Thread: Site review please

Default Site review please

Hello

More or less ready to submit this site to search engines but would appreciate comments, suggestions, errors noticed etc. before doing so

Site is www.repdomproperties.com

Thanks in advance

Adrian
    www.repdomproperties.com

Thumbs up Re: Site review please

No need to "submit" your site manually ... they will come by it naturally, which is the preferred method anyway!

Nicely done! I have always had in my mind to investigate how much an "estate sized parcel" on the hill overlooking Casa de Campo would go for, especially in this market!

Not much really wrong here at all. I went through all the pages, and took a good look: just some minor layout tweaks (cleaning up the images, alignment, etc.), but it looks like you spent the time necessary to get it all down just right.

Congratulations!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Default Re: Site review please

Hi, unfortunately your pages have a lot of side scroll for normal monitors. You are also building your pages to how it looks on your screen & not how BV recommends. Your pages are at 1207px wide & should be nearer the 985 mark. This might help.

Hi Adrian,
    ditto re side-scroll.....personal obs:

Would it be better, or not, to be consistent with the name of this beautiful half of Hispaniola? Either Republica Dominica or Dominican Republic?
    On the home page the link to contact form doesn't work
    history page: Haite or Haiti?
    .....it's - no " ' ", just its
    when his ship the Santa Maria ship crashed - no need for
    "ship" twice
    dis-satisfied - no hyphen

Santo Domingo:
    include the not only the unique cobblestone 2 X "the"
    streets but some of the oldest buildings in all of the
    Caribbean.<
    always be included in your visit
    The Botanicals gardens - no "s" in Botanicals
    almost unique sorry! 1 of my pet hates LOL - something is
    either unique (meaning one of a kind) or not! Hence it's
    not possible to be almost unique :)
    to still enjoy - still to enjoy
    Ok that's all the time I have right now, but I can check the other pages if you like later - BTW I have happy memories of the DR,
    david
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

I really like the color scheme of blues and the overall design is pretty good.
    Best Regards,

Robert A. Kerr

Hello to everyone and thanks for the comments and corrections all now hopefully amended.
    Vasili you should check it out there are a few "bargains" to be had and it is a great location.

Chris. I wish i had seen this at the beginning! I think this should be a Video Tutorial it sets everything out logically explaining the reasons for the sizes and the php version would certainly save a lot of work when items need to be changed. Just one question here. On the diagram you show for the Header/Side Bar/Footer do you actually mean placing boxes on the page as in the diagram and if so which tool do you use. It is a "Text Box" or "Image Box" for example.

Ahimsa. Thank you also for the page comment and the typo/grammatical errors all now duly corrected as is the contact link. Use of "/" instead of "." before php extension at fault! If you do spot any more please let me know.
    The mix of Dominican Republic and Republica Dominicana is an SEO matter as being a Spanish country the latter is the correct name and would be used by any Spanish speaking person in a search, even those who speak English so can understand the site if found. I am still looking to see if I can rearrange the text a bit to still use the two without it reading badly but I feel I need to keep the two versions in place. If you ever get the chance to come back to the DR let me know.

Robert thanks also for the comments. Have used similar colours with other sites in the past so have an bias towards blue.

Still some side scroll, but good job.
    Sharon Chajin

Chris. I wish i had seen this at the beginning! I think this should be a Video Tutorial it sets everything out logically explaining the reasons for the sizes and the php version would certainly save a lot of work when items need to be changed. Just one question here. On the diagram you show for the Header/Side Bar/Footer do you actually mean placing boxes on the page as in the diagram and if so which tool do you use. It is a "Text Box" or "Image Box" for example.
    Hi, if i'm setting up a php page, i tend to make up a complete template of all the things that are common to all pages, including menu, header images & so on, but making sure they can be broke down into different areas. This also includes the centre area that will be differant in the respect of images & text on each page. But still put the frame work in to place for this area of the page. So when you have saved this as 1 template, you would then break it down into 4 templates & each one of these will be an individual page that is already in the right position to be placed on your main page, very much like having a page with 3 extra layers. These areas are all brought together on one page with a bit of php script that is inserted in the html boxes. Basicly! when somone clicks on your page, the 3 bits of php code calls for the other pages to come together all on one screen.
    I tend to make the pages this way as you can push the html boxes in the top right corner & guarantee all will line up.

Wink Re: Site review please

Hi Adrian,
    OK - I understand the need for SEO optimisation...so, continuing-
    I noticed that these changes are still there?
    Santo Domingo: include the not only the unique cobblestone 2 X "the"
    streets but some of the oldest buildings in all of the
    Caribbean.<
    always be included in your visit
    The Botanicals gardens - no "s" in Botanicals
    almost unique sorry! 1 of my pet hates LOL - something is
    either unique (meaning one of a kind) or not! Hence it's
    not possible to be almost
    unique :)

Newly found:
    La Romana: "...
    the restaurants found whilst while strolling..." - either
    "whil
    st" or "while" - not both
    Punta Cana: "...
    pina colada amongst the most well known."<
    "
    Charters for groups are readily available either your own
    private group or joining a mixed charter.
    " What about:
    "Charters for groups are available
    : exclusively for your own
    private group, or by joining others"

"
    Although the night life starts late,.." - maybe "early" is
    better?

"
    The first one is located in Isla Catalina and even though is a
    very small island being only 6 square miles has many special
    features such as a superb coral reef which is perfect for
    scuba diving, an array of sand dunes and a mangrove
    swamp."
    It's your site, of course, but I would write this para. so:
    "The first one is located on Isla Catalina. Even though it is a
    very small island - only 6 square miles - it has many special
    feature
    s: a superb coral reef which is perfect for scuba
    diving, an array of sand dunes and a mangrove swamp."

"
    Many tourists simply come here..."
    "
    The second is the beach on Isla Saona."
    Samana: "...
    not-to-be-missed..."
    Santiago: "...
    anywhere, however, after dark.."
    "...anywhere. After dark, however,..."

OK - I haven't yet checked "Other Services" & "Legal Matters"....soon LOL
    Other comments: all the "Rabbit" pages load slowly, due to heavy content probably? but just so you know.
    AND, why haven't I yet seen any reference to "Sosua" My fondest memory of DR but many years ago - can be it has simply disappeared as I knew it?? Hope not.
    Enjoyed reading about the island again.
    david

Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Hi Chris and David. Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I think I have done them all this time lol!
    I have done a revision of the index page using the recommended layout Chris suggests which can be viewed at www.repdomproperties/Test10.html I would appreciate your opinions as to whether this is better than the current live version. If so I will use this to redo the rest of the pages on the site.

Thanks a lot for all the help. By the way Sosua has not disappeared I am working on the page for this which will be up on line soon and as you say it is still one of the nicest places here.

Yes the "Rabbit" pages are slow to load but as this is linked to the "point2Agent site" where the properties are listed on their database I can't do anything about it. The property listings are almost equally as slow when accessed direct from that site. As you say nodoubt due to the heavy content.

Kind regards
    Adrian
    www.repdomproperties.com

Hi, links is not working?

Adrian,
    flattered that you took all my suggestions on board :)
    still getting side-scroll but all else looks real nice!
    david
    PS - happy to hear that about Sosua....watching for your report he-he

Duh! Left of the .com....Should be http://www.repdomproperties.com/Test10.html
    Sorry!!

David, Thanks your revisions were first class and definitely improved the reading of those sections. Would appreciate your opinion also on the link given above as this should remove the side scroll and I think improves the look of the site altogether.

Knd regards

Adrian

Looking a lot better. One small thing that needs a touch of adjustment is the background image http://www.repdomproperties.com/bv01228.gif wants sending to the back as in Fire Fox it is nearly touching the words"Dominican Republic Ocean Front Properties" & i think sending it to the back might solve this.

Hi Chris. Thanks I agree and have already changed most of the pages to use this format. It has enabled keeping the size of the "logo" consistant throughout all the pages which looks much better as well. Regarding the background when I checked the page in BV I realised it had slipped up a bit which I hadn't noticed and wasn't so obvious in IE which I use. I have moved it back to where it should have been so hopefully resolved that issue. I am working to finish the rest of the pages so will let you know when the whole revised site is up.

Thanks once again

Adrian
    www.repdomproperties.com

Hi Chris & David

New look site now up and live with the new format and layout...including Sosua David. Hope you like it and it brings back some good memories. I think all is now ok and I personally think the revised layout, as suggested by Chris, is a great help in ensuring the pages all look the same and makes setting out the information, text, pictures etc so much easier and produces a far better result overall. I reiterate my recommendation that this should be a video tutorial. I am sure it would help a lot of people to get it right the first time and not have to redo it.

Thanks once again for all the help, advice, suggestions etc.

Adrian
    www.repdomproperties.com

Wink Re: Site review please

Hi Adrian,
    Looks REALLY good :)
    "Other Services": couldn't find anything!!
    "Legal Matters": OK, now here I step into quite 'warm' water, he-he.........
    Property purchase in the Dominican Republic differs in many aspects to the procedures you may be used to in Europe, Great Britain or the United States
    All I will say is, 'Great Britain is "IN" Europe whether one likes it or not!? Possible alternative: "....used to in the US, UK or other parts of Europe."
    Your site....your call LOL

The close proximity of the Puerto Plata Gregorio Luperón International Airport with both charter and regular flights to world wide destinations has encouraged many people to choose this part of the country as their home. This has encouraged a wide range of new developments so that now you will find a whole range of properties available in this area ranging from condo apartments to large mansion properties set in extensive grounds and valued at several millions of dollars.
    I would prefer either "...several million Dollars." or
    "...millions of Dollars."

Your visit to Sosua can be as calm and relaxing as you wish by lounging around the resort pools or on the beach or as adventurous as you desire with the safari’s and other activities. One thing for sure is that if you don’t decide to stay here permanently you will take home memories of the Caribbean and the Dominican Republic you will never forget.

Nothing wrong with that, Adrian.
    CU,
    david
    PS - NO side-scroll....ANYWHERE...yippee!

Hi David....thanks again. I also debated the wording over the UK but wanted to draw attention to the fact that there are dfferent systems even in the UK between England and Scotland and they are different to the various systems in Europe as well. Your suggestion gets around that and will save offending anyone at the same time. Other suggestions also taken on board and revised accordingly.

Thanks for al the help and the kind words about the site. I am a lot happier with it now and still have some new stuff to add but the templates make it so much easier.

Kind regards

Adrian
    www.repdomproperties.com

I am going to check it out....I need to learn more about how to improve my site too....

WOW!!!
    You are a professional Adrian....

I working on my site but your look AWESOME...I wonder if I will ever get my site to or near as good as your.

www.letstalkboxing.com

I often check out the forum here and the how to do this and that but at time its very confusing for me.

Exclamation Re: Site review please

BE CAREFUL, everyone -clicking on this site gets a big WARNING from Firefox! www.letstalkboxing.com
    david

Is that good or bad?

Hi, the page has moved up to 1200'ish again?

Hmm what does that mean?

Hi Chris.....not sure what caused that but it is back to where it should be now! And thanks for all the helpful advice and pointers. I now have the templates to use over and over again.

Hi Armando.. Thanks for the comments much appreciated. You can do but read the advice from Chris on setting up the pages it will save you a lot of grief and nakes things so much easier. If it helps I used the "Shape" tool which is next but one to the image box tool on the top of the control panel to mark out the page to the sizes Chris recommends. You can the add the appropriate template for the top of the site on this and add images or text boxes to fit. If you also use the ruler guides found in Layout it makes lining everything up easy too.

Good luck

Kind regards
    Adrian
    www.repdomproperties.com

Cool Re: Site review please

Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Is that good or bad?
    Armando - in case you don't know & maybe I'm overreacting but here's what the Mozilla add-on says:

WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites - green to go, yellow for caution and red to stop – helping you avoid the dangerous sites. Surf safer and add WOT to your Firefox now.

...and when I clicked on your site I got a big WARNING: "very poor reputation for trustworthiness, legal content, etc.

Maybe it's good that you're aware of it anyway,
    david

David and Adrian,

Thanks you for your advice. I was not aware of this...I will see how I can make my site safe for everyone. Honestly now I don't know where to start or do.....I don't want to scan anyone I just want to have a website for boxing fans to read press releases, and check out the photos...

Any advice is very much appreciated...I sure need it..

Hi Papa...thanks for the comments. Glad you liked the site The site it links to unfortunately I can't do very much with and I am aware the links are slow but again nothing I can do with that as they not me administer it. I can do some limited work on that site but not what I would really want to do which is to mirror my own.

Hi Armando. My advice is to use the setting out procedure Chris mentions in his post above. That will get rid of all the excess "side" your site has now. I know it's a pain redoing it but the good thing on here is what is currently on a page you can "copy" and "paste" on to a new one and it keeps all the links etc on pictures etc. Much easier than having to do the whole lot again.
    And it is worth the time and effort involved
    Good luck

Just an update. The site has already been "googled" I am happy to say and having gone through their webmaster checks it has a clean bill of health. So once again my thanks for all the help, suggestions and comments.

Regards
    Adrian
    www.repdomproperties.com

Nice looking website. Pleasing colours and layout. Please note however that if I select "weather forecast" or "weather maps" I'm whipped right out of your website with only my browser buttons to bring me back. I'd suggest making your links for these pages open on a new page and not forcing your visitor to leave and possibly get distracted and not return.

Adrian,

I will do that

Thread Information