Clear All

• Is there a good shopping cart script?

I am trying to get a shopping cart up and running. I don't mind using a
    prebuilt cart, but I am looking to have full control over the way the
    front and back ends look.

I don't need any real fancy features right now
    but I would like a cart that is built well enough to add on to with out
    tons of headache. I have been looking into osCommerce. Though I have
    read that the php is a nightmare to work through.

Over all If there is a good premade software title (easy to
    template) you could recommend or if you know anywhere I can find just
    the scripting for the full back end administration panel and card
    handling, that would be greatly helpful.

I really prefer to own the rights to the script for use as many times as I
    need. Cutting down on per-site overhead.

The other option I was considering was going to a rent-a-coder site and
    having one made, Cost is a slight issue I would really hope to stay
    under $500.00 if using a rent a coder.

Many thanks :)

Randy
    www.industrialsuppliesandservices.com

Re: Is there a good shopping cart script?

Hi Randy,

Speak to George. I can highly recommend his services for what you are looking for.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

But don't expect everything you need to be cheap. I'm not sure you're going to be able to keep that in the under $500 range - especially if you want access to change everything. People who build these, build them for multiple use - and not all the things done in them will be changeable.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Soho is a pretty good prebuilt cart, and you can play with templates, and alter templates or even have them done fairly cheap at the addons site. Is easy to maintain and update.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Mac View Post
          Soho is a pretty good prebuilt cart, and you can play with templates, and alter templates or even have them done fairly cheap at the addons site. Is easy to maintain and update. Karen
          I agree....and I would also nudge you to re-consider osCommerce as well. Both are available with one-click-install free with every Vodahost account, and with the multitude of free templates available for each, you have a wide range of "look and feel" that as Karen mentioned, are easily customizable by you or affordably by a freelancer. Depends on how much you have pre-planned and "drawn" your dream configuration, as the many plug-ins available can be overwhelming......and these too, are easy to get installed by a pro for about $30 a pop!

You should stomp around a few osC freelancer hangouts to see comparable jobs both posted and completed to get a feel for what you really want and to make a reasoned decision/commitment. Be sure to find the right forum (osC, eCommerce, etc.) as Soholaunch is a smaller community, and there is only one worthy recommendation for first-class builds that are incredibly affordable: www.templatezapper.com (for Soholaunch only)

www.joomlancers.com (they do much more than Joomla here)
          www.getafreelancer.com (osC pros abound here)
          www.odesk.com (this is where you will find the biggest collection of "affordable" and reliable programmers)

. VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

PS: If you are trying to think through how to bypass using a gateway to tie into your pre-exisiting card processing system, or desire to have a customized "admin panel"/interface to direct traffic or interrupt a process integral to the cart itself, don't waste your time: not only is it not permissable, it would prove to be a total waste of time and money before you discovered the incompatibility of such coding.

Been there, done that......

Comment

A simple but robust, fully customized (as for the visual part) cart, might be as little as $240. Custom made Order forms that work on conjunction to the cart, using Ajax "smart" engine can be as little as $60 - 80 and up to $120, adding functionality that Soho, OSC and all other carts can NEVER achieve, as, in example, in http://www.discountwoodblinds.co.uk/dbts_cart/order.php where there is a 139 different price options for the same product!

Or, "smart" decision making scripts that update the order page in real time, without page refreshing, and allowing practically for infinite options!

OSC, Soho etc can not have these done as the main core script is inaccessible.

Let's make an example with something that has to do with your own job: i have been asked to create a cart that would allow, in the product page, to have:

1. Up to 4 options for the metal (Gold, white gold, silver, platinum) Metal affects price
              2. Up to 6 size options (size affects price)
              3. Up to 5 options for the stone size (carats)

Of course, the cart needs to work with any combination from the above. Further more, the price has to be decided by the script realtime, according to users input (as in the above link).

This cart costs $500.
              And it comes complete with catalog, search products by category / subcategory / price or combinations of the above, fully customized as for the visual part, so it looks excactly as the rest of the site, and it also allowes for free page creation, because it provides the admin with the necessary code to embedd in your own pages, to direct the user to the specific cart page. Thus allowing for "Special Offers" pages built as the admin likes.
              Also has a complete backend (database administration, product uploader, cart and admin details atc), Customer registration feature, Downloadable products section (with automatic download after payment), discount coupons, etc.

Additional modules allow for wedding and gift registries. Payment modules include PayPal, Worldpay, and, on request, any other (at no extra charge)

What DOES cost (and might be as much as $1 - 2K) are special features that relate products to other products, photo galleries for each product, combined lists etc. But this is not the case here.

A simple, visually customized cart with the same style as the rest of the site and site hosted backend (only payment goes out of the site itself) can cost as little as $240.
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I did not ever consider you even offered a "smaller" type of cart build when there were similarly designed utilities out there already......

Thanks for setting the record straight!

Comment

A programmer may offer from the simplest to the most complicated product, depending on the customers requirements. A cart usually has always the same core (similar to most carts) and costs relatively few money, as long as no special work is required. You see, the cart development and updating cost, is devided to many customers. When it comes to extras, the customer is charged for the ENTIRE work done, so if i work 5 days x 8 hrs x $25/hr = $1000.

Custom carts might reach this and even higher prices.
                  The basic cart instead is very reasonably priced.

I do offer such reasonably priced carts, although, as you mentioned, there are ready solutions out there. The reason behind this, is that it is extremely difficult for these scripts to be visually customized to suit a BV site. Mine can have the visual part in whatever builder (Frontpage, Dreamweaver, BlueVoda, and more) so the look and feel are the same as the rest of the site. So there IS a market for this product.
                  Navaldesign
                  Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi there! I'm extremely tech-ignorant...all I know is that I make one of a kind glass art and I need a cart that will somehow automatically register if an item has sold and not allow a second customer to come along and buy the same item. Is there anything pre-made I can buy that will do that? Or do I need to hire someone to make it? If so, how much would a cart like that run?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
                    Dana :)

Comment

You can use soho.. its very easy to get around in..very easy to use.. watch the tutorials and away you go..

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                      02036089024 / United Kingdom
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi again, Karen! Thanks for the answer...I went to the area with the video tuts and etc about Soholaunch and read what it said about downloading it via your user control panel. But when I go to my control panel, there is no Fantastico icon. I've already paid for webhosting through Blue Voda...but is Soholaunch only included through a certain package or something? I'm sorry I'm such a pain...I just don't have a clue what I'm doing (as if that's not obvious!).

Dana :)

Comment

If you logon to your VodaHost Control Panel, toward the bottom of the Main page you will find the blue-ish "Smiley Face" Fantastico! Deluxe icon, and if you click on that icon you will find the interior page left Menu with the entire lineup of utility and scripts you can install with just a few clicks of your mouse.

Blue Voda is the Web Builder tool, and VodaHost is the Web Hosting provider.

Logon to the Control Panel using the User Name and Password you received in your Confirmation Email when you purchased your hosting account.

* Remember! You can install Soholaunch only one domain within each account, and preferably the Primary domain.

Comment

I use Mal's E-commerce on my sites which I find amazingly good. The only real problem is adding and maintaining many items so, for a friend who runs a crystal shop, I developed a table code creator where you add the items for sale in an easy page, then copy & paste the code for (in her case) up to 122 items in one fell swoop. I followed this up with a form-select spreadsheet, but this is not used as much.

For small numbers of items, there is a code creator on the Mal's E-commerce site. (we share the same forename, but we aren't related!)

M

Comment

Originally posted by lunatunes View Post
                              I am trying to get a shopping cart up and running. I don't mind using a prebuilt cart, but I am looking to have full control over the way the front and back ends look.

I don't need any real fancy features right now but I would like a cart that is built well enough to add on to with out tons of headache. I have been looking into osCommerce. Though I have read that the php is a nightmare to work through.

Over all If there is a good premade software title (easy to template) you could recommend or if you know anywhere I can find just the scripting for the full back end administration panel and card handling, that would be greatly helpful.
                              This is one of the most recurring questions regarding eCommerce, and it is often hard to make sense out of the technobabble found in many threads and websites that seems so foreign at first.

Some find it a lot simpler to compare many of the features and insights, and that is something this thread will provide for your consideration >> http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/var...e-dummies.html

Comment

Working...
                              X