Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Web Design Is Dangerous...
      
   

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Posts
    653

    Default Web Design Is Dangerous...

    I'm busy with a new website for a Raptor and Reptile Centre, it has been the most hair raising and fun site to date. www.addoraptorreptile.com

    Please could I have your comments and crits.

    Cheers,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayItByBeer View Post
    I'm busy with a new website for a Raptor and Reptile Centre, it has been the most hair raising and fun site to date. www.addoraptorreptile.com

    Please could I have your comments and crits.

    Cheers,
    Hi Andrew, excellent as usual, I am presuming it is still work in progress as I found a few pages were non existant?

    One tiny thing I noticed was that your links menu jumps from page to page on a few pages, but otherwise up to your usual standard which always amaze me!
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Posts
    653

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Thanks Ramsey,

    Like the Centre logo? LOL

    I've just realised I spelt Lizard with two ZZ's so I'm changing the links menu, I think that's the guilty party with the moving menu.

    Have a look at the desktop wallpapers on the media page www.addoraptorreptile.com/centre_information/media.html there are some fun uses of the logo.

    Cheers,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    4,539

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Quote Originally Posted by PlayItByBeer View Post
    Thanks Ramsey,

    Like the Centre logo? LOL

    I've just realised I spelt Lizard with two ZZ's so I'm changing the links menu, I think that's the guilty party with the moving menu.

    Have a look at the desktop wallpapers on the media page www.addoraptorreptile.com/centre_information/media.html there are some fun uses of the logo.

    Cheers,
    You know me I love your artwork, you don't even need to spend any money going to the local zoo... you seem to make your animals appear alive somehow LOL.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Posts
    653

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Quote Originally Posted by Marincky View Post
    You know me I love your artwork, you don't even need to spend any money going to the local zoo... you seem to make your animals appear alive somehow LOL.
    I shot way too many great pictures... the birds are were posers, but the snakes were not on the same page ( I've got a picture of one of our most deadly snakes, a puffadder, between my 'bare feet', I didn't notice it moving while I was happy snapping and a handler saying "just stay still")

    It's not so easy taking photo's while chain smoking!!!

    Cheers,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,733

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Hi Andrew,
    Very well done as usual, lol. The artwork is funtastic. When viewing your site in Firefox, you will see the menu Addo >> Accommodation >> .... not expanding fully. See my post here.
    Bless you
    Tom


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Posts
    653

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom vR View Post
    Hi Andrew,
    Very well done as usual, lol. The artwork is funtastic. When viewing your site in Firefox, you will see the menu Addo >> Accommodation >> .... not expanding fully. See my post here.
    Thanks Tommy,

    I checked the pages in FF while I was uploading and I didn't pick it up. Thanks tip, but I'm already running default style and the menu's have already be 'move to front' or they would open behind the page text.

    Any other suggestions???

    Cheers,

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kings Lynn Norfolk UK
    Posts
    8,702

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Hi, I like reviewing yours sites as itís a bit like a competition on trying to find something wrong. (Hard) LOL. But another great looking site. Couple of things that maybe worth a look.
    Pages look slightly off centre & are set at 800 wide. Not sure if 770 might align them a bit closer.
    Not sure on the http://www.addoraptorreptile.com/reptiles/lizards.html page if the lizards look a bit washed out in comparison to your other images??
    On the http://www.addoraptorreptile.com/cen...donations.html page, the blue links are hard to read.

    Couple of fire fox issue.
    On the http://www.addoraptorreptile.com/add...tractions.html page this text is over lapping the text underneath.
    ADDO ATTRACTIONS | SUNDAYS RIVER VALLEY | EASTERN CAPE | SOUTH AFRICA

    And on the menu Addo>Accommodation> the slide out menu after this goes under the right hand image. I think Tom on the forum has a fix for this, as its works fine in IE.

    Another great looking site.

    Good luck.
    Ah! i see Tom has popped in.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Posts
    653

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Quote Originally Posted by Collectors-info View Post
    Hi, I like reviewing yours sites as itís a bit like a competition on trying to find something wrong. (Hard) LOL. But another great looking site. Couple of things that maybe worth a look.
    Pages look slightly off centre & are set at 800 wide. Not sure if 770 might align them a bit closer.
    Not sure on the http://www.addoraptorreptile.com/reptiles/lizards.html page if the lizards look a bit washed out in comparison to your other images??
    On the http://www.addoraptorreptile.com/cen...donations.html page, the blue links are hard to read.

    Couple of fire fox issue.
    On the http://www.addoraptorreptile.com/add...tractions.html page this text is over lapping the text underneath.
    ADDO ATTRACTIONS | SUNDAYS RIVER VALLEY | EASTERN CAPE | SOUTH AFRICA

    And on the menu Addo>Accommodation> the slide out menu after this goes under the right hand image. I think Tom on the forum has a fix for this, as its works fine in IE.

    Another great looking site.

    Good luck.
    Ah! i see Tom has popped in.
    Thanks Chris,
    • Centre align was sorted at 770 wide. tks
    • The geckos on the lizzard page are actually that colour. LOL
    • I'm changing all links to the same colour as the rest of text. (lazy at the start costs you in the end)
    • The FF problem not sorted with Toms fix, but I've changed bed & breakfast to B&B and it seems to be fine.
    Thanks for having a detailed look as usual.
    Cheers,

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    woodbourne new york
    Posts
    1,478

    Smile Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Great looking site. Hope you did not get nipped at working with those animals even throu they did look tame to me. Problay its still work in progress under the snakes where it said next came up with a 404 error. very well done,good luck with it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,733

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Quote Originally Posted by Collectors-info View Post
    Hi, I like reviewing yours sites as itís a bit like a competition on trying to find something wrong. (Hard) LOL. But another great looking site. Couple of things that maybe worth a look.
    Pages look slightly off centre & are set at 800 wide. Not sure if 770 might align them a bit closer.
    Not sure on the http://www.addoraptorreptile.com/reptiles/lizards.html page if the lizards look a bit washed out in comparison to your other images??
    On the http://www.addoraptorreptile.com/cen...donations.html page, the blue links are hard to read.

    Couple of fire fox issue.
    On the http://www.addoraptorreptile.com/add...tractions.html page this text is over lapping the text underneath.
    ADDO ATTRACTIONS | SUNDAYS RIVER VALLEY | EASTERN CAPE | SOUTH AFRICA

    And on the menu Addo>Accommodation> the slide out menu after this goes under the right hand image. I think Tom on the forum has a fix for this, as its works fine in IE.

    Another great looking site.

    Good luck.
    Ah! i see Tom has popped in.
    Hi Chris and Andrew,
    For the drop menu to work perfectly in FF, you must not only use the DEFAULT style, but also do not use any Appearance Effects.

    Another tip: Do not use a dropmenu with submenus at the right hand side of the page. Menus only expand to the right and not to the left. They will expand off the page, causing slight sideways scrolling as well.

    Good luck.
    Bless you
    Tom


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Posts
    653

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Quote Originally Posted by jkadin View Post
    Great looking site. Hope you did not get nipped at working with those animals even throu they did look tame to me. Problay its still work in progress under the snakes where it said next came up with a 404 error. very well done,good luck with it.
    Thanks jkadin,
    It's very much a 'work in progress' and my lacking knowledge of raptors and reptiles means I need to wait for some content LOL. The animals are all wild and definitely not tame. They don't milk or remove fangs.

    Cheers,

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Posts
    653

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom vR View Post
    Hi Chris and Andrew,
    For the drop menu to work perfectly in FF, you must not only use the DEFAULT style, but also do not use any Appearance Effects.

    Another tip: Do not use a dropmenu with submenus at the right hand side of the page. Menus only expand to the right and not to the left. They will expand off the page, causing slight sideways scrolling as well.

    Good luck.
    Thanks Tom,

    My problem was due to the length of the words and their positioning in relation to the right side of my page. Reducing 'bed and breakfast' to B&B has solved the problem.

    Cheers,

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,733

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Man, I'm trying hard to find a mistake. I'm glad you have it fixed. What about swapping Education and Addo menus and leave Bed and Breakfast written out?
    Bless you
    Tom


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Posts
    653

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom vR View Post
    Man, I'm trying hard to find a mistake. I'm glad you have it fixed. What about swapping Education and Addo menus and leave Bed and Breakfast written out?
    Great minds think alike LOL The only reason why I decided not to swop them is that the accommodation section is a bit of an ad on and it would end up in the middle of main site or centre area.

    I decided that the drop down menu's don't fit my design style, so it's back to custom nav to fit my template in the future. (bit clean for my custom templates LOL)
    Cheers,

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Coral Springs, Florida
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    WoW
    Sharon Chajin

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Posts
    653

    Default Re: Web Design Is Dangerous...

    Hey Sharon,
    Glad you enjoy.

    Cheers,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •