Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell A Friend Script

Default Tell A Friend Script

I’ve seen in many posts that members of the forum are asking for a “Tell a Friend” script, so I thought I could prepare one, using Bluevoda.
    The script itself consists of two parts: the visual part, which is a simple form built directly in Bluevoda, and the processing script which is built in php. The script is called “TAF.php” .

To see, test and download all necessary material please click here.

These are the instructions for installing our TAF script. Please follow to the letter, to avoid errors. The procedure is quite simple, and it only involves publishing the relevant pages on your site, and uploading through FTP or File Manager, the TAF.php file that is required to send the mail.
    By following these steps, the TAF form will appear in a popup, leaving the original page as it is. However, you can also implement the form directly in your pages, as explained in step 4.

Step 1.

You will find 5 .bvp files in this zip. They are:

1. TAFemailerror.bvp
    2. TAFspamerror.bvp
    3. TAFreturn.bvp
    4. TAFform.bvp
    5. TAFbuttons.bvp

Open pages 1 – 3 in BV. Customize colours if you wish. Save the pages and publish them on your site.

Open page 4 in BV. Customize colours if you wish. Now, double click on the form. The form includes two hidden fields: Subject and Mailbody.

Double click on the first hidden field (Subject) and change it to whatever you want your mail subject to be, i.e. “ Found an interesting site!
    Double click on the second hidden field (Mailbody), and change it to whatever you want your mailbody to be, i.e. “ I have found this site to be very interesting. Click on www.dbtechnosystems.com to visit! “.

As you see, in the mailbody, you must include the link to your site.

The rest of the form settings is already setup by us:

Action: TAF.php
    Encoding: multipart / formdata
    Method = POST

Ok, now you SAVE your form (as TAFform) and publish it.

Step 2.

Upload on the server, using either FTP or File Manager, the “ TAF.php “ file that you have found in the zip. No editing is required.

Step 3.

Now you need to place in your pages, a TAF button. Open the “ TAFbuttons “ page that came with the zip, and open your own page as well.

Copy whichever TAF button you like, and simply paste it in your own page. Save your page and publish it. Test it ! Please note that it will only work when published, not in preview.

If you wish to use a button of your own or one you have found in the VodaHost TAF Buttons Library , you will need to link it to the script. To do so, in BV, click on the TAF button, and when the Image Properties dialog box appears, click on Link, then in the URL field, paste the following code:

#" onClick="window.open('TAFform.html', '','width=310,height=170'); return false;"

That’s all. Save your page and publish it. Test it !

Step 4. Only read if you don’t want the TAF form in a popup

You can implement the TAF form directly in your pages. To do so, just copy the form in your page. Customize it as explained in step 1. You will also need to modify the TAFemailerror.bvp, TAFspamerror.bvp, and TAFreturn.bvp to become full size pages. Save and publish them.

That’s all !

Please note that I have put a “Hi $friendname” as a salute before the mailbody.

If you need further information or clarifications, please contact me here

Thankyou!
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Default Re: Tell A Friend Script

Nice one, Naval! You are Mr Helpful. Even with all this stress flying about! Lol.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Red face Re: Tell A Friend Script

Hi again Naval,

I followed your instructions BUT I've done something wrong it seems. I get the following error message when clicking on my "tell a friend' button

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '@' in /home/bziipuvf/public_html/tellafriend/tellafriend.php on line 21

Any ideas please?

Thanks much!
    Claudette

check your tellafriend.php using php editor and see on line 21. there you will see @ which is unexpected for your script
    Nyoman

Line 21 should look like this if you have not changed anything:

$mail->From = $youremail;

Most probably you have indeed put in some @ not needed there , f.e. typing in your real email address. (in this line, your email address is already included automatically, you MUST NOT change the line by typingg your real email address)
    Navaldesign
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Thumbs up Re: Tell A Friend Script

Naval,

Yes, You are right! I did indeed insert our email address where I shouldn't have. The form works 100% now.

Well that's it! I have finished our web page ... with the help of this forum and you.

What fun!

My eternal gratitude to all.

Hi Naval,

I was determent on getting this T-A-F script to work. But I surrender L I tried several nights, but I keep ending up with the same message: [cannt find page] and http://www.snelensimpeleengratiswebsitebouwen.com/tellafriend.php in the adresbox. So I guess I didn’t upload tellafriend.php in the right folder or something like that. Could you please explain in what folder I should upload that and the other 2 files?

I DID check both password and username in the PHP script a zillion times. That is by the way the only change I made in that script. The other two I didn’t even op.

Your help would be extremely appreciated.

Carl

ALL files should be uploaded in the same folder where your page (the one with the TAF form) is. If snelensimpeleengratiswebsitebouwen.com is your main domain, then the correct folder is your public_html folder, if it is an addon domain, then the correct folder is the default folder of this domain.
    It seemes as though none of the three php files are uploaded in the correct folder.
    You also have one more problem: you have draged the reset button outside the form area, so it doesn't work.
    Navaldesign

Hi Naval,

Just sent you an email. Since I've emailed you I have been doing some tweaking and hoping to get it right. The reset is fine and I've got the submit to go to my thank you page, but I've been testing and not getting the email. Also even when I click submit without putting anything in the fields it goes to my thank you page instead of message not sent. :(

There is no "Message not sent" page, this is a very essential script. Validation can be added however if you wish, with just three addiational lines of code. I tried it too and got no mail, so i suppose there is something wrong that you have done with the script. Please post the php script here, excactly as you have modified and uploaded it.
    Navaldesign

Hi Naval,

Here is my script:

<?php
    require("class.phpmailer.php");
    @$name = addslashes($_POST['name']);
    @$friendname = addslashes($_POST['friendname']);
    @$email = addslashes($_POST['email']);
    @$subject = addslashes($_POST['subject']);
    @$message = addslashes($_POST['message']);
    @$youremail = addslashes($_POST['youremail']);

$mail = new PHPMailer();
    $mail->IsSMTP(); // send via SMTP
    $mail->Host = "localhost"; // SMTP servers
    $mail->SMTPAuth = true; // turn on SMTP authentication
    $mail->Username = "xxxxxxxx"; // SMTP username
    $mail->Password = "jjjjjjjj"; // SMTP password
    $mail->From = $youremail; // Your emailin your account
    $mail->FromName = "Your Title";// The From name you want to appear in the email
    $mail->AddAddress($email); //the receiver's email'
    $mail->WordWrap = 50; // set word wrap
    $mail->Subject = "$subject $name\n";
    $mail->Body = "Hi $friendname\n"
    . "$message\n "
    . " \n"
    . " Bye $name\n";
    if(!$mail->Send())
    {
    echo "Message was not sent <p>";
    echo "Mailer Error: " . $mail->ErrorInfo;
    exit;
    }
    header("Location: tell_a_friend.html"); // returnpage is the same page of the form or another of your choice.

?>

How do I add the script "Message not sent" ?

You do not have a script problem, you have a form problem. You have modified the "Tell a friend" button. It is no longer a submitbutton, but it has become a "On click" button, linked directly to the "thanku_tell.html" Page. The info is not evan submitted to the script, when you click on "Tell a friend" you go straight to the Thanktou page.

The same goes for the Reset button: it doesn't reset, you have also made it a "On click" button, with it's action set to refresh the page. It does reset, but because it reloads the page.

Also, both buttons are OUTSIDE the form area, this is why initially they didn't work, then you started touching here and there.

Also change the metatags; Page description, keywords, Author etc: they result to be still mine (as you have downloaded my original script and didn't edit these elements)
    Plese follow these steps:

1. open the page in Bv.
    2. stretch the form area towards the bottom of the page, enough to have the buttons inside the form.
    3. Copy the two buttons.
    4. Delete them
    5. Paste them using the Paste icon in the top toolbar (this way they will be pasted excactly in the same position).
    6. Double click on the Reset button, and edit it: make it "reset" instead of "On click"
    7. Do the same with the submit button, make it "Submit" instead of "On click"
    Save, Publish and try your form
    Navaldesign

Hey Naval,

I went back and corrected everything you told me to. The reset button works fine now and also it goes where it needs to go if you just click the submit button...goes to an error page. But when I put in a test info with my email address it still gives this error after I click submit:

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to localhost:25 in /home2/ooiroorl/public_html/class.smtp.php on line 105
    Message was not sent
    Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: connect_host

Can anyone help me correct this problem?

Please use myform to send me the entire php script, and also send me the .bvp file of the page with the tell a friend script. Or, send me your loggin info (IP, username and password) as well as your email password (the password used for your email account, the one used for sending the mail) and i will fix it for you.
    Navaldesign

Thanks Naval :).

Hello Navaldesign

I saw you script and it works great, now I think I am going to be a pain and ask the following, but still is going to be go for other users to.

Is there any change you can mod the exsisting code so it's either

Tell a Friend [FRIENDS NAME] @ [EMAIL] (SEND)
    OR
    Tell a Friend [EMAIL] (SEND)

With the added bonus of the content of the body of the email.

Because I am thinking of space

And the other question instead of going to another page, can the SEND change to DONE or SENT

Just a thought

Many thanks Wayne

It can be done easily: delete the additional fields from the TAF form. Just make sure that if you change the layout, all the fields and buttons are still in the form area. You can rearrange the fields, change colors, make them smaller, whatever you want.

Please also note that this TAF script has been posted when VH pollicy about email required SMTP authentication to send emails to an external (non VH) email address. Now it is not any more required, as this pollicy has changed, so you could simply create your own script, more or less like a form mailing script as described in the forms tutorials.
    Navaldesign

Question Re: Tell A Friend Script

Hiya Naval,

I *think* I've followed your instructions correctly, but have ended up with a problem when I click the "Tell a friend" button. I got the following error:

Message was not sent
    Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: data_not_accepted

I used my CPanel login information... should I have used my email password instead of the one I use for the CPanel?

The addy is: http://www.ccabincandles.com/tell_a_friend1.html

Apparently I've missed a step somewhere, or messed up something you've set up... have any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :)
    Kellie

Cozy Cabin Candles and Crafts
    http://www.ccabincandles.com

Talking Re: Tell A Friend Script

I have absolutely NO idea what happened, but it's decided to work, with no help from me. lol Thanks anyway!
    Kellie

Cozy Cabin Candles and Crafts
    http://www.ccabincandles.com

Cool Re: Tell A Friend Script

Hello

Sorry I am back again, I have uploaded the files in there own directory,
    and I have changed lines

18 $mail->Username = "USERNAME"; // SMTP username
    19 $mail->Password = "PASSWORD"; // SMTP password

22 $mail->FromName = "DOMAIN.com";// The From name you want to appear in the email

Saved this then went to tellafriend.php location

And I get

Message was not sent
    Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: recipients_failed

Want have I not done? Can you please advise

Many thanks Wayne

What do you mean "then went to tellafriend.php location " ? the script should only be accessed by the form, not directly. Please post here the URL of the tell a friend page so i can have a look.
    Navaldesign

Hi Naval
    I have had a go with your tell a friend script. I might have messed up the form? Anyway I can't get it to work.. I changed the tellafriend.php adding my user and pass, uploaded the three php files to my public directory and puplished the tell_a_friend1.html. When I press the send button I get a 404 on the tellafriend.php
    Any ideas what I have done wrong?
    Cheers

PS to last post... Just tried it with unaltered form html and it still does not work.

I have tried your Tell a Friend and it WORKS. It DOES send the mail. So, i suppose that the problem is that it doesn't find the
    "returnpage" and it gives you the error message. if you get a better look at the script, you will see that at the end, there is a line like

header("Location: returnpage.html"); // returnpage is the same page of the form or another of your choice.

You need to change the returnpage.html with the actual name of the page where the visitor will get redirected after he has used the TAF script.
    Navaldesign

Thanks Naval for the quick reply... I had not scrolled down to find the returnpage!!! All works fine now Thank you.
    Just one thing (why I said it did not work) When I sent message using my web e-mail it worked fine but when I sent it to my hotmail it did not. Any ideas?
    Cheers

I'm afraid not. The script makes use of the php mailer class, so it should work with ANY email address. If you still have problems, please let me know and i will eventually provide you with another script.
    Navaldesign

Exclamation Re: Tell A Friend Script

Hi,
    My name is Boris from Slovenia, Europe. I am new in Blue Voda. First want to say Hi to everyone. Can somebody help me how to activete tell a friend emails. I dont know how to put telafirend.php to server. Thanks

Hi Naval,

I got the same error of another site builder but you didn't post the fix last time.

I tried your site and it worked ok.

What's wrong? Is it a login problem? Am I supposed to use my cPanel login info or my email login info?

Many thanks in advance!

VMS

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to localhost:25 (Connection refused) in /home/seljtex/public_html/class.smtp.php on line 105
    Message was not sent
    Mailer Error: Language string failed to load: connect_host

Please post here the URL to your page with the TAF form. Are you sure you have uploaded all files, and given your email address in the script ?
    Navaldesign

Merry Christmas, General!

Just thought I'd let you know that I was thinking about you, and wished you the very best this Holiday Season and for the New Year.
    I will be in Tarpon Springs for Epifhany this year, and will remember you...

Thankyou Vasili,

Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year for you as well as for everyone in VodaLand!
    Navaldesign

I have been trying to add this to one of my articles to test it.

I have followed all the steps.

On submitting the form it shows that it is trying to load the '/tellafriend.php' page, which I have uploaded to my 'public_html folder'

However it doesn't redirect to the 'returnpage.html' which I have set up.

It show 'Cannot find server' page. So I guess it's doesn't not locating the php file I uploaded, or failing to open the returnpage.

Any pointers?

It seems to be the same problem blnda84 was having

The tell a Friend Script described here is now obsolete as VH servers now allow direct functioning of the php mail() function. So, just treat it as a normal form. If you have dificulties, just contact me
    Navaldesign

Let's see if I get this right: you mean the script isn't working anymore? If that's true, I just waisted a day to get it working on a new website.... Please tell me that's not true and that I just did something wrong that can be fixed in a matter of seconds...
    Please.......

No, i mean that you don't need any more such a complicated script. It will work the same. Also, it is the only one that will work if your server requires SMTP authentication
    Navaldesign

Wow Naval, you are going to fast :)
    So the script I installed SHOULD work, right?
    Well, it doesn't, so I must be doing something wrong.
    Could you please take a look at

http://www.couponearlywarningsystem..../diamond1.html

It's a subdomain. I installed all (3) files in the same folder as the page is. But for some reason no result.

It's a dejavu BTW. I had the same problem a couple of months ago on a different website. Managed to get it work then, but can't remember how :(
    Your expert advice would be great!

Ok, i can't know why this doesn't work, without access to your site. Anyway, tomorrow morning (it is 22:40 here) i'll post a new script for the TAF. Just upload that on the server and you will be ok.
    Navaldesign

Cool! Thanks. It's 22.45 overhere as well. I was pleasently surprised you were still answering questions.

Have a nice evening - what's left of it...

Carl

Script and thread updated.
    Navaldesign

Hi you all,

I just uploaded Navals new TAF script to a website. It took me less then 20 minutes and it works great.
    Even if you are a beginner, don't be afraid to try this. It's realy easy.

Carl

Hi Naval
    I have tried out my tell a friend on several computers now and it is all good when sent to somebody@server.com /co.nz etc. and it works fine with somebody@website.com but it will not send to somebody********.com (I havent checked yahoo mail). Either hotmails filters are killing the message or the script is not sending? Have I missed any mods to the mailer script?
    Please check out my tell a friend at the bottom of my homepage.
    Thanks in advance
    John

The server sends the mail ANYWAY. It doesn't know the difference between Yahoo, hotmail or other. Probably a hotmail. . that issue. I also saw that there is no "Your email" field. Did you download the script long ago ? Some 5 days ago it has been updated, and a field "Youremail "added. Excactly because hotmail (and some others) are blocking emails if there is no sender email address. Could be the reason. If you have the old version, it would worth downloading the new one, which is also MUCH easier to install.
    Navaldesign

Thanx Naval
    I've changed my TAF to the new script, works well and looks good. Still no luck with Hotmail... must be a Hotmail thing as you said!!

Hi.. About the TAF.php "Tell A Friend" form...I'm gonna try placing this into my site this week... So...Is it possible to add several email send to addresses in the TAF.php form..i.e... Can it be customized easily?? Thanks for all the help... Doug

Yes, it is easy. If you know some php.
    Navaldesign

Thanks it works beautifully. My next question. How can I save and then access the names and email address of of the people that have sent the forms? Somewhere there must be a floder or file?
    Thanks
    Kes

Technically it can be easily done. BUT, that would be considered spyware, and a violation of their privacy. The DON'T give you their email, you are stealing it.
    Navaldesign

Do the TAF pages have to be published in each folder that contains a page with a TAF button for this to work?

I hope I explained myself. I want to use the TAF button on several pages. Do i need to FTP the php file and publish the other 3 pages in that same folder for that TAF button to work on that page?

nevermind I figured out that you do have to publish them over, but they publish so fast that its not an inconvenience.

Great php script once again. Thanks Naval.

Quote Originally Posted by aconstas1
    nevermind I figured out that you do have to publish them over, but they publish so fast that its not an inconvenience.

Great php script once again. Thanks Naval.
    As the sript is now, yes, you need to publish it in all folders.
    But, if you change the links to absolute (including the path) in all pages, as well as in the form action, then you can only publish once and use it in all your folders.
    Navaldesign

Quote Originally Posted by navaldesign
    if you change the links to absolute (including the path) in all pages, as well as in the form action, then you can only publish once and use it in all your folders.
    If i change the links to who and do what? Is there another thread explaining this? It sounds like something I should know.

Links can be reletive (only the file / page name) or absolute (including the path to the file / page) .

The "tell a friend button is linked to the form popup by this link:

#" onClick="window.open('TAFform.html', '','width=310,height=170'); return false;"

if you change it to

#" onClick="window.open('http://www.yoursite.com/TAFform.html', '','width=310,height=170'); return false;"

you will be able to publish / upload the script only in your public_html, and call it from any folder
    Navaldesign

I can't seem to figure out why my form isn't working properly on a forum I put up. The TAF button is in the middle of the header on THIS PAGE.

The form pops up correctly
    If you fill it out correctly it works
    If you fill it out incorrectly it doesn't always bring up the TAFspamerror when it should.

Any ideas?

It seems to work ok. Please provide an example of values for the fileds that will not work ok.
    Navaldesign

I just put

steve@cnn.com

in all the fields, and it submitted just fine.

It's also happening on my site pages HERE.

It shouldn't matter that this is an add on domain right?

This is intended. The name fields will accept up to 1 @symbol. This is because many users use usernames instead of their real names so a @ symbol should be allowed.

If you wish to disallow the @ symbol from the name fields, just open the file TAF.php and edit the two lines that make the @ count: instead of >1 make it >0 (for the name fields only)
    Navaldesign

OK that makes sense. I'll leave it the way you made it. Thanks Naval

Hello I have followed all the directions to a tee and guess what it worked to a tee. The email was sent and recieved. However (the real reason I am here) when changing the script to my site www.reidsunlimiteddesigns.com the email to my friend is not a link. Is there a way to make it a link? It did not happen automatically then I tried to paste a linked text to the spot and still did not work.

Could someone help? Please
    fourreids

place the http:// in front of www. ....... in the form hidden field
    Navaldesign

Well it seems it has the looks of a link but it does not open the link

Question Re: Tell A Friend Script

Thanks for your help I followed all the steps except in the hidden fields of the form properties I cannot put my domian name in a link as your example show (underlined and highlighted) as below Is this why my button won't work?

Sarah

Thanks, General. I just used this on my current project and it's working great. You're the man!

I got this to work, thanks. One problem. my buttons say "no image found" and they are white. They still work, but I need an image on my buttons. I even downloaded the taf files again. Ideas?

Go on my site, on the example screen at http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/TAFbuttons.php

Right click on the image you like, select "Save image as" from the menu that opens when you rig***lick, and save the image on your computer. Open your BV page, and give the correct image path.
    Navaldesign

Thanks! I didn't see save image as, but it said save piture as, that worked. Thanks

Naval,

You have done it again! :) Thank you for a wonderful script. I installed it and it worked first time! Now I just have to find the time to install it on my site.

Will it work if I put it in my php script for the specials area? I suppose I could try it and see if that will make it propogate through the entire site at once!

Either way it is great! Thanks again!

Chris
    My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!

If you place it in the "included" page, then yes, it will propagate through the entire site.
    Navaldesign

Naval,

I got it to work fine and it is now on both of my sites inside of two minutes! :)

Great work!

BTW, did you ever get the message I sent you about my Picnic site being all out of alignment? I sent a form to your company a while ago but got no reply. I do have a thread with the info in it under the site reviews.
    My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!

Sorry, recieved no mail at all.
    Navaldesign

Naval,

Don't know why you didn't get it.. anyhow here is where you can read what my problems are:
    http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...-question.html

Cindy thought it might have to do with php script and told me to ask you, so could you have a look at it because it won't show up on mine as a problem but others are having it.

I just made my first sale on it, so I know one person got to read it okay and trusted me enough to order from me! Still I can't figure out why it won't display right for everyone!

Chris

Exclamation Re: Tell A Friend Script

i did the tell a friend pages and all is fine. but when i do a test filling up the actual form to send the page to a friend (which i use my email for testing purposes), i didn't receive any email.
    any idea?

Hi Naval,

Thank you very much for all the information. I tried to follow your directions and created the tafspamerror, tafreturn, tafmailerror and tell a friend pages in BV. I could not opend the file with TAFButtons I've downloaded from your site, but I copied one from the website itself. Looks like the button is linked correctly to the 'tell a friend' page, but once information is submitted I receive an error saying 'the webpage cannot be found...there might be a typing error in the address (e-mail addresses are ok)...if you clicked on a link, it may be out of date'. Reset button works fine. Did I miss something on the way or made errors, do I need to add HTML? I'm very new to all this, so anything is possible

Please help,
    Thank you
    m-ania
    www.chandagiftstudio.com

I can't find any of the script pages in your site. You have probably made your own pages. So i can't know what mistakes you might have done.

Please read again the instructions, and follow them to the letter.
    Navaldesign

Smile Re: Tell A Friend Script

Thanks Naval,

I think this may be a bit more for me that I originally thought. I'll try to work on it when I get more time.
    I appeciate your time to look at my issue.

m-ania
    www.chandagiftstudio.com

Hi Naval,

No questions or dramas ... just give yourself a pat on the back!

I downloaded your zip file, followed your instructions and guess what???

It Works ... Just like you said it should!!!

I've only put it on my .ws site at present.

Thanks for writing the script as this is a great little feature to help "spread the word".

Cheers,

This Tell a Friend message is very helpful. But, I'm having a problem on Step 2. I don't quite understand. I went on my File Manager, (Windows Explorer) and I can't find any option to upload anywhere.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Picture Perfect Totes

You can't upload with Windows explorer. Use your favourite FTP software. Blue FTP is just fine. Browse your computer to find the files (you must first unzip the downloaded zip, saving the files somewhere on your computer) , then upload them on your site
    Navaldesign

Hello Again. I found the BlueFTP and uploaded my file.
    Now, I'm having trouble with my TAF button page that I downloaded. I already unzipped them and pulled them into BV. When I open the page, there are only boxes with red x's in them. I can't see what the button looks like.
    Can you help me again?

Thanks for all of your help.
    Picture Perfect Totes

Please provide a link to look at..
    Navaldesign

Thanks again. I tested it and I got it to work!
    But one thing. When I tested it, I keyed in the email information and then I clicked the "close" button, and it closed off the whole entire website.
    How do I make it to where it just closes the email page and they stay on the website?

Thanks for all your help again.

Picture Perfect Totes

Hi Naval,

The spam menu pops up when I click the "Tell a friend" button.

Just enquire, we can't key the "@" for email address? The spam notice says "
    No user input @, http or www are allowed.
    Please go back to the form and edit your input!

Pls help. Thank you very much.
    Cheers,
    Eric PSF

PapaEric.com
    A Father's Parenting Diary & More...

Can you please provide a link to the page with yourTAF button ? so i can have a look ?

Seems strange.... so i have to see this.
    Navaldesign

Hi Naval,

Just an elaboration, what I meant is that the "Spam Menu" popout after I have completed filling up the details (i.e. my name, my email, friend's name & friend's email) and pressed "tell a friend" button.

The link is @ my main page www.BabyandPapa.com.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply!
    Cheers,
    Eric PSF

PapaEric.com

Please use my contact form and send me your TAF.php file, there must be something wrong with it.
    Navaldesign

Thumbs up Re: Tell A Friend Script

Hi George,

Thank you for solving the 'mystery' of the spam msg! And thank you for modifying the TAF file for me.

Nice day to you!

Regards,
    Eric
    Cheers,
    Eric PSF

PapaEric.com

Hi George,

Sorry to trouble you once again.

I hv tried to insert the link #" onClick="window.open('TAFform.html', '','width=310,height=170'); return false;" into a picture inside my forum (i'm using vBulletin); so that when being clicked it will pop-out the mini tell a friend form; but it doesn't seems to work.

Are there any special codes for the use of attachment of the link to a picture/ photos?

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Eric PSF

PapaEric.com

Not sure if you can do it, forum scripts usually assign their own targets to links.
    Navaldesign

Hi George,

I have managed to create a link in the forum by linking it as http://domainname.com/TAF.html. But do you hv any ideas in as how to set the width=310 and height=170 of the window??

Thank you very much.

Regards,
    Eric
    Cheers,
    Eric PSF

PapaEric.com

That is what i meant, you can't use the Javascript because the forum script strips it off. It works as entire page because there is no Javascript in a simple link.
    Navaldesign

Hi George,

Ic. Thank you for yr help and info.

Nice day!
    Cheers,
    Eric PSF

PapaEric.com

Hi Naval,

Good Day.

I am using your form already for "Tell a Friend", however, when i tested &/or "submit" it, it doesn't show me the thank you message. I also try testing to input an error email address but it doest return me with my Error Link Messages. I followed exactly your procedure stated above however i am affraid i missed one. I already uploaded TAF in my control panel & edited some of the portion like names of link. Here's the TAF format i copied from my control panel:

<?php
    # ----------------------------------------------------
    # -----
    # ----- This script was created by DB Technosystems.com
    # -----
    # ----- http://www.dbtechnosystems.com
    # -----
    # ----------------------------------------------------

// Receiving variables
    @$Subject = addslashes($_POST['Subject']);
    @$Mailbody = $_POST['Mailbody'];
    @$Friendsemail = addslashes($_POST['Friendsemail']);
    @$Youremail = addslashes($_POST['Youremail']);
    @$Yourname = $_POST['Yourname'];
    $Yourname = stripslashes($Yourname);
    $$Friendname = stripslashes($Friendname);
    $Mailbody = stripslashes($Mailbody);

// Validation

if (strlen($Friendsemail) == 0) {
    header("Location: MailerError.html");
    exit;
    }
    if (strlen($Youremail) == 0) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Friendsname , '@') > 1) {
    header("Location: SpammerError.html");
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Friendsname , 'www.') > 1) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Friendsname , 'http:') > 0) {
    exit;
    }
    if (! ereg('[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\@[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\.[A-Za-z0-9_-]+', $Friendsemail))
    {
    exit;
    }
    if (! ereg('[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\@[A-Za-z0-9_-]+\.[A-Za-z0-9_-]+', $Youremail))
    {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Friendsemail , '@') > 1) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Friendsemail , 'www.') > 0) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Friendsemail , 'http:') > 0) {
    exit;
    }

if (substr_count($Youremail , '@') > 1) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Youremail , 'www.') > 0) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Youremail , 'http:') > 0) {
    exit;
    }

if (substr_count($Subject , '@') > 0) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Subject , 'http:') > 0) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Subject , 'www') > 0) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Mailbody , '@') > 0) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Mailbody , 'http:') > 1) {
    exit;
    }
    if (substr_count($Mailbody , 'www.') > 1) {
    exit;
    }

//Sending Email to the Friend's email address
    $header = "From: $Yourname < $Youremail >" . "\r\n";
    $subject = $Subject;
    $email_to = $Friendsemail;
    $message = "Hi $Friendsname,\n"
    . "$Mailbody\n"
    . "\n"
    . "Bye, \n"
    . $Yourname;
    *****($email_to, $subject ,$message ,$header ) ;
    header("Location: Return.html");
    ?>

I am glad to receive feedback from you. Thanks & God Bless.

Best regards,

Dimz

Did you upload the error pages?
    if yes, please provide a link to the page with the TAF buton.
    Navaldesign

Red face Re: Tell A Friend Script

Hi
    My name is jackjack and I must be really dumb because I want to use this tell a friend form. I can't seem to get the knack of it. I need step by step Instructions. I am completly lost. I downloaded the TAF.php and that is as far as I got I am struck. Can someone please help.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

jackjack

If you read the very first post in this thread, you will see that it does contain step by step instructions
    Navaldesign

hi Navaldesign
    thanks for the script....works a treat!!!! :)

What exactly is TAF used for? To notify people when your site is debuting? Thanks,
    Sandi

To let spread the word about your website. An easy way to let more people know about your site.
    Navaldesign

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information