View Poll Results: Did you know about sitemaps before this read this posting?

Voters
11445. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

963 8.41%
  • No

10,482 91.59%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Google Sitemap

Default Re: Your Google Sitemap

I did a hyperlink from an image on my home page as blah blah blah/ror.xml.
    Is this what you mean by a link? It has been awhile since I have used the tools.

my link to the ror file would only accept "ror.xml. its embedded at the bottom of my web page on the left in the image of the waterdrop. is that okay? www.spanda.com thanks mochi

Cool Re: Your Google Sitemap

Hi i am a newbie so please forgive my lack of knowledge but what is the purpose of this? I did do it as instructed but google still isnt finding my site, is that what this ror thing is suppose to do?
    thanks
    Valerie

Cool Re: Your Google Sitemap

Quote Originally Posted by LARRYSLOMA1
    I did a hyperlink from an image on my home page as blah blah blah/ror.xml.
    Is this what you mean by a link? It has been awhile since I have used the tools.
    I did the same thing and it still doesnt work, google doesnt find my site, so do i really need this ror if it doesnt work?
    thanks
    Valerie

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightning
    I did the same thing and it still doesnt work, google doesnt find my site, so do i really need this ror if it doesnt work?
    thanks
    Valerie
    Please don't get confused about creating a sitemap and submitting to Google or Yahoo or Msn etc. Ror creates a sitemap in xml.format. This ror.xml file contains all the page links that ror has found in your site. The link to this ror file in your home page, helps spiders to lokate the ror.xml file, and from there, all your pages.
    This means that ror.xml is useful at the point that a Search engine visits your site. IT DOES NOT SUBMIT YOUR SITE TO GOOGLE, YAHOO etc. To submit your site to search engines, so they can find it, you can
    1. Eenter google (or yahoo or other)SE site, find the "Submit a Site" page, and manually submit
    2. Buy a commercial sitemaper, which after creating the sitemap, upload it on your server and also submits the info to Google, Yahoo etc.
    3. Have Vodahost make for you the One time free submission to search engines. You must submit a support ticket for this.
    4. Subscribe to a SE optimisation and Submission service, like http://www.vodahits.com/ that will help you optimise your site and will submit frequently to search engines.

Please note that it make even take 6 - 8 weeks before Google indexes a site, even a submitted one, IF it does. Not All sites get indexed.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Quote Originally Posted by spandamed
    my link to the ror file would only accept "ror.xml. its embedded at the bottom of my web page on the left in the image of the waterdrop. is that okay? www.spanda.com thanks mochi
    yes, that's ok
    Navaldesign
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Thanks Navaldesign, i went with option 3 because i was confused...hehe

tenhats Guest

Talking Re:I think I have got it done correctly can you check?

Hi Brad, Iam half blind by now, But I think ..I have the site map done correctly but not sure.
    I went by the instruction the mapper box gives as to placing the button on home page (placed it in html box) and I "think" I have the file uploaded correctly. So at bottom of my home page http://www.displaycasej.com
    there is the ror link that the mapper instructions tell you to place.
    if you have a minute please take a look and tell me if thats it or if I need to link it to the actual url http://www.displaycasej.com/ror.xml
    or if its all wrong.
    Thanks!
    John Marx
    J-Display Case

Hi, I need some help hyperlinking my ROR Sitemap to my index page. I used the ROR Sitemap Generator downloaded from bluevoda, created an ROR file and saved it to my desktop. I then uploaded the ror file to my public_html file throught the ftp manager. My question is now that it is uploaded into my public folder how do I go about hyperlinking it to my homepage? I am new to creating web pages so if someone could give me step by step instructions it would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to create a whole new page for the ror file and then link it or what? I am lost. I opened up my homepage in the website builder to try to link it, but the hyperlink button on the toolbar is not lit up (I don't have the option to click on it) when I open the page I have built. So I don't know how to place a hyperlink in my existing page without the button being active to do so. Thanks in advance for your help.

Question Easy Way to Get ROR

Hi
    I spent all day yesterday pursuing the same ROR path as other forum users before me. First I downloaded ROR, then I had to download a massive .NET file which didn't exactly correspond to the file name that the ROR program wanted, then I had to download a windows service pack. And at the end of the day it didn't work, so I googled "ROR sitemap generator" and came up with the following URL www.rorweb.com/rormap.htm

At that site, I entered my URL and within a few seconds it had scanned my site and came back with a ROR.XML file. The instructions stated to upload it to my top directory, which having read this forum, I can do with Blueftp.

There was also a second line of code which they instructed to copy into the <HEAD> of my index page. Presumably this code tells web crawlers to jump to the ROR.XML file.

I couldn't figure out how to access the source code with the BV website builder, so I submitted a ticket about "How to access source code" and this morning the Help desk referred me here where I found some answers.

I assume that there never will be a way to access the BV encoding of the webpages, and hence you suggest that we put a discrete link from our homepage to the ROR.XML file in our top directory.

BUT, could one, as an alternative insert this code, into the <HEAD> by putting it in under author's name in the index page properties?

David (Paraiso)

The page code is accessible for ADDING code. Just rig***lick somewhere in a blank space of your page, select Page Html, and, for this case,
    click on Between Head TAg, and paste the code there.
    Navaldesign

Hi Brad
    What does this site map normally contain ??
    I have about 15 pages with various internal and external links
    but they are not listed in the ror.xml file...or have I got this wrong?

The problem is usually that ROR can't follow links in the menubar (as also most of the existing sitemapers). The solution is to create a sitemap page (have a look at www.navaldesign.info/sitemap.html ) and put a link to this page in your index page. This way both ROR and the SE will be able to trace all of your pages.
    Navaldesign

Hi naval
    Thanks for the quick reply....
    Are you saying that I have to create a site map, listing Every link in my site,
    to enable a site mapper to work ??
    Or should I just list the pages(page names?)

You have to create a page listing all the URL's. If, at the same time you want it to be also a visible and useful to visitors sitemap, you can do it as i did, listed the pages names, and linked every name to the relevant URL.

There are some sitemapers (usuallly paid a smal price for) that will even create a dynamic or static tree structure of your site for presentation reasons (they create a html page with the tree structure) and you can edit the tree, adding pages missing, deleting the ones that you don't want to be there, adding or modifying the page description and name and so on. They then create the xml file, and they even submit it at least to Google.

I prefered this kind of sitemap, as i want to add two more columns, in English and in French.
    Navaldesign

Quote Originally Posted by kassi59
    Hey Brad - I downloaded the program and when I tried to install it that was the message I recieved. The message I get is:
    This network requires the .NET Framework version 1.1.4322. Please install the .NET Framework and run this set up again.
    I looked on my program list and I have the 1.1.3 version but Im guessing I need an upgrade on it. Ill try your link - Thank you so much!
    kate
    HI Kate,

did you hhave any luck with this? I have the same problem as yourself!

cheers

dave

This is a windows quirk , it needs ,net installed, most computers have it
    pre-installed, some dont.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Thanks for the reply,

given that quirk, is there an alternative to ror or should I sort out windows?

thanks

dave

Question Re: Your Google Sitemap

Hi,

I have just clicked on the link for ROR to donload, and it says i needed the net programme, I have downloaded this but when i have tried to ope ror it still says i need t net programme, I have tried this about 4 times now.

Does anybody know what i am doing wrong?

Thanks
    Sara

perhaps this excerpt from a prior post might do the trick

Hi
    I spent all day yesterday pursuing the same ROR path as other forum users before me. First I downloaded ROR, then I had to download a massive .NET file which didn't exactly correspond to the file name that the ROR program wanted, then I had to download a windows service pack. And at the end of the day it didn't work, so I googled "ROR sitemap generator" and came up with the following URL www.rorweb.com/rormap.htm

At that site, I entered my URL and within a few seconds it had scanned my site and came back with a ROR.XML file. The instructions stated to upload it to my top directory, which having read this forum, I can do with Blueftp.

There was also a second line of code which they instructed to copy into the <HEAD> of my index page. Presumably this code tells web crawlers to jump to the ROR.XML file.

ROR, will not work on all boxes, You need to have .net installed, about
    95% of all Windows XP boxes have this.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Im having a little problem, I downloaded the sitemap genarator, created a sitemap. Installed the site map to my site. I then created a link on my homepage in the bottom right hand corner www.eatingnorfolk.com/ror.xml

When I click on it to test to see if its working ... it doesn't work!

Please Help!

www.eatingnorfolk.com

Hi,

well done for finding that info davidundalicia, this was driving me a bit round the bend!

when you say "upload it to my top directory, which having read this forum, I can do with Blueftp."

could you elabortae or point me to the tutorial, soory have not dealt with ftp yet, will be good learning! I hope!!

cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ash.whitehair
    Im having a little problem, I downloaded the sitemap genarator, created a sitemap. Installed the site map to my site. I then created a link on my homepage in the bottom right hand corner www.eatingnorfolk.com/ror.xml

When I click on it to test to see if its working ... it doesn't work!

Please Help!

www.eatingnorfolk.com
    Use BlueFTP to verify that the ror.xml file has indeed been uploaded on your public_html folder
    Navaldesign

Hi thanks for that, I double checked where I put the file and it was in the wrong place.
    If someone could still try it out for me that would be great!
    Once again thanks,
    A.Whitehair

Hi ash.whitehair,
    Went to your site and found your ror link and it seems to
    be working OK.......
    btw: very nice site you have there.....

David marshall,
    Naval has given you the clue above.
    Just go into BV FTP and upload your ror.xml file to your public dir.....
    You can find a tutorial at: http://www.vodahost.com/tut_bluevoda.htm

thanks david,

here we go

Dave

Hi
    I used the ROR site map tool and uploaded the .xml file into the public html file, I then made an image and Hyperlinked to it. Then I added the ROR button and it seemed to do the same job, so I deleted the image. Am I mistaken? please advise. my URL is www.madmermaids.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadMermaid
    Hi
    I used the ROR site map tool and uploaded the .xml file into the public html file, I then made an image and Hyperlinked to it. Then I added the ROR button and it seemed to do the same job, so I deleted the image. Am I mistaken? please advise. my URL is www.madmermaids.com
    It works fine, so I don't think you need worry. :o)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Thanks Amanda but site works fine or ror feed works fine?
    John

ror link works fine
    Navaldesign

got a problem. I uploaded my sitemap the other day and everything works fine. I decided to do some research on other people sitemaps, when I looked at other peoples sitemaps they were alot bigger than mine. So I went back on ROR and did a sitemap again, and what do you know it produced a bigger and better sitemap than my previous one......So I went into my FTP manager and deleted the old ror.xml file and replaced it with the new one. I then uploaded my website. When I try out the discreet link at the bottom of my site the old sitmap appears!!!??? Why is this? Anyone knows?
    Ash Whitehair

Thumbs up Re: Your Google Sitemap

Quote Originally Posted by ash.whitehair
    got a problem. I uploaded my sitemap the other day and everything works fine. I decided to do some research on other people sitemaps, when I looked at other peoples sitemaps they were alot bigger than mine. So I went back on ROR and did a sitemap again, and what do you know it produced a bigger and better sitemap than my previous one......So I went into my FTP manager and deleted the old ror.xml file and replaced it with the new one. I then uploaded my website. When I try out the discreet link at the bottom of my site the old sitmap appears!!!??? Why is this? Anyone knows?
    Probably due to your browser caching. Hit F5 a few times or hold down shift while you refresh your page.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Tried that girl on the hill but its still not working.
    Ash Whitehair

found your sitemap and it only contains a link to your iomepage. So i can only assume that you have accidentally uploaded again the old file. Make sure that the new file has not been saved in your computer with another name (f.e. "ror.xlm (1) ") , find the correct file and upload it again. You don't need to delete the old file form your site: re-uploading (with FTP) will overwrite it
    Last edited by navaldesign; 05-10-2006 at 11:25 AM.
    Navaldesign

ok, now ive noticed another problem. I changed some things on my homepage this morning. I just went to view my homepage - just to check it all looks ok. And nothing has changed, its just displaying all the old content. I thought I had this problem the other day but I thought it was just me.
    Perhaps this is why my new sitemap isn't showing?
    Anyone know whats going on?
    Please help...
    Ash Whitehair

Just press F5 sometimes. It's your browser cacheing
    Navaldesign

Ive tried that and it still doesn't work. What I have noticed is that when I publish my 'home page' nothing changes when I view it...all my other pages are fine.
    Ash Whitehair

Are you saving your page with the correct name ?
    Navaldesign

Hi,

I have just downloaded the ror site map and uploaded it to the public folder, created a hyperlink in the home page, the problem now is how can i find out if it has worked?

Thanks

Sara
    www.anxietynomore.co.uk
    The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
    Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
    Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Dis you download the ror.xml file that you created for your site, or did you download the program?
    Either way, you create the sitemap file (this can be done directly on their site or running the software from your desktop) and then upload the ror.xml file that is created on your public_html folder. After that you must create a text link or image link fron your index page to the ror.xml file, for crawlers to be able to spot it.
    To make sure it's there, click on that link to see if it comes up.
    Navaldesign

Hi

I didn't download it, I found the program on rorweb.com.

I put our address in and clicked generate map it has come up with alot of html which they say copy and paste into a word document, i have done that now it says upload the file into the top (or root) folder of your website but which part is that?

Thanks

Sara
    www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

No, you must copy the generated code, and paste it in Notepad. Then go to Save as, Choose file type "All files" and save it as "ror.xml". Upload the "ror.xml" file in your public_html directory. Then, create a link from your index page to the ror.xml file.
    Navaldesign

The code is correct. Just follow my instructions: copy it, paste it in notepad etc.
    Navaldesign

There is no next. If you have uploaded the file, and created the link from your index page to the ror.xml file, you are done.
    Navaldesign

Hi

I made a link from the index page and put in a hyperlink but when i clicked on it all i got was the html code come up??

Is that how it is supposed to look?

Sara
    www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Yes. It's for the search engines to find it. It describes your site.
    Navaldesign

am trying to get my site map up and running when i tried to download file a message appeared that said...
    it does not look like your system is configuered to properly view this file,you can continue,but the file you are trying to view may look wrong.

any suggestions??

i tried opening but now it tells me this installation package could not be opened. contact the app vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package.

what do i have to do.....

hi guys could you help out please.....

I have finally figured out how to download the site generator (was having problems but got another version) and i have my rorfile on my desktop i have already created a hyperlink called http://www.biz-giant.com/ror.xml its on the first page or index page.
    I have been watching the vidio but when i went to the ftp control room i have all kinds jpg and other images seperate in the right hand side(should i create a folder and put all images inside it?).
    i did like the vidio said and got connected and double clicked on the new folder i created called sitemap but it wont show me how or were to get to my desktop so i can upload the file. what am i doing wrong here?

thank you
    malcolm1

On the left side of your monitor you should be able to see your computer's content. Browse to find your ror.xml file, and simplu drag it in your public_html folder. You should NOT put it in any other folder, at least not if the link is like you wrote above (as it is, it requires the ror.xml to be in the public_html directory).

DO NOT move images in another folder. They need to be in the same folder as your pages files, otherwise they won't come up.
    Navaldesign

thx... naveldesign

I minimized the screen and dropped and draged it into the folder i had named sitemap. i think its working now because when i hit the little ror icon or the sitemap link which is located at the bottom of page it shows all the links were it showed nothing before. so if you get a minute could you see if its correct.
    also if i change content on any of my pages do i have to do this all over again or is update itself?

please see if its been done correctly

thank you
    malcolm1

http://www.biz-giant.com

oppps almost forgot to ask ....do i have to put this link on all pages?

Your link works ok, but it is NOT in any other folder(called sitemap). It is in your public_html directory, as it should be.
    Navaldesign

I can also see that you have TWO ror.xml files in your site, one in your public_html folder, and one in a subfolder called "sitemap". Didn't look to see if they are identical, but the link in your main page leads to the one that is uploaded in your public_html.

The ror file should not be changed when you edit your pages. It should be updated when you ADD or DELETE pages.
    Last edited by navaldesign; 06-06-2006 at 08:33 AM.
    Navaldesign

Thanks for the tip!! Does the link need to be visible? I.E. could it be in white so it isn't part of the layout?
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Yes, you can make it invisible. The important think is that it exists in your index page (which means that it also exists in your page html code) so crawlers can find it
    Last edited by navaldesign; 06-06-2006 at 09:46 AM.
    Navaldesign

Thank you.........
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

June 7, 2006

Dear Brad:

I have had my website up and running for 2 months, however, it will not come up in search engines. I was reading through the search engine forum and came across your advice about creating a site map. After I clicked on FTP manager and tried to connect to server, I got a message that said never allow FTP connection and I accidentally clicked YES when I should have clicked NO. Now it won't let me on. I cannot believe I did such a thing. Can you help me? Kathy

Brad~

Thanks for this post. It took me awhile to get to it but your directions were great and it was really easy to take care of. Thank you thank you

Quote Originally Posted by navaldesign
    The problem is usually that ROR can't follow links in the menubar (as also most of the existing sitemapers). The solution is to create a sitemap page (have a look at www.navaldesign.info/sitemap.html ) and put a link to this page in your index page. This way both ROR and the SE will be able to trace all of your pages.
    Hi Naval,

Does it mean you did not use any site map generator software, instead you have manually created the site map page (www.navaldesign.info/sitemap.html)? I have used ror to generate a sitemap but it only shows my index. All the other html pages are not captured, probably like you say "The problem is usually that ROR can't follow links in the menubar (as also most of the existing sitemapers)". I have all the other html pages in my index page linked using menu bar.

So what is the difference between using a sitemapper and manually creating one? I mean in terms of SEO purposes.

Regards
    YM

Hey!

When I use the ROR program and type in my URL it only shows my home page URL. Since my index page is a page that lets you choose what language you want to proceed with...
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

I used another sitemapper. Anyway, i first created the manual sitemap, as a guide to the visitors, then had the sitemapper explore my sitemap page to "discover" all pages, edited it, and then it automatically created the xml file that is necessary for SE.
    Navaldesign

Thnak you so much for getting me this far! Have tried the ROR and Net before and got nowhere.

Now, I have downloaded the ROR and Net 1.0 but it said I needed 1.4...didn´t have that one from Brad´s link so I downloaded the 1.0 and it opened the ROR but it isn´t the same form shown above it has two fields to fill out
    1. Input text file and 2. Output ROR feed.
    I do not know what to do, please help
    Yucatanchas
    Playa del Carmen
    Quintana Roo, México 77710

http://www.envirocurricula.com
    http://www.yucatanchas.envirocurricu...catanchas.html

Thanks Naval,

I did the same, manually created a sitemap page then use ROR to generate a sitemap from the sitemap page I created. However, ROR still shows only my index page.

Any suggestions?

Create a temporary text link from your homepage to your sitemap page. You can delete it after running ROR . The text link will help ROR find your sitemap page and consequently all the other links.
    Navaldesign

Hi Jeremy,

That's very puzzling isn't it. I'm looking for an answer to the problem too. :)

Thanks very much Naval.

Can't wait to try it in the morning. :)

You have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Shaw
    Thnak you so much for getting me this far! Have tried the ROR and Net before and got nowhere.

Now, I have downloaded the ROR and Net 1.0 but it said I needed 1.4...didn´t have that one from Brad´s link so I downloaded the 1.0 and it opened the ROR but it isn´t the same form shown above it has two fields to fill out
    1. Input text file and 2. Output ROR feed.
    I do not know what to do, please help
    The easiest way is to run ROR directly on their site. Click on http://www.rorweb.com/rormap.htm

enter your site URL and click on "Generate Sitemap". Then copy the generated file on your computer, and from it to your site, as ror.xml
    Navaldesign

Quote Originally Posted by yangman
    Hi Jeremy,

That's very puzzling isn't it. I'm looking for an answer to the problem too. :)
    You can also run ROR directly on your sitemap page, so it will find all the links. Just make sure that your manual sitemap links are correct. You can do that through BV, using the Link Verifier
    Navaldesign

Thanks Naval... I have followed your insturctions, but when I get to adding the line of code to the <head> on my index page, I am lost again.
    Where&#180;s my head? Thought it stayed with me at all times. but seems to be somewhere unknown.

Then there is the problem of how do I upload to my root directory?

Am I dumb or what????
    Yucatanchas
    Playa del Carmen

Hola again,
    I found the page html by right clicking the page and I copied it into the between the head. Is that right?
    Thanks so much...
    Still don&#180;t know how to upload to root directory.
    Yucatanchas
    Playa del Carmen

Smile Re: Your Google Sitemap

Create a temporary text link from your homepage to your sitemap page. You can delete it after running ROR . The text link will help ROR find your sitemap page and consequently all the other links.
    Yo Naval,

Everything is in place now.

Kum Xia!!!!! (Thank You in Hokkien)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Shaw
    Thanks Naval... I have followed your insturctions, but when I get to adding the line of code to the <head> on my index page, I am lost again.
    Where´s my head? Thought it stayed with me at all times. but seems to be somewhere unknown.

Then there is the problem of how do I upload to my root directory?

Am I dumb or what????
    I'm sorry but i don't understand. What line of code you try to put in your page html ? and why ?

If you have created a sitemap page as mine, go to the ror site and run ror giving in the URL field the URL of your sitemap page. Ror will generate the necessary code (in xml). Copy the code. Open Notepad, paste the code in it, and go to Save As, select File type "All files", and save it "ror.xlm" inside your BV folder. Upload this "ror.xlm" file on your site, using BlueFTP. You're done.
    Navaldesign

Naval, Sorry to be so abtuse.
    When I click on the ROR site you have provided I add my URL to the http line and click. The program then tells me that it has found 10 URLs, I am told "when done, just copy the code above and paste it into a text editor (e.g. Notepad), save the file as ror.xml (or sitemap.xml), and upload the file into the top (or root) folder of your website (don't paste the code into your page). " I have done that.
    Next is a box with a line of code that I am to
    "Add this line in the <head> of your main page for the search engines (If you name your sitemap file sitemap.xml , be sure to also change this tag to reflect that):" I have done that as well, BUT!!!

What I thought was happening was the ROR program would generate the map for me, but if I understand you correctly from message above, I need to design a site map page and then do the RORfeedgen. Is that correct?
    Yucatanchas
    Playa del Carmen

obtuse
    Yucatanchas
    Playa del Carmen

Let me explain: ror, as other sitemappers too, CANNOT create a visual sitemap for visitor use. Others, on the other hand, can, but i don't really like the result. So I created my own manually, as it can be seen in www.navaldesign.info/sitemap.html , then i had my sitemaper create the xml file that i uploaded on my site, and i also submitted to ggogle. So, the visual part, as my page, helps the visitor find what he wants. The xml file, created by ROR or anyother sitemaper, helps the SE find all the links in your site.
    Navaldesign

Okay. I will start designing the site map and then follow your instructions!
    Thanks again, Naval.
    Yucatanchas
    Playa del Carmen

Smile Re: Your Google Sitemap

Hi from Phil in Oz

I cannot download ROR or NET due to my PC having problems with XP SP2.

I intend changing to Vista later on when it is released. I'll probably wait for version 3.0 (ha ha) V SP8 (ha ha).

Anyway, is there an easy way to create a site map in BV? I will have about 20-30 pages when complete with some second tier pages that wont be linked from the Home Page. Obviously from what I've read in the Forum it has to be Googlerisable (hey I created a new term (ha, ha)).

Thanks

Read the posts above. You can run ROR directly from their website, without downloading or installing anuthing. Then just copy the code created, save it on your computer as ror.xml , upload it on your public_html, and create a link in your home page, to the ror file.
    Navaldesign

Read the posts above. You can run ROR directly from their website, without downloading or installing anuthing. Then just copy the code created, save it on your computer as ror.xml , upload it on your public_html, and create a link in your home page, to the ror file.
    Otherwise create your own manual sitemap, and link to it from homepage. Look at : www.navaldesign.info/sitemap.html
    Navaldesign

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Just upload the complete sitemap to your public_html and create a very discreet hyperlink to it
    from your home page. Google will do the rest.

You can use BlueFTP to upload it. Click the below to learn more about BlueFTP.

http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/ftp...da_blueftp.htm
    when you say discreet link what do you mean? Also my sitemap comes up in html.

Brad means a small, image or text link that will not interfere with your page layout and content.
    Navaldesign

I downloaded this 'ror' generator a couple weeks ago and , indeed,
    already getting results on google search keywords . So, It surely
    does work. I assume that if you re-design your site and change
    links and page names and add new pages, etc. that it's probably
    a good idea to re-run the generator. Anyway, I did. Does that
    make sense?

Thanks for the help. I got it set up a couple days ago. Hopefully it will help. I have sitemapped and verified and crossed my fingers hoping to get listed in Google. Yahoo and MSN are up towards top on first page.
    Another question, and maybe it should be in another group, I read somewhere that you only need to submit once to the major search engines. I was on page three in Yahoo, I resubmitted the other day and I am now number one. Was it the sitemap or do you need to submit once in a while?

HI, I installed it, and it works.... I hope?
    how can I check it?
    I linked my belgian site to the vodahost site...

so, checking it by? : www.artrental.be/ror.xml
    or http://www.artrental.biz/ror.xml (the vodahost site)

thanks!

Greetings to All,

I have downloaded ror and uploaded my sitemap with Blue FTP.
    Downloaded XML ikon and installed on my webpage www.lexxebb.hu
    and hyperlinked it http://www.lexxebb.hu/ror.xml

When I click it online the browser comes to : Page can not be found.

Could somebody pls check what did I wrong. ( I tried to follow what Brad said word by word)

Cheers

Andras

Greetings Brad,

I have downloaded ror and uploaded my sitemap with Blue FTP.
    Downloaded XML ikon and installed on my webpage www.lexxebb.hu
    and hyperlinked it http://www.lexxebb.hu/ror.xml

When I click it online the browser comes to : Page can not be found.

Could somebody pls check what did I wrong. ( I tried to follow what You said word by word)

Cheers

Andras

Connect to your site with BlueFTP and check if the "ror.xml" file has been uploaded, or where it has been uploaded. It must be in your "public_html" folder
    Navaldesign

Connect to your site with BlueFTP and check if the "ror.xml" file has been uploaded, or where it has been uploaded. It must be in your "public_html" folder

Thanks Naval. Really appreciate your help. Somehow I got misled by Brad,
    because he was telling to create a separate sitemap folder. Thanky again. Cheers András

From where do I obtain an authenticated password to use in making a connection in blueFTP? I used the same username and password I would use for working on site files and it didn't work.

I noticed a strange DNS at the top of the input box that has a drop down list. Do I need to select our assigned DNS from the list instead of using the default that is in the window when the connect box opens.

As I finished asking this question it seems like a dumb question, but, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. So, I am asking.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHollinger
    From where do I obtain an authenticated password to use in making a connection in blueFTP? I used the same username and password I would use for working on site files and it didn't work.

I noticed a strange DNS at the top of the input box that has a drop down list. Do I need to select our assigned DNS from the list instead of using the default that is in the window when the connect box opens.

As I finished asking this question it seems like a dumb question, but, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. So, I am asking.
    Yes, you use the master username and master password sent yo you by VH. AND, ofcourse, you need to select from the dropdown, the IP address assigned to your account. If you have tried with another IP, that's why it would not accept your credentials.
    Navaldesign

I'm stumped, how do I create a hyperlink from my home page?

You say to put the ror file into the public_html folder but what if I have several domains under one account and want a sitemap for each site, where do I put the ror file please?
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

I have put the ror file into each sub folder within the public_html file as I have many sites on one account, is this correct?
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Thanks !!

Exclamation Re: Your Google Sitemap

Well crickey!!!
    Hi, after reading every post I could find, I still have a problem.
    When I do the ROR thing I find that the pages with http do not come combined with the pages named https. If I name my secure pages it finds them on the sitemap, and vice versa. Help! How do I get the thing to see all my pages. My sitemap shows all my pages and url's, so please help me to fix this. I have uploaded my sitemap and new index page. If I can't sort this out this weekend, I'm likely to spit the proverbial dummy!
    I've always been able to work things out with help from Voda folk, so I'm sure tonight's frustrations won't be any different.
    Going to have a glass of something now!
    Regards,
    Jock.
    www.lochdesignsjewellery.com

Marin

You put the site map that pertains to the site you made it for, in that folder. If you have dogs.com then you put the site map for it in the dogs folder ..etc. That way each site has its own map, if you just dump it in public html, every time u up a sitemap named sitemap.xml you will over write the one that is already there. So you could under each folder make a folder for the sitemap, but you dont have too.

Joch,

Im not sure exactly what you are asking, but as a rule you dont want the spiders in your https area, so usually they are taken out in your robots.txt file. You really dont need your check out pages indexed do you? People arent going to land on them as the first thing of your site are they? Id omit the htttps from sitemaps or crawls.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Thanks Karen,
    that makes perfect sense to me now. I know what to keep in and out of the sitemap now. I originally thought all the pages had to be there.
    Again thanks,
    Jock
    www.lochdesignsjewellery.com

Hi, first of all I just want to tell you that I am a learner on all of this before you think I am a complete idiot! I have built my site and it is on google, have done the ROR sitemap, however, (this is where you are going to think I am completely mad), how do I create a hyperlink from home page to the xml file, (so sorry, I really don't know what this means). Would you mind explaining this to me. Went on the www.vodahost.com/ror/xml thinking it was going to tell me but it didn't. I am not the smartest when it comes to this sort of thing!
    Thanks heaps,
    Willows

And be nice to me Brad, I'm an Aussie like you!!!
    : )

Create a small text ink(i.e. sitemap or ror) and then select the text
    then click on the Green world icon in the top menu
    fill in the URL line with (i.e. http://www.yourdomainname.com/ror.xml )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information