Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protected directory for every user

Hello,

I am thinking of building a site where there will be a lot of users. I want each user to have a password protected folder. But I can't possibly protect each directory manually for thousands of user.

How can it be done that each user when registering should create a protected directory at the same time automatically.

One possibility might be with a forum (I do not know anything about forums), but someone may not want to use a forum.

I hope I am clear.

Thank you!

jojopara

Re: protected directory for every user

Well depending on what you are doing it might be against TOS.

The only SURE way is to have a forum or use a cms platform.

Social networking and myspace type of sites are prohibited on shared servers. Youd have to upgrade your account to a dedicated server.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
      Well depending on what you are doing it might be against TOS.

The only SURE way is to have a forum or use a cms platform.

Social networking and myspace type of sites are prohibited on shared servers. Youd have to upgrade your account to a dedicated server.

Karen
      It won't be a social network. One will upload a file, and another will download it form his (another's) directory which has to be protected.

Comment

File repositories are against tos too. You cant host space for other users

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

And besides for TOS issues, having the directory auto create is a lesser one of the technical issues.

Cpanel's password protected directory feature requires you to set the directory which is protected, and then add a username/password to login to that directory. Protecting additional directories will have empty lists of users who can access the directory. You would have to either manually code user lists, or have a script to automated it.

Besides that you also need to either generate FTP information (which if you did this for anyone that signs up would also be agains't the TOS). Or having a script for people to upload and manage their files.

Anyway, as it has already been pointed out, pretty much most parts of your planned site will violate the TOS, you would have to rent a dedicated server from VH if you were going to use them for the hosting.

Register/Login Script
          Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
          X