Thread: How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

Default How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

What is a Favicon.ico

A Favicon is a tiny little image that displays in your browser address bar (and everybody else will see it too) when your site loads into the browser.. Like this....

How to make a Favicon.ico

First you need to make you Icon, you can draw one for free by clicking the following link, then enter your email address and it will be sent to you. http://www.favicon.co.uk/

How to display a Favicon.ico

First, copy the file that has been sent you (called favicon.ico) into exactly the same place as your index.html page.

Then, edit the HTML on your index.html page and the HEAD of the page. The HEAD of the page is located at the top. It starts with this.....

Code:
    <head>
    and it ends with this

Code:
    </head>
    When you have located that part of the page enter the following line of code, it must be located in the HEAD of the page.

Code:
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.yourwebsiteaddress.com/favicon.ico">
    You are almost done. Publish the index page AND the favicon.ico file and hey presto, a neat little address bar for your site.

Please note:

Internet Explorer is not good at displaying favicons. The is just a Microsoft thing that cannot be avoided although it will display when it feels like it. All other browsers will work perfectly.

Default Re: How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

Huh...you learn something new everyday...very cool...nicely done...(especially on so little sleep).

Good going mate.
    Beezz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.bzzybeezwordz.blogspot.com

<takes a bow> <still hasnt been to sleep and for some reason doesnt feel tired anymore either> LOL

Quote Originally Posted by FPRob
    <takes a bow> <still hasnt been to sleep and for some reason doesnt feel tired anymore either> LOL
    Yo man .. the crash is going to hit you hard...lol...hope you are near a bed and away from heavy machinery...been there, done that ...lol
    Beezz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey, I use a favicon.ico! check mine out at http://www.electronics4dummies.com

Quote Originally Posted by pemdas21
    Hey, I use a favicon.ico! check mine out at http://www.electronics4dummies.com
    Very nice....
    Beezz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HI Pemdas... Good job.. Although just as a little tip for you... I couldn't tell what the favicon pip was until the larger pic loaded on your index page. Pics with a lot of detail dont come out very well as icons. you ricon does add lots of professionalism to the site but I would definitle recommend making a few more icons with varying pictures to see which one turns out at the best quality.

:)

and.. LOL, a day after writing this favicon tip I made a new site and the favicon wont work at all LOL.. Grrrrrr :)

Sorry Rob, Am I missing something. I can only get the MS explorer icon to show when I click on the links. The Square paper with the e symbol across it..?????? Any ideas.

Chris

EDIT... SEE MY POST BELOW THIS ONE

Yes mate..The answer is that IE is a load of Junk LOL. It really is not good with Favicons although. If you added the line of code to the HEAD of your index page (from my original post). It might perform a bit better.

Also, another sly little tip that sometimes works in IE....

Try dragging the little square white page icon out of the address bar and onto the web page itself. Doing this repeatedly will sometimes force the favicon to display.

Occcasionally it might just take a day or two for the browser and server to conect in a way that we like and you may find it will appear automatically.

If you have followed all the steps in the orignal post, try adding the index page to your fravourites/bookmarks and see if the favicon appears there Chris.

Hope it works out but I guarantee you will have more success in other browsers.

OH MY GOD I have made a mistake in the orginial post. Just looking back through it.......

THIS.....

Code:
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.yourwebsiteaddress.com">

SHOULD READ AS FOLLOWS
    (add /favicon.ico to the end of your websites address)

Code:

Cheers Rob, will give it a try.

Chris

Any luck Chris? I feel like a bit of an ass for writing such an in depth tip and getting something as simple as the URL wrong at the same time but... Hopefully you got it working.

Everybody, for advice on favicons (and due to my confusing mistake above), feel free to email me and I will set everything clear.

No problem. I have popped it in my things to do folder just for the moment, but as soon as I changed browsers all was working fine. It’s a pain when you change browsers as you can see the parts that where forgotten when testing in other browsers. You know the bits that move around the page on your site when you change browsers.

Cheers

Chris

Yes that ios a common problem but a definite good reason to use different browsers as the new problems that you saw would obviously be happening for other visitors to your site. It does create extra work unfortunately but in the end you will end up with a more perfected site which means that it will be enjoyed more and more by your visitors.

Hi Rob, remembered your post & found this one on my travels.
    http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

Chris.

HAHAHA well sourced Chris, I use a similar service to create favicons from photos but it was one of my little design secrets ;) I use DynamicDrive for a lot of their CSS tutorials, they have some good ideas.

Happy to share though :)

http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/

This service will also give you an animated favicon with scrolling text but, it cant actually be used as a favicon because it is a .GIF not a .ICO however, it is still useful for creating little links in forum signatures etc

Default Converting a jpg to ico to make favicon

The do-it-youself website was interesting but I am not very artitistic. I would like to take a simple line drawing of a bicycle in jpg format and convert to ico format.

Once done, then all I would have to do is upload that to public_html and put the code in the head section of the pages I want to use it in. Right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx, -K

well I'll be darned, I guess this would answer my question about this favicon error that I have a million of and just always ignored, okay, I am going to do this, but what if you cannot draw, can I use my wolverine image somehow? And when I click on yours Rob or elctronics man I am not seeing it in the address bar?

Hmmm.... where should I be looking?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

I anyone wants to make a little wolverine in favicon for me, I'll take it and use it .....

just like what is in my eye ..... lol

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Wink Re: Converting a jpg to ico to make favicon

Quote Originally Posted by kenhansen
    The do-it-youself website was interesting but I am not very artitistic. I would like to take a simple line drawing of a bicycle in jpg format and convert to ico format.

Once done, then all I would have to do is upload that to public_html and put the code in the head section of the pages I want to use it in. Right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx, -K
    Yes, kenhansen,

You can go to the website that FPRob suggested above, http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/, you can upload your pic and it will convert it to a favicon. This is where I did mine. And it will automatically give you the script and zip file right after you upload, and they also do an animated one for you.

Bear in mind that a lot of us using IE6, for some reason cannot see favicons. No problem in Firefox.

Bill is correct.. I would bet a years salary that those of you who cannot view favicons are using IE.

FOLLOW ME, I’M LOST TOO

www.bannerclickmania.com

Thumbs up Re: How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

Any luck Chris? I feel like a bit of an ass for writing such an in depth tip and getting something as simple as the URL wrong at the same time but... Hopefully you got it working.

Everybody, for advice on favicons (and due to my confusing mistake above), feel free to email me and I will set everything clear.
    Thanks Rob, and I just want to report that I now am the proud owner of a cool wolverine claw as my favicon, thanks to Rob, :) I have it working on my desktop icon, in my web addy and in my favorites and I use internet explorer ....

can anyone else see it ....

www.halifaxwolverinesjra.com

P.S.

May the "Claw Be With You"

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Thanks FPRob and all others for your useful explanations about the above issue.
    I made an icon,uploaded it at the index.html page,added the code above between <head> tags with the right address and published it.Then added my page to favourites and refreshed the browser.
    The favicon was not displayed at IE7 I am using.I could see the icon when typed the address at firefox though.
    But,I want the icon to be displayed at every browser.Is there any other way of doing this? Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony07
    ...I want the icon to be displayed at every browser.Is there any other way of doing this? Please help!
    Not really, each user may have a different setup. I can see most in FF but not in IE6.

Post your web site URL so we take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by bill2006
    Not really, each user may have a different setup. I can see most in FF but not in IE6.

Post your web site URL so we take a look.
    Thanks for your reply!
    My URL address: www.kftirana.info. For now I am using IE7(latest)
    Regards-Tony

Exclamation Re: How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

Its a pity!
    I needed help from someone and my question dont seem to be answered as yet,since displayed nearly 2 weeks ago...
    Vodahost customer support instead were wery fast and useful (as they have ALWAYS been) answering my question(s).
    Then what is this forum for?

Tony, please review the posts with this thread. It appears that it has been explained. It WILL NOT work with Internet Explorer version 6, but does work with version 7. I also see that it works with Firefox and Opera.
    Here are some instructions that I have:
    What is a Favicon.ico

A Favicon is a tiny little image that displays in your browser address bar (and everybody else will see it too) when your site loads into the browser.. Like this....

How to make a Favicon.ico

First you need to make you Icon, you can draw one for free by clicking the following link, then enter your email address and it will be sent to you. http://www.favicon.co.uk/

First, copy the file that has been sent you (called favicon.ico) into exactly the same place as your index.html page.

Then, edit the HTML on your
    index.html page and the HEAD of the page. The HEAD of the page is located at the top. It starts with this.....
    Code:
    <head>
    and it ends with this

Code:
    </head>
    When you have located that part of the page enter the following line of code, it must be located in the HEAD of the page.

Code:
    You are almost done. Publish the index page AND the favicon.ico file and hey presto, a neat little address bar for your site.

Please note:

Internet Explorer is not good at displaying favicons. The is just a Microsoft thing that cannot be avoided although it will display when it feels like it. All other browsers will work perfectly.

__I hope this solves your problem. You will need to dothis for every page if you want it to apprear on all. You will also need an HTML editor to make this change. (ie MS Frontpage)________________

Good Luck,

-Ken

Thanks for your reply Ken!I indeed appreciate your gesture of answering my question.

Finally I solved this problem at the following way:
    I was inserting the appropriate code "between <head> tags" not at "start of the page".Since I rectified that,the icon displays in there clearly.

Thanks and have a very nice day!

Glad I was able to help Tony. I know the feeling when you have a problem and don't get your answer in a timely manner.

-Ken

Thats correct Ken.From the content and importance of my website,I needed an answer asap,which didnt happen here,but was given from Vodahost Help Desk instead in matter of minutes!
    It really doesnt look nice when a forum with thousands of members built for disscusing different issues isnt of any worth and you have to ask for help elsewhere...
    However,lets hope things will be right further on and I wont be dissapointed anymore.
    Regards-Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony07
    Thats correct Ken.From the content and importance of my website,I needed an answer asap,which didnt happen here,but was given from Vodahost Help Desk instead in matter of minutes!
    It really doesnt look nice when a forum with thousands of members built for disscusing different issues isnt of any worth and you have to ask for help elsewhere...
    However,lets hope things will be right further on and I wont be dissapointed anymore.
    Regards-Tony

I would ask you to go through the thousands of threads and you will find indeed, help for many elements of website building and non-website building related areas that people give their knowledge and information freely about.

Your choice of wording in your above statement is unfair. This forum and it's members are very supportive of their peers, and it is all within the goodness of themself, as well as the time they give to help posters.

And your problem was not even blue voda related ..... a further example of the wealth of knowledge and help gained right here in vodaland.

A tip for you .......... If you are having your own problem, make a new thread in the related area ... more attention can be given to you this way .... your post was included with a post that has been going on for months, you should have started your own thread in the appropriate area of the forum.

Now I urge you to reconsider your impression of this forum and set an example yourself, by helping other posters instead .....

Respectfully,

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Hey there

I feel my above comments seem harsh to you and you dont like me harming reputation of this forum,but unfortunately,until I am completely satisfied,I cant change my opinion and it stands as described above.For this I have my reasons.

I have read majority of topics here to find an answer that suit my needs and I am aware of their content.If I would have found there what I was looking for,then I didnt need to ask anyone,did I?Why waste my and others time?
    With huge respect for members who replied and helped me,that question was there almost 10 days and no one didnt even try to answer it.Taking in account there are over 25000 members here(not to mention 100 thousands of guests who can read comments here)I was surprised that help desk answered my question faster than this forum.
    And YES,I think my question was bluevoda related.I have been given an answer from help desk how to upload favicon thorugh blueftp.html.Is this not related?Please lets be real and talk seriously.
    Mister,the problem described above is not my own problem as you mention,but a solution that's worth for everyone who has got this problem and finally finds the answer from this forum.Does this not give better valuation to this forum?Therefore,I dont need to start my own thread,because the issue was already raised in there.If it has been in there for months,causes no harm if someone sends a reply afterwards so the thread stays alive.

Finally,I think my comments here are helpful not harmful for other members.

Regards-Tony

Bethers is offline Major General & Forum Moderator

Tony,
    If you realize that everyone on this forum is here on a volunteer status - helping as they can - you should be grateful, not a spoiled brat - when a question you ask (that is already answered, by the way in the thread prior to you asking it) - is not jumped on immediately.

It's also possible that a thread gets missed. And it wouldn't have been hard for you to come back and nicely "ask" if anyone has the answer.

I don't see that you've taken the time to help out anyone on the forum - so how can you be so fast to complain that the rest here (who are members just like you) haven't jumped when you've had a question???

Rexy93 Guest

Thanks man. I gotta create one now if the flipping link worked!! Can anyone help me out. It says Error Loading Page?

If you're fighting to get your Favicon to work in an Addon Domain:
    I battled with getting IE to recognize my favicon and in the end I changed the link rel that I put into the <head> </head> into this format:
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" REF="http://www.topdomain.com/subdomain folder/favicon.ico">
    as the domains I wanted it to appear in were addon domains within my Voda account - it then worked no problem.
    Firefox of course picked it up immediately even without the Link Rel!

Also: I'm using includes for my header banner&navigation, side menu and footer and found all I had to do was put the <Link Rel in the header banner code and so didn't need to add it into all 200 or so pages on the site as this code is included in all pages.

What would we do without Microsoft to keep us busy?!

CedarAtticVents.com Genuine Cedar Attic Vents, Gable Vents and Shutters in many Standard Designs and Sizes as well as Custom Made to Your Specifications
    HingeAndLatch.com Gate and Door Hardware with the look and feel of yesteryear. Traditional and Antique styles to enhance all your entrance-ways

Wink Re: How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

This is awesome. I was able to create my favicon and it works perfectly even in IE. Thanks for this thread!!!

"First you need to make you Icon, you can draw one for free by clicking the following link, then enter your email address and it will be sent to you. http://www.favicon.co.uk/"

I think this site is not working... Is there any site I can create my favicon from?
    Thanks
    www.gunays.net
    ElTurco

Smile Re: How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

Quote Originally Posted by TURCO
    "First you need to make you Icon, you can draw one for free by clicking the following link, then enter your email address and it will be sent to you. http://www.favicon.co.uk/"

I think this site is not working... Is there any site I can create my favicon from?
    Thanks
    www.gunays.net
    And the answer issss.... google :) Thanks anyway!
    http://www.chami.com/HTML-KIT/services/favicon/

ElTurco

I am liking this! I got it to work first time when I tried it! I now have it on both of my sites homepages and will work on putting it on every page of both sites now! Thanks for this Rob!! :)
    My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!

Exclamation Re: How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

i went to this site that u linked here, but when i click "download" a new window appears asking me if i want to open or save. if i click on open the computer is not reading the extension of the file ("favicon.ico") . i have choose a program. so I'm stuck there.
    if i click "save" I'm able to save it but then i cannot open it.
    am i doing something wrong?
    thanks.

Hi Lflagg,

It does not matter if you cannot open it.

1. Go here: http://www.tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/
    and generate your favicon.
    2. Save it to your PC (somewhere in your BlueVoda folder for safekeeping).

3. Use Blue FTP and upload the generated file ("favicon.ico") to your site. Verify it's there by typing http://mysite.com/favicon.ico in the browser's location, where "mysite.com" is your site's address.

4. Next, insert the below code in the HEAD section of your pages, at the very least, your site's main index page:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

That's it! Note that your favicon may not appear immediately after you've completed the above two steps. In fact, it may take a few days, and in IE, sometimes the favicon will disappear from time to time due to a browser bug.

My favicon took about 4 weeks to be displayed in my browser, so be patient and wait for it.
    Bless you
    Tom

I would like to post a thank you here. I followed all the instructions from the first post to the letter and it worked. Fantastic and my son is soooooo impressed! Well worth doing.
    Thank you to all who posted their knowledge

Debbie
    www.mylastwishesinfrance.com

Default Web Development Developer Center from MSDN

How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page

You can use shortcut icons to display your logo or some other small graphic on the Microsoft Internet Explorer Favorites menu, address bar, and—starting with Windows Internet Explorer 7—page tabs. They have no special Web server requirements and are a great way to add brand recognition to your Web site. The following screen shot shows a shortcut icon for MSN.com on the Favorites menu, the address bar, and a page tab.

Until Internet Explorer 7, shortcut icons would appear only when users added a page to their Favorites. Starting with Internet Explorer 7, shortcut icons will always appear when one is available in a supported format.

In Internet Explorer 6, the icon is stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder on the user's computer, and additional metadata about the icon is stored in the user's history information.
    Creating Icons in the Correct Size and Format

A shortcut icon for Internet Explorer must be square in size, and at least 16 x 16 pixels. Consider creating both a 16 x 16-pixel icon as well as a 32 x 32-pixel icon (and larger, bandwidth permitting), since on high-DPI displays, Internet Explorer may stretch the icon to fit the available space.

To create the icon, use an icon editor, such as the one included in Microsoft Visual Studio, and save the icon in the .ico file format. Internet Explorer will ignore icons that are not in .ico format, and will instead display the default Internet Explorer shortcut icon.
    Associating the Shortcut Icon with Your Web Page

After creating the icon, you must associate it with your Web page. There are two methods for doing this.

The first method is to save the icon with the default file name of favicon.ico to the root directory of your domain—for example, www.microsoft.com/favicon.ico. The first time a user visits your Web page, Internet Explorer automatically searches for this file and places the icon in the address bar, next to all favorites linking to your site, and on page tabs. In Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Explorer 6, the icon will appears only after a user adds the site to the Favorites menu.

The second method for associating a shortcut icon with your Web page is to add a line of HTML code to the page's head element. The line of code includes a link tag that specifies the location and name of the icon file. You can include this link tag on a per-page basis. First, save the icon with a file name other than favicon.ico, and then add the following code to the head element of your page.
    Code:
    <head>
      <link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://www.mydomain.com/myicon.ico"/>
      <title>My Title</title>
    </head>
    You can use either method, or both. However, if you use the second method, whichever icon you point to in the link tag on each page will be displayed instead of the default favicon.ico file at the root of your domain.
    Associating Multiple Shortcut Icons with Different Web Pages

If you want different pages on your Web site to have different shortcut icons, you must use a link tag as described in Associating the Shortcut Icon with Your Web Page. Within the link tag, point to whichever shortcut icon you want to display for that page.
    Changing Your Page's Shortcut Icon

If you have used only the default favicon.ico file at the root of your domain as your shortcut icon, and you change the icon, your users may not see the updated icon until they have cleared their history and cache as described in Troubleshooting Shortcut Icons. Internet Explorer cannot detect whether favicon.ico has changed, so it will load a new copy only if it does not have one already.

To prevent this, use a link tag as described in Associating the Shortcut Icon with Your Web Page and use a different file name for the new shortcut icon. Internet Explorer compares the file name in the link tag to the known file name stored in the history information. If the file name has changed, Internet Explorer downloads the new icon.
    Adding the Web Page to the User's Favorites Menu

In Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Explorer 6, a shortcut icon does not appear on the address bar unless the user chooses to add the page as a favorite. You can add a button or link to your page that prompts the user to add your page as a favorite. The following code is an example of one way to do this.
    Code:
    <script>
    <!--
    if ((navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") > 0)
      && (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4)) {
        var sText = "<u><span style='color:blue;cursor:hand;'";
        sText += "onclick='window.external.AddFavorite(location.href,";
        sText += "document.title);'>Add this page to your favorites</span></u>";
        document.write(sText);
    }
    //-->
    </script>
    Troubleshooting Shortcut Icons

If you are seeing the incorrect or default shortcut icon for your Web page, try the following:

* Verify that the shortcut icon is the correct size and format. For more information, see Creating Icons in the Correct Size and Format. Note that shortcut icons in image formats other than .ico—for instance, .bmp, .gif, or .png—cannot be displayed in Internet Explorer.
    * Clear the Internet Explorer cache and history information. If either has become corrupted, incorrect shortcut icons may appear.
    o To clear the cache and history information in Internet Explorer 7, on the Tools menu, click Delete Browsing History. Click Delete files to clear the cache, and click Delete history to clear the history information. Also, since shortcut icons for favorites are stored in the shortcut (.url) file in Internet Explorer 7, try removing the favorite and adding it again.
    o To clear the cache and history information in Internet Explorer 6, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete files, and under History, click Clear history.
    * Verify that Internet Explorer can store the shortcut icon in the Temporary Internet Files folder. If you have set Internet Explorer to not keep a cache, then it will not be able to store the icon and will display the default Internet Explorer shortcut icon instead.

cool, i added a favicon to my webpage and i think its groovy as not every site has them

cheers ears

bluerovers
    www.bluerovers.co.nz

Hi to All!!!! :)

I'm glad to have read TomVr's comment of it possible not showing straight away, because I updated my index page and Blueftp-ed my favicon, and it's not showing yet :( sniffsnottersniff
    But,I'll wait for awhile and see if they would like to get to know eachother first,before showing in public ;) lol

Thanx for this great info though!!!
    Karin
    Strangers are possible Friends I haven't met Yet !.!.!

www.nativetreasures.co.uk

Many thanks to FPRob for the Favicon instructions in the very first post!

Following the instructions worked perfectly and the Favicon came up on all my pages as I visited each one.

Woo-hoo!

... JANET
    http://www.renaissanceautos.com

does it have an effect if you have the bluevoda website builder but you dont have the account?

when i do it the square paper just comes out. help

Hello All!
    Elena here www.septemberschild.com
    Love the http://www.html-kit.com/favicon generator and my icon came out great. I have a question though....how do I "upload" the file folder to my index page??? How do I get it to the BlueVoda?

It is a separate file that is uploaded to the server, and you need to follow the installation instructions that were included along with the process of "making it" so you can embed it in your BV-HTML page .... (review here if needed)
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

OK~ I have my favicon on my main website (http://www.twelvebeads.com) and now I want to set up one on my subdomain. My TwelveBeads favicon is showing in my subdomain window.

I went to http://www.favicon.co.uk/ and created the favicon and saved it in my BellaBanana folder (that is the subdomain). I pasted the code into the head of my index page (<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.bellabanana.com/favicon.ico">).

I can not for the life of me figure out how to get my icon from the file into my subdomain. I know I struggled with my first site and stuck with it till I got it, but don't really know how I did it.

I could really use some help.

Thanks~

Subdomain http://www.bellabanana.com

Hello, I must have a older IE. Could someone take a look at my site and see if the Favicon icon displays.

Many thanks
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by DCOFFICESERVICES View Post
    Hello, I must have a older IE. Could someone take a look at my site and see if the Favicon icon displays.

Many thanks
    Darren

When your site is book marked as a favorite, the favicon shows in my favorites list ..

the favicon does not show in the address bar ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

so i feel super dumb because what i can't figure out is how to publish the .ico image once i've made it. need some serious hand holding through this part apparently

Default Re: How to make a F****on.ico and display it the browser address bar

Hello there,

I really liked the idea of an icon and immediatly tried it, but i was unable to complete it. i downloaded the file to the my webpage's index.html section and it appears as "f****onCAC0JZJZ", then i pasted it in my index page html section as follows:
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.dahliastreetfilms.com/f****onCAC0JZJZ">

I saved it between the head section and published it. It wouldn't show. I noticed that I need to publish both the index page and the icon, but I am not sure of how to publish just the icon.

Any suggestions or help?

thanks a lot

www.dahliastreetfilms.com

Default Re: How to make a F****on.ico and display it the browser address bar

Hi mmayeux,
    First create your fav icon. See this link to help. Click here.
    Save it to your PC.
    Open your page properties.
    There is a Favorites Icon field. Browse to and select the fav icon you have just saved. (New with BV10).
    That's it.
    Enjoy.
    Bless you
    Tom

oh please help got my flavicon but cant understand all this previous info found my page html but cant find the head bit at all and finding this so frustrating just want it done now

Hi,
    In BlueVoda website builder index page, right-click the page and select Page HTML. There you will see all the tags. Open the tag Between Head Tag. That is where you need to paste the code.
    Bless you
    Tom

I have not downloaded BV10 yet. Here's another method:
    Choose or make an (72dpi) image.
    Follow directions to convert to .ico format: http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/
    Place this script in the Between Head Tag in the Page HTML window:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >
    FTP your favicon to your public_html drectory.
    That's it!
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

I JUST CANNOT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THIS COMMAND.. anyone can translate?
    Thank you
    paul

Open your BV web builder:
    Tools/FTP Manager/Connect (fill out the window) drag the favicon.ico from your file on the left hand side of the window to your public_html directory on the right hand side of the window.
    http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sav...e-blueftp.html
    That's it !!!
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

What company would you recommend so I can display my favicon all the time?

Company?
    The web browser that a customer is using determines how the favicon is viewed.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

I know I've asked before but I am still having problems. You state:
    "First, copy the file that has been sent you (called favicon.ico) into exactly the same place as your index.html page."
    What do you mean by "the same place as your index.html page"? In ftp? Within the Bluevoda site builder? I apologize for the confusion on my part.
    Your help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Joe

www.comic-art-ink.com

Comic,
    Open your BV web builder:
    Click on.......Tools/FTP Manager/Connect (fill out the window) drag the favicon.ico from your file on the left hand side of the window to your public_html directory on the right hand side of the window.
    That's it !!!
    http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sav...e-blueftp.html
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

I realize this is an old thread, but maybe someone will see it...

I created my favicon. Thanks so much for the info. I've always wanted to do that. If anyone wants to see it, go to:

www.extremevideotraining.com

The others on this thread say that it works in Firefox, but IE has trouble. I am having the opposite trouble. It works fine in IE, but NOT in Firefox. I just get what looks like a blank sheet of paper.

Thanks for sharing this!

wow it is amazing how much you can learn from the research of others. I have wanted a favicon for my site for a while but had no idea how to do it. now i know. mine hasn't appeared yet but i guess i'll wait since Tom vR said it tooks his 4 weeks to appear.

yeehaw
    couple hours later it is working
    this is awesome stuff

Wink Re: How to make a Favicon.ico

Hi there

For all of you who want to create a favicon (favorites icon) and are proud owners of Photoshop (versions 3.0 or higher), here's a link where you can get a plug-in that lets you make your own icon:
    http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/i...st/README.html

Thanks everyone for your knowledge and willing to share it. finally got my icon working. the favicon sites instructions didnt seem to do it for me but i copied n pasted a script posted here....and Bobs yer uncle!

I wasnt even a member, just joined to say thankyou, but i think i'll be hanging around, borderline loitering perhaps. is this forum mainly for people who are using this vodahost to host their website? im hosted elsewhere but theres just so much info in here i feel it will help me with so many things. oh and I aint even started threading yet whuahaha....na, all my answers are usually pre-answered.

Pretty much everyone here is, or has been, building sites using BlueVoda which is the free software offered by VodaHost. Since 99&#37; of people using BlueVoda are so happy with it they don't mind at all that they must then host their site with VodaHost. Also many people, having tested BV have then transferred their domain names over to VH!
    One of the main reasons people are so happy with BV/VH is, indeed, the amount of excellent help/advice/tips to be found in these forums.
    Feel free to stick around & discover new tricks & tips.......
    david
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Thread Information