Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If my computer crashes I lose everything ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If my computer crashes I lose everything ?

Hi

I have been building my website using Blue Voda and Vodahost for about a month and realized yesterday when I deleted a picture from my computer that it also took it off my website, which I assume means that my website recognizes my computer as a kind of server, is that right ? How can I protect myself and my website if my computer were to die. I assume if that happened all the data on my computer that linked to my website would be lost, like pictures, videos, pdf files etc How can I protect myself ?

Thank You'

Beachblue

Re: If my computer crashes I lose everything ?

If an image has been published and you have since deleted it from your PC, I think you will find it is still on your website but will not display as you expect on the BV builder. Never a problem you can always work round it or reinsert the exact one back in.

It is good practice to back up all your files to either

1) CD/DVD
    2) USB memory Stick
    3) External Hard Drive

If computer dies, buy a new one, download latest version of BV. Copy your BV files, images, pdfs etc etc. back into the bluevoda file and away you go.

Darren
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Thanks Darren C

If I back up all my blue voda files do I also have to go in to my picture files, pdf files etc that are linked to my website and copy those to the usb stick or by just backing up the Blue Voda files will that contain them ?

Comment

Everything to do with your website copy to your back up device. BV Pages, Images the lot.
        Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

This is weird as I just made a copy of everything, the entire BV file and copied on a usb. I installed BV on my wifes pc and then transferred all the files on to her pc in the same location as on mine. When you pull up an index on hers all the pictures are missing.

I looked and all of the pictures are in the proper files ( so it seems).

I actually did replace my hard drive a month ago and backed it all up on my pc prior to the new install and all worked fine.

What am I doing wrong?
          www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

That's exactly what I wondered would happen. I had hoped that the pictures I used from my general picture file would transfer in to the BV files but it seems they borrow them but don't copy them. I think I am going to put all the pics I use in a seperate folder and then put them on to a usb stick so if the worst happens I know where they are. Of course it is something that will have to be done regularly as the site is updated with new pictures etc. Murphy's Law says that the computer will crash not just after you have backed up all your files but when you are thinking it's time I backed up my files again !!!

Comment

Seeing I got a whole new hardrive on this pc, it is like putting it on a brand new pc. It may have something to do with the bv I downloaded? I have a copy also on my memory stick and probably used it to reload bv.

I save a copy remotely and on 2 different back ups as well. Another thing I am trying to figure out is if you update at home and you want to work on the site at the office, if you update a page and then at the office you have not and you upload it , it will be the old copy...

So I would assume if you want to work remotely you would have to get pc anywhere and work on your site remotely?

This is very important as I may need to do updates while on vacation.
              www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

Hi,

First an answer to beachble's question
                when I deleted a picture from my computer that it also took it off my website,

Should not happen. Your assumption is incorrect.
                Once you publish your page using BV, BlueVoda automatically converts whatever is on your webpage to html.
                There is no link whatsoever between your server and your pc as you assumed.

To Kortia's Question on missing pics.

It is a bad idea to design you website using different computers. From my experience is to stick to only one, and your pc is the best.

To prevent missing pics open folders in C:\MyDocument\BlueVoda
                for your all your pics, images and photos seperately. Then copy all the pics and graphics that you want to use for your webpage to these folders and never move or borrow them for use elsewhere.

Your BlueVoda folders are linked to your webpages you are creating with your BlueVoda websitebuilder. For as long as you do not move anything from the above folders you will not experience any missing items in your BlueVoda webpage when you open them.
                www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Yea, it happen to me once because I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Beta. As usual, I download the BV Builder again on Windows 7 Beta. But I have missing pictures even I paste the original BV files back to my laptop after formating. However, I was lucky that I saved everything in my external HardDrive.

So I open the BV files as usual double click it to it's properties and reload the pictures.

Now I prepared a FOLDER solely for BV. All pictures/pdf/docx will be saved in there. If I am updating my site (eg; change of picture) I will copy the picture to that FOLDER first before I import the pictures to BV Builder. That way, whatever is in BV Builder, it's in my FOLDER.

I also created SUB-FOLDER just like in BV Builder.

FOLDER >> INDEX
                  >> ABOUT US
                  >> CONTACT US
                  >> SUBSCRIBE

and etc..... Do that so you'll never need to spend unnecessary time looking for pictures. (Actually, when you double click the pictures in BV Builder, it shows the location of that picture)

Hope this helps....

Regards,
                  Foo
                  Best Regards,

Foo

Comment

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
                    Hi,

First an answer to beachble's question
                    when I deleted a picture from my computer that it also took it off my website,

Should not happen. Your assumption is incorrect.
                    Once you publish your page using BV, BlueVoda automatically converts whatever is on your webpage to html.
                    There is no link whatsoever between your server and your pc as you assumed.

To Kortia's Question on missing pics.

It is a bad idea to design you website using different computers. From my experience is to stick to only one, and your pc is the best.

To prevent missing pics open folders in C:\MyDocument\BlueVoda
                    for your all your pics, images and photos seperately. Then copy all the pics and graphics that you want to use for your webpage to these folders and never move or borrow them for use elsewhere.

Your BlueVoda folders are linked to your webpages you are creating with your BlueVoda websitebuilder. For as long as you do not move anything from the above folders you will not experience any missing items in your BlueVoda webpage when you open them.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Me and my wife make money from the internet at home so we hardly go anywhere, however I do all of the web work for all the sites. I really will need to figure out a way to keep up my marketing/maintenance while traveling.

I do keep my folders in the C:\MyDocument\BlueVoda and no telling what my wife did when she installed it on her pc...

Do you think it would work remotely? PC anywhere or a program like it?

I will try a few things out and mybe even try the remote storage.

A few years ago I had to go back and forth to work and work at both locations.
                    www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

Hi Kortia,

How about a laptop? Hehe... Wouldn't that solve the issue?
                      If you want a mini laptop (might even fit in your pouch), you should try mini HP or mini ****... They work fine... Or if you really need a desktop, try the DELL Hybrid, it's has the similar size as Mac mini..

After that, you'll just need to borrow a monitor. However, I'll still prefer a laptop..
                      Best Regards,

Foo

Comment

Hi Kortia,

Your windows allow you to set up a home network.
                        Once your network is setup you can connect to your home pc remotely from anywhere.

In Control Panel select network and set up your home network.
                        first you have to select system and system properties you select remote and check the box for remote assistance then go advance and check the box which allows your computer remotely.

Get somebody who is computer savvy to help you set it up.

If you decide to go this way ensure you have a good internet virus software installed. [Not the free ones].
                        www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                        Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                        State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

A laptop yes is the best solution, but I prefer the power of a desktop.
                          I run a lot of heavy programs. Especially on the SEO side. Then add photoshop,dreamweaver, bv and office all running at the same time.

I just sold a TX1000. My wife uses a laptop and loves it. OF course it never leaves her desk.

zuriatman I do have a network. We have high speed Cable, 20k down 3500 up and several pc's on it. I have never used remote pc network so I will look into it.
                          I also build my pc's.

I will learn how to do remote. I also use the best Antivirus 50.00 a year
                          I wonder if there is a way to use off site storage? Anyone know of a good offsite storage? I use one that is not all that great.
                          Thanks for your help!
                          Last edited by kortia; 05-02-2009, 07:37 PM. Reason: typos :)
                          www.rodharper.com (new)

Comment

Reverse the fan and you can keep your coffee warm.

"Carbonite" is highly spoken of around here, offsite storage-wize.
                            CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
                            CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
                            CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

THHATTS AWESOME...Coffee warm... lol :)

Comment

Working...
                              X