Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Default Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

still working on it..what i did notice is if i change the .html to .php on the address bar in internet explorer it works...
    http://www.beebrothers.org

Success is not a doorway. It is a staircase.

Bethers is offline Major General & Forum Moderator

yes, all your links need to now say .php instead of .html - that is what you are changing to be able to use this script - your pages will all be .php instead of .html

i also assume i have to add the html box (in the place i want my menu bar) plus the

<?php
    include ("menu.php");

menu();
    ?>

code on every page, in place of the toolbar??

then php and republish??

do i change the html to php in the navigation properties box only, plus the page properties also..

Got It..i think..cool...

if i change my nav bar in the menu page and republish it, what happens if the size changes? does it that matter if the blank html box on the page is still the size of original prior to updating the menu nav bar?,

and every link to link in my site i have to change the hyperlink from html to .php to get the right site...OMG

If the html box isn't big enough - it will take up the necessary space on the page anyway -and your only problem will be if you have another element in the way.

LOL about all the hyperlinks, but yep - get them all now - but now you only have one page to worry about when you change the navigation!

Have a great weekend and holiday.

New day, new problem..

the menu bar change over went well, considering, everything is now .php EXCEPT:

how come the old .html sites are still online.
    if one types in http://www.beebrothers.org in the address bar, or clicks on the hyperlink here, they still get the old .html sites BAD

how does that fix

should the replaced html pages be deleted from the ftp then?

Yes, the other pages are still there because nothing overwrote them - you wrote brand new pages - so YES, those pages need to be deleted. Very good catch - and important for the se's - who do not like to think you are duplicating.

Done..thanks..had to use the file manager in the CP to find them all..

Hi
    I just wiped out all redundant files in my public_html folder. There were 900 or so files in there that didn't need to be.
    I used a new piece of software to generate a web gallery for www.zone5pix.com
    It creates .htm files. I put those pages into an iframe because I wanted to add some information pages (links, about, contact) and published as an html file.
    Will there be a problem trying to use this method on an htm file?
    Thanks.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

how did you delete the redundant files?

FIRST>>>>I copied everything.....THEN.....I went into my ftp and selected what needed to go and clicked on the delete button.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

i i captian!

Since I just finished my website, maybe I should change over to php. Would that be better for my situation?

scubadiver-
    Having looked at your site- I would say probably not. Reason: you don't have that many pages and changes to any or all would not take up much time/effort. This method is really useful if you have many, many pages.

Cheers-

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy128
    scubadiver-
    Having looked at your site- I would say probably not. Reason: you don't have that many pages and changes to any or all would not take up much time/effort. This method is really useful if you have many, many pages.

Cheers-

Andy
    I agree with Andy. If you have say 10 - 15 pages, having separate control over each page, is better and easy enough.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

I third what's been said. And, since your navigation changes with your various pages, you wouldn't be gaining by doing it.

Default Re-Post

Hi
    I just wiped out all redundant files in my public_html folder. There were 900 or so files in there that didn't need to be.
    I used a new piece of software to generate a web gallery for www.zone5pix.com
    It creates .htm files. I put those pages into an iframe because I wanted to add some information pages (links, about, contact) and published as an html file.
    Will there be a problem trying to use this method on an htm file?
    Thanks.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

)#(*$)@(#&@)(*
    I was so proud of myself... Naval! I followed all of your instructions on adding a menu bar in iFrames (it worked beautifully by the way) and now I see this. What is a girl to do???
    Can you please tell me what the benefits and differences are between iframe menu bar and php, in a nutshell please?
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by navaldesign
    No problem at all. Furtermore, i suggest that you use a CSS text based menu both in the home page as well as for the php menu include page. This way, all your internal links will be available to SE spiders imediately.
    Naval... I think I am just getting more confused with the more I read.

I am dumping the beautiful menu I made with the iFrame tutorial and will now be implementing the PHP single menu page.

Question: If I use the CSS menu generator that you list in this forum, can I use that as my menu and insert the code on the blank page instead of creating a menu bar before I continue on with the rest of this tutorial?
    Does that make sense? To reiterate; can I replace CSS menu language for the BV menu bar and continue to set up my menu page with PHP?
    Inquiring minds want to know!
    thanks

Dori,

the php menu has many advantages over the Iframe solution, with first in the list the fact that it is SE friendly.

More over, i suggest that the menubar is a CSS one, because it's MUCH faster (has the same speed as BV's drop down menus) whilst classic BV menubars are slow (they need to load the single button images) and more SE friendly because they are text based, so SE spiders can spot the links to the other pages.

yes, you can create the CSS menubar, then either place it directly in the page, or use the method described here. This method has the advantage that you only create ONE menubar, which is then implemented in all your pages. This way, if you have to update your menubar, you simply change the menubar page and all your pages are automatically updated.
    Navaldesign
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

You are the best Naval.... thanks! I will generate the menu bar through CSS and then install using your php guidelines!

Naval Design is a php genius!!!!!

Hi Naval, everything is great with the php pages, but one small thing I can’t seem to solve using .php pages. I use the BV’s Menu bar, but on a few pages I seem to have problems with the menu part of the link loading? Everything that is on the same link loads IE: the images & other text, but quite often have to hit the refresh button a few times to get the menu to show up. Could it be anything to do with java side of things? Or do you think it could even be the java at my end.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

No Chris,

This is something that happens even with simple BV pages, if (usually) the page has already some heavy content, and the connection timesout before the button images are loaded.

I also had this problem sometimes. I also disliked the delay in button mouseover and mouseout effects. Solution: CSS text based menu. Fast and Furious (hehe)
    Navaldesign

Hi, thanks for getting back & the info. This type of menu I will do for myself, but I will be making a site for someone & wanted to keep it very simple for them. (And me)
    But I did find a post on the way pages load on this forum & it appears that if you make the (let say) menu part that’s going into an html box, that may have an image & a bit of normal text in the same area as where the menu is going. It seems that if you place the menu on last, it will be the 1st part to load in a browser. So! if the html box with this menu is also the last to be placed on the mother page, the theory is that it will be the 1st part to load???????
    I have tried this & it appears to be right, as I haven’t had the problem since.
    Just not sure if this is technically correct or true or I have just got lucky for a short wile.

Cheers.

I have read that post also, but i (technically) disagree. Browsers read the code as it is created, and the code that BV creates places elements in the order they are created (unless you use the "bring infront" tool).
    Navaldesign

I have read that post also, but i (technically) disagree. Browsers read the code as it is created, and the code that BV creates places elements in the order they are created (unless you use the "bring infront" tool).
    Sorry! I meant to say about bringing to the front. Just on another little note: can the html boxes be made transparent (I think is the right phrase) to enable clicking on links underneath. Sometimes will end up with 4-5 html boxes & some will cover links in others.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Collectors-info
    Sorry! I meant to say about bringing to the front. Just on another little note: can the html boxes be made transparent (I think is the right phrase) to enable clicking on links underneath. Sometimes will end up with 4-5 html boxes & some will cover links in others.

Thanks.

???? I make my html boxes the same size of the element they need to insert in the page, so they don't cover anything else. Or maybe i have missread your post ?
    Navaldesign

Your html boxes should be the size of what they are doing - and if anything you're putting in them needs to be a link - you need to make it one by using the proper html - not putting it under the box.

As Naval said, no html box should be covering another one - or anything else for that matter.

Hi Beth, don’t think this is quite right. If you look at the image below, this is how I set up all my pages up. I was going to put a post up about it & how to do it. But if you could let me know why not to do it this way it could save me a bit of embarrassment. lol
    I have worked a simple way to place as many php/html elements on the page without having to line one a thing up & have them all perfect.
    Have a look at this link below & you can see what I am working on. All these pages where made this way & have at least 3 to 4 html boxes on each page.
    http://www.webbiesite.com/templates/redtemplate/

Hah! I shrunk my image to much. Oh well. You will get the idea.

Cool Template. However Chris, why don't you give the html boxes the actual size and position of the element that they are calling ?
    Navaldesign

Hi Naval,
    I think it was just a case that it all seems to be working ok, doing it this way, so i just placed them tight in the top corner.
    The way I set my pages up means that I dint have to try and get the html box in the right position & keep uploading to the server to check they are in line & matching up with the rest of the page. (This can be a pain with narrow boarder lines) So if an html box gets moved, I just push it to the top corner & I know the page will be back to normal. I will be making quite a few styles of these templates, so needed a simple way to adjust things quickly. & for others to do the same.
    I don’t think its doing any harm??? (Hope not)
    The only part I can’t sort out is the contact us drop down menu going behind the flash photo album. I think flash is going to rule & win this one.

Cheers.
    PS. The only thing I do check on, is make sure the menu is brought to the front.

Hi,

How are you all. I am a newbie and would appreciate your patience.I know this thread is a bit old, and am not sure if I am supposed to add to it or not, but I am not sure where else to post my question.

I am trying to understand the post in this thread when it comes to the BV drop down menu and the ability of the search engines to spider them. I have highlited the text below from this tread in blue:

Today i have had a very important confirmation: Google has indexed my example page, and the page in the cache is in http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:fEg83WMeBfwJ:www.navaldesign.info/Tips/phpmenu.php+site:www.navaldesign.info+navaldesign& hl=it&gl=gr&ct=clnk&cd=50

The text only version of the cache is in http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:fEg83WMeBfwJ:www.navaldesign.info/Tips/phpmenu.php+site:www.navaldesign.info+navaldesign& hl=it&lr=&strip=1

As you can see, in the text only version of the cache, Google HAS INCLUDED THE LINKS of the example menu. What does this mean ?

It means that a menubar, either made in BV (as the one i have used in my exaple) or through a text based CSS styled enu, even if included in the page from an external source (as in the example), can be spidered by SE. So, ALL of your links will be found and spidered.

So, if your menubar is text based CSS or BV's menu bar, it is perfectly ok for SE. ATTENTION: This is not valid for dropdown menus: they CANNOT be spidered. If you need to use a dropdown for functional reasons, i advise to include in your pages also a text based footer menu (like the one VH has in it's own pages, at the bottom.

Am I correct to understand that the BV drop down menue cannot be spidered by search engines period, or am I correct to understand that the drop down menue cannot be spidered by search engines only after a single menue page has been created with BV and PHP.

I want to use a dropd down menue but do not have to go the way of the single page with BV and PHP. I do not mind placing a menu on each page and updating each menu on each page when I have to do so, but I do not want to be disadvantaged in making use of a drop down menue. If that is the case I will use the BV menu bar.

Thanks for your kind help.

CSS or normal BV menubars can be spidered. Drop downs CANNOT be spidered. However, if your website is going to have 60 or 100 pages, beleive me, you will not want to update the menus in each page separately.
    Navaldesign

Hi Navaldesign,
    Thanks for your reply. Not what I wanted to hear, but at least it confirms what I thought to be the case. A pity!

I will have to s**** the BV drop down menu I put together for my website which I was quite happy with and consier the BV Menu Bar. Because if the drop down menu bar is not able to be spidered then my website will not be able to ranked by the search engines and without a reasonable ranking in effect will not be of much use to me.

Thanks again for your help.

You can hold your drop down and ad a text menu at the bottom of the page with your links. SE will spider those.
    Navaldesign

Can you use this trick if you're creating a template with a menubar? Also, if you use buttons with text on them in your menubar, can the search engines spider them?

Yes, you can.

Buttons with text: you mean the standard BV menubar ? If yes, then Yes, they are "seen" by SE. But the best would be a CSS text based menubar as you can see it here
    Navaldesign

Michelle,
    Look here - this uses a CSS menubar also -

I highly recommend this method - with or without the CSS mnubar.

If you use the BV buttons, they are readable by se's the way they are done - it isn't javascript like you're used to that isn't - that you can see here - but this isn't using the php method cuz I didn't know it yet.

Highly, highly recommend you follow this method!

Thanks guys!

Yes, they are BV buttons. I saved my template by clicking file, save as template, and naming it. But when I try to open a new page with a template, instead of the template library poping up, I get an error message that says:
    C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\BlueVoda\Templates\***template1.wwb has a bad format.

I used some shapes, a couple of images, background color, menubar, and some text at the bottom to create the template. I changed the file extension to php, and added the code as you said to do in your instructions. Have I dove something wrong?

I beleive that this would be a problem that has nothing to do with the method described. It is either a computer problem, or how you have saved the template (or what you have given in the name field when saving as template).
    Navaldesign

I was able to fix the problem, I can open new pages with my template now. I created my menubar in the template using your php instructions. So now each new page I create, I should change the file extension to php in page properties. Do I need to add the php code in step 2 to all my pages? Also do I skip step 4 using the html box on the new page since the menubar is already there via the template? I'm a little confused since I'm trying to use this trick with a template.
    Thanks.

Good for you!

Yes you need the code in all pages.
    If the html box is in the template, then you don't need to add it again.

Step 2 is the menubar creation. So, it is only done once, and you are done.

Step 4 is the menubar implementation in the page, so if you have done it in your template, no need to repeat that, as your pages already have it.
    Navaldesign

No, I didn't put the html box in the template, should I go back and add it?

Yes, this way the code for inserting the menubar in the page, will already be in the template, and, automatically, in all the pages that you will create with this template.
    Navaldesign

Ok thanks, I think I'm understanding this better, just one more question, the site I'm building in BV right now is not published yet. I'm actually in the process of moving my current domain name and site that is published on the internet from storesonline to vodahost. I'm trying to have as little downtime with my site as possible, so I want to have it pretty much completely finished before I publish with BV. My question is, should I be able to see the menubar on my pages in preview mode? Because right now when I look at them in preview mode, I don't see anything where the menubar should be.

No, you can't see the menu in preview. It uses php, so it will only show when BOTH the page and the MENU page are published on the server.
    Navaldesign

Talking Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Hi... Is it possible call up and entire page.html utizing this type of php ... Thanks Doug

Doug your page can be either .html or .php - not both. So, to do this, you'd build the website as .php instead. It wouldn't effect hot you built the page - if that's what is confusing you.

Okay you PHP Experts . . . I decided to go ahead and try to make a PHP menu, and I think I almost got it! I set up menu on brand new page just the way you said. I'm not using just text, I've got "buttons". After putting in all the links and alt text, I saved and published the first page. When I view it, not of my alt tags are showing up, only the .html page link as an alt tag. In order to use PHP in a menu, do I have to use "text only"?
    Sheryl Tupa
    Cust-M-Cartoons -- 10% Discount Code: "FORUM"
    Personalized Cartoons For Everyone and Personalized Music CDs for Kids
    New Baby Cartoons
    Personalized Cartoons to announce your new arrival!
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic
    Specializing in unique children & pet portraiture

Hi, not sure if i have this right? but have you published your menu page as a .php & not .html?

Cool Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Hi.. Hey Naval.. I publish menu.php...place the html callup box on my index page... publish index.php.... then go to see mysite.com...and I see a blank white ... right click... blank white... I know I'm close ... but what am I missing?? ...all that's on this site are.. images..index.php..menu.php... and jscookmenu.js... Thanks Doug

Yes Chris, I did publish as PHP. When I set up my navigation "menu" on it's separate page, I put in "alt tags" for my buttons. I then published both menu page and index page in PHP. When I put the mouse over the buttons, all I see is a tag for the html page, not what I typed for copy.

Example: I put in tag saying "Cartoon Designs", but mouseover shows cartoondesigns.html

I thought "alt tags" might not show up if I'm using buttons for menu.
    Sheryl Tupa
    New Baby Cartoons
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic

Sheryl, the buttons are images and alt does show up - which is a good thing and is correct. However, if you have done the naviagion as php - you best not have an alt tag showing .html - cuz all your pages now need to be .php.

If you want to send me the page, I'll look at it and diagnose it.

Okay Beth . . . here I go needing help again. Sooner or later (sooner I hope) I'll get this the right way.

Here is the index page: http://cust-m-cartoons.custmcartoons.com

On my "menu.php" page, when I view the Navigation Bar properties, they all the page links show .php on the end. Can't figure out why it doesn't show up after I publish.

Here's the link for the menu page: http://cust-m-cartoons.custmcartoons.com/menu.php

As always, I am grateful for your help.
    Sheryl Tupa
    New Baby Cartoons
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic

Just thought of something (that's pretty scary). Do I have to go into my control panel and delete all the previous .html pages?

If I type a page with .php extension in my address bar it comes up and the menu bar has all .php tags!
    Sheryl Tupa
    New Baby Cartoons
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic

No, but you need to delete at LEAST the index page, otherwise the html page instead of the php will show up.

As for the rest of your pages, you can delete them or not, however, leaving them there will only confuse you further.

Please also note that noone can see your menu page (it will simply show a blank page) because the way it is built, it is a php function, that will only display when you call it from within your pages.
    Navaldesign

Thanks so much. Learning PHP is new to me, but I think once I get the hang of it, it will be great!
    Sheryl Tupa
    New Baby Cartoons
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic

I'm nervous here about something - you are making all your links, etc with the name as it is now - you do realize you'll have to change all of them when you're ready to move?

You aren't doing this the way I thought and I just saw now how you have them named.

Yikes Beth! What should I be doing? How should I be making the links? I thought the only way I could publish and test was to use the custmcartoons.com with the add-on. I'll stop what I'm doing until I hear what to do.
    Sheryl Tupa
    New Baby Cartoons
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic

There is a very simple way to avoid the links problem: make the links relative:

Instead of typing, for a link, i.e. http://cust-m-cartoons.custmcartoons...oondesigns.php make it simply "cartoondesigns.php" and you are done.
    Navaldesign

Thanks Naval. I'm sure I'll hear back from Beth too. My building was going so well too . . . Now I'm back to being confused about how in the heck I can rebuild a site, and then change nameservers at GoDaddy and have my customers be able to see my original domain www.cust-m-cartoons.com (with hyphens). Where exactly should I be publishing all my files?
    Sheryl Tupa
    New Baby Cartoons
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic

Sheryl - do as Naval says - as it is now, you are putting in the full path - which is NOT the path it will be when you change to the other site. So, you'd have to go in and change them all. Of course, all links in navigation wouldn't be so hard because of the method you're using (which is one of the reasons I wanted you to use this method) - but if you're doing any links on pages, those will have to be corrected when you publish.

When I did what you are - I did a few to test that what I was doing worked, but then did all my links as I'd want them when I changed over - therefore, they wouldn't all work now - but would when it was changed.

Hope I'm not confusing you - but I don't want you doing double work.

I never thought of what Naval just said - but if you do as he says, then I don't think you'll have any changing later - and they'll work both ways.

Naval - chime and and tell me if this is right?

but if you're doing any links on pages, those will have to be corrected when you publish.

Use relative links even there, so nothing to edit after. This is the method i use when creating scripts for my clients: i have to make them site independent, or they will not work when i upload them on their site.

Of course, there are other ways too to acheive the same result with php, yethaving the links absolute, but with a variable first part. But this requires some coding, and i don't think this is the case here.
    Navaldesign

Quote Originally Posted by Bethers
    Sheryl - do as Naval says - as it is now, you are putting in the full path - which is NOT the path it will be when you change to the other site. So, you'd have to go in and change them all. Of course, all links in navigation wouldn't be so hard because of the method you're using (which is one of the reasons I wanted you to use this method) - but if you're doing any links on pages, those will have to be corrected when you publish.

When I did what you are - I did a few to test that what I was doing worked, but then did all my links as I'd want them when I changed over - therefore, they wouldn't all work now - but would when it was changed.

Hope I'm not confusing you - but I don't want you doing double work.

I never thought of what Naval just said - but if you do as he says, then I don't think you'll have any changing later - and they'll work both ways.

Naval - chime and and tell me if this is right?
    Beth, making relative links will work on ANY site, as long as you follow the same folder structure ( if you have any folder structure, which, most users, don't)
    Navaldesign

Naval,
    I thought so - however, on my old server - relative links quit working - but we won't go there - there is a reason lots of us are here :) And more, like Sheryl, keep joining us.

Okay. I get the "relative" links idea, and will start changing those tonight. The other question I had was, am I saving to the right folder. I created a second folder in BV called Cust-M-Cartoons, so when I publish it is going to public_html/cust-m-cartoons. Is this still correct?
    Sheryl Tupa
    New Baby Cartoons
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic

Yes this is correct.
    Navaldesign

Woo-hoo! I got something right! I know I'll need some assistance when it comes time to switch over to my other domain.

I have one other "little site" that I've added on, that's still at GoDaddy, so after I get my "final" instructions, I'll test it on that one first! Thanks for all your help. Moving to VH and using BV was the smartest thing I've every done.
    Sheryl Tupa
    New Baby Cartoons
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic

Exclamation Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Hi Naval,

I have encountered a strange phenomenon; the menu looks perfect initially (see file1, 1st button "Forums"), but when I rolled my mouse over it..the button shows another button description..(see file2, 1st button is no longer "Forums" but reflects "About us").

Any recommends?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file1.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	567

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	568
    Cheers,
    Eric PSF

PapaEric.com
    A Father's Parenting Diary & More...

This has nothing to do with the php method, it is a problem with your menu page. My guess is that you have used the same menu in some other page, and you have edited it, so the images created by BV were altered to reflect the changes that you did.

Use this simple trick:

Open the page that you created for the menubar (the php one).
    Select the menubar, and copy it. Delete it.
    Paste it back to the page, using the Paste icon on the toolbar (NOT the right click paste, nor the Edit / Paste).

This will place the menubar back in the page, in the excact same position where it was.

Save and publish your menu page.

This should be enough.
    Navaldesign

Hi Naval,

Thanks for the fast reply!
    Cheers,
    Eric PSF

PapaEric.com
    A Father's Parenting Diary & More...

thanks, Naval. I am finally getting to use this and I can honestly say that because of this function, my web designs will never be the same. Remember I told you that whenever I publish the navigation alternate text tend to disappear? Well, this solves it! Thanks a bunch.

This tip is exactly what I was looking for, have not witnessed it work however.

1) created menu.php with my menu bar in it positioned in the topmost left corner.
    2) changed it to publish as a php file and see the php file in my publi_html folder.
    3) added the code snippets to the start of page and end of page and published successfully.
    4) placed an html box on my index.html leaving my index in html format.
    5) double clicked on the html box and place the call to the menu function in it making sure to copy/paste all code snippets.
    6) published my index.html again.
    When I go to my page the menu bar does not appear, is their anything in IE that does not allow php to show or an error log somewhere to show why it does not show up?

*******was able to see this work after making all pages PHP and refreshing the IE instead of pulling from cache*******
    Thank You

H. Michael Everett

Ofcourse, since both pages make use of php, they have to be published as php
    Navaldesign

glad it worked for you too, Michael

WOW.... What an awesome thread

This is a great thread you have navaldesign. Awesome tips in here. I saw this last night and decided to change all my pages and menu to php.

Thank you

I've had my site for about a year now. I changed the menu to I-frames after 3-4 months of having it when I ran across your thread on I-frames and Menu. Now I found this....lol

Hey Bethers

Would this change affect things as far as SE's go. I always wondered about the I-frame, as you mentioned before it's not SE friendly and I also read this somewhere else. Also when I changed to I-frames the ROR utility didn't seem to pick up my links.

I have to read some more about CSS, but my menu is in text on 90% of the pages.

Any Thoughts on whether this was a good move or a bad one?

Thnx

Mike

Hi navaldesign

I got all the pages as php. If someone accesses the site by typing http://www.atexflooring.ca and then follows the links. Everything is fine and you see all the pages as .php

If someone accesses the site via SE and gets anything else besides the home page it goes into the html page and from there all the links are the older html ones. example http://www.atexflooring.ca/promotions.html <---anything followed from here is the html pages for the exception of home page which than goes into the php.

I don't see all the html pages in my blueftp to delete and also I deleted the menu that I was using for I-Frame. I'm not even sure how the html pages are still displaying my menu....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thnx

Mike

Matrixx, since you have iframes, the internal pages probably aren't getting the rank you want. So doing this might be the way to go. You could always do individual redirects on all the pages to the new ones - if you believe the internal pages are getting much traffic. Your home page won't be effected, as it is found via url url without html or php.

Blue ftp doesn't show all pages - go into your control panel to delete out ALL http pages.

Smile Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Matrixx, since you have iframes, the internal pages probably aren't getting the rank you want. So doing this might be the way to go. You could always do individual redirects on all the pages to the new ones - if you believe the internal pages are getting much traffic. Your home page won't be effected, as it is found via url url without html or php.

Blue ftp doesn't show all pages - go into your control panel to delete out ALL http pages.

Hi Beth

Thnx for the reply. Redirects seem to do the trick

Mike

Naval Design,

I am just building my site in BV now so what a perfect time to do this. I followed your steps and made the menu bar, made it into html, saved it as php etc. The trouble I am now having is trying to insert into my next page.

I measured out the menu bar, made it a html box and pasted in the code that you said to do it. As my site is not yet live, I can't publish it but I tried previewing it and all that comes up is a blank space. I even tried pasting in the code in the page html at the beginning and the end, and that did not solve it. Any idea of what I am doing wrong here?

I know once I get it done once I will more than likely be able to do it for every page and my header, my footer and everything.

Thank you for your help.
    My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!

Chris,
    You won't be able to see this in preview- only after you go live.

If you want to test how it works, make a page using it on your other site - so that you know it's working right.

Beth,

That is what I did before I left for work. I pulled up my index page for ccwenterprises, and put in an html box at the bottom. I published it and left for work. Now I have checked it here at work and there is no menu bar at the bottom.

Guess it is just growing pains of building in Blue Voda... no problem, I am sure it will get done!

Chris
    My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!

Chris, did you build the other pages for CCW? It won't pull a page you built for the coffee site. And did you follow each step - one at a time. You have a tendency to skip steps :)

Step by step this time... I am trying to learn.... I know if I skip steps, it will not get me done any quicker! :)

I did not build any new pages for ccw, just pasted a html box at the bottom to see if it would come up. I did publish the menu page though. I thought it would work on ccw site since it is the only site actually published on voda. Maybe I am wrong here.

If I need to make seperate pages, I can do that easily enough, just not from work here as my work won't let me download bv on to this computer which is probably a good thing since I would never go back to dealing!! *LOL*

I can try it tonight before I go to bed on my laptop I suppose! :)

The pages for each site are separte - and I hope you are keeping them in separate folders. You would need to follow the steps and have published both the page with the navigation (or whatever part you're putting on that page) and the page you are placing it on -

In BV I have a seperate folder called "CCW Enterprises" than all of my coffee pages are just in the BV folder itself. When I published the menu page I put it my bv than clicked on publish. Than I went to the index page of ccw, put in the html box with the code for the menu page and clicked on publish, but it did not work. Maybe that will give you a better idea of what I did or didn't do.

If you would like me to look, email me the two pages. If you can't do that till you get home - it might be late morning or so before I see them.

If you have published something, please provide a link to the menu page and to the page that has the html box in it, so we can have a look.
    Navaldesign

The page with the html box on it is my http://www.ccwenterprises.biz page and I guess the one with the menu on it would be http://www.ccwenterprises.biz/menu.php ?

Beth, I will email both to you when I get home at 6. I don't get up till noon anyhow so you will have lots of time to look at it!

The menu page seems ok. Since this is a function, if you visit the page you will only see a white page, and indeed it is so. But, the test page seems to have something wrong as the menu doesn't appear.
    Navaldesign

Naval,

I am home from work now, I went and used an old template from my coffee site, and used the old navigation bar from that, I put the menu bar on the left as the php html, named it test. php, and published it. I than waited a few minutes, and checked http://www.ccwenterprises.biz/test.php and guess what comes up on the left hand side, the navigation, so I know it works now! I don't know why it did not work with the original page but I should be okay now! If I need help I know I can always shout out to you guys here at the forum!

Hey Beth

Where do u find the http pages please?

When you connect with FTP to your site, you will see your site content. There should be two versions of each page, the new one, which has a .php extension, and the old one which has a .html extension. If the working version is the .php. you can delete the .html

Attention: if you had a contact form, and had named both the form page and the action script with the same name (as contact.html for the form and contact.php for the script) , then you should NOT delete the html version of your form, and you should NOT convert it to php, there would be some extra work there to do.
    Navaldesign

When you connect with FTP to your site, you will see your site content. There should be two versions of each page, the new one, which has a .php extension, and the old one which has a .html extension. If the working version is the .php. you can delete the .html

Attention: if you had a contact form, and had named both the form page and the action script with the same name (as contact.html for the form and contact.php for the script) , then you should NOT delete the html version of your form, and you should NOT convert it to php, there would be some extra work there to do.
    Hi navaldesign

That's the weird part. Most of my pages are not shown in blueftp. Few pages are shown in both html and php but the rest are a mystery.

Mike

Blue FTP is limited as to the number of files it displayes. Use File manager .
    Navaldesign

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information