Thread: Zip files

Cool Zip files

Hi everyone,
    I have Vista (only for a short time so still finding my way lol) & somehow have "lost" the facility to open zip files. I tried, without success!, to get help from Microsoft, but they always use language for "experts" which I most definitely am NOT!!
    Could someone please explain - in kids language - how I can get this facility back??
    thanks a lot for any help,
    david

Default Re: Zip files

You say only for a short time? If its a trial version, maybe it has limitations.
    Have found this freebie easy to use.

Cool Re: Zip files

Quote Originally Posted by ahimsa View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have Vista (only for a short time so still finding my way lol) & somehow have "lost" the facility to open zip files. I tried, without success!, to get help from Microsoft, but they always use language for "experts" which I most definitely am NOT!!
    Could someone please explain - in kids language - how I can get this facility back??
    thanks a lot for any help,
    david
    Do wish to convert your vista trial to full version? Just ask mate.

Hi Chris & Flyer13 - no it's a full version. I've had it now for a few months actually. The zip opener worked just fine until about 2 weeks ago. I went to the Microsoft help site & posted the same query. They came back with a lot of instructions I didn't really understand, but I had the impression it would be quite easy to re-activate the zip opener if only I just knew how to follow their instructions!!!!
    Maybe it would be just as effective (& easier?) to download a freebie zip opener as you suggest?
    thanks anyway,
    david

well, a full version windows vista has a built in capacity to open compressed files. I have done so many times downloading trial software to open winzip files until just lately i realized the Vista OS is capable by itself. Goodluck.

Red face Re: Zip files

Hi Flyer 13,
    maybe I didn't explain the situation properly.....
    You see I HAD the built-in zip facility & used it successfully many, many times. Until recently that is, like maybe 2 weeks ago. Then suddenly it disappeared!! Obviously it was user- error i.e me! Since then I've tried to recover this built-in zip facility without success. I know about the free trial WinZip but it seems a shame that I can't somehow recover the built in Vista facility. Microsoft Help said there was a way but when they gave the instructions to do it I could not follow them.........maybe I should just go back to them & ask them nicely if they could talk me through the process step-by-step
    thanks anyway fopr trying to help,
    david

Sometimes viruses have the tendency to corrupt certain windows programs. When that happens without us knowing it, we cannot expect the functionality of our PC in full. There are settings to restore the computer's features at a point in time before it was corrupted. Although we may have to let go some saved files. Better sechedule regular viruscan every now and then to avoid anything worst to come.

I wouldn't just right to a virus, it could be any number of reasons. Its possible that the shortcut was accidentally moved, or some other simple reason.

Try using the computers help menu (hit F1 on your desktop). Do a search for zip, it might have a shortcut to utility built into the help text.

Also I wouldn't think of it as a shame for not being able to use the built in utility... I would think of it as a chance of using a superior zipping utility. (I joke, but generally there is always a better alternative to the utilities Microsoft provides by default).

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Tks Watdaflip - I agree I don't think it's virus-related either. I tried searching the help for Zip & it gave me the WinZip support site. I posted a request but I'm not optimistic :)
    I'm no lover of Microsoft either, I'm intrigued by your reference of a "superior zipping utility".....tell me more, if you please?
    david

There are any number of zipping programs to choose from. What I meant by superior is that for the most part when a copy or organization sets out to making a program its going to turn out to be a better program then one that Microsoft throws together to release with their OS.

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Wink Re: Zip files

I agree :) Any that you'd care to recommend?
    david

I would recommend WinRAR, its free to use (its kind of a trial, but if you don't purchase a copy after 60 days it just gives a prompt whenever you load, so you can continue to use it)

http://www.rarsoft.com/

Register/Login Script

Thread Information