Thread: subscribers and restricted area how to?

Default subscribers and restricted area how to?

Hi,
    I 'm currently building a financial site. Trading plan for trader.
    Informations have to be protected.
    Visitors will have a free try using paypal then if they like our service they will pay a montlhy subscription. but
    Problemo. I'don't know how to do that.
    How can I build a restricted area (pages) and
    How suscribers will access the restricted area.(using passwords?)

Any ideas.
    Thank you

Default Re: subscribers and restricted area how to?

Can't wait till someone answers, my new project will involve this also!
    Bruce Hewitt
    YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE...
    IT MIGHT AS WELL BE TODAY!

http://www.panzoomproperties.com
    http://www.thebabydolls.biz
    bruce@webbrok.com

This is not quite the answer you are looking for & I know itís not a freebie, but will give you good control & info about your members, plus it has a payment gateway.
    http://www.amember.com/

Chris.
    PS, your sites looking a lot better Bruce.

Option 1:

If you need just a protected area, where users can only enter if they have a password, then you can simply create a password protected directory and publish yyour protected pages there. Your members will receive the password and username through email from you, after they have paid.

Option 2: use one of the many FREE scripts for user authentication, that you can find on the net. Just Google it.

Option 3: Use a pro user authentication script, as suggested above. Amember's is one of the best.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

check out www.amember.com

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Thanks a lot naval and vodahost.
    Will do when my project is underway!
    Bruce Hewitt
    YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE...
    IT MIGHT AS WELL BE TODAY!

http://www.panzoomproperties.com
    http://www.thebabydolls.biz
    bruce@webbrok.com

thank you!!!

Exclamation Re: subscribers and restricted area how to?

Quote Originally Posted by navaldesign
    Option 1:

If you need just a protected area, where users can only enter if they have a password, then you can simply create a password protected directory and publish yyour protected pages there. Your members will receive the password and username through email from you, after they have paid.

Option 2: use one of the many FREE scripts for user authentication, that you can find on the net. Just Google it.

Option 3: Use a pro user authentication script, as suggested above. Amember's is one of the best.
    Hello navaldesign!

Does Blue Voda have the capability and perhaps tutorials on how to do your Option 1? I'm trying to do a Members Only area, which will include a Forum inside the space. My Members Only will provide some free memberships. Perhaps I should have a free Forum AND a paid Membership site. I don't know the best way to go with this.

Thanks for whatever suggestions you can offer.

WebMagic

Wink Re: subscribers and restricted area how to?

You'll find your solution in this thread, post #3 : http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...light=password

Good Webbing!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Only an idea, but it might help traffic & visitors to see some of your forum & then have memberís/private areas that are not available to the public with out a subscription. I believe quite a few forums have this facility & allow you to do this.

Chris.

Not possible....would require having 2 Forums, as all are loaded straight into their own directory - a single Forum cannot be mirrored or split between directories, and it is the directory that is "protected"...
    Most Forums do have their visible "Front-end" but require Registration or Logon to not only "Post" but to see a more advanced index.
    One or the other....not both!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasili
    You'll find your solution in this thread, post #3 : http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...light=password

Good Webbing!
    Thank you Vasili. I'll follow that link and learn, learn, learn!

WebMagic

Quote Originally Posted by Vasili
    Not possible....would require having 2 Forums, as all are loaded straight into their own directory - a single Forum cannot be mirrored or split between directories, and it is the directory that is "protected"...
    Most Forums do have their visible "Front-end" but require Registration or Logon to not only "Post" but to see a more advanced index.
    One or the other....not both!
    Chris.

Sorry to contradict you Vasili or we way be on slightly different ideas, but you can with Wobb forums http://www.wowbb.com . You can set up as many subscription types as you want & then enable what permissions & what areas they have access to via the group facility.

Chris.

Also with phpbb
    Navaldesign
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

I am currently using a VH-phpBB Forum, and it is password protected entirely (as the original question). It resides in it's own sub-directory, in order to effect the password protection.

If, by using "Permissions" I elect to have the Forum index present as "normal" prior to Logon, for instance, visitors will not see the sub-forums or certain other features of the board. Only after they logon will all the features become not only visible, but accessible.

> However, if the Forum itself is not "password protected" visitors will still be able to browse the entire Forum, but be denied the ability to "post" etc. The issue was how to protect the Forum itself via password, and have additional BV pages published to the same password protected directory...which is also something I am doing.

My statement that you cannot "split" a Forum into dual protections is something I stand by. Either the whole board is protected, or via Permissions you deny features, leaving interior pages visible. Unless I am specifically demonstrated to be incorrect, in which case I will have to look at MY Forum and figure out why what I am doing successfully is not possible....

Vasili. This is only relates to your last paragraph.

With the wobb forum, the areas you go into are determined by your login details. I assume that the program makes a password protected folder for that particular group of users. So with my forum if you join as public you can only see the public posts & none of the private forums. These wont even show up to the public & they donít even know they are there. I have on my forum an area just for me & a few guys that are helping that is only seen by administrators. Which is classed as a group. I can have as many groups as I like. Any group I create, only members of that group can see or post messages in that group. No one else can see these postings. So in other words I could have 100 members & 10 groups with 10 members to a group .When a member signs in, is all they will see is their groups postings & visa versa to all other groups. So itís a bit like having unlimited forums with passwords to a particular group/forum.
    Vodahost will have a private area in the main forum that we use, but we canít see their posts because we are not part of the admin group. But they can post & see details in that part of the forum because they are the administrators group & can create as many private areas or groups as they wish.
    So if it was for your office, each department in the office could have there own area in the forum that no other department can see or post. Only there members of that department. Each department is classed as a group.
    What happens in wobb is a bit of a pain because you create a forum & deny access to all departments except 1. Then that forum is private to that 1. Which it would be a lot easier to just choose a group that has access.

I have the same functionality in my phpBB Forum...(Users, Groups, Management, etc.). Your kind reply is not something I don't already know, but in responding to VH-feature issues......
    Essentially, you could restrict all interior pages to "groups within groups" leaving only the index page visible to visitors, but again, this becomes a logistical nightmare when using a VH Forum, as that would require a version (v.3 - still in Beta, and with far fewer optional templates and unstable MOD's) that had sub-sub's.....AND, as this is a VH featured discussion, regarding the above issues, password protection to view the Forum is still nothwithstanding.

Thanks, Chris!

The original post by Chriss was not about having a forum in a protected folder, but simply to have a forum where the admin would define the privileges for the users. So, this can be done in phpbb by setting privileges, even for simple reading, to require a registration.

But, personal opinions apart, let's try to stick to the poster's question:

Option 1: Yes, you can have a protected folder. Look at http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/cpa...pdirectory.htm . The problem is that you need to manually email your members the username and password.
    Option 2: As said, there are many authentication scripts on the net. Use one of them, if your members only site doesn't have any critical content in it.
    Option 3: Go for a professional script like www.amember.com or password gate
    Navaldesign

We will get there! Just out of curiosity. Can I assume that a protected folder could be created with a password & the forum placed in the protected folder? Or is this not correct & not classed as a directory & wonít work?

Ps. Just a small thing, for any one that uses amember this can be set up to have 1 login that enables a member to be automatically be signed into other areas to save multiple sign inís IE: you wouldnít have to sign into the forum after you logged into the private area. But I think you have to check your programs compatibility.

Chris.

Yes, you can install a forum in a folder of it's own, then have the whole folder password protected. In that case the user will need to 1. enter the folder username and password to enter that folder, and 2. Use the forum username and password to loggin in the foru.

I consider this to be useless, as the user has to loggin twice.
    Navaldesign

Hi Naval,
    I was thinking more about Montanas original Permalink/link 8 post where they wanted a private area with web pages & a forum for their members. I assume they could place web pages with navigation around the protected area inside the protected folder but naturally outside the forum folder?

Chris.

Yes, they can. You create the Private are folder and password protect it, and you place the pages in it. Inside it, you install the forum on another yet folder, so it's index and other pages will not get in conflict with the user's pages.
    Navaldesign

Thread Information