Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple site maps

hi guys.
    in my public_html folder i have say three sites now where do i put the site maps do i put them all in public_html folder or do i put one in each of the site folders, i hope this makes sense
    thanks
    johnny

Re: multiple site maps

One uniquely created sitemap per website, uploaded to the the server to the proper public_html/ directory.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

ok. do i have to change the sitemap names eg. for site1.co.uk would be site1.xml

also in what context do you mean " the proper public_html directory"

thanks
      johnny

Comment

This is supposed to be a simple thing ....

It is up to you to keep each generated sitemap for each website sorted and separate.
        You do not change the name of the sitemap.xml file whatsoever: it must remain "sitemap.xml" for each of the websites (thus the need to pay attention and keep them separate and sorted).
        Each website has its own public_html/ directory (prtimary, add-on, or sub-domain ... makes no difference: they all have the same directory) ..... this is where you go into your Control Panel and using the UPLOAD feature within File Manager, you load each unique sitemap into the "proper" directory (the right sitemap.xml file for the right website).

You can create Google-friendly sitemaps HERE, and after each is created (the website needs be complete and ready for a sitemap before creating a file, of course) you will then SAVE each to a specific location on your computer until it is time to upload each specifically to the directory it needs to be.

Think of it as putting the right Name tag on the right person at a party. It would serve no purpose to put "John" on "Tom" or to pur it on their shirt under their jacket, now then would it?

Comment

i dont thinks mine is right.

when i first enter my ftp i choose public_html
          then inside i have all my sites but none of them have there own public_html directory.

it has been this way ever since i set my account up
          thanks
          johnny

Comment

In fact they do .... even if you incorrectly created them, they will all still have a "folder within a folder" and once opened will display the directory.

Most likely you did not create the add-on or sub-domain properly, if you are confused about the heirarchy you are viewing. You'll find everything you need to know about add-on and sub-domains here >> http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/347907-post8.html

Between the instructions in this thread on how to properly create and implement sitemaps and the instructions provided above on how to create Add-On and Sub-Domains, you have everything you need to do what is expected.

Comment

Working...
            X