Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu

Hi everyone,

I was just introduced to this & I'd be very interested to hear any comments - for or against - from those of you who know about such things........ advantages, drawbacks - that sort of thing.....

thanks,
    david
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Re: Ubuntu

Ubuntu is one of the most known Linux distributions.

It is free. Runs on desltop systems as well as on servers.

As with all Linux systems, one of the main issues is compatibility with windows applications (that is, IF you need them)

For the same reason, linux based systems are not vulnerable to viruses (to most of them)

If you are using Windows applications and have invested money for software licenses, you might want to reconsider .

You could install it in a second pc, and after you become familiar with its features, applications, issues etc you can decide for yourself.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Full Wiki Definition > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system)

Free Download from Ubuntu Homepage > http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

(Not the first time discussed in these Forums, it is not compatible with Blue Voda, and might be considered a full OS as an alternative to MAC and Windows both, as Oracle's Open Office is trying to become with Applications)
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your input.

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
        .......it is not compatible with Blue Voda
        Eric, does this mean that if I was to switch to Ubuntu I would no longer be able to build my sites with BV? Or is there a way around the "compatibility" issue?
        david
        Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

Blue Voda is Windows-based, and entirely incompatible with Ubuntu.

As sugested earlier, you may wish to install it on an un-used system separate from your functional computer network to see if the investment in the learning curve and resultant "benefits" falls within your acceptable expectations before devoting much into it.

Comment

You can run Windows applications in Ubuntu using a Windows Emulator, as MacOS does.

However, compatibility is not guaranteed 100%

Many Computers can have both operating systems installed at the same time (Linux and Windows)
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
              You can run Windows applications in Ubuntu using a Windows Emulator, as MacOS does.
              Splitting hairs, which is why I did not mention it as a download with the others above: most Users are rather inexperienced and ill-prepared to configure a hack system, let alone be capable of doing their own troubleshooting when it comes to using Blue Voda ..... sometimes a little bit of knowledge is really not all that beneficial!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                ..... sometimes a little bit of knowledge is really not all that beneficial!
                You're absolutely right LOL....and that's why I raised the issue here.
                I had noticed in Ubuntu's 'blurb' that it is, indeed, possible to have both W..ows & U..u running on the same computer.
                I have, however, also read some posts on their support forum about
                UNinstalling U & there seem to be some real problems.....in that it's not so easy!
                I have Vista right now & am not having any real problems now that I've figured out all the storage "paths" :)......just was a little curious about U - they offer a lot of good stuff, I have to say........
                thanks again for your time in answering.
                david

Comment

Hi George,
                  still toying with the idea of Ubuntu & have the capacity to run it with Windows on my machine. Could be that someday I'll want to switch 100% to Ubuntu & so I'm looking at ways to continue my site-building "hobby".....what do you know about Kompozer, for example? Like very much to hear your opinions - good or bad!
                  many thanks,
                  david

Comment

Sorry, have no idea. They say looks like Dreamweaver, but I have no personal experience.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

The company were I work useses Ubuntu and we have the latest version installed with openoffice. (No licence to be paid)
                      We don't do anything fancy.
                      But, try installing flash player on Ubuntu, your computer skills have to be better than a standerd windows or mac user.

Comment

Originally posted by narobe View Post
                        The company were I work useses Ubuntu and we have the latest version installed with openoffice. (No licence to be paid)
                        We don't do anything fancy.
                        But, try installing flash player on Ubuntu, your computer skills have to be better than a standerd windows or mac user.
                        many thanks for that......been using OOo for a week or so now on Vista & veeeeery happy
                        If that's an example of the other apps that Ubuntu has to offer I'm getting ever closer lol

Comment

Working...
                        X