Thread: code: Disable Right Click

Default code: Disable Right Click

Codes and tips for disabling right mouse button clicks have been many on this forum. This little review is to let you know just how useless such codes are.

The right click function on your mouse displays features that are available in the top menu on all browsers. I am sure you have by now already worked it out.

The right click can be disabled but all of those options are still freely available in the top menu.

In the case of protecting your pictures. They cannot be saved from the top menu but the 'View Source' or 'View Page Source' option can be selected.

By viewing the source code of your page users can find out the web address where picture is located, type that address into their browser and yup.. you guessed it... the picture will appear in a new browser window which does not include the disable right click code thereby allowing the person to right click and save the pic.

Throw your disable right click code in the bin, it really is just adding to the file size of your pages.

Default Re: code: Disable Right Click

while i would agree with you rob, i think there are many people out here that do not know that, so you are stopping a few ... kind of like cops and robbers game ... you catch some and some you never do ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

i steal they stael we all steal it was created for free it was made by the people it is being no has been taken over by g**gle lol and well i frankly think all things net should be free you put it up expect to get it taken down
    oh and maxthon has a smal right click enable button on top right corner
    the moral is they can make the software to protect then they obviusly can make the software to take so if there is anything you want from my sites feel free to take
    The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
    Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Wink Re: code: Disable Right Click

Quote Originally Posted by FPRob
    Codes and tips for disabling right mouse button clicks have been many on this forum. This little review is to let you know just how useless such codes are.

The right click function on your mouse displays features that are available in the top menu on all browsers. I am sure you have by now already worked it out.

The right click can be disabled but all of those options are still freely available in the top menu.

In the case of protecting your pictures. They cannot be saved from the top menu but the 'View Source' or 'View Page Source' option can be selected.

By viewing the source code of your page users can find out the web address where picture is located, type that address into their browser and yup.. you guessed it... the picture will appear in a new browser window which does not include the disable right click code thereby allowing the person to right click and save the pic.

Throw your disable right click code in the bin, it really is just adding to the file size of your pages.
    Oh, my gosh Rob you are smart....I tried what you said and the whole code was there....however as Ladyeye says most people don't know this or do they?

I have no right click on a couple of pages ie: customer pics, customers email pictures to me....so I want to be able to protect those pics for the people.....also in my chronicles in which all the chronicle, folk costumes and uniforms are books that I have....alot of work to scan and edit these pictures....I know you can get the whole page with FP, but again I thought the majority of people wouldn't know this.....so I went with the right click on some of those pages....I know I happen to be one of the biggest pirates of all...hee hee.

So my question to you Rob, is this no right click some of my active x problem?

The best right-click deny scripts come from Whatdaflip and Nyomen, but I like Alien's personally....it has a pop-up message that thwarts most people from going further.

Whether or not you use this tactic, you should know all the ins-and-outs of Copyright, Trademark, and other principles that are also involved with regard to proper website planning and design. This is in itself more "protection" and surety that most seek.

And, in the long run, you can always proclaim your preeminence by delivering a cease and desist letter if you can definitively prove rights....but, you have to know how to surf and scour (again, part of protecting your interests > file titling and stamping)....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Quote Originally Posted by Vasili
    The best right-click deny scripts come from Whatdaflip and Nyomen, but I like Alien's personally....it has a pop-up message that thwarts most people from going further.

Whether or not you use this tactic, you should know all the ins-and-outs of Copyright, Trademark, and other principles that are also involved with regard to proper website planning and design. This is in itself more "protection" and surety that most seek.

And, in the long run, you can always proclaim your preeminence by delivering a cease and desist letter if you can definitively prove rights....but, you have to know how to surf and scour (again, part of protecting your interests > file titling and stamping)....
    All good, thanks Kiddo.

Quote Originally Posted by C L
    So my question to you Rob, is this no right click some of my active x problem?
    Hi CL, 'No Right Click' has nothing to do with ActiveX and it is true that some people do not know the details that I mentioned in the original post but a lot of people do know. the other thing is that 'No Right Click' scripts are normally JavaScript. JavaScript can be disabled in the browser options making the script completely useless, right clicks will work fine.

The bottom line is that if somebody wants the pic then they will get it, it only take a couple of minutes to work out how if the person has half an ounce of intelligence.

CL.... Vasili has ignored the topic and gone into all kinds of technical garbage so dont worry about that. Copyrights are nothing to do with 'No Right clicks' and his long words mean nothing in this thread :)

lol..I have that code. It took me forever to get find it. Then I was sooo proud...then I found that on IE all you do is hold the cursor over the photo and poof..youve got my pic!...
    Your so right its basically useless...
    but then like what the lady said ... some are discouraged. But not the determined ones....
    I was once told if I dont want someone to steal anything from me dont post it on the net...lol

Disable right click will work only in one case.. you can add a script that greys out the 'source' option in the View menu.. both together will protect you.. anything else and you're wasting your time..

Exclamation Re: code: Disable Right Click

CL.... Vasili has ignored the topic and gone into all kinds of technical garbage so dont worry about that. Copyrights are nothing to do with 'No Right clicks' and his long words mean nothing in this thread :)
    Quite the contrary.
    I mentioned which codes (which anyone can find using advanced Search, entering the specific names I mentioned) which even boasted features that made them different from each other.

And, judging by the many threads and discussions in the last 3 months alone, when a "right-click disable" script is being sought, most of the regard concerned copyright or protecting images. My comments were not "technical" but only served to highlight the different aspects of intent, so if my peers went further, they would have a better understanding.

You guys, make me so dizzy.....hee hee

Quite the contrary.
    I mentioned which codes (which anyone can find using advanced Search, entering the specific names I mentioned) which even boasted features that made them different from each other.

And, judging by the many threads and discussions in the last 3 months alone, when a "right-click disable" script is being sought, most of the regard concerned copyright or protecting images. My comments were not "technical" but only served to highlight the different aspects of intent, so if my peers went further, they would have a better understanding.
    Yeeeah it's true but honestly.... what on earth has any of that got to do with the the fact that 'disable right click codes' are just entirely useless (the subject of this thread)?

I agree with you, Rob....really!
    I agree with your original post, and your conclusions, and even your motivation to post.

I only wished to point out some differences of why some felt the need, and buttressed your point that there was no need....if the differences between copyright and trademark/registration were fully understood.....and I am sure it still confounds many!
    (The jabs and innuendo were unecessary, I felt)

CL: It does seem unfortunate that things get a little pointed at times, but hopefully you are able to take things with a grain of salt, and can see things for what they are....

awww Vasili come on.. you know me by now... it might seem pointed and jagged and nasty but for me its just straight forward and honest thoughts. i dont sugar coat anything for anybody. Don't take it personally, 50% of this forum hate me already and I know that you and I have a history but I thought at least there was a little understanding going on. Call me controversial, call me argumentative call me a bully call me what you like, I'm just being me and saying whats on my mind as always (which probably comes across different in person than it does in a written message).

I agree with you, Rob....really!
    I agree with your original post, and your conclusions, and even your motivation to post.

I only wished to point out some differences of why some felt the need, and buttressed your point that there was no need....if the differences between copyright and trademark/registration were fully understood.....and I am sure it still confounds many!
    (The jabs and innuendo were unecessary, I felt)

CL: It does seem unfortunate that things get a little pointed at times, but hopefully you are able to take things with a grain of salt, and can see things for what they are....
    Grain of salt, hmmmmmmm ok, thanks, Kiddo....

awww Vasili come on.. you know me by now... it might seem pointed and jagged and nasty but for me its just straight forward and honest thoughts. i dont sugar coat anything for anybody. Don't take it personally, 50% of this forum hate me already and I know that you and I have a history but I thought at least there was a little understanding going on. Call me controversial, call me argumentative call me a bully call me what you like, I'm just being me and saying whats on my mind as always (which probably comes across different in person than it does in a written message).
    Oh, Lighten up Rob, my best advice is to take things like a grain of salt....I heard that somewhere.................? hee hee

But don't call you late for dinner.

Dinner? Is there food being offered???

I haven't eaten for DAYS......gained a few pounds during my HagenDas therapy, fretting over my lack of progress......

If only I can pull my foot out of my mouth....

Dinner? Is there food being offered???

I haven't eaten for DAYS......gained a few pounds during my HagenDas therapy, fretting over my lack of progress......
    How about an *****, all out of pies....hee hee
    HagenDas isn't that ice cream, what kind of therapy is that? Don't fret Vasili, a friend once told me "take it as a grain of salt."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

why do you wanna disable the right click it has no sens what makes your site so special to do it do you have like top secret information

alright this forum went off the subject at the end, hahaha

vasili, i cannot find the mentioned right click disable functions anywhere.

My opinion is: someone who knows all the options (and I'm not gonna mention the ultimate way of how to steal all images, even in flash, because before reading in this forum i had no idea of how to do anything, and now i'm a image steal master ;) will ultimately be able to steal the iamges, but the more hurdles u throw in the way, the better.

so i would love to find the script that disables view source code

<script language="Javascript1.2">
    // (C) 2003 CodeLifter.com
    // Source: CodeLifter.com
    // Do not remove this header
    // Set the message for the alert box
    am = "This function is disabled!";
    // do not edit below this line
    // ===========================
    bV = parseInt(navigator.appVersion)
    bNS = navigator.appName=="Netscape"
    bIE = navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    function nrc(e) {
    if (bNS && e.which > 1){
    alert(am)
    return false
    } else if (bIE && (event.button >1)) {
    alert(am)
    return false;
    }
    }
    document.onmousedown = nrc;
    if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
    if (bNS && bV<5) window.onmousedown = nrc;
    </script>

A wise man said to me if you dont want your work stolen dont place it on the internet....

fantastic, thanks a lot
    its not that much of a biggie if someone takes the picture, but i would like to discourage it

Talking Re: code: Disable Right Click

Hi friends,

Spikey, sometimes there are pictures that need to be protected by a copyright, they needn't be anything secret... an artist's original material, for instance.

I agree with Vasili, if you need to protect certain images, your first issue would be asking the client to register the relevant logos, images, etc. as a trademark (or ask the artist to copyright the material first) so they have some sort of protection from piracy or explotation of any form, although of course it is a complicated subject it being the Internet where national & international laws apply.

There is another possibility for copying an image: Print Screen, even using Flash someone prints the screen, pastes it in Paint or whatever and any browser trick is useless too. It is true you have to cover as many bases as possible...

Cool Re: code: Disable Right Click

For all intents and purposes......if you are using BV to create your pages, simply create an "object" and completely cover your image by it...then make it transparent.

Since most "ripping" is done by dweebs, this simple measure does not present an irritating scripted message or eliminate all regular right-click functions, and will result in the ripper saving only a transparent object --- they won't figure out what is wrong!
    (However, advanced users will know how to "view source" and simply rip the code....and these are the ones that are more likely to be thwarted with prominent posting of a cognizant Privacy and Infringement Policy that has teeth and as mentioned above, some real prep work to presereve and reserve your copyrights officially).

ahhh.......you guys are missing something....ez-ez you're wrong. Get on the tech wagon.

ok. Disable right click. CHECK
    ok. Disable source code viewing. CHECK

highlight picture. (Yes, drag your mouse over it). Go to "Edit", click "Copy". Hmm.......well that was satisfying....sometimes works too =)

Then there's ... Oh, that's right..."FILE" save as umm...webpage.....good grief. I've just got the entire folder of .gifs, .jpgs, even your background music for that page. And if that doesn't work? (Yes there are scripts that will prevent that)

hmmm...watch me turn my data xfer down by downloading a large file off the web, then while that's happening, load your page. Right down at the bottom left, it will show "(1 image remaining) WITH YOUR PICTURE ADDY.

Guess what I'll do? I'll write it down. If the image loads too quickly, I'll just hit the refresh button until I have the entire address.

Of course, if you know how to manipulate your temporary internet files folders to catch specific IP's during a given time frame you can get it that way too...

The whole point of this post was to address the right click button. It suddenly became way too complicated. If someone wants something from your site, they'll get it. Can you take precautions? Of course. However, there is no real fullproof ways to protect what you have.

Just to worry you even more, there are actually ways to intercept packets travelling through the subnet. "Packet" being a group of data, that is being moved through the internet, from server to server to get from point A to point B. Think of the subnet as the ground, and the internet with all it's links as roadway criss-crossing it.

In this case, you can have data stolen just moving it from one computer to the next through your telephone lines.

Get copyrights. Pay for them. Copyright your pictures. Trademark everything. Know the meaning of "Intellectual property". Know a good lawyer. Have lots of money.

Only then can you have fun with piracy.

Of course you also have to know how to track IPs. Oh yes, there's scripts for that too...

Paul

Vasili is quite right. Be agressive if it means that much to you. Otherwise, pay it no mind, and consider things on the web as "public domain". Generally most "advanced users" will respect the creator's wishes if they see that this amount of "Prep work" went into the site, since most hackzors actually respect a webmaster that knows what they are doing.

Paul

I live in Mornington 50k from Melbourne Australia

Maybe this code help...

Zlatko

<script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    var message="Don't try to right-click";
    ///////////////////////////////////
    function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
    function clickNS(e) {if
    (document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!docum ent.all)) {
    if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}}
    if (document.layers)
    {document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document. onmousedown=clickNS;}
    else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontext menu=clickIE;}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
    // -->
    </script>

Bethers is offline Major General & Forum Moderator

I just love that people keep throwing more disable right click codes out there. They are useless and on this years top 10 list of biggest web pet peeves. Why can't people get what this original post was all about and just quit using it?

if you don't want that people copy your text just use dynamic images, so your text still is editable.
    (for teh newbs: dynamic images are made in php. it just makes an image from your text. it is possible to add a bg picture to. also make sure that you don't use this for the whole text so 'rippers' can just use the immage.)
    This does use alot ofdata transfer.

If you don't want that people view your source use this program
    (I think I've got the rights of that prog so I've posted the link)
    the way this prog encrypts your html it is unpossible to decrypt (so hold on to your normal-html)
    also the page does take longer to load.

this has nothing to do with disable right-click but its the only way to be sure they can't just copy/paste

Talking Re: code: Disable Right Click

Quote Originally Posted by cellopro View Post
    Vasili is quite right. Be agressive if it means that much to you. Otherwise, pay it no mind, and consider things on the web as "public domain". Generally most "advanced users" will respect the creator's wishes if they see that this amount of "Prep work" went into the site, since most hackzors actually respect a webmaster that knows what they are doing. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethers View Post
    Why can't people get what this original post was all about and just quit using it?
    Because of the same reasons the issue itself exists: there are a lot of people who simply cannot do the minimum themselves!
    (Why then, continue to be amazed or irritated that full-reads of threads is not part of the program??)

Hi there everybody,

I recently bought a Microsoft Keyboard. On the top of the keyboard on the top right hand corner [third from right] is a button key which says
    "PrtScn
    SysRq"

Using this key I can snapshot any webpage and paste the shot in Ms Word, Document Pad, Publisher etc.

No right Clicks, just press the key and paste it into any of the above document.

There is one thing I am always afraid of is using encryption program and password protection programs. There are too many passwords to remember and you will always forget one of them.

Im sitting here lmfao.. cant help it. PRNT SCRN has been around almost since microsoft was invented. LOLOLOL...

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

I can't open your web.

----------------------------
    travel advice

Cool Re: code: Disable Right Click

Foreign Users are just becoming more familiar with what we consider "commonplace" computer skills, Karen, so it is not really surprising that excitement is generated by discovering small tips on their own as computers "filter down" to previously unexposed populations.

However, it is still apparent that these Users need to pay attention to the threads they are posting in, and should practice more disipline in keeping "within topic" according to the Rules of each Forum.

So this right click and disable view sorcs button is quite a mess.

What happens to water mark?

Watermark can be edited out by a good graphics person.. but its the most professional way to do it, if you are going to do it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Thread Information