Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New PC Question

Originally posted by Leeza View Post
    Thanks for your reply! Yes, I think I must go back to XP...why they come out with new programs before they are "user friendly" ...I suppose they MUST want all of us to tell them our problems.

Unfortunately, Vista came with my new computer. Is there any way to revert back to IE7 /XP without paying for it? Anyone hear Microsoft offering this for those having problems?

Have a GOOD day!
    Leeza
    For the BEST Price on Real Solutions, use this link and then "search" using these words: XP Pro OEM ......you will find a selection to fit your budget, and have the CD to re-boot/restore from at will, or to even "upgrade" another computer!

I am debating between XP Pro SP 2 and the Media Edition (the media edition has neat extras the standard Xp doesn't, and when it comes to web-building, they may come in handy...) These prices are the best I have found, and are about $300 less than what you can get at Staples or the like....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Lisa,
      Is your main problem the font sizing changing? I just did an internet search and read a computer guy talking about some problems he's encountered with Vista and here's #9: "Explorer keeps losing my view settings. THIS IS DRIVING ME UP THE FARKING WALL! "

Now, this would be a pain, but you can go back in and change them to be what you want every time you start your computer - and that should then keep things showing as they should. (Won't solve the picture problems). This quote came from: http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/02/27/...g-up-with-you/ and is from last February - so hopefully some of these bugs have been worked out with the Vista patches.

Have you or any of these people working on your computer made sure it's got any/all of the Vista upgrades/patches (if they've come out yet)?

It obviously is not that Vista and BV are not compatible, because many, many folks are working with both and not having these problems. But, obviously, you are having some problems - and unfortunately, those of us who know BV are guessing that all the settings in your computer are right - as we can't see them.

Just realize, if you do get XP again - you have to reformat your hard drive before installing it - or it won't work. And there is no guarantee that if these problems are in your system settings changing will fix it - it won't. However if the problem is with Vista, it should.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks Beth and Vasili. I will do what I can here. I'm so, so lost. I wrote another post about my experience with Vodahost. Regardless if the problem is theirs or not...I just wanted them to show me that it definitely was not, and told them if I had to go back to xp FINE, ...but I sure don't need that kind of treatment by ANYONE. Especially when I am paying them.

You guys are wonderful (((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
          Lisa,
          Is your main problem the font sizing changing? I just did an internet search and read a computer guy talking about some problems he's encountered with Vista and here's #9: "Explorer keeps losing my view settings. THIS IS DRIVING ME UP THE FARKING WALL! "

Now, this would be a pain, but you can go back in and change them to be what you want every time you start your computer - and that should then keep things showing as they should. (Won't solve the picture problems). This quote came from: http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/02/27/...g-up-with-you/ and is from last February - so hopefully some of these bugs have been worked out with the Vista patches.

Have you or any of these people working on your computer made sure it's got any/all of the Vista upgrades/patches (if they've come out yet)?
          ^^^ I will check for patches. Thanks.

It obviously is not that Vista and BV are not compatible, because many, many folks are working with both and not having these problems. But, obviously, you are having some problems - and unfortunately, those of us who know BV are guessing that all the settings in your computer are right - as we can't see them.

^^^ I do not understand why, if they are, everyone- everyone but the forum and Voda- tells me it is a BV problem. Ok, I will go with that it is not a compatibility issue but something else. I will just have to find yet another person to try to help me.

Just realize, if you do get XP again - you have to reformat your hard drive before installing it - or it won't work. And there is no guarantee that if these problems are in your system settings changing will fix it - it won't. However if the problem is with Vista, it should.
          ^^^ scary. that's about all I can say to this paragraph. Please wish me luck.

Leeza

Comment

Leeza, if it's a compatibility issue - then everyone using Vista would have the same thing - unless it's a gremlin on YOUR Vista - which from that guy, looks like could happen with the original Vista. And that doesn't make it a BV problem - it makes it a Vista problem.

That said - you have a problem - and none of us can really see into your computer to see why/how.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

And Leeza ... you might consider contacting Jeremy, I believe he uses Vista .. he might be willing to give you a friendly helping hand.

You really need to remember that blue voda is free software for you to use .. your voda hosting account is what you pay for and you are free to use any web building technique other than blue voda to create and publish your website...

This truly is not a VODA HOSTING issue ..

But ... with the help of many on here, hopefully you will get things running smoothly ...

EMAIL Jeremy - you can find his signature on this forum in his posts ... he might be willing to help you free....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
              02036089024 / United Kingdom
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

THanks friends. I've emailed Jeremy. I dont even care if it costs money anymore! Just need someone to 'fix me up.

Leeza

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
                  Lisa,Just realize, if you do get XP again - you have to reformat your hard drive before installing it - or it won't work. .
                  WOW
                  That's news to me! And, it makes no sense to me either, since I've done it twice so far without any problems, holding my breath all the way. Hmmmm.....
                  I have heard of cautions regarding switching OS though, but usually it has been the reverse caution: if upgrading to Vista, be sure to have a minimum of 1gb RAM (2 is much better), and keep in mind Vista is not a booted OS install (maning you don't get a CD, and you can only install each Vista license 3x before you have to re-purchase it).
                  I don't think it necessary to warn about loading XP onto units originally with 98, 2000, etc, since aren't many out there that haven't yet been either upgraded or traded, you think?
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

This is from 2 different forums - on computers that were not upgraded but STARTED with Vista - and from the Windows help desk - where I got that information while trying to find an answer for Lisa.

So - I did not pull that out of a hat. Maybe things have changed - but that's the information that I culled from the Windows website and from the forums I went to on doing this.
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Every time you upgrade or downgrade you get lingering files from previous builds unless you get a Clean install from formatting the drive. Lingering files can cause problems for other builds in either direction, so most likely thats why formatting was recommended. In the case of going back, it wouldnt remove NEWER versions of files named the same, therefore you could get lots of bugs if there was coding that applied to the upgraded system. Maybe SOME have gotten lucky because their particular SYSTEM was made to revert back to xp, which is an option at purchase. Maybe a version of Vista was newer than the one in question. Just because its installed on a NEW computer doesnt mean it isnt the first version that came out without ALL the patches etc. A computer can and often does sit on the shelf for months. One persons solution in this case isnt always going to work for the NEXT.

Lets say instead.. this solution worked for me, and it might work for you. Since we arent sitting in front of that computer seeing its operation, we cant tell, and I for one am tired of having to have a war to help someone. We should be helping each other, not pointing out who is right and who is wrong.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                        We should be helping each other, not pointing out who is right and who is wrong.

Karen

Amen Karen: That's Just Why I Luv Ya!! LOL ...

Totally agree!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
                          Every time you upgrade or downgrade you get lingering files from previous builds unless you get a Clean install from formatting the drive. Lingering files can cause problems for other builds in either direction, so most likely thats why formatting was recommended. In the case of going back, it wouldnt remove NEWER versions of files named the same, therefore you could get lots of bugs if there was coding that applied to the upgraded system. Maybe SOME have gotten lucky because their particular SYSTEM was made to revert back to xp, which is an option at purchase. Maybe a version of Vista was newer than the one in question. Just because its installed on a NEW computer doesnt mean it isnt the first version that came out without ALL the patches etc. A computer can and often does sit on the shelf for months. One persons solution in this case isnt always going to work for the NEXT.

Lets say instead.. this solution worked for me, and it might work for you. Since we arent sitting in front of that computer seeing its operation, we cant tell, and I for one am tired of having to have a war to help someone. We should be helping each other, not pointing out who is right and who is wrong.

Karen
                          I agree. I went outside of forum and out of Voda to get help with this, and have been told this is a formatting problem- but I do know you have all done everything humanly possible to help me here!!!...he says the formatting changed somehow when I went from XP to Vista. The gentleman is going to come back tomorrow or next day to help me. He seems very very confident that is the issue. I sure hope so. He fixed my (grrrr) Outlook yesterday when I've been too dumb to Ever get it right.

And I also agree, since something works for one it doesnt mean it works for all. E.G. if someone tells me they are "using BV right now" well, is that a new machine? A purchased upgrade? Is that a BV website they were working on before in XP or is it a new site? I don't know, but I would think this could make a difference. I have a new computer that Came With Vista..and they did NOT tell me I had a choice! I sure wish I'd known that. But then again, when I took it back first time, the Geek Squad swore it wasnt the computer...etc.

Anyhoo, I really really appreciate everyone in this forum helping me as you have- not just on this issue, but on each and every one!!...and will definitely let you know all I can make sense of, once Eric comes over and does or does not solve my problem! I really think it just might be useful, even if just one of the 90,000 people who have downloaded this could be helped by that. (hey, GO BV- I noticed you hit that 90,000 mark yesterday or today.)
                          Leeza

Comment

Working...
                          X