Thread: Two seo questions

Default Two seo questions

1. Is it neccessary to optimise all your pages or only those you want as landing pages, and how many landing pages should you have?

2. I see in google you can choose to only have pages displayed from your country (mine being South Africa), how can I let google know my site is South African when it ends .com?

Any input appreciated.

Default Re: Two seo questions

There are probably a billion different theories and views on this depending on who you believe is up to us all!

Personally I optimize every page, however, the index page is the most important one. SE normally ask you not to submit more than the home page as the rest will get picked up along with it.

Not sure about the second part of your question, I have sites that are only of any use to UK customers only, and they end .co.uk, yet I have on my stats hits from russia, ethiopia, usa, NZ, outer mongolia, mars etc etc
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Thanks a lot.
    My site will not, when first launched, be heavily reliant on se.
    But will like to have it optimised

Bethers is offline Major General & Forum Moderator

You asked about pages you WANT as landing pages. If a page has links to it, either internally or externally - and the se's find it - they can send traffic to it - so best to optimize everything! And optimizing - is not just for se's. If done properly - it means the site is easy to use for your visitors.

Thanks Beth.
    I opted for optimising it all.
    Seemed like the logical approach!

Bruce, pass me the website url and I'll do a quick check for you to see if it is well optimized?
    Something I usually charge for but to my fellow BV friend I'll do it for free ; - )
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Thanks bud!
    still in production, let me know what you think.
    www.panzoomproperties.com

Bruce, go to my website http://www.marinckygroup.co.uk and use the contact button to send me an email so I have your email address. I have a report for you

will do.
    Not at my own computer right now!
    Will do so in the next hour or so.

It's ok, I have it here now

Title is too short. You are using 18 characters when most engines will accept up to 100 Characters.

Title does not contain enough of your keywords. You are currently using 1 of your keywords in your title, it is recommended you use at least 2 keywords in your title.

Description length is correct.

Description contains good keyword concentration.

Keywords is too short. You are using 65 characters when most engines will accept up to 1000 Characters.

Keyword Spamming Not Found.

Thanks a lot, will have a look at it and review
    Input highly appreciated

No problem,

Once you have redone, let me know and I'll check it again for you.

I disagree with the report about the keywords - in that field - do not add words just because you can - only put words there that are important to that page. I have some pages with only one or two words there. And the big se's won't look at that field anyway.

The title - needs to be your top keywords, as the report says - and I think a maximum of 96 characters - but I wouldn't normally go that many - in your case you simply put your name in the title - is that what people will search with to find you? For your home page I suggest you need to find the keywords that will help with the searches.

Also - I see 2 places on your home page where it says "Click here to go to the home page" - and that's where they are. Plus - "click here" is really a no-no - so I would get rid of it.

Personally - I don't like the i-frame inside an iframe - it's a really rare website that I'll scroll down from two different bars - I will do it for a really long piece of text within a page - but not for the actual page.

I couldn't find anywhere on the home page where these properties are located - and that could be vitally important in seo - because getting people who are looking 500 miles from you, won't be the targeted visitors you want - this is a case where location is very important.

You may be right about not putting keywords in just because you can, however, SE DO pick up on keywords even if they are not in the body of the page. I have proof of this on several sites of mine, so I think it's advisable to put keywords in if they relate to what the site is about, but yes not just any old keywords, they have to be carefully selected. I have many keyword terms that will pick a site of mine up on page 1 yet no where on the whole site does it mention those words

Thanks Beth.
    The site will be used primarily by estate agents, this is the demo I'll be using to sign them.
    I'll look at losing the I-frames and have a home page that leads to various other pages

I have made the changes as suggested!
    If you guys would be so kind as to take a look.

http://www.panzoomproperties.com

I just glanced - saw your page title and cringed - no one will search for those terms - you filled it with little unimportant words - and it's too long for the screen. Also, it really doesn't tell me as a visitor or se anything. Start there - that has to be words that people will use to find you - you say estate agents will be looking to find you - by what terms? Do a reverse search and see what they use - will they be looking based on location? If so your location should be there - is this about buying and selling? Houses? none of those words are used.

Man have a got a lot to learn about SEO!
    Thanks a lot for the advice, will get to it again.
    How long should the title be? And do all the words I use in the title, description and meta's have to be on the page or must it just relate to the page?
    Beth, I really do hold your opinion in high esteem and appreciate your feedback - even if it hurts.
    Gotta start somewhere, the beginnings usually a good place I geuss!

I apologize for my sometimes brief responses - as I never mean to hurt - just to help - but don't have lots of time! I believe the total characters in the title is 96 - but just look at the screen and see where it disappears lol - and don't go longer than that.

Words in the meta keywords have to be on the page to be of any help. Words in anchor text and the title or description do not. But if they are important enough to be in the title and description - then why are they NOT on the page?

Let's say I'm an estate agent - and I work with estates in xyz city - I'd probably use xyc estates for my first search - xyc property estates next, xyc real estate for sale, etc etc - those are terms you need to use and otpimize (not taking me at my word) but researching and finding out just what people ARE using to find what YOU have.

good luck.

Thanks a lot Beth!
    Was only kidding, no harm no foul.
    I am using an i-frame (I know how you feel on that one), will consider working on a way to include it into the page or perhaps lose the i-frame - on the home page at least.

Sorry Beth, another question, on my home page the I-frame links to important info, can I use text from this as keywords on the home page or not?

You can use any of your text as keywords - and all links should be made with keywords - whether in an i-frame or not.

I'm not totally against i-frames - I've just had much better luck with se's without them - they do have their place for some things.

On the matter of i-frames and s.e.´s

You have already created the pages to include in your i-frame so why not use content rich keywords to navigate to those pages(seperate) and then the s.e.´s will have more to index for you................

will email you later on aseperate matter.

On the matter of i-frames and s.e.´s

You have already created the pages to include in your i-frame so why not use content rich keywords to navigate to those pages(seperate) and then the s.e.´s will have more to index for you................

Will do, my i-frames hold a lot of my info
    DAVID_Got your mail.
    Stay in touch!!!!

Thread Information