Thread: Page length too long when page is published

Cool Page length too long when page is published

Hi,

My website is www.nouveauwriter.com

I am experiencing difficulty when I publish a page that is for example 7000 in length according to the grid, but when published shows up way longer. If I change the length to a smaller number it still publishes it much longer than I would like with a lot of white space after my page is ended. Is there a way to correct this?
    Thanks!
    Laura

Default Re: Page length too long when page is published

Works perfectly in IE7 and FireFox.

Tom
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Works fine in IE, Firefox and Safari for me. You must of fixed the problem.
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

About us page shows error 404 - not found. Who are you????

Just funnin'

Best Regards,
    Karen Williams
    Your Belief is Your Reality

Hi,

This is the page I'm having difficulty adjusting the length. www.nouveauwriter.com/may2008.html
    As I mentioned before, even if I adjust the grid to 7000 it still shows up way too long when published. How can I correct this?

By the way, Jeremy Bellefeuille, your Web site is awesome, but I noted some spelling errors...if you need a writer's assistance, I'd be glad to help.

Laura

There is a gradient on the bottom of the page. (waaaay down). You must remove/change that before the page will be shorter. Setting the page length in the properties box will not change the length if there is an object present.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Hi Laura,

I just saw your offer for writer assistance help, while I cannot help you on your webpage problem, as I am just new. However, I wonder if you are interested to review my 2 new websites I just 99.5% finished, and help me on my English an Spelling, as I do have some problem in these areas. If you need compensation, I am glad to discuss it with you. My websites are:

<Elitelifestylevillas.com> and <Globalbuyerstrust.com>

You may reach me at firstlionking********.com or globalaenterprise******.com

Best regards.

Alec Liu

Quote Originally Posted by breezagirl View Post
    Hi,

This is the page I'm having difficulty adjusting the length. www.nouveauwriter.com/may2008.html
    As I mentioned before, even if I adjust the grid to 7000 it still shows up way too long when published. How can I correct this?

By the way, Jeremy Bellefeuille, your Web site is awesome, but I noted some spelling errors...if you need a writer's assistance, I'd be glad to help.

Laura

Thumbs up Re: Page length too long when page is published

Quote Originally Posted by breezagirl View Post
    Hi,

Laura
    Hey!

Thank you! .. I speak french most of the time so I tend to make mistakes! Send me an e-mail and we can get in touch..
    Best regards,
    Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Yeah you need to adjust the gradient. You may also want to check the "page size slider" on the bottom left of your page in bluevoda. I had a problem where it was much further down than the page size I had set, so i clicked on it and dragged it up to the correct size. Hope that helps.

Cool Re: Page length too long when page is published

Thanks for all your comments.

I removed the gradient blue box which in BV was set really high but appears really low when published. I also set the page to 7000 in the page properties although my page is actually 8500 in length. I checked the page length on the left bottom of my page in BV and it was also 7000, but I still get lots of white space when published!

I still haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong. Any comments?

Laura
    www.nouveauwriter.com/may2008
    www.laurafabiani.com

There could still be an object hiding down low. Open the page and do a Edit/Select All. Scroll down and see if you can see anything that had been hidden.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Question Re: Page length too long when page is published

Hi CarbonTerry,

I did the Edit/Select All, but no hidden object found. I noticed though that if I change the page properties to, let's say, 9000 and then back to 7000, it will remain at 9000, and I can't seem to get it back to the original page length.

Maybe it's caching, but I have the code in HTML to prevent this from happening. How does the page now appear on your screen?
    www.nouveauwriter.com.may2008.html

I appreciate all the help!

Laura

L,
    There is still alot of blank space below the last piece of information. I cannot find any stray objects either.
    You may want to download BlueVoda again and reinstall. That will not affect any files you currently have.
    Make sure that you DO NOT download BV10.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Okay, so I downloaded and reinstalled BV and I still have the same problem. Any more suggestions? At this point, I'll try whatever will work!

Thanks again,
    Laura
    www.nouveauwriter.com/may2008.html
    www.laurafabiani.com

Hi Laura,
    I took a look at the page source code to see if I could find anything unusual. However, I am not very knowledgeable in html code....but this looks like something that sort of is near to the page length you keep getting. Don't know what it means, but maybe someone here will know!

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" style="scrollbar-face-color:#00008B;scrollbar-arrow-color:#000000;scrollbar-3dlight-color:#ECE9D8;scrollbar-darkshadow-color:#716F64;scrollbar-highlight-color:#FFFFFF;scrollbar-shadow-color:#ACA899;scrollbar-track-color:#D4D0C8;">
    <div id="container">
    <div id="bv_" style="position:absolute;left:48px;top:240px;width :648px;height:8249px;z-index:0" align="justify">
    If this doesn't help, I apologize for the intrusion!

Quote Originally Posted by judavvforum View Post
    Hi Laura,
    I took a look at the page source code to see if I could find anything unusual. However, I am not very knowledgeable in html code....but this looks like something that sort of is near to the page length you keep getting. Don't know what it means, but maybe someone here will know!

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" style="scrollbar-face-color:#00008B;scrollbar-arrow-color:#000000;scrollbar-3dlight-color:#ECE9D8;scrollbar-darkshadow-color:#716F64;scrollbar-highlight-color:#FFFFFF;scrollbar-shadow-color:#ACA899;scrollbar-track-color:#D4D0C8;">
    <div id="container">
    <div id="bv_" style="position:absolute;left:48px;top:240px;width :648px;height:8249px;z-index:0" align="justify">
    If this doesn't help, I apologize for the intrusion!
    Dave, that's just the properties for the single cell table she has inserted on the page. This is not what's causing her issue.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Working OK now....
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonTerry View Post
    Working OK now....
    After seeing your comment, I checked the page again on the Web, but I still see lots of white space at the bottom!
    I experimented by cloning the page and then cutting out the text. When I adjusted the page length and previewed it, the length was fine! But the minute I copied the text back onto the page, I had the same problem. Can this mean anything?

Laura

Make sure that you hold down your "Ctrl" key and click on your browsers refresh button. Youy browser may be cacheing an old version.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Tried that, both with my business computer and my personal one, as well as using M. Explorer and Firefox browsers. Still lots of white space... Any other suggestions?

Your help is always appreciated,
    Laura

There is no additional space for me at the bottom of your site.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Strange...! I still see a lot of space below the last content! (Using IE7).

Looks fine to me in IE7 & Firefox
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Hi, looks fine to me to in IE7 & FF. There is about 1" below the blue & i assume you don't mean this.
    You also need to remove a chevron ">" at the end of your
    <script type="text/javascript"src="http://forms.aweber.com/form/94/940725494.js"></script>>
    script. Its showing up on the page.
    May also be worth checking your key words to make sure they are within the text of the page. The SE's might not like this.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Collectors-info View Post
    Hi, looks fine to me to in IE7 & FF. There is about 1" below the blue & i assume you don't mean this.
    You also need to remove a chevron ">" at the end of your
    <script type="text/javascript"src="http://forms.aweber.com/form/94/940725494.js"></script>>
    script. Its showing up on the page.
    May also be worth checking your key words to make sure they are within the text of the page. The SE's might not like this.

Good luck.
    Hi Chris,

Where exactly did you see the extra chevron >? I looked carefully at my HTML and did not see it.

By the way, my homepage does not have the extra white space, but only this page: www.nouveauwriter.com/may2008.html

CarbonTerry, do you now see the white space at the end of this page?
    Laura

Hi, where you see <script type="text/javascript"src="http://forms.aweber.com/form/94/940725494.js"></script>
    Make the end part without the chevron. BV adds one automatically. IE:
    /94/940725494.js"></script
    It will also make the page jump up 1 line.

This is really weird! I still see a large white space below the last page content, using both IE7 & FF. CarbonTerry & Collectors-Info; are you sure that you are looking at her ......../may2008.html page? If so, could it just be a setting in our browsers? I have "refreshed" (F5) several times!

Laura--At the bottom of the page where it says "Warm regards, NouveauWriter.com"...

If I left click and drag across the screen well into the offending white space, the "NouveauWriter.com" will highlight. Is it possible the text box containing it is too long? If it's extending down into the white space, that might cause trouble.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finley View Post
    Laura--At the bottom of the page where it says "Warm regards, NouveauWriter.com"...

If I left click and drag across the screen well into the offending white space, the "NouveauWriter.com" will highlight. Is it possible the text box containing it is too long? If it's extending down into the white space, that might cause trouble.

Tom
    Hi Tom,

My text box ends right after my greeting. I even tried to shorten it as much as possible. When you look at my page on the Internet and right click on the white space and "select all", only my text in the box will be highlighted in blue.

I'm truly stumped. Thanks for the suggestion...
    Laura

Laura

I copied your page and put it into an html box. I get the large space at the bottom when I previewed it. Then I went in and edited that 8000+px that I mentioned in my first post. It fixed your problem....space gone!
    (<div id="bv_" style="position:absolute;left:48px;top:240px;width :648px;height:8249px;z-index:1" align="justify">)
    I changed it to 3000 and it worked! I don't know why that number is being generated, but that's your problem area! Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can pick it up from here!
    Good luck!

Thanks Dave! Now if only someone can show me how I can change that in my HTML box?

Laura

Well, I'm a bit surprised that someone hasn't jumped in on this; since we know the problem area!

Anyway, here's what I would do, first. If the box around your article is a "shape", rather than a table cell; I would delete it and recreate it around the existing text. IF it is a table cell; I believe you will have to "copy" the text first, then delete the table. Then, paste your text back to the page and then create the shape around it.

Make sure the page is long enough to handle all the text, then shorten it after doing all the previous steps.

Now, I'll bet you pasted your text into that area from a word processor,(MS Word, etc). The embedded formatting in Word might be doing something strange to the page! If the above doesn't succeed; you might want to take the time to recreate your article using the BV text box tool!

Hope this helps! Hope to someday learn more about the html coding terms!

Regarding:

Now, I'll bet you pasted your text into that area from a word processor,(MS Word, etc). The embedded formatting in Word might be doing something strange to the page! If the above doesn't succeed; you might want to take the time to recreate your article using the BV text box tool!

Hope this helps! Hope to someday learn more about the html coding terms![/quote]

Yes, I did use MS word to write my articles and then copied and pasted it, simply because I can use the grammar and spell check. Since this is a writer's site it's imperative the text be error free. Is there any way I can spell check if I create my text directly in the text box?

Laura

Laura
    The current version does not spell check, however there is a new version (BV10) out that has that feature. I don't know if it can check grammer, though. If you want to experiment with it; keep in mind that it will open current versions of BV web pages, BUT, if you make changes and SAVE the web page in BV10; you will no longer be able to open that page in the current BV version!! So download BV10 into a seperate folder and keep saved pages in a folder seperate from current BV version.

You might also experiment with the "OLE object" tool. It inserts MS Word document into the page area and double clicking that area opens Word so that you can edit the text. It will take a little experimenting to get the proper fit, (margins, etc).

Check here for more info on BV10. http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/new...-features.html

Laura

The new version 10 has a spell checker under "Tools." Just highlight the text you want checked. It'll check as you type, as well.

Tom

EDIT: Dave beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finley View Post
    Laura

The new version 10 has a spell checker under "Tools." Just highlight the text you want checked. It'll check as you type, as well.

Tom

EDIT: Dave beat me to it!
    Tom, what ifI use Google docs which uses a WYSIWYG editor? Would this formatting affect my BV pages? I also looked at Notepad but it doesn't come with a spell check.

Laura

Hi, Laura

I'm an author, too. As you know, publishers prefer Word, so that's what I use to type manuscripts as a habit. What I'd do if I wanted a longish article on my website would be to write it in Word (spellchecking it there), copy it to Notepad (that strips out all formatting and hidden coding), copy that to my text box in BV, then use BV to do any text formatting such as bold or color. That's about as foolproof as it gets.

Best wishes,

Tom

Smile Re: Page length too long when page is published

Hi Tom,

That sounds like a great solution! Thanks.

Laura

Thread Information