Content and Improving Search Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Content and Improving Search Results

I've been working on my website for a couple of years trying to use the correct content on my pages to come up in google search for keywords. For example, the search term soy candles, I fluctuate between position 35-45. Can anyone make suggestions on how to increase my position. Would it be better if my page names were soy_candles.html vs soycandles.html? Do I need more content? I look at site that come up before mine and I don't see that much of a difference in content but I'm sure I'm missing the obvious.

Thank you,
    Brenda
    CT River Candles
    www.ctrivercandles.com
    Brenda
    www.ctrivercandles.com

Re: Content and Improving Search Results

That's a big question you're asking there :)

Search engine optimization can take a lot of careful research.
    A good tool you can use is here:
    https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

Use this tool to find good keywords.

The term 'soy candles' might be hard to rank for, but there will lots of other related keywords that you can try to optimise for.

It's an ongoing process to find out what works best for your website.

Having good links going to your website also helps with ranking.

Comment

A lot of people dislike having to underscore an url and it is easier to remember soycandles,

In your tags for your index page enter everything about candles and anything that has to do with candles, red-candles, green-candles, candle-stand, candlabra, candles-for-intimate-dining, birthday-candles, anniversary-candles, candle-blog, candle-forum,.....etc,etc
      just add a 1001 other tags with candle and what surfers will type in a search box.

Another neat trick is to use the word candle or candles in foreign languages equivalent.

The title of your page is also important as it will appear in the search index list.

You are in a very, very competitive market and for all you know there are 25,000 or even 50,000 other candle websites vying for the No1 spot.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

just to add on what Zuriatman raised,perhaps the issue is whether your pages are suffiently Search Engine Optimized or not and hence your low google rankink.SEO is a vast subject on its own and you may have to consult experts in this field to have a look at your entire website..

Comment

Thank you all for the info....some great ideas. I wasn't doing alot with the keywords because I thought Google wasn't using them anymore...right now I have the basic ones but I'll add more. While I would love to consult with a professional seo organization to review site, my company is still relatively new and my budget is still pretty tight for extras. I have no idea what it would cost either so if anyone has a range that would be helpful...possibly it's one of those expenses that would pay for itself quickly and I shouldn't overlook.
          Brenda
          www.ctrivercandles.com

Comment

Do NOT change page names - you'd have to start from scratch in a very tough field if you did that. But there is a lot you could do on your page to optimize. You are actually spending more time optimizing your NAME - which isn't necessary, than the words people will search for. You have a "headline" on the page of "Clean - Natural - Soy" and that doesn't even have your main keywords - soy candle or soy candles - in it. The top left - the first thing the se's see - is about free shipping - which should be your keywords. And shouldn't be above your navigation - because when people GET to your site, you want them to be able to navigate it easily.

You have a lot good - but it's all now in how you arrange the pages and what words you really optimize for - I'd say you're spending way too much time optimizing for your name - instead of your products.

That said - you're in a good position in the se - considering the competition and your optimization! Keep up the good work.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks Bethers...
              I never knew that where you positioned text boxes and such on a page mattered to the search engines. Just so I understand correctly, you're saying they read the page from left to right? Sorry if this a silly question. Also just to confirm, the se read the titles on the navigation buttons?

Usually when I working on a page, I'm trying to make it not look too cluttered and have it flow. My concept with that text box in the left corner was so a customer could see some bullets quickly regarding my site and business without reading all of the text...
              Brenda
              www.ctrivercandles.com

Comment

Working...
              X