Thread: Newbie here, my "little" site is published. YEAH!!!!

Thumbs up Newbie here, my "little" site is published. YEAH!!!!

I am extremely new to this, but after submitting 5 tickets in 20 mins and alot of very competent advice, I finaly have my "little" 2 page site published. I may have to go in and reduce my photos because I did notice that it loaded very slowly. What would be a good size to reduce to? 350?
    other than having to add the other categories such as about me, shoppe, Contact Us.. etc. and my shopping cart, I have it finaly up. Yeah!!!!!!!
    Can someone tell me if it is centering at least some what correctly?
    Please take a look!

~sugarplum~
    www.sugarplumstudios.com

Default Re: Newbie here, my "little" site is published. YEAH!!!!

Greetings Sugarplum-

Your site is beautiful! You have been working hard. The pictures are very nice- but too big for web page load times. Here is a link to a tutorial on displaying pictures. It gives examples of sizes along with two programs to re-size photos.
    http://netisopen.com/computer/PICT001/PT001.html

I suggest that you try to stick around the 320 X 240 range max- smaller would be better. Don't worry about quality- using the resize programs will keep the quality. One of your pictures was 600 X 800 which is the size of a typical web page! So do some expirementing.

Also- on your Gallery page- the picture is overlaping the word Gallery-
    Check it out- this is what I am seeing;
    http://netisopen.com/test/sugarplum.html

You are on the right track- It really is beautiful.

See ya on the forum,

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Doing a real good job,
    The down side with web & pictures, will always be slow loading pages, especially if you have a few pictures on one page. Until we all get up to 8 to 10 Meg speed to compensate for this we are better of using smaller pictures & linking each one to a pop up. Or just having 1 good picture per page. If every one that sees your site has broadband, it won’t be so slow. But if on dial up, it may take some waiting.
    Have a look at the roll over & picture gallery on the menu bar on the left of BV. A good size to look at for fast loading pages is about 100 to 150kb in total for the page. To give you an idea, your front page loads quite quick, as the image is only about 75kb. But when you go to
    The gallery you have 14 images at about 150kb each + the page. Bit to much for a web page.
    You can get a nice looking picture for a web page down to about 60kb.

Good luck

Chris.

Hi sugerplum,
    The photos are large and on your photo page you have some overlapping, but I just love what you do. You will get there. Good Luck
    Sharon Chajin

Your site is off to a lovely start, I love your creations. Sharon is correct, there is some overlapping but you can fix that. Let me know if you would like to link, when you get to that point. Good luck!
    Karen

thank you everyone for your advice. the overlapping does not show up on my screen but I did try to fix that, but I have no idea if it worked or not, I did go in and change all the photos on the gallery to the "gallery option." I have one question, is there a way to say my text as a picture so that the Bambino font shows up and not the default Ariel?

And Karen, I would LOVE to do a link with you, my goal is to be a fully functional selling site by the first of August. I will let you know.

Thanks for looking
    ~sugarplum~

You fixed the overlap but the "Our Gallery" text is shifting I believe. Yes you can save the text as a picture and then place on your page. It is rather complicated but I will help you if you like. First- what size are you looking to have "Our Gallery"? Second- Where did you get Bambino font as I cannot find it in BV? Did you use something else?

Also- in moving your stuff around- the width of the site has gotten large. Make sure to check the width in page properties each time before publishing- 800 width is the prefered.

You may want to check out the many fonts and text displays at
    http://www.cooltext.com also.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

yes the Bambino is installed on my PC, I guess I could use Papyrus that may be a more common font for all. You said you know how to save as a pic?

sugaplum

Yes- What size ar you looking for the font to be? I am afraid we will be limited to the font avaliable in the BV program. So if there is one you like- let me know which one and what size font you would like. I will then try to save as a pic for you.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

sugarplum,

If you want the Bambino font, type it in a word document the size you want and then e-mail it to me at;
    keith@netisopen.com

I will see what I can do.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Andy,
    would Papyrus be an option? I had in mind something a little different than the standard ones BV offered. but I dont want the default to show at all

sugarplum

Sure-

Type what you want on a word document in the font and size you want and then e-mail it to me. Put both fonts on there if you like but make sure to space them apart by at least qtr page.
    E-mail the document to me at;
    keith@netisopen.com

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Hi sugerplum,
    just looked over page's looking very good. the pictures are loading slow here like every one has said.
    there is many different ways of slowing your pitures in gallerys some useing script that link to the image then showing the image on your page in any form you like.. you also do not have to use the standard popup window, which can look a bit ugly. Take a look in area 51 under Gallerys to see what i mean.

I'm sorry, but I am not finding that information. would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?

Sorry
    the link below this.

Hi Sugarplum

I'm not sure if its your site or its my pc but when i go to maximise the page ..it goes all wierd all the words run into each other and big black lines down the page ...i really dont know what thats all about ...it could be me.

I did notice tho your gallery is very slow on my dial up and you have a huge sideways scroll .....if you go to my link below and follow the instructions that will fix that ....hope that helps ....
    Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
    http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Question Re: Newbie here, my "little" site is published. YEAH!!!!

Alien A.

I went to your area51 and saw the gallery shows, I really like gallery #1(on the left of the screen) how can I get the script for it?

Thanks
    sugarplum

Hey, Sugar!

I always am so thrilled to see the creativity the Voda Opportunity unleashes in all of us!

I really like your niche, and am looking forward to your refinements on your site. I figure you will be changing the layout of your gallery as time goes on, so I'll not quibble about that. About your background, though...is it really a background or an image you've posted over? The reason I ask is because there is an awfully large white margin on the right side exposed, which might be correctable if you extend the image to 1500w (and reset your page properties to 800, then center it for the browser), or if something is funny in BV land and it is a "textured background" you've imported from say Publisher, simply set your page properties to "center" to see if it self-fixes.........
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

I tried centering it and using the 800x600 but when I preview in browser, Good Grief is it off centered, a HUGE amount of white shows I have tried many things to get it correct, any suggestions other than what you have suggested? I'm getting a little frustrated here, and yes the background is a imported picture I am needing a very soft, slightly shabby appeal for my product, and yes your correct on changing the gallery, I am looking for a flash gallery or a cube gallery effect, any suggestions on that either?

sugarplum

About the gallery? Haven't been that route yet. Try resizing your image to 1500 (ACDSee, or another photoeditor?), save it in documents? as xxxx 1500w, then reinstall it in your BV pages - don't freak when is lays on top of everything else - just right click on it and "send to back" so it rests under everything. Don't forget to re-save pages.

or--

re-import your newly resized image AS BACKGROUND, having converted it in via MS Publisher.....
    Better yet....(honestly this is embarrassing for me too...editing, jumping 'round) ....find a background tile (gradient or texture) in Publisher, and re-tint it, then save it. Then import it (as tile), which will then function as background. The stripes on what you have presently is the preventing issue.

However you lay out your page, set it at 800w, centered in browser.

***answer to your osc question has been posted***

Hi sugarplum
    If you like you can send me an email from the first page,
    and i will send you the script and full instructions. ok

Hi sugarplum,

You have a huge sideways scroll on your pages ...if you follow the instruction on the link below this will fix it...move everything to the left of the page. your doing great
    Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
    http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Question Re: Newbie here, my "little" site is published. YEAH!!!!

Lincslady,

I used your advice and Karens(Thanks) I went to my layout used the grid and so on and put in the properites 800x600 I redid alot to try and fix the side scroll, now on my PC it looks horrible, a HUGE white gap on the right of the monitor, could you or anyone else take a look and see if you are seeing what I do? I hope I fixed the overlapping text by doing this.

Thanks so much
    sugarplum

I did what you did and everything went to the left and stayed until.... I found the box where it says "center it" or something like that. Look in your page properties near the bottom.
    Sharon Chajin

hi sugarplum

some of the pages ares still out balance and the text appears to be overlapping when I click on the "gallery" and "links" you may need to check into this

You've done wonders, Sugar!

I really like your new background, and tightened layouts. You have simplified the navigation, and made it much more flowing throughout......awesome!
    See? It wasn't that hard was it???
    Congratulations!

Smile Re: Newbie here, my "little" site is published. YEAH!!!!

Nice start. Your alignment is off. It is nice though.
    David
    David B
    LGD Design Innovations
    www.lgddesign.com
    david.bennett@lgddesign.com

Thread Information