Thread: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

Question Any advice for better keyword rankings??

Hi everyone.....

i just added more content on my webpage in an effort to get better rankings on alexa and someday be seen on yahoo or google. As i was reading the posts i noticed that (alien) mentioned www.widexl.com .... so i went thier and tried my results and here they are...

1. "Title": "content" is at 57% (red) <--- any suggestions on how to fix?

2. "Description": tag has 139 (green) <--- i think im ok here.

3. "keywords": tag contains to many "charactors". (red) (188...max should be 500
    (Charactors?? what are they even talkin about?.. what charactors?)

4. "keywords": tag contains to many "keywords". (red) 48 ..max should be 20
    (Is this accurate? only 20 allowed?? if so which ones should i keep? should i s**** the ones that have super high competition? and just use my niche keywords)

5. "keyword": tag contains "stop words" (orange) ......the,at,to,from,make
    (does this mean if i have.."work at home business", that i should just ditch the word "at" and type in "work home business" ??)

6. Keyword: tag contains "popular words" (orange) "best and free"
    (so should i remove all keywords with these in them??)

7. keyword: "relavancy page content" fair (red) at 69%
    (should or do i need to insert more keywords in my content after new ones are inserted??)

8. Author: tag contains 16.. (green) i guess i spelt my name right..lol.:)

Well thats the break down it gave me ,and what im asking for is if someone could help me figure out how to add the right keywords and answer these Questions in "LAYMAN" terms please im not an internet guru..just yet. I would be able to get out of the 3 million ranking that alexa has given me,(which was at 4 mil before i added content and dumped most of the banners i had.) i would ask anyone who has had good success in ranking to give me any and all advise they can. i have listed my web site down below. i appreciate any help somone could give.

thank you
    malcolm1

http://www.biz-giant.com

Bethers is offline Major General & Forum Moderator

Default Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

You need to re-do a lot. First, you don't put ANY words in the keyword meta that are not on THAT page. And no page should really be going for more than 3-5 keywords/keyword phrases. Add the plurals and you'll be at 6-10 - so 20 as a max is a good idea. Your description should be different on each page, should use the top keywords for the page - and should accurately describe what will be found on the page. The title should be your top keywords -

I'm not sure what your site is about - but worrying about your Alexa ranking is not worth it. Alexa is really about business to business - so, again, unless that's what your site is - that's not a big concern.

How you write the text on your pages if of VERY big importance. It best be original and not spammy - and be good for the people coming to your site - in other words, it best not be written for the se's first. Write all this for your visitors/customers first - then double-check it for the se's.

As to words like at, etc in keywords - if you do searches on the keyword trackers - those words are not included - se's ignore them - so they don't do you any good. For using on the page, you would use "work at home business" - but in your keywords, you'd most likely have work, home business.

Hope this helps.

Hi Beth, I did as you and Amanda advised me few days ago, and I got 100% on title, keywords and page description.
    Also Davidindalicia was involved in geting mo on the right track.
    Thank you again
    Ciao
    Alas

thanks for the very helpful input. i have redone all keywords and will continue to try and tweek it some more. i have been trying to find niche keywords to use but most are already worthless. for instance "home based business" is like worthless, over 10 million others are using it and comes back very poor,but i did find some and am using them. here are the new stats:

title meta tags contains no errors tag is at.. 80 ..GREEN
    title relavancy to page is (very good) content shows 82%

description: meta tag no errors. Green tag contains 127 charactors
    description to relavancy to page content is very good 85%

keywords: tag no errors...Green
    keywords tag contains 20 keywords and 336 charactors
    keywords: relavancy to page content is good 80% <--need to improve

Robots: found no robots meta tag. (says not needed but helpful to robots)orange

like i said i will be trying to fine tune this a little more and try and find some more niche keywords to enhance the keywords list. i will keep ya posted on how good the final results are. thank you very much for all your help!

I just published my site last night, could someone take a look at my keywords and let me know how sadly they are lacking? if that is possible
    I really want to make a strong go with my website.

sugarplum
    www.sugarplumstudios.com

Sugarplum, First - and you probably don't want to hear this - grand opening sales on line are not a good thing. People shopping online want to believe you've been there for a long time. So, get rid of that LOL - you can still do specials, but you don't have to say it's because you're new.

Now, if you happen to have a real brick and mortar store and this is your first time bringing it online, then you can try to do what you are.

So - get rid of anything saying new, etc etc.

Now, as to your question about meta - obviously they don't match the page right now - because you haven't written the page as it needs to be written - which should be as it will be when you are finished - and it could hurt you with se's in the meantime because the meta doesn't match the page.

You also have no title on the page - except index - and you need the page to have your best keywords in the title.

Here's what you have in your description: Vintage inspired with a Shabby Chic appeal Boutique infant headband and **** sets

My question to you - is anyone searching using those words? Unfortunately, I don't see the words vintage or shabby chic used with the word infant in ANY searches - which means you need to rethink - as it does you no good to come in first for keywords and phrases that no one is using - unless you also are using words and terms they ARE using and are placing well for those, too.

Very good! That is exactly what I was wanting to hear, good sound advice, I will try and tweek everything you have suggested.
    Thanks so much

sugarplum

Bethers,

I went in and did some revisions, how does it look now? And yes I really agree, it did sound rather lame and unstructured.
    Again, thanks for the critique

sugarplum

It's doing better - more suggestions - use your name with the spaces in it - the url doesn't have them because it can't - but no reason you can't make it look good and natural - your name is Sugar Plum Studios not SugarPlumStudios - also, in your title - the keywords should be first - so Baby ***** | Headbands from Sugar Plum Studios would be better.

I tried to go to the gallery - but after 2 minutes of waiting for your header to download, I closed it - you need to optimize that pic very badly. Also, you need a title on that page other than Untitled Page.

Remember, the se's see the page if you publish it - and that's what the info is you're giving them - not something they'll want to come right back to see again soon.

Bethers,

Thank you so much, your advise is very appreciated.

sugarplum

Thumbs up Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

0k.... ive been working on getting better ranking words and tweeking the site and here are the new numbers...

TITLE: title meta tag contains no errors 80 charactors.... GREEN
    title relevancy to page content is VERY GOOD now at 89%

DESCRIPTION: meta no errors 127 charactors....GREEN
    Description relavancy to page content is VERY GOOD at 87%

KEYWORDS: meta tag contains no errors....GREEN 20 keywords
    keyword relavency to page content is Good and at 85%

I thank you very much for your generous help and time in explaining the keyword problems i was having. i know you also told me not concern myself with the (alexa rankings) but its the only way i truely know if im getting better results or not by the numerical figures that it offers.

Heres the OLD numbers and the NEW that im now getting back....

OLD # 4,945,513 alexa rankings.... before optimizing keywords and title

NEW # 1,730,543 alexa rankings.....after optimizing keywords and title

As everyone knows of course the lower the number the better your ranking. "while many would say those numbers are still not impressive", because for alexa you must be below 100,000 to be competitive.... its the fact that making those changes dramatically changed the overall rank.
    again much thanks to you for all your help!

I will keep "tweeking" the keywords in an attempt to get all to 95-100%

OK... now in an effort to gain link popularity i have added pages to my site 1 page that IS called links which will be to link up with other sites for better popularity and 2 others for adding richer content and.. ect ect.

QUESTION ?: Do i use the same keywords for these new pages in other words..(do i copy and paste from index to new pages) OR can i add 20 more different keywords like mispelled ones or totally different from the ones in index page or front page.

any help you or anyone else could give would be greatly appreciated.

Well I haven't been around much latley so what the hell. I will just view your index page.

1. Lets begin with spelling based on the Oxford English Dictionary:

doesnt >> doesn't or better does not

thereselves >> themselves

possably >> possibly

isnt >> isn't or better is not

tomarrow >> tomorrow

thier >> their

wouldnt >> wouldn't or better would not

DOESNT >> does't or does not

Entreprenuer >> entrepreneur

This is just a brief list, there are more.

2. Content I wouldn't elaborate too much but this phrase"Your home based business opportunity is here and can and will get you out of debt" the word "your" should be takin out its' a stop word. In fact the whole phrase should be redone too many stop words. It will drive down your relative content.

3. Page is to wide 800px across maximum.

4. Keywords 250-260 max the keywords used should be relative to your content. Stop words like your, to, it, what, on, ect... are not keywords.

5.source code I see <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <TITLE>xww.biz-giant.com profitable home based business with proven income opportunity.</TITLE>

The title should reside before characterset.

I hope this may help a little. I can rattle on all day about this stuff, seo is complex, but there are basic rules to follow. Take the time to learn it is well worth it. Rock on!!! pet121

Cool Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

Well i thank you for your advice and help pet121. i will try and change what you have suggested to see if i can get better rankings. im not a pro at this web building but want to learn so.... i was wondering is there a link you could toss me with:
    "what the common STOP words are"? and are you refering to content or keywords or title or all?
    you also mentioned that the page is too wide. i have a 19in screen and have tried doing the 800 pix thing but it always looks like its lope sided (to much on one side and a big space on the other) how can i fix this?

Im also going to check on all of my spelling typos thanks for your vision, ive seen so much of the page i think i got tunnel vision....lol.

also you made refrence on number 5 about the source code? are you saying that www.biz-giant.com should be removed or that the domain name should go after the sentence. sorry please use layman terms i get confused if ya get to techy wit it.

when i fix my typo mistakes i will re post for your inspection.

thank you for your insight and help!

thanks again
    malcolm1

Its best to minimize stop words it demonstrates good writing skills, something the search engines look for. Sometimes however, using stop words can be quite unaviodable.

No site is without errors. Far as page width goes not everybody has a 19" moniter, having dead spaces/margins is a good thing. There are a lot of labtops out there that use smaller moniters.

In the source code what I mean is what is called your nested elements in your head tag. The page title should always come first.

For example,

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>blah blah blah</TITLE>
    <META name="AUTHOR" content="yoursite.com">--------------or your name, company ect..
    <META name="KEYWORDS" content="max number keywords 250">
    <META name="DESCRIPTION" content="put your description hear">
    <META name="GENERATOR" content="Created by BlueVoda">
    <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <META name="Robots" content="INDEX,FOLLOW"> ----------------- its'up to you?
    <meta name="googlebot" content="INDEX, FOLLOW" />-------------- its up to you?

I hope this helps, BlueVoda gives you all the tools to have a great website. SEO is something that takes a little time to learn. But there is vodabids for seo work.
    The above example is commom example of good head elements order.

pet121

Your question about meta - it should NEVER be the same from one page to the next - as each page should have different and unique content and each page sould be optimizing completelyl different words (in most cases). You only dilute the effect on one page if you use the same keywords on the others. And, believe me, there are many keyword phrases you can optimize for.

And pet's comments about spelling are very important - the se's DO look at spelling and grammar and count it in their ranking of you - which you may never see.

I am not a believer in the need for meta keywords at all - HOWEVER, if you are going to use that meta - make sure you use it right - cuz the major se's won't use it to help you - but WILL use it to hurt you if they feel you use it to spam.

The only meta I say you should always still use are the title and description. Make these work well, and optimize your pages internally - and they will still help you.

alrighty .... i have all my pages now optimized and am ranking in all the pages and catagories as very good all are above 90% and in green. pet121 i did as you said and checked all my words to make sure that they were spelt correctly. much to my delight this actually increased my standings in http://www.widexl.com by about 10% and also changed my heading and title my title is now at 100% after taking out my www.biz-giant completly on my front page thankyou for that tip! i also resized all pages and should now be seen by even the smallest of laptops or pc moniters.

all my pages were done with seperate keywords and titles and have great standings now. thank you bethers!

if some could please take a few minutes and check out to make sure its ok and see if you can find any more mistakes i would really appreciate it.

i will be trying to install a sitemap next any easy instructions would be great!

thx again
    malcolm1

Red face Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

hello..... pet121
    i just downloaded WebCEO and it generated the same thing we talked about earlier about the "title" has to come before the charactor set. i thought i fixed the problem when i changed the title, but it seems not so and its hurting my rankings. would ya mind helping me out somehow ive been trying to delete the charactor set.. BUT IT WONT LET ME!

here is what webceo said.......

B. Main on-the-page factors influencing your ranking

1. <HEAD> area:
    1. Your Title tag is not the first tag in the <HEAD> area of your page! Your Title tag should be placed before all other tags, otherwise search engines may overlook it which will significantly damage your rankings.

2. Your Title tag has stop words! Words such as "and, on, a, the, for, to, about, are, that, were, by, of" and other auxiliary words are too common and search engines don't take them into consideration. By using a stop word in your Title tag, you potentially damage your rankings. A rule of thumb: the less stop words you use in your Title tag, the better.

3. Your keyword is not present in the Title tag! Your keyword should appear at least once in the Title tag, but it doesn't appear at all. Put the keyword into your Title tag or you'll be unlikely to rank high.

META Keywords:
    1. Your keyword weight in the META Keywords is too low! When it comes to this tag, the higher the keyword weight, the better. Meanwhile, on your page, keyword weight doesn't come to more than 9.3%. Try to remove the least informative and least relevant keywords, thus increasing keyword weight.

2. <BODY> area: [IMG]res://C:\Program Files\Web CEO\BIN\Analise32.dll/helpmegif[/IMG]Visible text [IMG]res://C:\Program Files\Web CEO\BIN\Analise32.dll/helpmegif[/IMG]

1. Your page has too many words! Our research has revealed that the majority of top-ranked pages contain up to 1320 words. Your page has 2102 words. It is understood that copy is of critical importance to the overall results of your site--if this page already ranks high, we don't recommend slashing it. If your page is not alreadly highly ranked, try to remove some text from the visible area of your page known as <Body>. Doing so will help your page fit the recommended range of 113-1320 words.

2. Your keyword doesn't have enough weight on your page! Your keyword should constitute at least 2 percent, while with your page it is only 0.2%. Increase the keyword weight so its value ranges within the boundaries of 2-10 percent. Also keep in mind the possibility of using different forms of your keywords. While ranking, search engines consider not only direct matches of keywords, but also their various alterations. For instance, for the query "web hosting," search engines will take into account the occurrences of such words as "host", "hosting", "webhosts" etc. on your pages. In addition, the modification of your keyword makes the content more user-friendly, so your page doesn't look like a readability puzzle stuffed with one and the same keyphrase. And remember: a good technique for writing page copy is to write naturally.

3. Your keyword is not present at the end of your page! Your page will be more relevant if your keyword appears at the end of the visible text. To achieve this, put your keyword in the last 50 words of your copy.First heading on the page (H1-H6) [IMG]res://C:\Program Files\Web CEO\BIN\Analise32.dll/helpmegif[/IMG]

1. Your page either has no <H1> headings, or has no text in the first heading on the page! It is crucial that your keyword appears in one of these headings. We also recommend that you put an <H1> heading as close to the beginning of your page as possible. Search engines traditionally consider text in the headings to be essential, and having your keyword there will positively influence your website's overall optimality.Text in links including ALTs [IMG]res://C:\Program Files\Web CEO\BIN\Analise32.dll/helpmegif[/IMG]

1. Your keyword rarely appears in the ALT / TITLE attributes of text and graphical links on this page! Your keyword should appear at least once in text links, but it doesn't appear at all. We recommend that it be used in such links up to 6 times. You can easily adjust this number with your favorite HTML editor.ALT image attributes [IMG]res://C:\Program Files\Web CEO\BIN\Analise32.dll/helpmegif[/IMG]

1. Your keyword is not present in the first 3 ALT image attributes on your page (or there are no ALT attributes at all)! If you have images on your page, put the keyword in one of these ALTs as they are considered more important than the rest of the ALTs on your page. Even though ALT tags haven't gained much importance with Google, the Yahoo! and MSN search engines pay much more attention to them.

Now widexl shows 100% on this page i dont get it??

heres what i can say that i do know...

step 1:

after opening up index page.... go to blue voda on top go to VIEW.... from there go to page html, on this page i can see what your talking about but i dont know how to change or delete the charactor set and it wont let me!!

ive been sitting here for a good 2 days experimenting and nothing works can you help me out of this one!

thanks
    malcolm

Malcolm Pender

Webceo will give a general idea as to what is going on. But to make your page title come first in your head elements do this.

Open Blue Voda>>>>page properties>>>make sure the character set is blank>>>>then open up Page html and paste the <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"> between head tag>>>republish. Webceo will always say this for your index page.

This is about properly nesting your head elements. Webceo is a good program and its' free. There is a learnning curve involved, and involves a lot of work to get things just right.

pet121

Just to add some SE's still look for keywords. Google on the other hand does not, instead it will parse the most relevant keywords. Its best have them, no keywords no serps, plus your meta description is very important. pet121

Question Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

thanks pet121....
    I did as you said went to page properties took out the "charactor code" and left it blank, then returned to html.. and on the "bottom" copy and pasted the code you left above.

i put this code into the "between head tab" not sure but i put this code in "after" the verifacation code i put in for google sitemap.
    this was the only place google would verify my site, so i placed the code thier, it worked because as soon as i did that google verified it.
    ( so in other words i placed the code after the google code)

should i just remove google tag since its already been verified or you think it will cause a problem later with the spiders?

ok my site is still up and running but part of the title words can be seen peeking out from behind the light grey backgound on the top.

do you think i should go back in and place the title tag first then add the google code after words?

I checked in www.widexl to make sure it didnt hurt rankings and all was ok. went to web CEO and it NO longer says....

1.YOUR TAG IS NOT the first tag in the <head> area of your page!
    so thats a plus i think cause at least like it says above....... "search engines may overlook it which will damage rankings".

one more.... am i going to have to do this to all 4 pages?

ohhhhhhh....by the way SE"s stands 4 search engine right or suggestions? and what the heck is a serp???? its not in the dictonary :(

hey your not trying to talk to me in computer lingo are ya? lmao

thanks
    malcolm

Malcolm Pender

Do it for all your pages. Serp stands for search engine page ranking, basically where your page ranks for certain keywords or phrases. Ranking will always fluctuate until you get a solid website.

Search engines like propper formatt for HTML especially in you head elements. Slowly republish don't go crazy and republish everything all at once.

open your page HTML select "between head and tag" and simply paste

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
    <META name="Robots" content="INDEX,FOLLOW">
    <meta name="googlebot" content="INDEX, FOLLOW" />

When you go to and publish thing will be correct formatt. Whether or not to include

<META name="Robots" content="INDEX,FOLLOW">
    <meta name="googlebot" content="INDEX, FOLLOW" />

Is entirely up to you. I have had lots of success using this method. I rank 5 from 45 million for one key phrase on Google. My site is far from complete, because I had been side tracked for the last 6 months. I am back in now and hoping to wrap it up.

The next site which I am planning has to do with content thieves. The people who steal information and spam search engines. Should be interesting, this sort of behavior is becoming a real problem.

I hope this helps. Try and learn some stuff it pays off big time. pet121

Lightbulb Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

hello pet121...

I do appreciate all your help youve given me so far, and i am trying to learn. thats why i ask questions. :)
    since you are familier with the web CEO program i was wondering how and what they are talking about with <H1> tags.

this is the only explanation they give in the help section.

First heading on the page (H1-H6)
    Syntax: <H1>Keyword in the Heading</H1>, < H3>Keyword in the Heading</H3>, etc.
    It is important the keyword is present in the very first heading tag on the page regardless of its type. If the keyword is also used as a first word, you will raise its prominence.

1. Your page either has no <H1> headings, or has no text in the first heading on the page! It is crucial that your keyword appears in one of these headings. We also recommend that you put an <H1> heading as close to the beginning of your page as possible. Search engines traditionally consider text in the headings to be essential, and having your keyword there will positively influence your website's overall optimality.

if my understanding is correct they are asking me to make this code and paste my top 6 keywords in the html section under START OF PAGE is this correct?

<H1>high income business opportunities<H1/><H2>profitable home based business<H2/><H3>proven income opportunity<H3/> 4-5-6

Im not sure because this is the only explanation given and if im correct they are talking about the first paragragh or sentece in my page right?

another question is .... is my keywords in my page properties are they sopposed to be in the order of importance ....im talking about my meta tags in page propertites.

ohh........by the way after you gave me that code, for title in "widexl" i have a perfect score of 100% on all lines. its claiming its excellent home page.

another question i have is this.

3. Your keyword is not present at the end of your page! Your page will be more relevant if your keyword appears at the end of the visible text. To achieve this, put your keyword in the last 50 words of your copy.

this is the last word in the bottom of my index page.....

We spent years testing and perfecting this proven highly profitable and legitimate online shopping Dollarstore and came to the conclusion it was one that anyone could not fail to make money on. This proven high income opportunity is the one we are now sharing with you today it is the easiest, and most profitable home based business opportunities we have found in this multi billion dollar marketplace.

as can be seen the words profitable,highly,proven,legitimate are all mentioed in the text at the end of page.

maybe you could shed some light on this for me.

again i do very much appreciate your helping me with these optimization Questions.
    thank you very much for teaching and explaining these codes to me.

thank you
    malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

1. H tags I don't use these are title tags. Instead I achieve the same results by making sure my page title is mentioned in the first part of my visible content. H tags can be entered within BV. Some webmasters use them some don't it all depends on your site, each site is unique.

2.I would ignore what webceo is telling in regards for your keyword at bottom of text.

I am glad your relevancy went up, it should help with your serps. So know its my turn why are URL extensions important? pet121

Hi pet121

my URL extensions?? hmmmmmmm.....well to be honest i tried asking that question in the google bar and it came up with a small list that didnt give me my answer.

i dont know i might far off here but url extentions i think mean for instance

my main URL www.biz-giant.com

ext i think would be the ending after main /links.html or resources.html
    only thing i could think off would be for more added content in a website,for better page information.

ok i have NO clue

DO TELL......

thanks
    malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

Although there are a variety of ways of doing good seo. Some have many different approaches on the matter.

My approach is url extension should match your page title and your page title and one or more of your keywords should be mentioned in the first part of your content.

For example:

mydomain.com/sewing_crafts_together.html from here your page title would be
    "sewing crafts together"

In your visible content, first paragraph should begin with Sewing crafts together then expand from there.

First keyword phrase would therefore be sewing crafts together, perhaps crafts sewing as an second keyword.

Keyword digger is fine, but remember the keyword you are targetting must reside in your content x amount of times, if not you are spamming.

This is just one approach, there are several others for example, instead of having you page title reside in the first part on your content. Drop your banner down and enters the phrase "sewing crafts together" above the banner.

If I had more time I would write a full article on this subject. Seo changes everyday, but the basics do not. pet121

HI..... pet121

i would still like to try out those <h1> tags on my site was the code ok and if so were do i place them.

just want to see if it helps out.

thanks
    malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

hello... pet 121

index page title would be....

Profitable home based businesses require Proven income opportunities

as soon as you enter page in big bold type....

Profitable home based businesses+proven income opportunities=Success

then as soon as paragragh starts somthing along the lines of...

Profitable home based businesses and proven income opportunitys go hand in hand one without the other are...blah blah blah

would something like this be ok for the search engines?

im trying to use 2 of my strongest keywords that have KEI of 300+ so as to reach the best results.

thanks
    malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

I've given instructions on here in other threads on h tags - and I find they are very good to use.

I do NOT make my title and headlines and url extensions all match - BUT - you DO need to have your keywords in all of them as much as possible - so that means they will be close. Sometimes they'll be different because you really should be targetting 3-5 keyword phrases per page - so you can't hit all of them in each of those.

The h tags work well for me in some cases. Just make sure that what you put in them is a headline - not a sentence - and don't abuse them. You should only have ONE h1 tag per page. You can have multiple h2-h6's tags if necessary - but again - make sure that they make sense and fit your page.

hi.... bethers

ok i got a couple good keywords but those two above are the strongest KEI keywords and want to use the best for tags.

is the code i used above the way that its sopposed to be? and were are they placed?

which one of the 6 tabs in html for <H1>? and or how many tags for that matter and where are they placed??.

thx
    malcolm

Malcolm Pender

Hello bethers....

Scratch that last message i want to be a little more specific with my questions. and after i had it were i wanted it it timed out on me and i had to start over.

1.Question: is this code formatted correctly? and is this ok for a H1 tag ? its not in sentence form i mean.

<H1>High income business opportunities for success<H1/>

2.Question: exactly were is H1 to be placed in the html section ...which tab?

3.Question: were do the rest of the tags belong in what tabs or tab.

<H2>profitable home based businesses make money<H2/>

<H3>proven income opportunity from home<H3/>

4-5-6-

thanks
    malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

First - your headline should replace where you have "Welcome" - that's totally unnecessary- wasting space and unprofessional. Tha'ts where I'd put your first h1 tag. You might have to size it - as h1 sizes itself - I generally make them a 4 - so
    <H1><font size="4">High income business opportunities for success</font></H1>
    I also corrected your closing h1 tag - you had it wrong.

The others - can be placed anywhere on the page where they will appear as a HEADING - think of a newspaper - look at all your yellow highlighting - those are headings - but not all of those have good keywords - therefore they shouldn't all get h tags.

Personally, I think having a google search box on the top of your page is a big mistake - that's just asking people to leave before they ever look further. Also - you don't have any header - who are you? What's your name - you need that to brand your site. See optimizing isn't going to do you any good if the site isn't going to keep the visitors and make you money.

Also, you need to give people the opportunity - all throughout your spiel on your homepage - to click to purchase - I never saw anything asking me to start now - clickable - I had to look for where to go - believe me - people won't go looking - it has to be obvious.
    You probably won't want to hear this either - but having all the Google adwords, etc running down the right of the page - is all affiliate advertising. It's well known that sites either do well as an affiliate - or selling their own product, but very rarely as both. I suggest if you want to have them - you make a page for them - don't lose the people before they read your own page. Give people a chance to purchase your own product.

hello....

hi bethers, i redid my front page and deleted the main index in hopes of ending the firefox problem witch didnt solve anything :( you said the last time you added my ending "tag" on to my page. i think it has been lost and would appreciate the info on were and how to install it again.
    (you had told me you installed it for me. remember)

thanks
    malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

You will place your h tags on the page where the headline would go - using an html box. They should be headlines. What you have will work fine - you might need to tell it what size text you want - otherwise it will automatically size it according to the number h tag you use. They will automatically be bold and they will have space between them and your next element automatically.

H tags are not vital - but if you don't use them - make sure that you make the headlines stand out so that they are recognized by the se's as headlines - using bold and larger text. The h tags tell them they are headlines.

I am going into my emails - because I have to differ with Pet on some points - particularly regarding feeling that meta is important. Very little of the meta information is used anymore - this is from the article "Top 10 SEO Myths" -

Top Ten SEO Myths
    By Andy MacDonald
    Ever wonder what the biggest SEO myths are? I have taken the most prevalent myths that seem to be constantly resurfacing and examined them for you. This is a must read for anyone looking to hire an SEO firm or someone looking to do SEO for themselves.

Myth # 1: All Meta Tags Are Of Equal Importance Some Meta tags are useful while others are not. I have stated this many times. Search engines are relying more and more about what is on the website than what the tags are telling them. The description tag is used by some (but not all) search engines. The same goes for the keyword tag. Keyword tags are used more by spammers and people using software to find you as a link partner than the search engines. In my opinion, the only tags you should concentrate your efforts on are the robot tag and the description tags.

You can find all their archived articles here:
    http://www.sitepronews.com/archives.html

Wink Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

Hello....

Thank you bethers I have figured it out and have added them.

All i can say about the meta issues is this.......

A little over a month has passed and i have watched my website slowly climb down the ALEXA rankings (which is great) I was at 5 million and something, and have just gotten under 1 mil after using all the tips and tricks that were provided to me by everyone here.

"And am very grateful to everyone here"

I have applied.....

"Proper grammer on Page"
    "Keyword tags"
    "meta tags"
    "ALT tags or Image tags"
    "Description tags"
    "H1-H3 tags"
    "Text Links"
    "Sitemap"
    And a Few others....

Everytime i have added "something or another" to my pages my "Alexa ranking" has dropped and i have seen more and more traffic to my site. I understand that many of these principles that i have added might not be used by "Google" but many other engines do still use these, and i personally believe that while the other engines look up to google for advice or better classification for their own listings, Google uses all info gathered by other engines for its own data and in the end is influenced by them as well.

So to make a long story short... I believe "ALL" tags are still worthy to some extent of being added to any website. "It cant hurt to add any of them"
    I also read "sitepronews" and a many others but have figured everyone has their own ideas of what works and what dont.

Now i have just recently started my popularity campaign "so to speak" and have watched my pages get listed higher in most of the search engines as well as lower my alexa ranking also. i have a little over 150 links now some 5-6 PRs and my website has moved up somewhat considerably.

(Whos Right and Whos Wrong)... is i guess up to the "Google Gods"

Either way im still a happy camper and wish to thank YOU for all the help.

thank you
    malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

Wink Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

Hello....

Thank you bethers I have figured it out and have added them.

All i can say about the meta issues is this.......

A little over a month has passed and i have watched my website slowly climb down the ALEXA rankings (which is great) I was at 5 million and something, and have just gotten under 1 mil after using all the tips and tricks that were provided to me by everyone here.

"And am very grateful to everyone here"

I do remember what you said about not to worry about alexa rankings BUT its very helpful in seeing your results as alexa reposts their data every 3-4 days,and you can see whats really happening in real time.

I have applied the following to my website .....

"Proper grammer on Page"
    "Keyword tags"
    "meta tags"
    "ALT tags or Image tags"
    "Description tags"
    "H1-H3 tags"
    "Text Links"
    "Sitemap"
    And a Few others....

Everytime i have added something to my pages my "Alexa ranking" has dropped and i have seen more and more traffic to my site. I understand that many of these principles that i have added might not be used by "Google" but many other engines do still use these, and i personally believe that while the other engines look up to google for advice or better classification for their own listings, Google uses all info gathered by other engines for its own data and in the end is influenced by them as well.

So to make a long story short... I believe all tags are still worthy to some extent of being added to any website. "It cant hurt to add any of them"

Now i have just recently started my popularity campaign "so to speak" and have watched my pages get listed higher in most of the search engines as well as lower my alexa ranking also. i have a little over 150 links now some 5-6 PRs and my website has moved up considerably.

"Whos Right and Whos Wrong"...... is i guess up to the "Google Gods"

Either way im still a happy camper and wish to thank you for all your help.

thank you
    malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

Glad to hear you are moving up (or in Alexa's case down) the rankings.

I'm just starting my site but I would love to take all these things into consideration from the beggining rather than have to change them.... If I knew what on earth you were talking about in half of them. I'm very new to this all but I really want to get a good business site up and going so if any of you have a moment to jot me a note on what these ratings are I would really appreciate it!

Hi everyone,

We (John and Ruth) are new to the forum, we've been reading the messages here but are a bit overwhelmed with the amount of info (beginers). Our site is www.runesandreadings.com . If anyone could make some suggestions as to good first steps with tagging it would be a huge help to us! Look forward to hearing from you,

many thanks, Ruth and John

Hi

Can anyone point in the right direction to find out how to add h tags and where I put them?

Thanks

kp - h tags are headlines - look at any newspaper - and every headline is an h tag - with the top headline to the paper being an h1 tag.

So, if you were to put information on your home page as I recommended in another thread - above all that information you could place an h1 tag stating what you do - then a paragraph of text to follow. If you have more paragraphs that could have their own headings realistically - you could then use h2-h6 tags.

Thread Information