Thread: Changing password for forum

Default Changing password for forum

Hi,...have installed a forum to my site ,everything was running fine no problems,..I have lost the password to enter admin,.I place my user name in with my email address and it advises that the email does not match user name,..is there a way to change this to gain access?..
    please help have tried everything and have searched for others who have had this problem,..thanks in advance.

Default Re: Changing password for forum

Can you login to your forum?

Hi I can get on the forum's home page with a link from my site,..but will not accept the user and password I put in,..can this be changed cheers thanks.

Did you install through Fantastico if you did did you change the email address in the set up, if not you should use your default email address.
    also check up and lower case spelling.
    if you have no luck and this is a new install try uninstall and reinstall.
    Have you ever logged in to the forum.

hi there again YES I installed through Fantastico and I have had access into the forum and posted some topics,..just misplaced the details for login,..will try as you advise thanks again for your help .

when you installed, they should have sent you an e-mail. Do you have that e-mail? In it should be your login info, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by AmaDee
    when you installed, they should have sent you an e-mail. Do you have that e-mail? In it should be your login info, if I'm not mistaken.
    That's only if he chose the email option, lots of people miss that and wind up in a mess like we're seeing here.

Hi Racefan think you have a good point,..I never recieved a email with details after adding the forum to the site,..What is the best method to gain access uninstall/reinstall..stuck stuck stuck,..any help appreciated thanks.

Go to your cpanel click the mail icon then under Add/Remove/Manage Accounts check in the main account you may find the email in there.

Hi there again,...think its best I reinstall a new forum and remove this one,..checked the mail and no confirmed email ,..have tried since yesterday and think this will be the easiest answer..what do you think?thanks Aliens Anonymous

that will be my route, too. come back and let us know how the forum turned out.

Talking Re: Changing password for forum

problem solved with out the need to reinstall...

What I done to preform this and gain access..firstly I went back into my forum and clicked my user name,after displaying the users info ,I selected to send the user a email,this displayed the email address I first placed into my details,..I had recently about 4 weeks ago made another email account in googlemail which I was using and entering in my forum to try and gain access,..So I went into cpanel and added the email address which was being used in my forum which I first placed in there(what I had forgotten about),..
    open control panel
    click on mail
    click on add/remove/manage account
    add emails from there

recieved new password at new email address and gained instant access to the forum ,..

well now I am in the fun shall start as I want to make some changes including adding a skin...
    well hope this helps a few who are stuck like I was...Best Wishes all and thanks to the members who helped.

how do you add a skin?

Thumbs up Re: Changing password for forum

Hi AmaDee,....just come back online so will post up if I find a simple solutation as I too get stuck on tasks like this and end up waiting on replies to help me solve the problem,..just some times its a little annoying waiting on answers,.. checking your page every couple of minutes to see if anyone has replied,..well if you find a way then please do post up ,this is my second mission of the day to add the skin,..think this will be a lot easier then the forum access problem,..

I'm on...

Try searching around here http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sta...ity-forum.html or if you can't find your answer just ask.

Or if it's just the skin try reading this. http://www.angies-cyberscripts.org/f...topic.php?t=71

thanks, alien dude, it was the skin

managed to get the skin I liked downloaded unzipped it and followed Alien Dude's instructions from his site..nearly there ,but now when I click the FTP icon it displays this message,..
    "Because cuteFTP is past the evaluation period you must restart your web browser in order to restore its FTP link down loading capability as cute FTP will no longer monitor FTP links"
    do not understand this message...any body else come across this problem ,..can see the end in the instructions...aaaaaaaaaa help with this last hurdle,thanks in advance

Seems pretty simple - get yourself a free ftp manager. Coreftp should fit the bill, click here

thanks race fan managed to download the free FTP,,...but still get the same massage when trying to upload the skin,..any more suggestions thanks..

anyone any suggestions,..where is racefan when you need him,..could do with full instructions to complete this skin problem,..any help will do as I am stumped,..thanks all

You're getting an error message from CuteFTP when trying to use CoreFTP? Sorry if I'm mistaken, but that's the way it sounds.

How exactly are you going about this? You should launch CoreFTP from your desktop or it's program directory, not through your browser.

Hi Racefan,...sorry about the delayed reply,but got annoyed and give up on the skin and ftp,..I will explain what I did,...
    I downloaded a skin and unzipped it ,..it gives me a windows box with a file icon(admin)html page..I right click and press the ftp icon ...thats when the message appears....I downloaded the core ftp from your link and saved it to desk top,...after doing this I again went and right clicked the file icon to ftp the file..still cuteftp appears follewed by the message...so I have remove this from my programs hoping that the core would show up on right clicking the mouse,...it does not appear nor the cuteftp,...very lost ,..I am at the last herdle but can not press forward,..will stick at it this time,...thanks all.

I'm not sure how you're unzipping the files, so I'm going to recommend you go get UltimateZip or WinZip Both are free to download and tryout.

Now, when you download the skin zip file, which ever of the above you chose to use will open a new window giving you the option to unzip the files and save them wherever you'd like on your pc. Save them to a place you'll be able to easily find, such as a folder in My Documents or possibly even your desktop.

Double click the CoreFTP icon to open the program. Once open, you're prompted to enter details for the site. Enter the site_name.com in the first box, and the username and password fields need to be filled with the same info you use when accessing your Cpanel. Click connect and as long as you provided the above properly, you'll see a list open on the right of your screen. Those are all the files on the server. Double click public_html to open it, and you'll now see all the files and folders in that directory, including your forum's folder.

Double click the forum folder to open it and look for a folder labeled 'templates'. Double click to open it.

On the left of your screen, you'll see a list of files on your pc. Navigate to the location to which you unzipped and saved the skin file. Single click on the skin file's folder (don't open it, single clicking selects the entire thing for upload). Now, hit the blue arrow pointing toward the right side of the screen and you'll see the files begin to appear in your templates folder on the server.

Once the transfer is complete, go to your forum's admin panel, scroll down to Style Admin, choose Add and install the skin there.

Hi there again Racefan,...thanks for the help,...well done as you said in earlier post,..opened the core program entered my site details (including password)..the window on the right appears as you advise but no public_html file?...

winzipped the skin and saved on desktop,..any other advice?thanks

Anyone any ideas or any thing to suggest!!!!!!!!help needed badly

Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner
    Hi there again Racefan,...thanks for the help,...well done as you said in earlier post,..opened the core program entered my site details (including password)..the window on the right appears as you advise but no public_html file?...

winzipped the skin and saved on desktop,..any other advice?thanks

What do you see on the right side?

hey nice to see you back online,....sat about for a good while,...well here goes ,on the right hand side in the windows box there is files which are on my server I believe,..things I have downloaded in the past..but no public_HTML..........hope this helps

Do you see a set of folders over there? If so, can you please list a few of them?

Hi Racefan ,...it is only files I have downloaded in the past like motorhome leaflets/brouchers,..there is some files which are;
    1website
    advanced system optimize
    config.Msi
    documents & settings
    my documents
    my downloads
    my websites
    temp
    WINDOWS
    a few zip files...

????????????????????? can drive a man crazy,..

Does your screen look anything like this? http://daysofblunder.com/ftpscreen.jpg

Talking Re: Changing password for forum

YES,....it looks the same but without any files on the right hand side,..

You're not connected to your website. I forget, did you input your domain name, username and password? If so, at the top of your screen, click Sites > Manage Sites. Click on the one you setup and then click Connect.

I done as you advised earlier,...I put the domain password and user name which was my cpanel info,..have just done it again and in the top left corner it displayed this message;
    WinSock 2.0
    Mem -- 458,224 KB, Virt -- 2,097,024 KB
    Started on Thursday March 22, 2007 at 17:45:PM
    Connect socket #528 to , port 21...
    Can't establish connection --> :21 @ Thu Mar 22 17:46:02 2007 (0-5)
    Connect socket #1504 to , port 21...
    Can't establish connection --> :21 @ Thu Mar 22 17:48:35 2007 (0-5)
    Connect socket #11416 to , port 21...
    Can't establish connection --> :21 @ Thu Mar 22 20:49:00 2007 (0-5)

well lost now,...but will stick at it as I need to get this done,..thanks for your time and help,..

Please email me your domain name, Cpanel username and Cpanel password. racefan20n11******.com

sent..........thanks

Got it and was able to log in to the server just fine. You're missing some small detail when you try, I think. I'll reply by email with the info that should get you fixed up.

Thumbs up Re: Changing password for forum

Thanks Racefan,..look forward to your email,..at least I will be able to have it sorted now,..give up once,..so quite happy now,..Cheers .

Hi Racefan that seemed to work ,...I get files on the right hand side now and could see the public_html straight away on the right hand side,...the files on the left look the same...will follow earlier advice and see if the problem is solved,...thanks again you are a star been trying to complete this for over a week,..saved me a lot of stress...

I'll be on here for a few more minutes, so let me know if you have questions in getting the files uploaded.

hi there again,....have uploaded the files no problem,...went into the forum admin to try and install the skin,.....style admin clicked add and was shown blue bow with style template edit written on but can not click nothing happens???????is there anything I need to do after uploading the files still left the page the same after uploading...cheers

You haven't uploaded the entire style and you didn't put it in the templates folder. It has to be in there to work.

Okay, I see you have it all uploaded now, but you need to do it again, into the templates folder.

I did place it in the templates folder but will try again will you stick around it complete...PLEASE.

bcBlack? Is that the one? I can see it, and it's in the forum root rather than in the templates folder.

I actually need to step out for a bit in about ten minutes or so, but I'll be back quickly and will see this through.

Well just had a cuppa and uploaded again,...now I can istall the new skin,..installed and says successful but can not see any change on the forum after refreshing the page...

If you want it to be the default skin on the forum, go into Configuration and set it there.

Wink Re: Changing password for forum

Hi Racefan ,..it is done thanks...just need to suss out how to add a image to forum home page,...will have some fun now ,but thanks again saves me a lot of messing around would of been lost without you cheers best wishes Webdesigner.

Glad you got it working. Have a look in the "Start your own community forum" area for helpful tips and tutorials for your forum.

cheers Race will have a browse over the link you sent..

Thread Information