How important are <h1> tags to SE's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important are <h1> tags to SE's?

In trying to optimize for viewing in IE, Opera & Firefox, I have overlap in Firefox that seems to be from adding <h1> tags in the HTML. I think I can eliminate the overlapping by removing the tags. Any comments????

Thanks,
    Tim

NashvilleOutdoors.net

Re: How important are &lt;h1&gt; tags to SE's?

The H1 tags should not cause overlapping. They are a code saying what that text is. Now, if the h1 tag is causing the text size to be bigger, which in turn causes the overlapping - then you'd be better off adjusting the size of the text, not removing the tags.

There are mixed reviews on the importance of H1 tags. I'm one who believes they've made a difference on my sites - if they are used correctly and properly - which the se's are getting smarter and smarter and know. But, if removed, and the headlines are used properly without them, it's possible that you'll get a similar response - just, in my opinion, it will take longer to get it.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks Beth,
      Somehow when I added <h1>, <h2>, etc. tags to the box headings on my site, firefox drops them like 1/2 of an inch, mixing them with another text box. I can't get it to work. Should I put the header tag inside the article instead of the box title? Opera seems to work GREAT when I try it.

Comment

Hi, its a real pain with FF & IE, Would be nice if someone can confer this is ok? What you maybe able to do, is place the text on the page as hidden (cant see it) with css.
        Paste the code below into the head of your page. This will be ok for h1/2/3 tags

HTML Code:
        <style type="text/css">
        h1 {color: #black; text-align: center; font-family: arial; font-size: 120%; visibility:hidden;}
        h2 {color: #black; text-align: center; font-family: arial; font-size: 100%; visibility:hidden;}
        h2 {color: #black; text-align: center; font-family: arial; font-size: 80%; visibility:hidden;}
        </style>
        Then put your h1 tag into the page using a html box. Like the one below.

HTML Code:
        <h1>Welcome to Nashville Outdoors adventure, recreation and conservation.</h1>
        Good luck.
        Hopefully beth will confer this is ok. as its a real pain trying to get these sort of tags on a tightly space page as you have.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I've had the problem with firefox dropping some things, also - not just these.

How are you now adding them? With an html box? Or by adding the h1 to the text element?

I would not use the "visibility hidden" in the method above - as that could be construed as hidden text to the se's - and end up hurting you.

But if what Chris has put in the above is your current h1 - it's not good for you anyway - NO ONE is searching for Welcome to. Get rid of that - and just keep the rest.
          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Technical aspect apart: the h1 etc tags are showing the SEs the importance of a text line. Just like the headlines in a newspaper. So, in my opinion, they are important. However, they should not be used for every title, just the ones that are important from the page content point of view.
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

h1 tags still seem to be important from my experience
              I fixed this as follows:
              <style type="text/css">
              h1 {margin-bottom:0em; margin-top:0em; color: #black; text-align: left; font-family: BlackChancery; font-size: 200&#37;; }
              </style>
              It's the different margin sizes that mess things up, by setting them directly to whatever suits you it overrides the FF & IE defaults.

John
              CedarAtticVents.com Genuine Cedar Attic Vents, Gable Vents and Shutters in many Standard Designs and Sizes as well as Custom Made to Your Specifications
              HingeAndLatch.com Gate and Door Hardware with the look and feel of yesteryear. Traditional and Antique styles to enhance all your entrance-ways

Comment

Hi all - Can anyone perhaps tell me exactly where to put the h1 tags in the HTML here for the headline on my homepage - h1 tags do currently seem to be rather important to most search engines:

<font style="font-size:27px" color="#FFFFFF" face="Arial"><b>Do you want a piece of the</b> </font><font style="font-size:27px" color="#FF0000" face="Arial"><b>$1 500 000 000 000</font><font style="font-size:27px" color="#FFFFFF" face="Arial"></b> <b>that is traded 24/5, the most fluid financial instrument of all - i.e. the <u>Forex</u> (Foreign exchange) market? That's one with twelve zero's or </font><font style="font-size:27px" color="#FF0000" face="Arial"><i>one and a half trillion dollars</font><font style="font-size:27px" color="#FFFFFF" face="Arial"></i></b>!</font>

Tx in advance
                Thatchman

Comment

Originally posted by thatchman View Post
                  Hi all - Can anyone perhaps tell me exactly where to put the h1 tags in the HTML here for the headline on my homepage - h1 tags do currently seem to be rather important to most search engines:

<font style="font-size:27px" color="#FFFFFF" face="Arial"><b>Do you want a piece of the</b> </font><font style="font-size:27px" color="#FF0000" face="Arial"><b>$1 500 000 000 000</font><font style="font-size:27px" color="#FFFFFF" face="Arial"></b> <b>that is traded 24/5, the most fluid financial instrument of all - i.e. the <u>Forex</u> (Foreign exchange) market? That's one with twelve zero's or </font><font style="font-size:27px" color="#FF0000" face="Arial"><i>one and a half trillion dollars</font><font style="font-size:27px" color="#FFFFFF" face="Arial"></i></b>!</font>

Tx in advance
                  Thatchman
                  Thatchman.
                  to put in the H1 tags..
                  Right click on the text box that holds your headline
                  In the before tag place put <h1>
                  In the after tag place put </h1>
                  That's it

You can do the same for H2 tags, too

Also, I had the same Firefox problem you describe, and I placed this code;

</script>
                  <style type="text/css">
                  h1 {margin-bottom:0em; margin-top:0em; color: #black; text-align: center; font-family: BlackChancery; font-size: 21px; }
                  </style>
                  <style type="text/css">

in the page html, between head tag area, and it took care of it, same as John suggested above.
                  Liz
                  www.sebastopolparty.com
                  www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Well if you put all that into an h1 tag, you will drive the search engine nuts! Think newspaper headline.. not newspaper paragraph.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Okay, so if the H1 tag shouldn't cover all the below html, what is the best option, the only real word I want highlighted is Forex, highlighted below, so could I place the H1 tags within that Html to just highlight that specific word, and if so exactly where?

Tx in advance.
                      Thatchman

Comment

An h1 is NOT a sentence - it is a headline - if you don't want to put a headline on the page, you might as well forget having an h1. If Forex is what's important - then make a headline with it and put it in the h1 tags.
                        Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Tx very much - that makes perfect sense.

Another question regarding SEO, if I may, Vodahits search engine submitter tells me that I have the following issue with all my pages:

WARNING: The page uses JavaScript blocks.

The use of JavaScript blocks affects the proximity and density of your search terms. If you have JavaScript embedded in your page, all the search terms that fall below the JavaScript block will have less proximity and the more JavaScript on the page, the more diluted the density of your search terms are.

There is an easy workaround for this issue. Simply place your JavaScript code in remote files. An example is as follows:

<script language="JavaScript" src="yourscript.js"></script>

Then place the JavaScript in the 'yourscript.js' file.

How important is this as regards search engine listing, i.e. if I ignore it can it possibly have a majorly detremental effect on my search engine listing?

If I fix it, where and how exactly must I place the remote files?

Tx in advance
                          Thatchman

Comment

This is most likely referring to your menu navigation. You can get around this problem by adding text links in your footer, or good keyword rich text links through out your page, and other pages.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                            02036089024 / United Kingdom
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Tx, will do.

In your opinion, is a robots.txt file very important for a search engine friendly website?

Tx in advance
                              Thatchman

Comment

Working...
                              X