X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im very new.

Hi

I hope someone can help as I have completely lost confidence in myself! I have an account and website with Blue Voda (www.emigratetv.com) which I built using the Website Builder.

I have another website for my brother, currently hosted by another company. Rather than transfer the current website I want to rebuild it using Blue Voda then transfer the hosting and domain name to BV.

1) to rebuild this second website should I download another "website builder" - I don't want to confuse the new one with the current website folders

2) do I have to pay another hosting fee for this second website?

3) I've told the current provider I don't wish to renew hosting with them. What else do I need to do?

Sorry for all these questions but I've no idea where to start!

Thanks

Re: Hosting question-have lost confidence...

1) No you don't

2) If your brother owns the domain. He should have his own VH Account. If you have the domain transfered into your name, then you can use your own account by creating an addon domain in your CP.

3) Decideon the above

Regards

Darren
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

If the domain is legally registered in your brother's name, he will need to establish his own separate hosting account: you cannot host a website for a domain not owned by youself in your personal VodaHost hosting account, even as an add-on, for that would constitute "hosting by proxy" which is basically "reselling," and a violation of VodaHost Terms of Service.

You do not need to download another copy of Blue Voda unless your brother's assigned server is not on the list in your current copy when you go to publish.

When you save pages to a "new" website in Blue Voda, you simply need to click on "New Folder" and create a name for the new site and then save pages in this separate folder. Very easy to keep organized and accessible.

>> Before you cancel everything at the current hosting company, I would suggest you logon to his account via the Customer Account Panel there and simply copy all the files from the server onto your local system (your computer) via the FTP client they provide, just to have a backup or archive of the website. It might prove handy even if just to see details as you dutifully duplicate it using Blue Voda, or if you need to copy the files over to his account on a temporary basis until you get it done.
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks for your help. The current website and domain name for my brother are in my name as I originally set it up for him so there's no conflict of interest.

It sounds as if I don't need to pay any extra for hosting, but is there a charge for transferring the new domain name?

Thanks again

Comment

If not requested during account purchase, then there is a small fee to transfer a domain (usually just a year's renewal fee).

TRANSFER DOMAINS IN YOUR DASHBOARD VIA VBS

Comment

Sorry-one more question. You mentioned creating an add-on domain in my CP panel. How does this work if it is not connected at all to my curernt website. It is a completely different website with a different name? I'm sure I'm being very dense but how do I get pages published to this new website? It sounds as if an add-on domain would publish to my current site.

Comment

Your VodaHost account is able to host unlimited add-on domains and sub-domains, as advertised! Your current website is but one domain associated with this account presently, but can be one of many should you so elect.

Like the term suggests, this domain is being "added onto" your account: it would be helpful if you became completely familiar with the concept, tasks associated with, and techniques regarding establishing add-on domains before you initiate any processes at the current host and/or domain Registrar.

You will find specific Tutorials in this list here.

Comment

Jasmine

Forget about the addon domain if your brother will be having his own account. His will be treated seperately to yours, with his own unique publishing details.

Vaselli rightly said download a fresh copy of Bluevoda as the chance are your version won't have all the latest IP addresses for publishing.

Darren
                Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Thanks again for your help. Will revisit the tutorials!

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenC View Post
                    Forget about the addon domain if your brother will be having his own account. His will be treated seperately to yours, with his own unique publishing details.
                    Vaselli rightly said download a fresh copy of Bluevoda as the chance are your version won't have all the latest IP addresses for publishing.
                    No, it will be created as an add-on domain based on the reply to my earlier question:
                    Originally posted by jasmine07 View Post
                    Thanks for your help. The current website and domain name for my brother are in my name as I originally set it up for him so there's no conflict of interest.

Isn't it great we have so much good support here? Almost like having a Guarantee of Success!

PS: Don't forget to do some background review in the Domains/DNS Forums, so you can clearly see your direction and avoid common pratfalls!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                      No, it will be created as an add-on domain based on the reply to my earlier question:

Isn't it great we have so much good support here? Almost like having a Guarantee of Success!

PS: Don't forget to do some background review in the Domains/DNS Forums, so you can clearly see your direction and avoid common pratfalls!

OOOPs My mistake. Sorry Vasili. Missed that post!
                      Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Working...
                      X