Thread: redirects

Default redirects

Hi,

not all my redirects are working and this is due to the length of the page target. How can i get this to work and take me to the correct page rather than my home page?

cheers in advance
    dean023

Default Re: redirects

anyone????

Not exactly understanding your question - could you give us an example from your page - what you want it to do and what it is doing?
    Liz
    www.sebastopolparty.com
    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Quote Originally Posted by larazovich
    Not exactly understanding your question - could you give us an example from your page - what you want it to do and what it is doing?
    would like to redirect to a certain page in my soholaunch cart e.g
    http://appliance.electricalwholesale...s_and_switches

this url is too long for the redirect and doesn't work. instead of (perminant) appearing next to the page redirect it has (switches_and_sockets) and you get a page not found error.

If i shorten that to the home page
    http://appliance.electricalwholesaler.org.uk
    it works and (perminant) appears correctly

hope this makes it clearer and thanks for your kind offer to help

cheers in advance
    deano

can anyone help me with this please?

is there a limit to how long a redirect is?

???????

Dean..

Im not sure HOW you are doing the redirects, but this is an example link off your site

http://appliance.electricalwholesale...=1&cat=29&=SID

If you remove the last ?=SID

That may solve your problem as you are linking to a dynamically generated page noted by the SID(session id). That might interfere with redirection as you are referring to a PAST session instead of a current one.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Karen,

the page i tried to redirect doesn't have that i.e

http://appliance.electricalwholesale...s_and_switches

so any other ideas?

Cheers
    Deano

Deano..

How are you doing the redirect? Via htaccess, meta refresh? Script?

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mac
    Deano..

How are you doing the redirect? Via htaccess, meta refresh? Script?

Karen
    That sounds very technical! I'm doing it via the redirect option in my blue voda cpanel (i don't know how to do any other way!!)

kind regards
    Deano

You're going about this wrong - you should be linking to your pages, not redirecting; that's gonna leave you in a mess.

I'm by no means a Soho expert so I can't help much, but there are a few here who are, so I'd suggest that you consider posting in the Soho area of the forum and maybe reigning in the impatience just a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by racefan20
    You're going about this wrong - you should be linking to your pages, not redirecting; that's gonna leave you in a mess.

...........maybe reigning in the impatience just a tad.
    Before saying I'm going about this the wrong way, you need to know the circumstances - I started out with BV but have now transferred to soho so all my bv pages need to be redirected as anyone who has booked marked these pages will be able to buy stuff at the wrong prices.

impatience? why? I started this thread on 26th Feb and not been impatient at all, where i have i been impatient?

regards
    Deano

Quote Originally Posted by dean023
    Before saying I'm going about this the wrong way, you need to know the circumstances - I started out with BV but have now transferred to soho so all my bv pages need to be redirected as anyone who has booked marked these pages will be able to buy stuff at the wrong prices.

impatience? why? I started this thread on 26th Feb and not been impatient at all, where i have i been impatient?

regards
    Deano
    And you explained all of this where? You're right, I needed to know the circumstances and you didn't bother to offer those at first, did you?

But reposting in this thread with

anyone????
    and

can anyone help me with this please?

is there a limit to how long a redirect is?

???????
    is decidedly impatient and very misplaced. You posted this in 'General Support Issues' when your question isn't general at all - it's very specific.

It should have been posted in the Soho forum, where it would get more attention.

Racefan20

your being no help what so ever so please don't waste both yours or my time.If you can't help don't comment.

Its not in the soho furum because its nothing to do with soho but a BV redirect issue! There are many thread in this forum regarding redirects!
    you don't need to know why i want to redirect which why you were spared the details!

the point I have made is if the redirect length is too long it doesn't work and i asked if there is a limit to the length thats all.If you can help with this fine if not fine but keep your flaming and opinions to yourself

I bumped the thread to the top with anyone after no reply after 2 days which is not being impatient

is decidedly impatient and very misplaced. After 2 weeks!?????????

You posted this in 'General Support Issues' when your question isn't general at all - it's very specific.

General support Issues = support on all aspects including redirects

Dean

In honesty when moving a site, ive never redirected from individual pages to a new individual pages, just the domain itself. Im not sure that it would be limited to domains, however, in my opinion you are better off doing a redirect on the old pages via meta refresh and a link on the page itself to the new page in the event the meta tag doesnt do it for them. As long as you dont CLOAK or try to hide the redirection you should be fine.

Alternately if you are skilled and brave enough you can write up all the links in the htaccess and redirect them that way too, but it does require a bit more tech know how.

I think ive seen javascripted redirects as well for this type situation, but i am up to my ears in 12 to 15 year old kids for a birthday party... so forgive me if I dont go look it up for you. You can also do a search for how to do the meta refresh tags too!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

By the way.. the only redirect I would do is on the DOMAIN server, and not the cpanel at all. Depending where your domain hosting is.. you usually have two options to park it.. park, and sit, or park and forward to the new domain, that way i dont think anyone would be hitting the old pages thus.. no need for individual page redirects as the domain itself is forwarded.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Racefan20

your being no help what so ever so please don't waste both yours or my time.If you can't help don't comment.
    Oh, I can help rather easily now that you've bothered to explain what you want to do. Funny how details come in handy, ain't it?

All you have to do is empty the existing BV pages, paste a simple code into each one and republish.

I'm questioning whether or not I should explain this to you, but I'll do so since others may need help along the same lines.

Here are the steps, make sure you make a backup copy of each BV page before following through with this just as a safeguard against mistakes.

Let's assume you have a BV page called product1. You don't want your customers to see this page because it's now incorrect, but some may have it bookmarked.

What you need to do is open product1.bvp and empty it of all contents, leave it completely blank. This is done easily by clicking Edit > Select All and then right click > cut. As stated, make a copy of the page before you do this.

Now your visitors will see a blank page if published this way, which of course is no use to anyone, but at least they don't see the page you don't want them to see.

With this page open in BV, click View > Page HTML and select the Between Head Tag.

Paste the following code into this area, changing it to suit the page you want the user to eventually see.
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.yoursite.com/page_you_want_to_redirect_to">
    Publish, and anyone clicking a link to the original page will be taken to the page you want. You can send them to your Soho pages or any other page you'd like.

If you can help with this fine if not fine but keep your flaming and opinions to yourself
    LMAO I don't flame (a flame is a direct, personal attack, which certainly hasn't occurred here) and I sure don't keep my opinions to myself, it's all part of my warm and charming personality.

Karen - many thanks as always

racefan20 - many thanks for both the info and entertainment lol

LOL.. GEEEEEZE RACE! :) You are just winning friends everywhere! LOL

Thank you for posting the refresh code for the meta.. I was gonna come back when I had sanity and see if he had found it yet!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Karen - many thanks as always

racefan20 - many thanks for both the info and entertainment lol

LOL No sweat, I hope it works the way you want, it certainly seems that it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mac
    LOL.. GEEEEEZE RACE! :) You are just winning friends everywhere! LOL

Thank you for posting the refresh code for the meta.. I was gonna come back when I had sanity and see if he had found it yet!

Karen
    Anyone who knows me knows I don't lose much sleep over what others may think of me. lol But, I help when I can.

Thread Information