Thread: forum customizing

Question forum customizing

does anyone know how to change the colors etc to match your site in the phbb fantastico forums ?

Default Re: forum customizing

Check here there are lots of skins for your phpbb forum http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?db=2

I've just asked the same question on the phpBB forum.
    I was told that phBB free forums usually have loads of styles to choose from already added by the hosts.Is that Blue Voda?
    I don't have any except subsilver in the drop down menu in admin.

I can't find anywhere to down load a style to?How on earth do change it if I've nowhere to browse from? help!!!
    Am I being a bit of a numpty?
    frogs in wigs

Talking Re: forum customizing

Quote Originally Posted by Ballybumba
    I've just asked the same question on the phpBB forum.
    I was told that phBB free forums usually have loads of styles to choose from already added by the hosts.Is that Blue Voda?
    I don't have any except subsilver in the drop down menu in admin.

I can't find anywhere to down load a style to?How on earth do change it if I've nowhere to browse from? help!!!
    Am I being a bit of a numpty?
    Click Here for most the styles, Download the style you want on to a place you can find it on your computer. then open your ftp manager and connect, on the left side find the folder you just downloaded. on the right side find and open the folder your forum is in. when open find the folder named templates, open this you should see a folder named subSilver, now on the left side of your ftp manager click to highlight the folder of your new skin, then in the tool bar at the top of page find COPY click this a popup will appear click OK now the folder from the left will be copied to the right. Very important when it has finished check that all the files and folders have been copied over. when happy go to your forum sign in and go to admin ( link at bottom of page ) sign into admin, now on the left side of screen there should been a scrolable pannel, scrole down to styleS Admin click Add, on the the main screen you will see a small box appear with Style, Template, Action, under the style and template it should say the name of your new style click Install , when finished go back to admin pannel, to set the new style as the defoult find the general Admin click Configuration scroll down to Default Style make the box your new style also set the Override user style to Yes then click submit , that it your all done return to your forum index and injoy.

Q:1 .Customising of item on sites, and add it field on top page and other pages is easy ?
    How to do it.? . Are there easy to use any instruction site on VodaHost home?. Where is it?
    Q:2,, Can I transfer and set up my existing home page in other host server to your VodaHost with registration. Is it any difficulty to do it?. I must reconstruct my page by Voda blue 8G?.

Q:1 .Customising of item on sites, and add it field on top page and other pages is easy ?
    How to do it.? . Are there easy to use any instruction site on VodaHost home?. Where is it?
    Q:2,, Can I transfer and set up my existing home page in other host server to your VodaHost with registration. Is it any difficulty to do it?. I must reconstruct my page by Voda blue 8G?.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliens Anonymous
    Click Here for most the styles, Download the style you want on to a place you can find it on your computer. then open your ftp manager and connect, on the left side find the folder you just downloaded. on the right side find and open the folder your forum is in. when open find the folder named templates, open this you should see a folder named subSilver, now on the left side of your ftp manager click to highlight the folder of your new skin, then in the tool bar at the top of page find COPY click this a popup will appear click OK now the folder from the left will be copied to the right. Very important when it has finished check that all the files and folders have been copied over. when happy go to your forum sign in and go to admin ( link at bottom of page ) sign into admin, now on the left side of screen there should been a scrolable pannel, scrole down to styleS Admin click Add, on the the main screen you will see a small box appear with Style, Template, Action, under the style and template it should say the name of your new style click Install , when finished go back to admin pannel, to set the new style as the defoult find the general Admin click Configuration scroll down to Default Style make the box your new style also set the Override user style to Yes then click submit , that it your all done return to your forum index and injoy.
    I'm trying to custimize my forum as well. I tried following what you said above but I ran across some problems.

First off I downloaded the style I wanted. Then I tried to find the ftp manager like you said. I was not really sure where this was so I tried my control panel in BV and found an ftp manager. However, I did not see where I needed to connect or a list of files on the left or anything on the right either. All I got was a list for FTP Accounts, Setup Anonymous FTP Accounts, Anonymous FTP Message, and FTP Session Control.

Am I in the right place? Am I doing something wrong?
    ID: 11830
    www.steadyracing.net

Forum Menace!

Providing you are using BlueVoda

on computer click start / all programs / Find BlueVoda WebSite Builder run curser over you will see a list click the BlueFTP . better still click the BlueFTP and hold the click down then drag into your start menu.
    on opening ftp click connect enter your info into the fields in the popup then press connect.

Providing you are using BlueVoda

on computer click start / all programs / Find BlueVoda WebSite Builder run curser over you will see a list click the BlueFTP . better still click the BlueFTP and hold the click down then drag into your start menu.
    on opening ftp click connect enter your info into the fields in the popup then press connect.
    I got all connected and copied the file from the left to the right but when I go to add it to my forum it does not show up under the Style, Template, Action box. Any idea what I am doing wrong there?
    ID: 11830
    www.steadyracing.net

Forum Menace!

Quote Originally Posted by BLK306
    I got all connected and copied the file from the left to the right but when I go to add it to my forum it does not show up under the Style, Template, Action box. Any idea what I am doing wrong there?
    You have to unzip it before uploading it.

I've been trying to do the exact samething.....except I cant even connect to my FTP when I follow the above directions it says:

The attempt to connect to the FTP server failed.
    Last server response:
    View the Trace Window for more details
    (Menu->Remote->Trace Window)

Can someone pls tell me why this is happening? I've downloaded the template I like to my desktop....so far that's as far as I get :(

Thank you for any help
    http://www.ka-clan.com/

Hi all... I'm trying to work this cutomization as well, but I'm having some sort of trouble finding the actual forum directory in my FTP.

I open Blue FTP and go to look for the forum directory... it's not showing up. I don't have a folder anywhere. ??? In fact, when I open the public HTML, it doesn't even list the entire library of files that's in there.

Is there a step I missed?

I downloaded a zip file from the website and was going to add it just like the instructions say... but there doesn't seem to be a folder that has anything to do with forums or "subsilver" or anything like that.

I'm a little confused. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hester
    Hi all... I'm trying to work this cutomization as well, but I'm having some sort of trouble finding the actual forum directory in my FTP.

I open Blue FTP and go to look for the forum directory... it's not showing up. I don't have a folder anywhere. ??? In fact, when I open the public HTML, it doesn't even list the entire library of files that's in there.

Is there a step I missed?

I downloaded a zip file from the website and was going to add it just like the instructions say... but there doesn't seem to be a folder that has anything to do with forums or "subsilver" or anything like that.

I'm a little confused. Any help would be great. Thanks!
    As your Forum is there and showing up the folder is the there, look in your main directory for a folder named forum, as you have changed the logo .

As your Forum is there and showing up the folder is the there, look in your main directory for a folder named forum, as you have changed the logo .
    I'll get back to you once I get back from work. I still can't seem to find it but I'll respond again later.

Okay... I'm back.

So, yes I know that the folder is there. It shows up when I open my control panelX thingie. I added my own pic through the file manager online.

But what I'm saying is that when I open up Blue FTP, the folder isn't showing up. In fact, there are a number of files and folders that do not show up in the public html section in Blue FTP. Does that make sense?

When I open the FTP and it's split down the middle... left side computer stuff, right side the FTP manager, the FTP is not showing all of the folder/files.

I didn't try doing this through the file manager online yet, so I'll go try that in a bit. The only thing that was confusing to me though was that the actual folders were not shoing up in my FTP editor.

George, do you have lots and lots of files in your public_html directory? Too many things in there can cause a problem like what you're describing.

You might try using a different ftp manager to see if things look differently that way, as well. Coreftp and smartftp are both good ones to use, a Google search for either will find it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by racefan20
    George, do you have lots and lots of files in your public_html directory? Too many things in there can cause a problem like what you're describing.

You might try using a different ftp manager to see if things look differently that way, as well. Coreftp and smartftp are both good ones to use, a Google search for either will find it for you.
    Yeah I have a LOT of files in my public_html. Maybe I need to clean it up or move stuff??? I always wondered why there were so many files there, but that just seems to be where everything goes when I publish my webpage stuff.

Thanks for the info on the other FTP sites. I'll see what I can find and I'm sure it will work. I didn't realize that this happens when having so many files. We'll see if this works! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hester
    Yeah I have a LOT of files in my public_html. Maybe I need to clean it up or move stuff??? I always wondered why there were so many files there, but that just seems to be where everything goes when I publish my webpage stuff.

Thanks for the info on the other FTP sites. I'll see what I can find and I'm sure it will work. I didn't realize that this happens when having so many files. We'll see if this works! :)
    You probably should clean it up, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you to be very careful what you remove.

Can someone pls answer my question above?....I tried everything Aliens described yet I keep getting this message when I try to connect to my FTP:

The attempt to connect to the FTP server failed.
    Last server response:
    View the Trace Window for more details
    (Menu->Remote->Trace Window)

Can someone pls address this problem, thanks so much for any information.

www.ka-clan.com

If you're using BlueFTP, make sure you input the correct IP address.

Question Re: forum customizing

Man, I can't seem to figure out this slight problem.

I was able to clean up (delete) a lot of useless files that were mostly button images and link icons I used before I revamped my site. For whatever reason there are still about 500 individual files that are my top button images (and their hover image) for my page. I don't understand why there are so many. Unless each individual page has their own set. This might be an issue for another thread, but I thought I would mention it.

So far I have just used SmartFTP and it's doing the exact same thing. I wouldn't say "exact" but when I open it, there's no folder showing that represents "forum" in the public_html. (though, I see it when I look at my file manager in cPanelX).

I tried just uploading the files individually to the foum folder, and with all the time that took me to do, it didn't seem to work. And I'm too tired now to try and figure out what I may have done wrong.

Is it possible to make this work by just going to the cPanel file manager and do what I just did? Or does it absolutely have to be done through the FTP? So far I haven't had any luck with either way.

Does this all make sense? I'm not sure if I'll be able to figure it out, but if not then I can live withouth being able to add the custom theme to my forum.

For some reason I can't edit my last post... but I kinda figured it out. Sorta made a dumb mistake and forgot to click the "overwrite existing files" box. Man did I shoot myself in the foot on that one.

But now it's all a mess. It figures that I'd go through it all and it's only 75% done. It's also unfortunate that the text color of the new mod I added is white and the background is white... supposed to be black... or blue. I can't remember.

It's all kinda screwed up now too where I'm missing the normal index at the top where it lists things like "profile" "member list" etc.

eh... any ideas?

my forum addy is here

dang... what happened to the edit feature? ;)

anyway... the forum is supposed to look like this.

Obviously uploading all of the files individually didn't work. Unless I messed something up, which is very likely.

You messed it up, my friend, but it's fixable. When adding a new style, it should go into a separate folder within your forum's "templates" folder, don't overwrite the default Subsilver files.

To fix what you've done, go to phpbb.com and download and unzip the forum script to your pc. Then, through your file manager, navigate to your forum>templates>subsilver folder. Use the file upload utility to upload the files from the templates>subsilver folder you just downloaded to your pc and make sure to check the box to allow overwriting.

George, I have to head to bed, I work in the morning.

If you continue having problems with this, I can probably help you with it when I get home, if you'd like.

Get in touch with me via email (click here) with your Cpanel login info and I'll have a look for you.

I've done the above and when I went to the Admin panel of my forum it still only shows the SubSilver...Template/theme (not sure)
    When I downloaded the template I unzipped it and put it in a folder in my computer then I copied it to my FTP list....I'm not sure what I did wrong...but it's taken me a long time to get this far....Can someone pls shed some light on my complicated problem pls
    Thanks
    (My apologies for underlining....coudnt get rid of it :S)

Please Read this paying attention to the copying and part. The Showcase

wow! Thank You Aliens Anonymous....you truly understand what it's like
    to be an amateur at this...thanks so much I will definitely try this.
    Thank you

Axioma

how does one find the skins from the link http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?db=2

have looked many times today excuse me if I am a bit thick but sick of looking now,..thanks all

phpbb.com has had a double-disk failure and is not fully functional.
    Try http://www.phpbbhacks.com/templates.php this there download pages.
    Or try http://www.phpbbhacks.com/templatesdemo/ this is the Demo board, use the dropdown box at the top right.

I quit...I have followed and re-followed all the suggestions and examples for downloading the skins or templates for the forums and no luck. They show up under 'export' but not in 'add'. They have their own folders, with all the files in the folders, in the templates file under 'forum' in ftp. Holy **** how do I fix this? I didn't think I was computer illiterate until now.

Exclamation Re: forum customizing

Can anyone help me with the question I just posted? Anyone? Please!?!

Can anyone help with a forum skin question...
    or no?

Arrow Re: forum customizing

Nevermind...I've decided to go with the SMF instead of phpbb. Just easier for me since I couldn't get the help I needed and posting a ticket only said to post on the forum. Lotta help that was.

You should explore how OmniSourceWebs can customize your forum extremely affodable and with more advanced MOD's than other so-called professionals are even aware of!

Email a Preferred Designer Directly
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Thread Information