Thread: Adding Google +1 Button

Default Adding Google +1 Button

Hi guys

I’m trying to insert Google plus 1 button on my page a whole day without any success. I wrote Tom’s thread which you can see here: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/google-yahoo-bing/62891-add-google-1-bluevoda-wordpress.html and on the other hand the email I received from vodahost the other day where you can check it our here: http://www.vodahost.com/web-hosting-why-you-need-the-google1-button.html/

Everything is looking very easy and strait forward but it did not work for me. I can do that in 5 clicks of the mouse but the button still does not appear. The only difference is that Bluevoda place the code in the “Between Head Tag” section and the code looks like this:

<script type=”text/javascript” src=”https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js”></script>

and Tom recommends to insert the code in the End of Body” tab and the code he provide is a bit different. Anyway the rest is the same. You paste <g:plusone></g:plusone> in an HTML box and upload the page. I tried the both ways but the button still does not appear. Also I download the latest version of Blue Voda software in case mine is out of date and still no joy. Any help I’ll appreciate. Thanks

Cool Re: Adding Google +1 Button

>> How to ask for assistance

OK, so per Forum Decorum, what is the URL to your site??

That is assuming you have published as the same Tutorial clearly points out, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finley View Post
    * The button will not appear until you PUBLISH your page.
    It is unlikely that this simple method works flawlessly for hundreds of others, but will not perform singularly for you .... without a URL to visit, it is impossible to assist you.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Default Re: Adding Google +1 Button

Hi Vasili

The URL is www.housepaintingideas.net and yes the page has been published using Tom’s method I’m still on it and trying to figure it out.

Vilio, the html on your page is correct--I pasted it into a page on my site and it worked fine. I'm wondering if you've created a Google profile for yourself? That may be the problem. Let me know if that works and I'll ask Vasili to edit the sticky. ... DONE, Tom. Take a look - since it's free and does no harm, creating an account ipso facto is now "required"
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Question Re: Adding Google +1 Button

I have had exactly the same problem, and tried both methods as set out in the first post. I would be interested in finding out where I am going wrong on this as it gets frustrating after 3 hours of failure.

www.landscapedepot.co.uk

I don't see the code anywhere on your page, nbrown.

Hi Tom, I don’t have any Google profiles at all but I tried the code on other website and it works man. I don’t know what’s wrong with that one but definitely something is not right. I gave up I spent too much time trying I don’t want to waist another day. I guess housepainitngideas.net will be without Google plus 1 button. Thanks

vilio--I've been googling this quite a bit. One blogger I came across claims that the +1 button sometimes conflicts with other javascript on a page. That's the only other thing I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finley View Post
    I don't see the code anywhere on your page, nbrown.
    Tom, sorry I removed the code but will try again tomorrow.
    Thanks

Hello Tom
    Added code still not working, I entered the code in the end of body as shown.
    Any Ideas where I am going wrong
    Thanks

www.landscapedepot.co.uk
    Last edited by nbrown; 08-08-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: website address

Hey, nbrown--I'm out on my feet and it's time to hit the bed here in Hawaii. I'll check it tomorrow, first thing. Hopefully someone will have it spotted by then.

Best wishes.

Thanks Tom

Incidently I added the plus 1 button to my other site www.stovedepot.co.uk without a problem.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by nbrown View Post
    Thanks Tom

Incidently I added the plus 1 button to my other site www.stovedepot.co.uk without a problem.

Thanks again
    <script type="text/javascript">
    (function() {
    var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;
    po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);
    })();
    </script>

This above is what is on the Landscape page ....

(function() {
    var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);
    })();
    </script>

The above is on the Stove site. The same script - no problem.
    And, on the Stove site, your BV HTML Box with the proper code:

<div id="bv_Html1" style="position:absolute;left:767px;top:81px;width :55px;height:30px;z-index:58;" align="left">
    <g:plusone></g:plusone></div>

It's on your Landscape site also:

<div id="bv_Html1" style="position:absolute;left:717px;top:115px;widt h:71px;height:34px;z-index:29;" align="left">
    <g:plusone></g:plusone>

But, as you say .... it's not showing - for whatever reason. Not being a Coder, I have to rely on my visually omparing what I can find, and I don't see anything wrong, and therefore tend to think it is all about the way it was done, or the manner of installation or publishing which may have been different.
    By the way ... where is the button suppsed to be, anyway? It is not clear where it might have been placed ... just curious (as if it may have some influence too, on the overall issue).

Something of a reluctant Pro when it comes to Google +1, I pretty much would focus the most attention to those troubeshooting efforts (precise implementation, duplication of what worked and analyzing the processes, the implementation) to find out where things went awry.

When it comes to things like this, all things being equal, you're pretty much on your own since none of us can know for sure exactly what you did or how you did it on the computer in front of you that we can't see, touch, or examine ourselves. Did the best from this side of the Net, but that's all I can do, it seems!

Good Luck.

Hi Vasili

Thank you for your input.
    The Landscape Depot link I attempted first, 3 hours later still no luck. I then placed the +1 button on the stovedepot site (same principal used) success.
    I then went back to the landscape depot site made sure there was no code present from my previous attempt, I then adopted exactly the same principal used on the stove depot site and placed the code correctly without success.
    Incidentally the button was placed to the left of where it says vacancies.

Thanks

Nigel

Hi nbrown,

I had the same problem and found the solution that worked for me was simply dragging the html box from the page to the background and right clicking on it then clicking on "move to front" or "move forward" (can't remember which) a number of times. Don't really know why this worked but think it may have something to do with using "shapes".

Wink Re: Adding Google +1 Button

Quote Originally Posted by Paulk2 View Post
    ... clicking on the HTML Box > right-click "move to front" or "move forward" ......think it may have something to do with using "shapes".
    Yes, Paul .... that is such a "given" in my mind, I miss the opportunity to always remind people to make sure all these things need to be ON TOP, meaning make sure you manually "MOVE TO FRONT" before Saving and Publishing.

LOL! And no, it has nothing to do with using "shapes" ... ya made me smile wide early today!

Sorry about that guys, I should have made it a bit more clear, I have updated the article. Click the below and read the last part...

http://www.vodahost.com/web-hosting-...1-button.html/

Dont forget to click the like button ;)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Glad you added "How To Add" uisng BlueVoda!!

But ... there seems to be a conflict of exactly where to add the code: in the revised instructions, you mention "Between Head" whereas in Tom's 'Tip' we've all been using successfully here in VodaTalk, it is "End of Body" ....

Also, pasting in the Javascript you show (as does Google by default), this will generate the default style and size button with a counter. I (as many) prefer to "customize" my button using the generator Google provides, and this generates different code and the codex below the generator seems to have different placement instuctions as well.

I have successfully used my custom code on a "Main" page/site as seen HERE, and have also used it successfully for a sub-directory page/site (which requires modifying the code itself with a "href" string) as seen HERE without any problem using the "End of Page" method.

So ... tell me what the real story is so I can edit Tom's Tip, or what to do now??? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasili View Post
    Yes, Paul .... that is such a "given" in my mind, I miss the opportunity to always remind people to make sure all these things need to be ON TOP, meaning make sure you manually "MOVE TO FRONT" before Saving and Publishing.

LOL! And no, it has nothing to do with using "shapes" ... ya made me smile wide early today!
    Didn't work for me still the same, I had already checked this unfortunately.
    Must be some other reason! I will keep on trying.

www.landscapedepot.co.uk

Thanks

Nigel

Hey guys - first, let me point out that when you are adding
    a Google+1 Button to a web-page with BlueVoda, the page must
    be published and live on the Internet for the +1 Button to
    appear. You will not see a +1 button in preview mode.

As for where to add the code, there seems to be a little
    confusion...

The code in the article works, with the JavaScript in the
    <head></head> section and the <g:plusone></g:plusone>
    wherever you would like the +1 Button to appear.

This mode of code will add a standard size +1 button to your
    web-page with a count of how many +1's the URL in question
    has (you can specify which URL to +1 on any website page) -
    You can add this code anywhere you like in the page's source
    code without restrictions.

The confusion seems to be coming from the fact that Google
    has been clever and added a way for the Google+1 script to
    load asyn******usly from the rest of the page. Google says
    that this is so that the loading of the +1 button does not
    effect the time that it takes the page to load – Page load
    time is a Google ranking factor, don't forget!

Therefore:

1) If you want a standard size +1 button for your website
    (which +1's the URL http://www.example.com/) without using
    the Asyn******us loading feature

<!-- Place this tag in your head or just before your close body tag -->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>

<!-- Place this tag where you want the +1 button to render -->
    <g:plusone href="http://www.example.com/"></g:plusone>

2) ... same as the above but without the +1 count

<!-- Place this tag in your head or just before your close body tag -->
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>

<g:plusone count="false" href="http://www.example.com/"></g:plusone>

3) To add a standard size +1 button that loads
    asyn******usly and saves page-load time, add the below HTML
    to your web-page:

<g:plusone href="http://www.example.com/"></g:plusone>

<!-- Place this tag after the last plusone tag -->
    (function() {
    })();
    </script>

Full details are here: http://code.google.com/apis/+1button/

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Sorry to disappoint but none of those work (for me anyway)

I finally went to get the code again from Google and that doesn't work either.

www.landscapedepot.co.uk

Can't see what else I can do.

Thanks

Nigel

Thanks for the clarifications, General!

I'm sure nbrown will report back to let us know what works for him. The only other thing I've heard that may be an issue is conflicts with other javascript on the page. To test for that, I'd publish a test page that's a duplicate of the original but removing other javascripts one at a time to see if that solves the problem.

We cross-posted there.

Hi guys I already made the tests and as Tom says it looks like is a conflict with other javascript. The reason that I can’t get the button to show up is the light box that I’m using. I tested on another page on the same website and you can see the button here: http://www.housepaintingideas.net/privacy-policy.html and that’s using Tom’s Tip.

Nbrown I looked your web sites and I’ve got a solution for you. On your web http://www.landscapedepot.co.uk/ you have used a light box to display an image in the middle of your page “Rolawn” and another one in your left sidebar “Landscape Depot at Hancock and Brown”. All you have to do is to delete those ones and especially the one in your sidebar because you’ve got it on the every single page and that’s causing the problem of not showing your Google plus button. Give it a try man I’m pretty sure that will work for you just insert your images using the button on the top: “Insert > Image”

Unfortunately that’s not going to work for me as I’ve got interior decorating web sites and they all have light boxes on every single page. I hope some of you guys can find some solution for me as well. Thanks

Nbrown please let as know how you getting on all right

Thanks for clearing that up, vilio. I may be the only person in the world that plusone'd a privacy policy page!

wow thank you for the discussion:)

Thumbs up Re: Adding Google +1 Button

Quote Originally Posted by vilio View Post
    Hi guys I already made the tests and as Tom says it looks like is a conflict with other javascript. The reason that I can’t get the button to show up is the light box that I’m using. I tested on another page on the same website and you can see the button here: http://www.housepaintingideas.net/privacy-policy.html and that’s using Tom’s Tip.

Nbrown I looked your web sites and I’ve got a solution for you. On your web http://www.landscapedepot.co.uk/ you have used a light box to display an image in the middle of your page “Rolawn” and another one in your left sidebar “Landscape Depot at Hancock and Brown”. All you have to do is to delete those ones and especially the one in your sidebar because you’ve got it on the every single page and that’s causing the problem of not showing your Google plus button. Give it a try man I’m pretty sure that will work for you just insert your images using the button on the top: “Insert > Image”

Unfortunately that’s not going to work for me as I’ve got interior decorating web sites and they all have light boxes on every single page. I hope some of you guys can find some solution for me as well. Thanks

Nbrown please let as know how you getting on all right
    Vilio
    You have solved this one, I removed all the lightboxes off the page and the button appeared.

www.landscapedepot.co.uk

I tried the same on other pages which display lightboxes and on the stovedepot site, and the plus1 button does not appear.

I am hoping there is a fix for this as some of the most important content I have is on pages including lightboxes.

This shows how important it is to discuss problems on forums.

Well Done!

Many Thanks to Tom as well

Nigel
    Last edited by nbrown; 08-09-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: alteration

I’m glad that you fixed Nbrown and as you said I’m hoping the creators of bluevoda fix that as from now on this button is going to be very important and I want to get it on my pages as well.

Thread Information