This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which FaceBook Button to use?

Ok, I got the Google +1 working, and am currently working on FaceBook Buttons. I've started adding the "Like" Button to my site, and when I tested it I realized that the "Like" Button is good for the entire site instead of individual pages.

My question is this: Which is more beneficial to my website - having the "Like" Button, which is good for the whole site (Once clicked on one page, you can't click it again on any other page) or the little "f" Button such as the one you see on posts here on the forum which appears to be good for individual pages?

At this point, I'm more interested in SEO than anything else... I'll be putting customer recommendations on my site anyway, so having individual products "Liked" isn't really an issue.

Any thoughts?
    Delle Luce
    Fine Candles & Soaps

Re: Which FaceBook Button to use?

Personally, I use a Facebook icon to provide a link to the FB Page, where people can 'Like" it or not themselves (why shouldn't they, if they already spent the effort to navigate from the site to the Page?) since I already have the "FB Share" function provided along with all the other "Share" choices via my AddThis button (the orange 'Plus' icon) .... which "shares" individual pages/URL's/content.

You can see what I mean HERE, even though I have not yet installed the "+1" button as I intend to do during the entire site completion this weekend.

I have merely minimalized the functions and relied on Consumer Free Will to do what they want, how they want, if they want by not overlapping functions and compromnising layout appeal. I want a link to the FB Page, a Share tool, and will be adding the "+1" button before it becomes 'required' only because I know people will use the tools they are familiar with and expect to see, and God help me if I deny them the ability to choose and express themselves. Which is why I included my own icon to lead them to "More Luxury" sites for them to fall in love with as soon as I can scramble and finish THEM!

Bottom Line Is This: More people will continue to use FB as a means of personal engagement, of a method for them to move themselves across the Net and to define their interaction with others as well as display their favorites to friends, thus creating their own metric. Google +1 is much different, however, as the engagement itself (emprically) creates not only a trend metric, but a means of measurability for Google to create a reliable value to not only the reportable trends but to the motivator itself (the website), and that is the newer formula that they will rely upon to create more reliable and predictable values for websites themselves: they are shifting their "trust" back to people to decide what sites are more important, the drivers, and the source of trends. It's people they are interested influencing after all, so what better method than letting the people rope themselves in?
    So, from a SEO perspective, the Google +1 will be forever inextricably tied to site value (the compelling reason to include it on your website) and social trending and the +1 community will most likely be the lesser favored "social platform" due only to the ingrained habits of people to resist the prompt to eschew what they know first, what they know best (FB). Which is why Google limited the +1 function to a simple recommendation as opposed to a "Sharing" vehicle ...

Know what I mean, JellyBean???
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I see what you mean, and have to admit that I like the FaceBook icon you have on your site, much more than I like the "Lke" Button I currently have installed on mine.

Since FaceBook isn't exactly a Search Engine like Google, is it safe to say that it doesn't really matter which Button (link) you have installed for FaceBook, as long as there is one there? (From an SEO viewpoint)

My site needs all the help it can get to boost my rankings - I make and sell candles, and let's face it, there are countless candle sites out there, so I need to move my spot a bit further up the food chain. lol

And for kicks and giggles, is the FaceBook Icon HTML Code available in the same Developers Tools section where you get the "Like" Button code?
      Delle Luce
      Fine Candles & Soaps

Comment

Originally posted by KJay_34 View Post
        And for kicks and giggles, is the FaceBook Icon HTML Code available in the same Developers Tools section where you get the "Like" Button code?
        No ... it is a simple image that I am 'hard-linking' to my FB page. Not necessary to complicate things further.

In fact, there is a transparent Shape over the FB image itself that is linked, which thus allows me to not only link it, but to display the ALT Text "MORE LUXURY" as a mouseover (can't do that with/as simple images in BV). So, not only am I scoring elevated SEO points by 1. providing a hard link to be followed, 2. I also added a function or consumer engagement (mouseover text as invitation) all the while 3. keeping the page itself "lighter" by not adding more and more code (which does count against SERP) by 4. avoiding adding another dynamic "button" that in itself does not contribute to SERP.

THAT is professional SEO perspectives. Hope it provides some insight!

Comment

"So, from a SEO perspective, the Google +1 will be forever inextricably tied to site value (the compelling reason to include it on your website) and social trending and the +1 community will most likely be the lesser favored "social platform" due only to the ingrained habits of people to resist the prompt to eschew what they know first, what they know best (FB). Which is why Google limited the +1 function to a simple recommendation as opposed to a "Sharing" vehicle ..."

Ok, this makes a lot of sense to me and answers a lot of questions I've had. I've had a personal FaceBook account for sometime now (I'm a FrontierVille junkie lol) but I've neglected to use the tools they've had available to promote my business. I looked into a "business" account not long after I joined FB, but it appeared (at the time) that anything but a personal account required a fee... last night, I decided to look around and have since been trying to learn more about FB and what they offer (especially what they offer within my budget!) It seems that now that I have the Google +1 Button installed, I need to really concentrate on FB and allow all those "neighbors" I've accumulated to help with PR and getting the word out.

In your personal experience, do people mind that they navigate away from your website and go to your FB page when they click on the icon?
          Delle Luce
          Fine Candles & Soaps

Comment

"So, from a SEO perspective, the Google +1 will be forever inextricably tied to site value (the compelling reason to include it on your website) and social trending and the +1 community will most likely be the lesser favored "social platform" due only to the ingrained habits of people to resist the prompt to eschew what they know first, what they know best (FB). Which is why Google limited the +1 function to a simple recommendation as opposed to a "Sharing" vehicle ..."
            Ok, this makes a lot of sense to me ... It seems that now that I have the Google +1 Button installed (have properly covered your SEO basics and compliance"), I need to really concentrate on FB and allow all those "neighbors" I've accumulated to help with PR and getting the word out.
            EXACTLY!

It is all quite logical, and if understood, can still be loads of fun. It is Social Media, after all!

In your personal experience, do people mind that they navigate away from your website and go to your FB page when they click on the icon?
            In all my web building and in all my professional services, I make it a sound and proven Policy to provide these "choices" separately from the core rationale I have in front of a Visitor (the website) ... I configure these "soft outbound" links to open a new Tab so the originating website remains open and easy to return to with little or no effort. This is the only instance when I use (or recommend the use of) such settings .... it should be obvious why.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
              EXACTLY!

It is all quite logical, and if understood, can still be loads of fun. It is Social Media, after all!

The part where you said "If understood" is the hard part. lol.

Although I've had a website for almost 10 years now, (had one prior to my current one) this is the first time I've been based solely on the internet, and I'm finding SEO fairly confusing because it seems that each SE is looking for something different, and while SE #1 is looking for "this", SE #2 sees "this" as a no-no. UGH!

Right now, my forehead is probably developing a bruise from all the head slapping and "duh!" moments I'm having while realizing that FB isn't just for my entertainment afterall.

Are you familiar with Twitter and what it may have to offer? I haven't ventured there yet, but am curious.
              Delle Luce
              Fine Candles & Soaps

Comment

IMO Twitter can be effective, but only to a limited extent or for a particular business format.

The days of easily gaining status in the Twitter Community (where Twitter themselves will suggest you follow such-and-such) are long gone, and it will soon be apparent that the sea of choices will drown out the effectiveness of the format itself: soon, I believe, Twitterers will be forced to rely on traditional marketing to earn the recognition to even posture themselves as being able to be followed, let alone capable of delivering consistent justification to continue to follow. The novelty and cachet has evaporated, and only the cryptic messages continue, which will never be given true status as professional communications.

IMO, that is.

Comment

In all my web building and in all my professional services, I make it a sound and proven Policy to provide these "choices" separately from the core rationale I have in front of a Visitor (the website) ... I configure these "soft outbound" links to open a new Tab so the originating website remains open and easy to return to with little or no effort. This is the only instance when I use (or recommend the use of) such settings .... it should be obvious why.

Thank you, Vasili, that makes perfect sense and ends the "icon vs button" debate I've been having with myself. lol
                  Delle Luce
                  Fine Candles & Soaps

Comment

IMO Twitter can be effective, but only to a limited extent or for a particular business format.

The days of easily gaining status in the Twitter Community (where Twitter themselves will suggest you follow such-and-such) are long gone, and it will soon be apparent that the sea of choices will drown out the effectiveness of the format itself: soon, I believe, Twitterers will be forced to rely on traditional marketing to earn the recognition to even posture themselves as being able to be followed, let alone capable of delivering consistent justification to continue to follow.

IMO, that is.

So, I will be much further ahead of the game to concentrate on FB instead of bogging myself down with too much at once when I don't even have a Twitter account at the moment, and it wouldn't be as beneficial anyway.
                    Delle Luce
                    Fine Candles & Soaps

Comment

Yes ... be better than the rest doing fewer things than most. That's how reputations are earned and why the word is spread.

What is the origin of the word "renown"??

Comment

Yes ... be better than the rest doing fewer things than most. That's how reputations are earned and why the word is spread.

What is the origin of the word "renown"??
                        You're absolutely right... I was actually given the same advice when I started my business years ago - It just never occurred to me to apply it to this situation as well. (Another head slapping moment!)

And the word renown is to be named again, make famous, be famous... correct?
                        Delle Luce
                        Fine Candles & Soaps

Comment

And the word renown is to be named again, make famous, be famous... correct?
                          Go older, much older: to be "renowned" is to be "pre-known" with such universal esteem that the degree of intimacy, familiarity is as if you grew up to that person, yet never met him in reality ... all because the trust you place in others has been transferred due those people already "knowing" for you so that you will have reason to invest without trial.

To be renowned is to have been "confirmed" thus, in a most exclusive manner, and in such a meaningful manner as to not be challenged or proven. This is why the "lesser" saying "your reputation preceeds you" is most often used to connotate negativity ... a reputation is proven multiple times, whereas renown is "a preface" that pre-proves by nature of itself. Usually! LOL

Think also "gnosis" or "gnostic" (to know, to experience) vs. "repute" (to confront, to challenge, to determine) ... reputation is more a "measure" of reliability to compare ... an ongoing process and relationship to that which is stacked up to the reputation .... always being proven, not constant, always challenged.
                          Renown is an esteem, a worthiness of acceptance prior to experience and reputation is a measure, a reliability borne of experience.

Or at least that's how my brain works ...

Comment

LOL... I like that. Talk about motivation to flood FB with my business name! Thankfully, I have serveral customers who have stuck with me throughout business changes, and are definitely loyal customers... who better to help get my name out there than people who have bought my products and are die-hard fans?

"To be renowned is to have been "confirmed" thus, in a most exclusive manner, and in such a meaningful manner as to not be challenged or proven. This is why the "lesser" saying "your reputation preceeds you" is most often used to connotate negativity ... a reputation is proven multiple times, whereas renown is "a preface" that proves itself. Usually! LOL"

Looking at things from this perspective, I've been spending too much time trying to promote "myself", instead of using other resources (My customers) to help with the promotion angle so I have more time to devote to other things... namely my website and business itself. Thank you so very much for the fresh insight! :)
                            Delle Luce
                            Fine Candles & Soaps

Comment

Think also "gnosis" or "gnostic" (to know, to experience) vs. "repute" (to confront, to challenge, to determine) ... reputation is more a "measure" of reliability to compare ... an ongoing process and relationship to that which is stacked up to the reputation .... always being proven, not constant, always challenged.
                              Renown is an esteem, a worthiness of acceptance prior to experience and reputation is a measure, a reliability borne of experience.

Or at least that's how my brain works ...
                              I honestly see what you're saying, and have to agree with how your brain works. lol. You've helped with much, much more than my website today and I'm sincerely grateful!
                              Delle Luce
                              Fine Candles & Soaps

Comment

Working...
                              X