Thread: How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

Wink How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

Sometimes we want to redirect or cloak a url, the below code is very useful for these purposes.
    <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.abc.com">
    1) Open up a new BlueVoda page
    2) Right mouse click on the blank page and select Page HTML
    3) Insert the above code "Between Head Tag" as shown below

4) Change the abc.com to your desired destination url
    5) Name, Save and Publish

Your Done!

I created a page called sunflower, you can call it whatever you like.When I uploaded sunflower to my public_html folder the end result was the below url.

www.vodahost.com/sunflower.html

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Default Re: How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

Another use of the above code is redirecting 404 error pages.

1) Login to your control panel.
    2) Click Custom Error Pages
    3) Select 404 error
    4) Place the above code in the error box
    5) Change the abc.com to the desired destination url
    6) Click save

404 Error Page Tutorial

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Thumbs up Re: How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

These globally announced "Logon Tips" are a wonderful addition to VodaTalk!

I know they can prove to be very useful to Users, and add the extra element of participation toward web building success that has made VodaHost so deservedly reknowned!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

I'm gonna have to try this. thanks VH

This is also a great way to cloak a affiliate link.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Hi,

I read your tip on redirecting and cloaking a url...........and was wondering, what on earth does that mean? you are sending the url page somewhere else, or in cognito? and what is the purpose for such a ruse?

Thanks, am learning something new every day on BV.

Mindy (www.bubbeesbeads.org)

Lightbulb Re: How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

Quote Originally Posted by bubbee21
    Hi,

I read your tip on redirecting and cloaking a url...........and was wondering, what on earth does that mean? you are sending the url page somewhere else, or in cognito? and what is the purpose for such a ruse?
    Thanks, am learning something new every day on BV. Mindy (www.bubbeesbeads.org)
    As hinted at above, whenever you wish to re-direct a visitor to another website or even a page on a website not normally available, you can use this "re-direct script" to make a seamless transition for visitors.

As General VodaHost mentioned, it is also useful when you have an Affiliate relationship, and you may have a hosted website that recieves your traffic, but you may not wish your visitors to know that it is not truly your website they arrive at..... for example: you have Widgets.com and do a lot of advertising to get customers to go to your widgets.com, but rather than try to design a super-duper site yourself, you have your widget manufacturer clone a site with your banner on top from his Affiliate program so you can appear to have the entire inventory to offer (a virtual inventory), and if you have a plain "index" page at your own widget.com with a re-direct script placed on it, every visitor will literally bounce off your site to the affiliate site without knowing the difference....

A re-direct is also particularly useful (as General VodaHosat also mentioned) when you prefer to avoid having error page messages appear by simply re-directing all inquiries for that page somewhere else. In this mention, a 404 error message means "Page Not Found", as if you have not yet pulished the page.....re-directing comes in handy, say, by having your "index" page published with all the links to pages that may not yet be complete, but if visitors click on that link, they could be re-directed to a generic message page or even back to the "index" page....in the meantime, you can be working on that not completed page "behind a screen" so to speak.

There are many ways to accomplish "directed navigation" with Blue Voda and websites in general, and they are all quite simple really! It is merely the fruits of undersatanding having focused on logic and linear (computer) thinking processes......you will undoubtedly get the hang of it quite soon, as every measure of progress built into Blue Voda is layered upon the precepts learned earlier.

and on you go!

here is an example of a custom error page:

http://www.electronics4dummies.com/lsfhlkdsfhkdvbkl bd,nvbd,jfhkdshfkjsdgfjksdgfdskbfkdfhgsdlkfhgskjdg fakjsgfkjasghfsydg

Ok.. does this also mean that I can use re-direction for a page name that is not registered?
    I dont want to renew an old domain name registration, but I would want the visitors whenever they write this name into their browser, to be re-directed to a page that I will have prepared in my own site for this purpose. Can this be done, provided that noone else registers the name?

Quote Originally Posted by grecenet
    Ok.. does this also mean that I can use re-direction for a page name that is not registered?
    I dont want to renew an old domain name registration, but I would want the visitors whenever they write this name into their browser, to be re-directed to a page that I will have prepared in my own site for this purpose. Can this be done, provided that noone else registers the name?

I believe you must own the domain for which you would like to re-direct. It may be worth registering the domain for the year, redirecting from that, giving everyone the opportunity to bookmark the new addy.... just a thought.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Any re-direction involving a domain name is done via the server that domain name is parked. You must own (or have the right to set) the nameservers or redirection of service for every domain.
    Interior redirection ("bouncing" off websites to another) is accomplished again, within a website that is associated with a domain you are legally entitled to manage.

Otherwise, wouldn't it be great to have the ability to redirect all of say, Walmart's traffic to MY store?? Might be able to get away with it for about 5 minutes (how much could we make in 5 minutes?) but would end up in jail for 5 years! LOLOL

lol vasili! thnx.

Parakalo!

Hi again, and thanks for your speedy reply, but your answer means nothing to me I'm afraid!
    I will be using various soad sign images on my welcome page and need text to pop up when clicked or hovered over.

Many thanks

thanks everyone..this is very helpful...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
    Nancy

www.theorganizedzone.com

Thanks ***** and Vaisili for your elaboration, I have got quite a few areas where cloaking would come in useful
    Bruce Hewitt
    YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE...
    IT MIGHT AS WELL BE TODAY!

http://www.panzoomproperties.com
    http://www.thebabydolls.biz
    bruce@webbrok.com

WOW!!!

Thank you VodaHost!!!

Chris

Very useful information. Thanks *****

Thank you !

Hi General,

I have done this and its working. But I need to ask how do I make it open in another window. For example, I'm an affiliate to VH. I've put in the banner on my website but when I click on the banner, it changes on the existing website which I do not want. Is there any additional codes or steps I must do?

Thanking you in advance.

Lightbulb Re: How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

Quote Originally Posted by beoptimist4life View Post
    Hi General,

I have done this and its working. But I need to ask how do I make it open in another window. For example, I'm an affiliate to VH. I've put in the banner on my website but when I click on the banner, it changes on the existing website which I do not want. Is there any additional codes or steps I must do?

Thanking you in advance.
    You will most likely find your solution here: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/ebu...html#post51621 (posts 2 and 4)

erwrssd Guest

Hi, My website addy is http://www.mytoothcaretips.com.

I opened a sub-domain http://www.mytoothcaretips.com/badbreath

My text affiliate link is <a href="<A href="http://norsuhir85.bbr105.hop.clickbank.net/">Bad">http://norsuhir85.bbr105.hop.clickbank.net/">Bad Breath Cure </a>

What should I do if I want to redirect the text affiliate link from my main website to my subdomain?

OR is there another way to do it so that ppl cannot see my click bank hoplink?

I used to have a page on my coffee site http://www.mycoffeegourmet.com/decaf.php it does not exist anymore so I want to re-direct any incoming traffic to my gourmet coffee page. I thought that I had a re-direct set up but it did not work and trying an error page set up has not work.

Here is the script that is in my 404 Error Page in my CPanel:
    Sorry the
    <!--#echo var="REQUEST_URI" --> does not exist. Please go back now
    <!--#echo var="HTTP_REFERER" -->
    <!--
    <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.mycoffeegourmet.com">
    -->

Is this correct or what am I doing wrong here?

Plus how does this work for two sites that I have? Do I set up 404 pages for both?
    My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!

Just place

<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0; URL=http://www.mycoffeegourmet.com">

in the between head tag of a blank page, save it as the old page (be sure to publish as php) and you will be ok.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Naval,

Worked like a charm as usual! :) thank you again!
    My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasili View Post
    You will most likely find your solution here: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/ebu...html#post51621 (posts 2 and 4)
    You are amazing General Vasili, I didn't even know BV had help for affiliates promoting other company products and not just BV hosting. Thank you sooooooo much!!! BlueVoda ROCKS!!!
    Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
    Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

works like a charm indeed, time for lots of fun designing custom error pages.

bluerovers
    www.bluerovers.co.nz

I have used this code tip in my 404 error page which is great thank you. However, it works on my main domain only. I have several other sites as add on doamins, how do I change the 404 error paghes for each of these too?
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Hi

I must admit I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to all this webdomain hosting stuff. I have a domain - have set up a redirect to a microsite (no problem) but have no idea of how to do this cloaking business. Even after reading (& re-reading) instructions below from VodaHost - thx - still have no idea. NB I have access to the Control Panel of my domain.

Q. What is a BlueVoda page.

Therefore any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wink Re: How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

Quote Originally Posted by Glennal View Post
    Hi I must admit I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to all this webdomain hosting stuff. I have a domain - have set up a redirect to a microsite (no problem) but have no idea of how to do this cloaking business. Even after reading (& re-reading) instructions below from VodaHost - thx - still have no idea. NB I have access to the Control Panel of my domain.
    Q. What is a BlueVoda page.
    Therefore any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    These are the VodaTalk Forums, the online Support Community for VodaHost customers and Users of Blue Voda, the proprietary website building tool that is by far the most feature-packed and easiest to use tool on the entire net. Best of all, VodaHost allows you to download Blue Voda Free to begin immediately to build an awesome websitre literally within minutes.

The Video Tutorials are a Godsend, and actualy make learning to use Blue Voda entertaining. The VodaTalk Forums (here, where you are now) are chock-full of tips, techniques, and important information to make using Blue Voda to most advanced tool you'll ever need: whenever you need to overcome a challenge or require further assistance, you can always Search the forums to find the answer and practical solutions. They have all been answered in one form or another already....

So .... back to your original "issue" ...... if you would like to build a website without getting bogged down in gobbltygook and technobabble, first write down a simple web plan that you can refer to.

Then use this link to download Blue Voda onto your computer as instructed, for Free.

Next, you will want to return to these forums to review the Tutorials (in sequence), and if you have Blue Voda open on your computer while viewing the tutorials, you can pause them to immediately practice the technique being described, so you can get a real hang of how easy it is to use. This also builds good techno-habits, as the skills are progressive, building upon one another. (Staying in sequence is advised).

That's all there is to it! It's free, it's easy, and there is more Support handy than you could possibly need.

Good Luck!

Reading this post reminds me of a query I've had for a while. I've called one domain aboriginalarttreasures.com it was only after I got the name that I realised there was a problem as some people type in only one "t". After I joined Vodahost & saw the re-direction option I was wondering if there is a simple way I can get people to my site if they type the wrong spelling in?

I'm afraid not. You see, if they type the wrong address in the browser, they simply get a 404 page not found message.
    The only way this could be done is the following: You purchase the aboriginalartreasures.com domain (only one t) and you add it as addon in your account. Then you set a redirect from this, to your real (double t) domain.
    Navaldesign
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Ok
    This was supposed to be easy but I'm still having problems with this.
    I opened a blank page.
    pasted in it:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-3093605-10358126">

which is my affiliate url.

saved the page as keen.php and published it

on my site I directed the link to www.mydomain.com/keen.php so that no one will be able to see my affiliate link but the end result is that it brings me to www.psychiccenter.com/keen.php which is not good - I don't need the "keen.php" add on after the "www.psychiccener.com"
    what can I do ?

please take a look at the link at the bottom of this page (the one that says "Keen").

Thanks.

At the moment, This: http://www.psychiccenter.com
    is being redirected to this: http://www.psychiccenter.com /TelephonyUS/phone/welcome.aspx
    so where ever you have placed the .php page is being bypassed.

Your php cloaking page url is conflicting with another site so just change the
    keen.php to something else meaningful..............

I don't think I quite understand - just change the name of the php file to something else ?

ok I did all steps im assuming correctly EXCEPT the one that says:

Now upload the file to your domain and place a link to this file on your webpage. when people now click on the link on your page they will be directed to the file we've just made and then instantly redirected to the affilaite site through your link.

First I FTP'ed the file, "affiliate.html" to my public_html folder

Then it says to:

Place a link to this file on your webpage. when people now click on the link on your page they will be directed to the file we've just made and then instantly redirected to the affilaite site through your link.

-So I opened Blue Voda and double clicked my link to change the URL to:

ftp://74.86.118.25/public_html/affiliate.html

I then published and tested the link but I get this:

ftp://74.86.118.25/public_html/affiliate.html Internet Explorer cannot find this webpage.

-So what did I do wrong?

-Thanks in advance!
    DM

Arrow Re: How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

Quote Originally Posted by DM Owner View Post
    I then published and tested the link but I get this: ftp://74.86.118.25/public_html/affiliate.html Internet Explorer cannot find this webpage. -So what did I do wrong?
    Think maybe it should be "http://" ??

The link should actually be something like

http://74.86.118.25/~cpusername/public_html/affiliate.html

where cpusername is your real control panel username
    Navaldesign

Question Re: How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

General,

I have done all as you requested and now I get this error:

404 Not Found

The server can not find the requested page:
    74.86.118.25/~*******/public_html/affiliate.html (port 80)
    Please forward this error screen to 74.86.118.25's WebMaster.
    Apache/2.2.10 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.10 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at 74.86.118.25 Port 80

Where as the * are my username, I then double checked my bluevoda page republished again and still same error page. Any suggestions? -DM

*Thank you for noticing the ftp part also Vasili

Whithout actually seeing the link i can't say anyhing more, sorry
    Navaldesign

I just had to take out the words REFRESH in what you posted before this because my page was refreshing every second! LOL

-DM

The correct URL is

http://74.86.118.25/~kxjmnwvl/affiliate.html

However, if it can't be found, there must be some typing mistake or the file does not exist OR its permissions are set to something else than the correct 644
    Navaldesign

Well, I was able to use the instructions to forward my domain, but it is not masking.

my domain is http://www.discoveryourprosperity.com. I am forwarding to http://www.ezleadcapture.com/member/deang2.htm. The forwarding feature is working, as you'll see. The masking is not.

My META TAG looks like this: <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.ezleadcapture.com/member/deang2.htm">

Can anyone see if there is a mistake in my set up, or have other suggestions? Thanks. Dean.

Its not supposed to HIDE it. You dont want to do that anyway... hide it that is.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

If someone simply wants to redirect, that can be done in CPanel, under Domains, then Redirects.

Thats if you want to redirect the WHOLE domain..

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

This is why I LOVE VodaHost and this forum. I did it with my http://ourjourneytolife.com/**.html page and it redirected straight to my affiliate link. Question is, in order for the SEOs spider to notice and catapult me high, if I were to METATAGS in the PAGE PROPERTIES KEYWORDS that are in the redirected page itself, will it pick up my 02.html pg? Thanks you guys are fabulous!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VodaHost View Post
    Sometimes we want to redirect or cloak a url, the below code is very useful for these purposes.

4) Change the abc.com to your desired destination url
    5) Name, Save and Publish

Your Done!

I created a page called sunflower, you can call it whatever you like.When I uploaded sunflower to my public_html folder the end result was the below url.

www.vodahost.com/sunflower.html

Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
    Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

I have followed the instructions & it forwards my page properly, but it does not mask it.

The page to be forwarded is http://www.ovariancystshealed.info/ocnm.html and the destination url is http://valden.ovarian.hop.clickbank.net/

I assumed that when forwarded, the browser would still show http://www.ovariancystshealed.info/ocnm.html rather than the affiliate link. Why is it not masked?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Voda,
    I currently use Wordpress and my html screen does not look like what you are showing. How would I determine where to make the necessary change? This is what the top of my html page looks like.

Upload/Insert

Thanks Sherri

This tip is for using blue voda. You cannot change this in wordpress in this manner. You will need to edit your templates to accomplish this.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Quote Originally Posted by pemdas21 View Post
    here is an example of a custom error page:

http://www.electronics4dummies.com/lsfhlkdsfhkdvbkl bd,nvbd,jfhkdshfkjsdgfjksdgfdskbfkdfhgsdlkfhgskjdg fakjsgfkjasghfsydg
    all I get is a 404 error

Thank you very much for this info. Worked beautifully to create custom error pages.

I have a couple of redirect questions I would like assistance with please.

Question 1. Can I have an active domain with my complete control over the index/home page and other additional Blue Voda published pages but then redirect a sub domain of that domain to an affiliate website?

Question 2. If I redirect the main domain URL (therefore loosing complete control over my domain) to my affiliate website, will the search engines recognize and index my URL or will they only see the affiliate (duplicate content) site?

Examples:

I have a domain http://www.mydomain.com that has my own Blue Voda template published on it (index page).

Then I create a sub domain http://www.subdomain.mydomain.com.

Then I use the sub domain as a permanent redirect for an affiliate website such as http://www.affiliatesite.com/myaffiliatename but still have my main domain http://www.mydomain.com to do with as I please.

Does this work?
    Sue Scaletta
    Internet marketer/home business owner

http://www.videoemailchat.com
    http://www.lanechase.net
    http://www.suescaletta.com

Thread Information