This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing pages To Subdomain

I have two questions concerning Sub-Domain Publishing.

Problem/Question 1:

So I made a subdomain (How do I know its a subdomain? I made it with the "Sub-domain" button in Cpanel) and published a page to folder: public_html/subdomain/

Yay, happy me. It works when I went to http://subdomain.mysite.com.

Then I read somewhere I wasn't supposed to and that I was supposed to publish it to the folder: public_html/mysite/subdomain/

Crud -- Failed. But it works?? So is that okay? Or is that a no-no?

------------------------
    Question 2:

So I want to add several pages onto my sub-domain (I assume I can do this). Do I publish to public_html/mysite/subdomain/ ?? And have it just add the page?

Usually I would assume so, but because of the above problem/question that I'm not entirely sure if I even did right-- how publishing to the file might just assume its the home page?? If I even correctly worded that.

----------------------------------------------

So anyway, right now I'm only assuming that my subdomain was published correctly, and that in order to publish more pages to the sub-domain I would need to publish to: public_html/mysite/subdomain/

I only assume this because I have not seen anything of a public_html/mysite/subdomain anywhere except that one page I happen to fall upon.

Though this is me just guessing because I cannot find a tutorial in BV tutorials or Cpanel tutorials on how to publish pages to a sub-domain.

Please and thank you for any help.

---------------------

Objective of post: To get confirmation/verification. And information on what I might have misread/mistaken concerning the "public_html/mysite/subdomain" inquiry(?).
    Last edited by Editha; 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM. Reason: adding info.
    Editha

Website 1
    Website 2

Re: Publishing pages To Subdomain

You need to publish an "index" page to your sub-domain so you can test whether the subdomain was installed properly.

Sub-domains takes at least 72 hours to propagate on the internet.

Test it after the 72 hour has lapsed by typing the url of your sub-domain into your browser.

Free classified ads with photos. Find houses and apts for rent, personals, jobs, cats, and dogs for sale.

By opening a new folder will keep your "public_html" neat and clean.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Originally posted by zuriatman View Post
      You need to publish an "index" page to your sub-domain so you can test whether the subdomain was installed properly.
      A. Sub-domains takes at least 72 hours to propagate on the internet.

B. www.yoursubdomain.yourdomain.com/
      A. NO, not at all ... Sub-Domains do not "take at least 72 hours to propogate" on the web as they are created by you within cPanel upon an already existing "registered" Domain and themselves do not have any DNS/Nameserver configurations.

Sub-Domains are accessible and ready to Publish to immediately upon proper creation (providing the Root Domain has been properly configured within the hosting account prior to sub-domain creation).

* Only Add-On Domains, which use a properly Registered Domain name with a separate domain extension (.com, .net, etc.) may take some time for the DNS/Nameserver information to take effect at wherever the Domain resides when changes are made to "point" to your hosting account at VodaHost. Depending on the Registrar of your Domain and whether or not the 'Registrar' is a Reseller or an ICANN Direct Seller, DNS/Nameserver changes can take anywhere from a few minutes (Direct Seller) or up to 72 hours (Reseller).

1. You'll find some useful tips on publishing to a Sub-Domain in this post (and in this post).

2. Be sure you know the difference between an Add-On Domain and a Sub-Domain, as outlined in this thread.

3. Lastly, be sure you know the difference between a Sub-Directory and a Sub-Domain as discussed at length in this thread.

B. This example of a Sub-Domain link (not the same as regular Main site links) suggested above is also unfortunately incorrect (www.yoursubdomain.yourdomain.com/) since the formatting of a Sub-Domain is predicated by the Domain it is created upon, and uses that Domain's Net identity to follow hyperlink protocol ... in other words, the link should look like this (without the "www" if you want them to work): http://subdomain.rootdomain.com .... and an example with pages http://subdomain.rootdomain.com/page-name-here.html

* Links to other "regular" websites will still require protocol using the designated "www" preface, as in "www.MainWebsite.com" ... and shown with a link to a page, www.MainWebsite.com/page-name-here.html
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
        1. You'll find some useful tips on publishing to a Sub-Domain in this post (and in this post).
        Yes, thats the post that brought me to make this post. On this part:
        And ... how to PUBLISH ... >>
        The method of publishing with Blue Voda to Add-On domains and Sub-Domains is virtually the same, by making simple changes within the Publish Dialog Box:
        (Primary Account Domain) public_html/ .........<--- leave blank
        (Add-On Domain) public_html/addondomain
        (Sub-Domain, as shown on Primary) public_html/primarydomainname/subdomainname
        I'm confused, because I'm currently publishing everything under "public_html/subdomain/" and it's working... But I'm not sure if I should continue on doing it this way....

2. Be sure you know the difference between an Add-On Domain and a Sub-Domain, as outlined in this thread.
        And yes I do know the difference between an Add-on domain and sub-domain, but I added that piece of information of how I know that it is a sub-domain for the case that a person who doesn't know what they are doing but attempts to answer my question by asking me if I know for sure that I am dealing with a sub-domain. It was basically putting up anti-extreme noob advice.
        3. Lastly, be sure you know the difference between a Sub-Directory and a Sub-Domain as discussed at length in this thread.
        Thank you for this! I will read this after posting this post here.
        The example of a Sub-Domain link (not the same as regular Main site links) suggested above by 'Zuriatman' is also incorrect (www.yoursubdomain.yourdomain.com/) since the formatting of a Sub-Domain is predicated by the Domain it is created upon, and uses that Domain's Net identity to follow hyperlink protocol ... in other words, the link should look like this (without the "www" if you want them to work): http://subdomain.rootdomain.com .... and an example with pages http://subdomain.rootdomain.com/page-name-here.html

* Links to other "regular" websites will still require protocol using the designated "www" preface, as in "www.MainWebsite.com" ... and shown with a link to a page, www.MainWebsite.com/page-name-here.html
        Thank you sir for clearing that up ^_^. I don't add the "www." on really anything anymore, one time-- I don't remember when... but I typed in my address "www.myaddress.com" and it told me it was wrong... then typed in "myaddress.com" and I went straight to my address. I don't understand why that happened, but maybe I should start adding "www." to my links that go to my main site pages.

In any case, thank you for the information, I did not know that!
        Editha

Website 1
        Website 2

Comment

Originally posted by Editha View Post
          I'm confused, because I'm currently publishing everything under "public_html/subdomain/" and it's working... But I'm not sure if I should continue on doing it this way....

Thank you for this! I will read this after posting this post here. Always review the information before you reply, so your response is understanding, cognizant, and relevant.
          The reason "it is working" is because you are actually publishing to a Sub-Directory, not to a Sub-Domain ... it is the very reason I mentioned the differences .... it was obvious (to me, anyway) that by mixing up the methods of publishing, and confusing the formatting is why you are experiencing the issues that you are.

Look again very carefully to the proper method detailed on how to publish to a Sub-Domain and follow it despite your "ability" to "publish" otherwise. It in itself explains why the pages are not in the Sub-Domain as expected, but available via links to the Sub-Directory: you should, therefore, access your cPanel and FILE MANAGER and delete the pages that were published in error to a Sub-Directory, and then proceed to Publish them properly to the Sub-Domain.

* Review again the same referenced post offered above to understand how to properly create links to pages within a Sub-Domain vs. Sub-Directory as well:
          Sub-Domain: http://subdomain.rootdomain.com/page1.html .. ..
          Sub-Directory: http://www.rootdomain.com/subdirectory/page1.html

Review also the reasons to choose either as presented in the one thread mentioned above ... Sub-Directory if you have similar content that would best be kept in "one single site" format (even though each 'section' can be created as a separate website and navigated to directly) to avoid being penalized by the Search Engines for "Duplicate Content" violation, and, Sub-Domain for individual Search Engine values and ranking which naturally predicates the "site" has unique and non-duplicated Content.

It is the details that will make a world of difference to your progress and eventual success!

Comment

The reason "it is working" is because you are actually publishing to a Sub-Directory, not to a Sub-Domain ... it is the very reason I mentioned the differences .... it was obvious (to me, anyway) that by mixing up the methods of publishing, and confusing the formatting is why you are experiencing the issues that you are.

-------------

* Review again the same referenced post offered above to understand how to properly create links to pages within a Sub-Domain vs. Sub-Directory as well:
            Sub-Domain: http://subdomain.rootdomain.com/page1.html .. ..
            Sub-Directory: http://www.rootdomain.com/subdirectory/page1.html

Review also the reasons to choose either as presented in the one thread mentioned above ... Sub-Directory if you have similar content that would best be kept in "one single site" format (even though each 'section' can be created as a separate website and navigated to directly) to avoid being penalized by the Search Engines for "Duplicate Content" violation, and, Sub-Domain for individual Search Engine values and ranking which naturally predicates the "site" has unique and non-duplicated Content.
            Wow this is confusing...

creating "subdomain.domain/thispage.html" by publishing "thispage" to the public_html/subdomain/ folder... how did it manage to be published to the subdomain's link?? Or that way of publishing is just confusing the server... or manager..

((Actual examples is THIS as the sub-domain, and THIS as an example of the pages published [supposed to] under it....))

Just as a verification, all I do is delete from FTP manager and republish the pages to "public_html/domain.com
            /subdomain/
            ", will correct the somewhat "internal" problems while keeping the links the same. Seeing as the links are in the "subdomain.domain.com/page1.html" (correct?) order?

Making sure:

publishing to subdomain: public_html/domain/subdomain/
            publishing to subdomain sub-directory: public_html/domain/subdomain/subdirectory/
            publishing a subdirectory to subdomain:public_html/domain/subdomain/subdirectory/ (but named "index")

publishing to domain: public_html
            publishing to domain sub-directory: public_html/subdirectory/

Question: Am I supposed to be adding the ".com" when publishing? Like here
            "B. to any sub-directory (sub-domain) sites: public_html/theluxurymall.com/tampa/"

-----------
            Does that mean its only working because atm there is nothing there and problems would occur as soon as I tried adding subdirectories...

Ahh I was thinking any normal page could be a sub-directory too... but thats only assumed from looking at the url... I was publishing subdirectories as normal pages only named to look like a subdirectory... I must go back and republish them now that I have learned the truth...
            Editha

Website 1
            Website 2

Comment

Just as a verification, all I do is delete from FTP manager and republish the pages to "public_html/domain.com/subdomain/", will correct the somewhat "internal" problems while keeping the links the same. Seeing as the links are in the subdomain.domain.com/page1.html" (correct?) order?
              Yes ... deleting pages will prevent any page conflicts, but more importantly be an immediate "clue" to youyrself that the logical process of publishing and hyperlinking keeps continuity. Deleting the improperly created Sub-Directory will also help keep your Publishing straight, as if improperly entered in the Publish Dialog, it will come back to say "Can't Create Directory" and allow you to correct the path entered before publishing.

publishing to subdomain: public_html/rootdomain.com/subdomain.com/
              publishing a subdirectory to subdomain:public_html/rootdomain.com/subdomain.com/subdirectory/ (do not enter page names, but first page always named "index")

HOW TO PUBLISH
              publishing to Primary/Root Domain: public_html/
              publishing to Add-On Domain: public_html/addondomain.com
              publishing to Sub-Directory on Primary/Root Domain: public_html/subdirectory/
              publishing to Sub-Domain on Primary/Root Domain: public_html/rootdomain.com/subdomain/
              publishing Sub-Domain to Add-On Domain:public_html/addondomain.com/subdomain/
              publlishing Sub-Directory to Sub-Domain upon Add-On Domain:public_html/addondomain.com/subdomain/subdirectory/

Question: Am I supposed to be adding the ".com" when publishing? Like here
              "B. to any sub-directory (sub-domain) sites: public_html/theluxurymall.com/tampa/"..
              Yes, add/include the ".com" to the proper Domain Names. See above "additions" to Publishing instructions, and also comment about Page Names.

Comment

Working...
              X