View Poll Results: Did you know about sitemaps before this read this posting?

Voters
11445. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

963 8.41%
  • No

10,482 91.59%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Google Sitemap

Default Re: Your Google Sitemap

Sorry excuse my ignorance, maybe my head is just full and can't think. I have uploaded the ROR as stated. It says to create a hyperlink from home page, I am not 100% as to where do I put this discreetly as stated to do.
    Do i just change my URL to www.domain.com to www.domain.com/ror.xml
    and thats it? I am not sure when it says discreetly? If I did this wouldn't that muck things up or not?

Me again! I just got your comment David, thank you. When you say select text, and the hyperlink, and put in domain, this means that the www.domainname.com/ror/xml will be visible on the page yeah??? I just have to make the writing really small. Am I correct in what I am saying and clear in understanding what you have said??
    Thanks heaps for responding.

Smile Re: Your Google Sitemap

Hey David, thanks heaps. It finally sunk in, thank you very much you are a gem. I really shouldn't do this late at night, or should I say early in the morning now, because I don't think the brain works as well. Its done now and I have you to thank.
    Willows

Red face Re: Your Google Sitemap

Ok, so I am about to scream. For some reason Google came back with ERROR when I tried to do sitemap. So I thought ok I did something wrong! So I deleted what I originally done and thought I shall do it all over again, but now matters are worse!! Now when I try to upload and click on zipfiles prior to going to the UP key, firstly it stays in its same position (does not disappear) unless I double click it, which ok thats fine same result. I go the left side and click on the head section before pressing the UP button and for some reason all my other files jump in and the zipfiles is nowhere in sight so now I cant even get past that part. Does anybody have a clue what I am saying and would you by any chance know what the hell it is I am doing wrong. I am so getting frustrated with myself! PLEASE HELP ME!!
    Willows (the idiot)

Thanks David, really appreciate that but my problem now is silly me deleted what I did prior and now cant upload this zip file now to go to the next step in order to do that. Appreciate you telling me this though as I would have done it that way again, thank you, you are too kind.
    Leanne

Hi, would anybody know why when trying to upload a zipfile to the left column all my word and xcel documents are dropping down when I click on the up key and the zipfile is no where in sight. I had already done this correctly once however was rejected by google with my sitemap so thought I did something wrong so deleted everything I did but when I try to do this again the above is happening..Turns out I put the ror.xml in incorrectly and that was all my problem to begin with, however now I have a different dilema. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. It worked earlier with the zipfile but for some reason every other file has decided to drop in too. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing incorrectly. Seems a common problem with me at the moment.
    Willows/Leanne

Can I also ask what is the reason for having to do this since I have already saved the ror. I cannot understand how what I have done in ror has any association with the zipfile because nothing was linked to it was it? Can I just resubmit with google by adding the ror in my hyperlink or am I talking real dumb now!!????
    Willows/Leanne (AGAIN)!!!

Hi Leanne, forget the zip for now...as you have crrectly surmised, you have
    your ror.xml in your root directory, so just go back to google and enter the full link to your ror.xml file.

good luck

It truly is not my day. Tried to resubmit and google said ' General HTTP error 404 found. We encountered an error while trying to access your sitemap. Please ensure sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit!
    Am I going crazy?
    Willows/Leanne

I finally got it through to google PENDING but unfortunately it has come back with errors! Does anybody know what is happening here or has this happened to anyone else?
    Leanne

Just for the voda staff who will soon read this and think I am not checking my information. Just want to let you know I have watched the 'how to upload' hundreds of times. My problem at the moment is when I double click on zipfile to then go to left and press up key all my files are dropping down and no zipfiles in sight. I made a small ror (top right) in my index and hyperlinked my site with the ror.xml but I obviously require to upload first as Google will not accept my sitemap so can only assume because I have not yet uploaded. I was hoping it could do it from my desktop, somehow (guess I am dreaming).
    Please tell me what can I do so that zipfiles will be in left column and not every other file that exists in my computer! How can I then check that the ror on my index has worked?
    Thanks heaps,
    Willows

Ok guys I opened a ticket at support as was not getting a response from here so figured perhaps its support re: UP button when uploading (see previous), however they tell me "no you need to ask this question in the forum'. Could someone please help me re why zipfiles not showing in left column (see previous). And what can i do to upload the zipfile since its not working for me as per tutorial. I have downloaded ror, saved it to my desktop and have it sitting in my index as a disreet word - ror top right hand side. Google wont accept it and i can only assume because it is not uploaded. If there is another way please tell me, or would anyone know why the UP button is dropping all of my folders, and zipfiles not appearing at all.
    Thank you
    Leanne

Leanne:
    I think that you need to watch and learn about the bluevoda FTP program.

The UP button will simply take you to another level of the directory depending whether the curser is within the left side screen(your computer files)
    or within the right side screen(your website files)

Now:
    You have your ror.xml file sitting on your computer.....
    You need to upload(using bv FTP or file manager in your Cpanel) the ror.xml file to your website. (see ftp tutorial)
    After you have uploaded the ror file
    you then need to create a text link (as I descibed earlier) on your home page
    to point to the ror file which should now be on your website.

Take it one step at a time and you will soon get it right......

Post here again if you need any more help.

No there is actually something wrong with where I do the UP key area. I know how to do it now without looking at tutorial or my notes now because I have tried to do it so many times. The problem I am facing now is that when I double click on my zipfile which is currently in right column (excuse my computer talk, dont know all the right words), and then click on the head of the left prior to pushing the UP key for zipfiles to drop into, I push the UP key and zipfiles does not appear. It is no where in sight! Once it drops in after the UP key I know I can then drag it to the right column. My problem is I think there is a glitch because zipfiles will not appear on the left side in order for me to do this. I have had my husband watch me do this hundreds of times after watching tutorial and he too cannot work out why its not happening as it should. I have even had to resort to asking neighbour if he can come over but he cannot make it till Wednesday night but I wanted it done yesterday so I do not have to worry about another thing and have it over and done with. I actually thought a vodahost would have assisted me by now.

Leane
    I dont quite understand this "up key area" that you have mentioned several times now.....and normally when you double click on a zip file your computer should open the appropiate program to open the zip file, i.e. winzip or some other zip program.
    What is this zip file and what are you trying to do with it ??

If, as you say, you have your ror.xml file then all you need to do is to upload it to your website.......then tell google the address(url) of where it can be found.

We are discussing the bluevoda FTP program, are we not ??

When I understand the problem a little better, I or someone else, may be able to help you.

On the top page of page1 Brad put in a tutorial to follow to upload the winzip file in FTP. In his example for the ror.xml it shows to save as zipfile then upload it. This is the problem that I am having, it wont let me upload it in the FTP program as per Brad's tutorial. It did the other night but as you know I deleted everything and started again. Since that night I have not been able to upload it into the FTP program. Everything else is done for it...
    By the way, you are a good man for answering me. Had I been you I would have stayed away from Willows : ) Thank you

OK, I have looked at what brad has posted and as I understand it, you are trying to DOWNLOAD the site mapper program Zip file so that you can re-create the ror fil. Is that correct ?

I will be honest with you David, I really don't know why I am doing it, I am just following what they said had to be done after downloading ror and saving it to desk top (which I did no problems). I just figure if thats what I am told to do then thats what should be done. (I know you are thinking what a complete nutter!)... Anyhow, since I could not upload what they said I still tried to submit it to Google and its either come back with 404 error before even getting submitted and the ones that I was able to get through it comes back ERROR, so I figured its because I had not done the upload thingy. So now I am hoping by Uploading this it will fix all the problems and therefore I hope I do not get an Error from google. I am guessing this is the only reason why its erroring!
    Leanne

Yes but it fails at Google
    I figured it was because I missed the upload step!

I have checked your ror link on your home page and you MUST change the text link to read:
    http://willowscandles.com.au/ror.xml

Google cannot find it because your link reads as:
    http://willowscandles.com.au/ror/xml
    replace the last / with a period and then thats it......................

I changed it the other night when you told me to. Where are you seeing this. Its in my edit hyperlink as www.willowscandles.com.au/ror.xml
    Where are you reading it differently and where can I change it since this is the only place that I put it.
    Leanne

Its on your home page....did you re-publish your home page after you made the changes.....

I just went onto the ror file and saw the .au/ror/xml but down the buttom of the page it is .au/ror.xml
    This is just what the sitemap did when i put in my details, I only have it in my index hyperlink and that is .au/ror.xml so I have no idea how or why its in my link as .au/ror/xml
    Is this where you are referring to what you saw. If yes, how do i change that when this is what ror did when I put in for the sitemap?
    Am I making any sense here??
    And yes i did republish it, several times actually!
    Leanne

You dont think its because I have not uploaded the zipfile do you?

No Leane, the zip file containing the site mapper program only allows you to create the ror.xml file using your computer.

You apparently have 2 links pointing to your ror.xml file on your home page.

1 is a text link ROR (which is correct) the other one is the full url
    http://www.willowscandles.com.au/ror/xml which is wrong......

Check you home page again......

I just deleted the old ror file and did another and the .au/ror/xml has generated in the sitemap again...It also has it at the bottom of it as .au/ror.xml
    However I do have it in my index hyperlink as .au/ror.xml
    I thought this was going to be an easy task but its worse than doing the website itself.
    I must have admit i have not done too badly as on pages 3/4 & 5 at the start when first when on Google on some of my pages (have moved on 1 or 2 pages other way since) but I want to be at the front.....

FORGET the Zip fille.....................

Click on Top right image (bunch of flowers) and look at the properties and DELETE the link that it contains(www.willowscandles.com.au/ror/xml)....
    thats whats causing you all your problems.

I did, I got rid of him and redid my ror but still there. I obviously have another ror in there somewhere but buggar me if I can find him. Will keep searching, thanks so much. Will let you know of outcome. Just have to find the buggar! Thank you David, you are truly too kind : )

Ok, I went onto hyperlink from my index and found him when I used the arrow to drop down everything. Thought I amended him, redid the ror and the .au/ror/xml is no longer on the ror file. however if I go back to the link and drop down the arrow again where it has the http he is still in the column. So the fact that he is not in my ror file do you think it will be safe to submit to google? I don't know how to delete it off the list of all of the www.information but he is definately not on the ror file. What do you think?

Thats it Leane, you now have the correct ror.xml link on your home page and if you have uploaded the ror.xml file to your website, then you do not need to do anything else.
    The next time that google visits your website, it will find your ror sitemap.

Tip: whenever you publish new or changed pages, re-create a new ror.xml file and upload it again. This will then overwrite the old one.

Can I get a discount on one of your fantastic candles now !!!!!!!!!!!!

David my sweet you can have anything you like. I absolutely adore you.
    If everyone is as friendly and kind hearted as you in Spain then I will be making my next vacation to Spain. What a kind soul you are!

I am going to cry!!! Google Errored me again!
    When you say upload to my website do you mean in the hyperlink section?
    Because if you mean the part before when I said the zipfile etc isnt that uploading it? And that is the part the my system will not let me do for some reason.
    It said unsupported file format!

Oh my, now you have me blushing.............there are many more people like myself in these forums always willing to help.
    Some times, the biggest problem is trying to communicate and understanding
    exactly what the problem is.

You have a very nice site with some excelent products so why not try to improve your method of customer communications.

I.E.:
    Create a dynamic contact us page whereby the client can fill out a small contact form and then the form SENDS YOU the email.
    Not many people will take the time to copy and paste your email address into thier email client, so its posible that you are losing potential clients/list

Its also feasible to convert your existing text ordering form to an automated fill-in type of form whereby you receive all the details entered, once again by email directly from the form........

Hope you dont mind these tips...........

Leane, After you have opened the ror program and have entered your website address, the ror program should end by telling you that it has indexed your 12 pages.
    Then you have the option to save the results as ror.xml on your computer.

The last thing you must do is to UPLOAD the ror.xml from your computer to your website by using your BV ftp program.

When you open your BV FTP program you should see 2 screens side by side.

The left side consists of files on your computer.
    The right side consists of files on your website

To UPLOAD a file from your computer to your website you should
    click and drag that file from the left to the right screen
    then a small box will appear that shows that its copying the file.

Forgive me if you have done all that, but we must know exactly what you have or havenot done.

back to you Leane............

You know what, I do not mind the tips at all. My problem with what you mentioned is that I do not know how to do them at this time. Trust me you do not want to go there now! It is something that I will certainly look at doing in the future, just the fact that I got the site up at all is a miracle for me. I came from work places where I worked on computers (ie, making airline bookings etc) and if there was ever a problem we called the IT man who would come and fix it. I know the basics and thats it! Now I am working from home and wanted a site for the candles and cant believe I even did this. It is very basic but I was thinking of people like myself who like basic sites that are easy to get around. Hopefully if they like the product they wont mind filling in a form and then they can send it with their payment.
    Did you see my last reply? Google rejected me!

Leane, Email me at info.weddingdressmarket( at ).co.uk

replace the brackets with you know what..................

You are so going to throw your arms in the air now!!
    The BV FTP program with the 2 screens side by side is the one that hates me and wont let me (remember zipfiles!) : )
    When I save a file, and then go to left, hilight left side before going on the UP button to get the file from right to left it wont let me do it!! This is the part that I was saying that I could not do : (
    When I press the UP button every file I have drops down (no BV programs) and the file I saved on the right side is not there. This is the one that is giving me hell!

Ooops, I threw my arms up in the air and I cant find them now......only joking.
    I have your ror.xml file on my computer, email me and we will sort it out.

Will be with you 2 ticks my email came back undelivered - Hang on two secs and I will see what I have done, will be with you soon

Have you got it David?

Received your 3 emails and from the contact page as well. hang on as I am trying to email you......................

Smile Re: Your Google Sitemap

To everyone who comes across Davidundalica.
    If you are privledged to have David assist you then you are a very lucky person.

I struggled with some things which I am sure most of you have read and had a good chuckle, but he is the perfect gentlemen. I cannot believe that in today's world someone went that extra mile and beyond to help a stranger.
    What a wonderful place this world would be if there was more David's around.
    If he had have been next to me I would have given him a great big hug!
    My words cannot express how grateful I am for what David has done for me. Such a beautiful soul.. He helped me so much and for that I am most grateful for.
    So if David comes to your rescue, you have been blessed!

Leanne (very happy to have had contact with David)

I ran the site map generator for my home page http://www.yes-one.com but it shows 0 processed and generates a small bit of code with the above url. Did I do something wrong? Isnt the site map supposed to contain all the urls on my website? Thanks in advance.

Sunrise

If you read this thread, you will see that this is a common problem. It is due to the fact that the ROR sitemapper cannot follow links in menubars. Your best solution is the one i have used and also reccomended: create a text based manual sitemap, as the one you can see in www.navaldesign.info/sitemap.html . then run the site generator for this URL, not your home page URL, and you will be ok.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Thanks Naval, I did notice I must use yes-one.com instead of www.yes-one.com, which resulted in 8 pages instead of zero. I will create one as you recommend. Thanks for your ongoing assistance.

Sunset

Quote Originally Posted by navaldesign
    If you read this thread, you will see that this is a common problem. It is due to the fact that the ROR sitemapper cannot follow links in menubars. Your best solution is the one i have used and also reccomended: create a text based manual sitemap, as the one you can see in www.navaldesign.info/sitemap.html . then run the site generator for this URL, not your home page URL, and you will be ok.

just set up a site map in my site using ROR but the link doesnt work

Checkout www.poker******z.com

Click the sitemap icon and see what im talking about.

Can somebody advise me of what i need to do for this to work???

Your sitemap link works and gets me to your ror.xml file.
    Navaldesign
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

I used Soho Launch to create my web site. When I run the Site Map Tool I get 0 links found. I tried making a links page and then running Ror and that did not work. I then made my own ror.xml file and uploaded it to my public folder. The page pulls up at www.vegascasinocollectibles.com/ror.xml but I cannot link it on my home page. Soho Launch does not like the file format. My questions are:
    1. Has anyone had any success doing this with Soho Launch?
    2. Does it need to be linked from the main page?
    3. Does my file look correct?

Thank you,
    Ray

Thanks for the info...link is on my home page and everything seems to be working...

questions is:

i read above, i think, that the ror.xml is for google? what does yahoo and msn want?

tia
    http://www.beebrothers.org

Success is not a doorway. It is a staircase.

ok yahoo says i have to authenicate my site
    so i made a page called it y_key_bb16650bab36b679.html and published it

then i dont understand how to enter the content (b1e44ea1f03216ca).

they said download it and insert it into the page, but how...i did it two ways one as text and another as html with the file inserted...

but that still doesnt solve the yahoo site map format, cant locate it on their site

not sure how to what i'm doing :)

or do i upload the .html file the gave me to public_html as is?

hmm.

Bethers is offline Major General & Forum Moderator

I think you are missing a step with yahoo - I believe they want you to put that info into the head section of your page - so they can authenticate that you are the owner - not that they are asking for you to make a page of that name.

Since I'm going by past experience, and not recently, I'm unable to say for sure this is what is happening - but go back to the directions step-by-step - and see if that's correct - if so, you need to take that string and insert it into the proper place on the page html (right click on the page and put it where told - either body or head).

o i c..i cant get the directions back because it is pending authorization...what a pain...

this is what is showing now:
    Please keep the file y_key_bb16650bab36b679.html on your site and do not change the content (b1e44ea1f03216ca). We will authenticate your site ownership by checking this file within 24 hours.

these are the directions:
    Download an authentication key (DO NOT change the file name or content):
    If you have problem with downloading the authentication key, please create a text file named as y_key_55e1a31225dfc513.html, put this string ed604720f62e5221 into the file.

Upload the verification file to your site.
    Please upload the key file that you downloaded or created yourself at the root level of your site directory.
    The expected file path is http://www.beebrothers.org/y_key_55e1a31225dfc513.html.

i don't get it?

If Yahoo works like Google, then yes, you got that ok. Google asks for a page to be created and published on your site, in the public_html folder. This page is to be named after the key they gave you, so their crawler looks for the key page, and automatically captures your identity.

If Yahoo is using the same system (which i don't know) then you have done things ok.
    Navaldesign

Hi Brad,
    I've been folwing your recommendations regarding creat a site map. I've done it all and I'm about to creat a 'discrret hiperlink' on my home page as you have sugested. My questions are: will this link be visible and available for the people click on? What do I do next? The idea is to creat it so google can index my page fast and I get info about my site, isn't it? How do I do that?
    Hope to hear from you soon and thanks a lot!
    Flavio

Hi There!
    What do I do after creating a hyperlink to ror form my homepage?
    People will be able to clik on it? What happens next?
    Sorry but I've been folowing your advices regarding site map and now I don't know what do next.
    Really appreciate your help.
    Thanks a lot,
    Flavio

A discrete link to the ror file can be a small size font word like "Sitemap" or "ror" or their own small "ror" image. It is not important that people click on it (although they will be able to). The important is that SE spiders will see it and they will then trace your ror file, thus finding your pages described in it.
    Navaldesign

Thanks a lot 'navaldesign' for your help!

I've put the link on the last picture on the right (guy playing golf). But when you click on it, comes up an error message. When u have some time would u check it for me and tell me what i'm doing wrong?
    site is: nzbrtours.com

(I've been trying hard to make my site 'google friendly', choosing the right key words,etc...and now following your advices regarding site map)

thanks again,
    Flavio

other problem (i think): when I created the link the following line apeared on the html code of the page:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

this line s even above <html> at the very begining of the code. (you can see it when you click VIEW>>>>PAGE HTML) is it right, this line on the very top of the codes?

thanks
    Flavio

Can't see anything wrong with your homepage code. it's clear. Maybe you have fixed it in the meantime ?

However, seems like the "ror.xml" file is not uploaded on your site. You need to get the file (or code, depends on what option you have selected when you created your sitemap) and upload it in your "public_html".
    Navaldesign

I seem to have a problem with the Google sitemap and the ROR sitemap. When they are created there are no individual urls listed. It seems to stop at the homepage. Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Larry

i cannot get ror to list any of my url's except my homepage.
    thanks,
    larry

Hey Brad or if anyone can help me out here Please !!
    I have just been trying to download ROR,but cannot open. The message reads invalid archive ?????? I have tried 3 or 4 times but with no success !

Hi Its Sam here
    ID 12237
    I just downloaded rorgen10 installed it, uploaded it in the public_html directory from blue ftp,inserted a ror info button with a hyperlink in my home page.and then published it as well!
    but when i prewiew it and tried to click the ror info button it says
    page not found??
    can anybody have a look and let me know or fix it please?
    http://www.gamesconsolesonline.com/ror.xml

thanks, sam

Question Re: Your Google Sitemap

Hi its sam here,
    i did exactly what is told here but still when i click on the ror info button

it comes up the page not found??
    http://www.gamesconsolesonline.com/ror.xml

please can someone help me to fix it?

thanks
    id 12237

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    I just came across a very cool little piece of software called "ROR".
    ROR will create a sitemap for your website. A sitemap makes it easier
    for Google and Yahoo to index your site. If you plan on making it
    online. You Need To Have a Sitemap!

Click Here to download ROR. It's Free!

1) Download ROR to your desktop
    2) Unzip and install ROR

3) Where it says Site URL enter your domain name...Our Domain name is www.vodahost.com whats yours?
    4) Click "generate sitemap"
    5) when the site map is done, click "save as"
    6) save it to your desk top as ror
    7) upload it to your public_html folder using blueFTP. If you do not know how to do this, click the below link for a tutorial on the topic

http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/ftp...da_blueftp.htm

Create a hyperlink from your home page to the xml file. Our homepage hyperlink looks link this http://www.vodahost.com/ror.xml

If you have any questions about ROR or require help with your Sitemap.
    Please feel free to ask for help here in this forum. Please DO NOT open
    a support ticket for help with ROR. You will be sent back here.

How do I do that so that it shows on my homepage will show http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/ror.xml Do I upload the file ror.xml? Thanks in advance
    Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
    Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Exclamation Re: Your Google Sitemap

David? (or anybody) I followed your instructions to the letter, but now my site's messed up. Please take a look at it and tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it. http://[URL="http://www.ourjourneytolife.com"]www.ourjourneytolife.com[/URL] This is my first attempt at creating a webpage so please explain as simply as possible so I can understand the html language. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad

2) Unzip and install ROR

3) Where it says Site URL enter your domain name...Our Domain name is www.vodahost.com whats yours?
    7) upload it to your public_html folder using blueFTP. If you do not know how to do this, click the below link for a tutorial on the topic

Create a hyperlink from your home page to the xml file. Our homepage hyperlink looks link this http://www.vodahost.com/ror.xml

Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html

Would you please check my site NavalDesign? I've uploaded my sitemap but seem to be having a challenge viewing it on my site on the internet. I must have missed something. Thanks in advance NavalDesign, I appreciate you.

Quote Originally Posted by navaldesign
    Can't see anything wrong with your homepage code. it's clear. Maybe you have fixed it in the meantime ?

However, seems like the "ror.xml" file is not uploaded on your site. You need to get the file (or code, depends on what option you have selected when you created your sitemap) and upload it in your "public_html".

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mac
    Karen, is that the way it's suppose to look like? Coded? I've seen others sitemaps and they didn't look like mine. Theirs looked like a Contents page in a book. Thanks in advance Karen, I'm still learning, slowly but surely.

There are two different kinds of sitemaps:

1. The visual ones. These contain all the links to all your pages that you want indexed by SE. Usually a link to the sitemap page is contained in the homepage.Once a SE has found your dite, it also discovers (from the homepage link) the sitemap page and from there all your pages URLs. This is a human sitemap, but serves as well for SEs too.
    2. The SE sitemaps. These are only for SE use, and yes, they are usually in xml (like ROR). It does the same job, but only for SEs.

If you need a visual (human) sitemap as well as a xml sitemap, then you need to use some of the software you can find on the net (usually paid for) that allowes creating (and manually editing, to optimise) both the visual part as well as the xml part. Many of them also allow autoatic submission of the site and sitemap also to SEs.
    Navaldesign

Thanks dear Brad I load it all done !

Hi Navaldesign,
    Am I right or have I got it hoplessly wrong? I downloaded the ror.xml file via blueftp to my html folder and created a hidden link to my index page (not very hidden; click on the red dot ober the "i" in jamesbartondesign title). Now the ror file seems to show only info about my home page: is this as it should be? Also the file looks very, very different depending on which browser it is viewed in: IE,firefox, opera or netscape.

I have also manually created a visual site map, accessible from text navigation at the bottom left of my main pages, including a link to the ror.xml file. Should I have done this?

Would be grateful if you could point out any mistakes in what I have done.

Regards,
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by navaldesign View Post
    There are two different kinds of sitemaps:

1. The visual ones. These contain all the links to all your pages that you want indexed by SE. Usually a link to the sitemap page is contained in the homepage.Once a SE has found your dite, it also discovers (from the homepage link) the sitemap page and from there all your pages URLs. This is a human sitemap, but serves as well for SEs too.
    2. The SE sitemaps. These are only for SE use, and yes, they are usually in xml (like ROR). It does the same job, but only for SEs.

If you need a visual (human) sitemap as well as a xml sitemap, then you need to use some of the software you can find on the net (usually paid for) that allowes creating (and manually editing, to optimise) both the visual part as well as the xml part. Many of them also allow autoatic submission of the site and sitemap also to SEs.
    Naval? Would you kindly give me the url's of the visual ones that allow automatic submission of the site and sitemap? Preferably the ones that are free? Thanks, you're a sweetie.

James

DO NOT PUT A HIDDEN LINK to anything as thats a BIG NO NO. All you have to do is enter a meta tag to tell the SE where your XML site map is located.

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="ROR" href="sitemap.xml" />
    And the search engines will see it just fine.

Pristine:

A visual site map is just a page with links on it to all your pages and products.

Heres a list of them on google.. around 4 million.. im sure one of them is FREE!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...+sitemap+maker

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

I named my sitemap, sitemap, so if you have left yours as ror, in the link above, change it to ror.xml in the meta tag.

Hidden LINKS, or even the practive of linking one LETTER will get you SE banned and defeat the purpose of putting up a sitemap to start with.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

If you want to see a visual, partial sitemap, go look at charmingnoveltees and look at the very bottom where u see all the pages linked. I have ALL the categories linked there with keywords, I just didnt also add the products themselves, but thats very basically what a VISUAL sitemap is.

Please people dont make simple HARD.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

And robots.txt?, should i do some file named robots.txt and why and HOW?
    Very Thank's
    Poster4

Do a search on the forum for robots.txt, or on google.

Why should you do a robots.txt file? If you dont want certain areas or pages indexed, or you dont want certain spiders to index you. If you dont have sensitive or members areas on a site, then you really dont need one, except the robots will look for one and your stats will show page NOT found is all.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Hi,

Sounds great. I used it. But doesn't work!
    If I press the generate sitemap button the textbox says:"Crawling website...please wait!". Then after a few seconds it says above the textbox:"processed 0 urls"

What is wrong?

Cheers,

Fred
    http://www.westerncapeholiday.com
    http://www.westerncapeproperty.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post

2) Unzip and install ROR

I set up the ror.xml . When I access it, I get another screen. click on ny address with the ror and you will see what I mean.

http://www.tysoneducationalsystems.com/ror.xml

http://www.tysoneducationalsystems.com/

Hi Tyson,

SO it seems you have a similar problem, of ror not creating a sitemap.

Let's hope someone comes up with the solution.

Cheers,

Fred

I had the same problem. I was using "menu bar" to navigate my site. I switched to " navigation" buttons and that solved that problem, Now I have this problem, one step at a time. What menu system are you using?

Check my post at:

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/hyp...tml#post174143

http://www.tysoneducationalsystems.com/

I am using the navigation bar.
    But on my site http://www.westerncapeholiday.com I also use a text menu at the bottom of each page. Moreover, also links in the text on both websites link to the other pages so it seems to me that it is not the navigation bar that is the problem, because ror could have picked up other pages through other links.

It is about time other experts jump in to sort out this issue.

Cheers,

Fred

I ran your your site in ror amd it found 34 url's. Look carefully.

I wish someone would answer my post.

Just wanted to post that for the past 5 days I have noticed the ror site map generator is not working, perhaps they are updating or something similar ... Unless it updates, we won't be able to update from ror

For anyone wanting another site map generator you might consider using this one .. http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEye View Post
    Just wanted to post that for the past 5 days I have noticed the ror site map generator is not working, perhaps they are updating or something similar ... Unless it updates, we won't be able to update from ror

For anyone wanting another site map generator you might consider using this one .. http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/

Thanks for that Lady, what a pain! I use that all the time..

I'll try the one you have given us above. Do keep us informed about the other one though won't you.

Thanks Again
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Why does is say when I install and run ROR that there has been 0 processed URL's for my website?

Quote Originally Posted by mariah View Post
    Why does is say when I install and run ROR that there has been 0 processed URL's for my website?
    Hi Mariah,

Please look two posts above your post and you will see there apparently is a problem at the moment with the sitemap generator.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

(whistling) I dunno where Miss Holly could have gotten that site...

But it does work nicely and you can do an html one to put on your site for your customers as well with a tad bit of editing.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Mac View Post
    (whistling) I dunno where Miss Holly could have gotten that site...

But it does work nicely and you can do an html one to put on your site for your customers as well with a tad bit of editing.

Karen

Now ... Who you Gonna Call ...
    Ghostbusters That's Who!!

LMAO at you ....
    LE <------- goes back to the whistling kettle, lol ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information