months ago I decided to start a blog. I told a friend about my decision. “I’m going to start a blog,” I said. “Oh, what type of blog are you going to do?” my fri…

Stats put together from a convention of techie people:
                            At Pubcon in Vegas, the speakers did a bit of 10-second market research on 1000+ site owners and webmasters. The questions were: “How many of you use IE as your primary browsers? Now, how man…

Now, I don't say anyone should use one over the other. I have to admit to using IE most of the time - probably because it's what I'm used to - and yep, change sometimes needs to be forced on me. But I use both - and have to admit - there's stuff I can do with FF that IE can't - and one of these days, I just might change around to usually using FF.
                            Beth
                            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Deleting posts only to quote from a single "favorite" source is not not what is generally considered acceptable.

As an Oracle Partner and a CISCO Affiliate, I know for a fact the 'professionals' abhor FireFox and its inherent faults. For the most part, when "on campus" the dictate is to first use a proprietary utility, ACT second, and a control Linux device third.

If you prefer to limit your "examples" to slightly more familiar public users (which may qualify as 'techies') then both you and your "source" may have validity with regard to the perponderance of user preference, but again, that is primarily a result of , 1) availability (free) and, 2) being on a short list of IE alternatives.

Above all else, I do not enjoy the manner in which you slight my comments, which are substantiable and personal insights both.
                              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                              X