Website FORM Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Website FORM Problems

Mike -- Something isn't right, and I'm sure it's something simple. Use this Contact Form to privately (and securely) send me your phone number so I can call you and walk you through some troubleshooting to get it fixed quick and easy. You can even upload a copy of the BV Page File so I can look at it directly.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I tried your "contact" method and finally manage to get a message sent plus an attachment bv file (with minimal content in message.)

Comment

Insofar as you are in Austrailia, I'll not try calling .... and will have to be limited to whatever assistance I can offer after reviewing you Page File itself. Somewhat clever, I am sure I will find something to advise you with .... hang tight!

Comment

Thanks so much for your help now and in the past. I look forward to a solution to my little dilemma.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
            Insofar as you are in Austrailia, I'll not try calling .... and will have to be limited to whatever assistance I can offer after reviewing you Page File itself. Somewhat clever, I am sure I will find something to advise you with .... hang tight!
            Just thought I might ask on your progress.
            Mike

Comment

I've built my form, saved it, published it and watched all tutorials following the directions. My issue is that the tutorial states that we must name our "success" or "error" areas but since all of us are not fluent in HTML language and don't already know how to do everything.... it didn't say what the name had to be in order for it to function properly. Is it our URL with "success" added to the end or is there another title it needs. My reset button works just dandy but the submit button won't work and I'm sure I've misnamed them.... Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyce GaddyEnlow View Post
                I've built my form, saved it, published it and watched all tutorials following the directions. My issue is that the tutorial states that we must name our "success" or "error" areas but since all of us are not fluent in HTML language and don't already know how to do everything.... it didn't say what the name had to be in order for it to function properly. Is it our URL with "success" added to the end or is there another title it needs. My reset button works just dandy but the submit button won't work and I'm sure I've misnamed them.... Thank you.
                Yes - it is as simple as that: www.YourSite.com/success.html for a page designed, Saved, and Published by you as only "success" .... the same method is repeated for your ERROR page as well.

To make everything visually obvious, review the following Quote and click on the Examples shown to see the URLs in your browser and how those pages function within the overall Navigation scheme of your site:
                Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                You do actually need to create, save, and publish a SUCCESS page to fulfill the FORM SCRIPT, you know .... the SUCCESS page does not mysteriously appear by itself! Same goes for an ERROR page, as noted in FORM PROPERTIES .... they are not difficult to create, and simply complete the functional logic.

Here some examples from one of my websites to clearly illustrate the necessity:
                1. My CONTACT Page
                2. My SUCCESS page (seen after successful completion of the FORM)
                3. My ERROR page (seen only if they unsuccessfully complete the FORM as required)
                *Please note that while my site mentioned above shares a single ERROR page throughout, my SUCCESS page is actually named "contact-success.html" only because I have numerous Website Email Form Pages on this site and each SUCCESS page has specifically composed text to acknowledge each specific submission: this requires similar modification to the FORM PROPERTIES "Success" page hyperlink field (adding the "contact-" to the defaulted "success.html") .... you can see what I mean by comparing these same-site SUCCESS pages how the need for such specific Text replies compel one to create separate SUCCESS pages as a matter of simple proper communication:
                1. "contact-success.html" ... (replies to General Contact Form)
                2. "career-success.html" ... (replies to Career Inquiry Form)
                3. "advertising-success.html" ... (replies to Advertising Inquiry Form)
                4. "rates-success.html" ... (replies to Rate Request Form)
                5. "franchise-success.html" ... (replies to Franchise Inquiry Form) .... and so on.

For most websites a single "success.html" and single "error.html" page is enough, but you do have tools to do more!

If your SUBMIT is not working properly, you need to double-check how you configured your FORM PROPERTIES: these Steps outline them clearly -- especially the email address you entered, and, despite what the Tutorials say, select "Encoded:multipart/form-data".

PS
                DON'T FORGET! Now that you have properly Named, Saved, and Published your "index" page after making corrections from the improper "pcaindex.html" you will need to make site-wide corrections to your Navigation for every link to your "Home" page -- meaning you will need to change links from the incorrect www.porcelaineclubofamerica.org/pcaindex.html to simply the standard default www.porcelaineclubofamerica.org and republish those pages as well.

Comment

Form Error

Hello. I had a form on my website: https://www.c2ccaptioning.com/webreg.php
                  which I used successfully for some time now. However, today, when I made a change to the page (not the form), I tested it and go an error message:

Warning: mail(/var/log/phpmail.log) [function.mail]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/njcascom/public_html/c2ccaptioning/webreg.php on line 94

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/njcascom/public_html/c2ccaptioning/webreg.php:94) in/home/njcascom/public_html/c2ccaptioning/webreg.php on line 95

I looked through the forum and saw a couple other people experienced the same error. I double-checked everything from the checklist as suggested and everything seemed to be correct. So I decided to start from scratch and create a new form using the Form Wizard. I am receiving the same error message and the Captcha box does not appear in my form at all (it should appear between the list of webinar topics and the submit button).

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Re: Form Error

1. Select "Encode; multi-part data form"
                    2. Line 94 refers to your Validation: it appears to have been configured improperly
                    3. Additionally, it is likely you have used the improper method to SAVE the page, if not also improperly populated elements onto the "new" page before Publishing. See the Tips in the same Thread you refer to with the "Checklist" ...
                    4. Re-locate your SSL Cert off the FORM area entirely as it is not part of the FORM and will conflict with FORM Scripting (may explain CAPTCHA error).
                    5. Delete your Submit button, install CAPTCHA once again to the left (before) where you intend to have your SUBMIT button, and then once again add your SUBMIT button, making sure both CAPTCHA and SUBMIT are well within the FORM area (in the new "order" as added to the FORM).
                    6. Lastly, remove the Google Site Verification when you get the page straightened out and publish without it once: once page is properly functional online, go back and add the newly generated Google Site Verification and again re-publish.

PS: You are spamming KEYWORDS on this and other pages of this site: this page alone has 126 words entered as KEYWORDS (although standards allow up to 100, Google actually favors no more than 20-25 providing they are all anchored within normally composed textual Content -- not just words appearing on the page somewhere, and especially not in any FORM or MENU); you have stuffed in 1,023 characters and spaces into a METADATA field that normally accepts no more than 250. You can see for yourself the obvious infraction reviewing these facts ... It makes no sense at all attempting to comply with Google Web Design by including Site Verification if your "Build" falls far below normally acceptable standards!

Comment

Vasili,

Thank you for your quick reply. I apologize in advance. I'm not a web designer...just a small business owner. I have always created my own website so forgive me if I have made some mistakes (re: your PS reference). I removed all the keywords on this page and will remove a good deal of them from the other pages once I get this page straightened out.

I have gone through your list step by step:
                      1 confirmed
                      2 I don't know what you mean "configured improperly."
                      3 I can't locate that checklist. Do you have the link handy? From memory, it said to save as, which I've done, but I would like to review those tips again, please.
                      4 Done.
                      5 Done. Captcha still does not appear in form area
                      6 Sorry I do not know how to remove Google Site Verification. Please advise.

I think perhaps there was a problem with my success page. I had the link as https://www.c2ccaptioning.com/success.html in the form properties. It occurred to me after reading through more forum threads that perhaps I should omit the https:// Please advise on the proper way the success page URL should appear in the form properties.

I just want to mention again I have used forms for years and most recently in September I used the original form I had problems with today without any issues. I'm curious as to why all of a sudden I received an error message.

Thanks again!

Comment

Vasili,

FWIW, I just tried my form in Internet Explorer (I normally use Chrome) and Captcha appears in IE after displaying a message about displaying only secure content. I went back into Chrome and noticed a shield that was blocking the non-secure content. So that explains why Captcha wasn't appearing. Of course, I don't want that to happen when my clients go to my webpage. Is there a way around that?

Comment

If you are unsure of how to properly configure Validation, just omit it entirely, as once the CAPTCHA is installed properly, the Anti-Spam protection it offers itself should be enough to thwart any Form abuse.

Here is the "Checklist" once again.

Here is the Page Creation Methods Tip mentioned earlier.

If you are having this much difficulty getting a FORM formatted properly using the Wizard, I would suggest you instead build your own from scratch (using the individual Toolbar Icons to install individual elements onto your page, starting with the FORM AREA itself). It may be something of a bother time-wise, but I have never done anything but, and not only have the assurance that all is done precisely, but that it is created and customized exactly the way I desire. You can't really get that using the Wizard ...

As for Site Verification, check your PAGE HTML (right-click on a blank Page area to reveal PAGE HTML option) by clicking on each of the Tabs (Inside Head, Before Body, etc.) to reveal where it was pasted in, and simply delete it.

* I checked all of your Contact/Form pages, and none of them are functioning ....

Comment

Vasili,

Well, I'm at the end of my rope. I started from scratch, new blank page. I added a very short simple form - name and submit. I still get the error message. I went through all tutorials, read all the checklists and tips. Could it be as simple as my success & error page links are incorrect?

FWIW, the error message changed slightly:

Warning: mail(/var/log/phpmail.log) [function.mail]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/njcascom/public_html/c2ccaptioning/webreg.php on line 80

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/njcascom/public_html/c2ccaptioning/webreg.php:80) in /home/njcascom/public_html/c2ccaptioning/webreg.php on line 81

I'm ready to give up and have my clients download an unsophisticated .pdf form to fill out and return. I really hate to do that!

Can you help???

Comment

You have built a new Page from scratch, but you are still using the Wizard to build your Form (it is obvious by the Form background being visible that is not present if manually created) and that you are not laying in a Form Area manually, and proceeding to add elements by hand and labeling them independently .... and the email script is not visible to me to see what could be wrong (typical of how the Wizard "hides" the script) as your Error now comes up mentioning Line 80 and there are only 44 lines to this sparse page -- another mystery!

Either you have named the Page "webreg" and have not named the Form consistently, or the "Action" is set wrong --- point being there is a breakdown in how the script is set to run on the page, and it is not recognizing a Format or setting.

Or ... it may still have something to do with the SSL Cert being associated with the site and/or page and whether or not it is there or installed properly (I can't see why you even need this on this site if using PayPal).

That is the only things I can see from this side: still the Wizard, the Error mentioning the Form name "webreg" and the "Action" being of issue, and the possibility of the SSL Cert having lingering issues.

Unless Navaldesign can somehow be brought in to examine the code further, you may have to submit this to Support (submit as "Attn; Hank" to get a real person to help).

* You can easily see the difference between your Form (Wizard-created with tell-tale background) and some of mine from a single website (all manually created):
                              1. General Contact Form
                              2. Career Inquiry Form
                              3. Advertising Inquiry Form
                              4. Rate Request Form
                              5. Franchise Inquiry Form ... and so on.

Comment

I didn't use the wizard. I did it manually. And why do they even have the wizard if you can't use it??
                                I named the page and the form webreg.
                                The action is grayed out because I chose use built-in PHP form:

I took a screen shot of the properties but it won't let me paste here, so I can email if you like.
                                I have the SSL because my form has PayPal or credit card.

Thanks for trying to help. I'm giving up because I need to get my webinar announcement launched. They're just going to have to register the old-fashioned way. I'm pretty upset about this because, as I've said, I have been using this form without any problems for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X