Hi, I'm a new user and have some really basic questions. I apologize in advance if I missed a post related to this or tuned out during a crucial point in one of the Tutorials (which by the way are pretty great.)
I actually have several questions but I believe the theme is consistent so hopefully I am not messing up posting protocol.
I have decided to work with a width of about 960 px since my research seems to indicate that is a new minimum (although there are plenty that still insist on the 800x600). I checked out your templates - and you have some really neat designs - but most of them are too small. And stretching the one I like makes the side bar too wide and makes the resolution of the rest of the image choppy. I read the post Help Formatting BV template, and although it gave me some good ideas for other issues, I don't think it would work here; the template I am referring to is m114a template in the s10 file, and it has a nice looking curve. Stretching makes the curve very choppy, and trying to minimize the side bar would require me to create a box that duplicates the curve. I also downloaded the more 'finished' template nt3, mainly because it also had a nice curve in the header, but although the stretching worked fine, the embedded image in the header is not really appropriate for my purposes. So now I'm thinking of just creating my own. This brings me to the first set of questions:
1. Can anything be done to easily stretch the m114a template and maintain the proper proportions?
2. Can the embedded image in the nt3 Header be replaced or erased without damaging the colour and design of the grain?
3. If I create my own header, can I 'embed' an image into it? I don't want full colour, but rather an effect like creating a background or watermark. I didn't see this option in the image editing tool so I was not certain.
4. (Warning: this may be a stupid question). When saving your template, the tutorial just shows the basic design being saved. But I would think that all elements and links that you wish to be consistent (ie. Background texture, menu bars and links, footer) should be saved as a part of the template. Is this true? Or do I have to insert those elements separately into every page? What is worrying me are the several posts that refer to their elements 'misbehaving' as a result of improper saving of the pages. So I am concerned that using 'save as' when creating a new page that is based on the template links/elements would also mess things up. So what elements can safely be saved as part of the template?
5. Clarification regarding naming and saving pages. I know that I have to save the home page as 'index', but if I understood the tutorial correctly, I can name the home page (in Properties) as anything I want - preferably something appropriate. So I don't have to identify the index page anywhere else within the page? That doesn't seem right somehow, but that's my current understanding. Correct?
6. (Slightly off topic - sorry). Is there any link to an index that identifies what the various commands really do? Your tutorials go through some of the most common ones, but there are quite a few vague ones. Ie. The image tool 'resample'. I have no idea what it does and do not see any real change when I use it. I did notice that if my background pattern is not previewing properly, and I 'resample' the image where the background doesn't appear, it fixes the problem.... but I still have no idea what it does.
Sorry about the length. Feel free to delete or edit the post if inappropriate or too long. But it may be helpful to other beginners.