Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size

I'm still in the design process and I need some help.
    The site I'm building will have a lot of pictures and thats the reason I'm building the site. The people that I'm marketing to want to see pictures and the details in them. I may never meet them face to face or them see my work in person so the pictures of my work are critical.
    What size range can I use that want cause slow loading. Bigger is better in my case so they can see the details.

Thanks for your help

Re: Size

Hi Stephen..

I guess it would help to understand the technical side to pictures and their formats so that you can find the balance between display quality and feel of the site against convenience and download speed.. I can offer you this link which contains other links to a couple of technical websites that deal specifically with images..

http://adsenseproject.com/step_4_3.htm

Comment

Sorry.. let me correct that link:

http://adsenseproject.com/implementation/step_4_4.htm

(I have a lousy memory)

Comment

Thanks ez-ez

That was very interesting info and helpful but are there any pixal size range I should stay within? I will have one picture (unless I change my mind lol) on the index page that will be approximately 400x584. I need a thumbnail gallery to open up to larger images if I can figure out how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen G.
          Thanks ez-ez

That was very interesting info and helpful but are there any pixal size range I should stay within? I will have one picture (unless I change my mind lol) on the index page that will be approximately 400x584. I need a thumbnail gallery to open up to larger images if I can figure out how to do it.
          I think the size you have for the index page picture is reasonable.. I have pictures of that size on my site and they load up pretty quick.. Although, it is the format of the image that dectates it's size.. I'm hoping your images are GIF.

Thumbnails and Galary images can be inserted in BV.. If you expirement with the Gallary feature on the left hand side panel in BV, I'm sure you'll find answers.. I'm not sure if there is a standard common size for thumbnails, I'm not sure if BV sets the size for the thumbnails, but if I am to use thumbnails, I would make them around 100px square.. you want it reasonably small but also clear and inviting.

I will expirement with the Gallary feature and if I find anything interesting I'll certainly let you know.

Comment

They are JPEG files

Comment

Originally posted by ez-ez
              I'm hoping your images are GIF.
              Sorry, Carlos....
              Images are always defined as JPG's and GIF's are typically for graphic or textual imagry.

If you try to convert or present a photograph for instance, as a GIF, it will present terriby grainy and lack definition that is expected.
              JPG = Photos
              GIF = Graphics

....and 100 wide is pretty big for an 800 wide page to set thumbnails at, isn't it?
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

My understanding is that they are all technically considered as 'Images' which can be graphics or pictures and photos.

JPEG is definitely better for 'LARGE' Pictures.. But, I wouldnt go wasting my space on JPEG if the image is no more than 600x600..

These 2 images are 250 x 165, 1 is GIF & the other is JPEG.. does the difference in quaity warrant the size increament? MORE IMPORTANTLY.. GIF MAY NOT ALWAYS BE SMALLER THAN JPEG.. MANY BETTER QUALITY JPEGS ARE SMALLER THAN GIF'S. THE NUMBER OF COLORS AND EFFECTS ARE THE FACTORS YOU NEED TO CONSIDER.

I always saw site that contain very tiny little thumbnails.. My website itsef contains images 40X55px.. which is small.. However, these are not thumbnails and I don't care for them to be attractive or detailed.. If you look at Stock Images websites they always make sure their thumbnails are decent size so that they show the detail and are attractive to the visitor to click on.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I too use alot of jpeg images on my site. I have never found the quality in converting a jpeg to a gif as you have above. Lucky for you, what are your tips there?

I have used the thumbnail gallery and the rotator (rotator used for a slideshow for my purposes) Here are my thoughts.

Thumbnail Gallery - You are limited to the amount of photos you can put on one page. I at times need 100 or more photos, and over the next six months will be needing to add 250 or more photos to one page. You can size your thumbnail images on your page to any size you like, I agree they need to be a half decent size to allow viewers to see and catch their interest enough to click. Here is an example of thumbnails I used on a page and the size I used to catch the interest.
                  www.halifaxwolverinesjra.com/darcywalsh.html

Rotator - Used as a slideshow for my purposes. I have been successful in adding up to 100 or more images at a time using this method, and the images are very large, although reduced in size (read further below). The only thing is, unless there is a trick I am missing and I am still trying to find out, is that you have to add your images to the rotator one by one, very time consuming as it requires two clicks per photo.
                  An example of the use of the rotator
                  http://www.halifaxwolverinesjra.com/aug28photos.html

Tips - I have found that adding any more than a couple of dozen photos in the thumbnail format on one page takes forever to load. I have found using the rotator you can used as many as you like, (well I haven't found my limit yet).

- My photos I take originally are 2000 pixels x 1500 pixels, I reduce them in size to 400 pixels x 300 pixels, this still gives a pretty large in size photo, (about 30 - 40 kbs as opposed to 700 or 800 kbs per photo) It's not a good idea to tug on your photos once you have them in place or they will distort.

- I always check my page for load time by viewing my page as a regular viewer in internet explorer, I go to file, edit with microsoft front page, and a new page will open for you, down in the bottom right corner you will see a timer coming on, you will see something like 78 seconds over a 28.8, click on the 28.8 and a smaller menu will come up and hit isdn, this is the setting you should work with for page loading times, it is nice if this says anywhere around 14 seconds, some of my pages do, but some also say 20 seconds, 23 seconds, 19 seconds, etc., but your aim is 14 seconds or as close as you can get to it, you are then just breezing through your site without any delay whatsoever.

- If you need to protect your pictures from internet thieves, not an entirely fool proof script, but one that will stop the majority of browsers is this below.

<script language="Javascript1.2">
                  // ***********************************************
                  // AUTHOR: WWW.CGISCRIPT.NET, LLC
                  // URL: http://www.cgiscript.net
                  // Use the script, just leave this message intact.
                  // Download your FREE CGI/Perl Scripts today!
                  // ( http://www.cgiscript.net/scripts.htm )
                  message = "PUT WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY WHEN THE USER RIGHT CLICKS HERE";
                  function NoRig***lick(b) {
                  if(((navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer")&&(event.button > 1))
                  ||((navigator.appName=="Netscape")&&(b.which > 1))){
                  alert(message);
                  return false;
                  }
                  }
                  document.onmousedown = NoRig***lick;
                  // -->
                  </script>

Hope this helps.....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                  02036089024 / United Kingdom
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
                    I too use alot of jpeg images on my site. I have never found the quality in converting a jpeg to a gif as you have above. Lucky for you, what are your tips there?

I have used the thumbnail gallery and the rotator (rotator used for a slideshow for my purposes) Here are my thoughts.

Thumbnail Gallery - You are limited to the amount of photos you can put on one page. I at times need 100 or more photos, and over the next six months will be needing to add 250 or more photos to one page. You can size your thumbnail images on your page to any size you like, I agree they need to be a half decent size to allow viewers to see and catch their interest enough to click. Here is an example of thumbnails I used on a page and the size I used to catch the interest.
                    www.halifaxwolverinesjra.com/darcywalsh.html

Rotator - Used as a slideshow for my purposes. I have been successful in adding up to 100 or more images at a time using this method, and the images are very large, although reduced in size (read further below). The only thing is, unless there is a trick I am missing and I am still trying to find out, is that you have to add your images to the rotator one by one, very time consuming as it requires two clicks per photo.
                    An example of the use of the rotator
                    http://www.halifaxwolverinesjra.com/aug28photos.html

Tips - I have found that adding any more than a couple of dozen photos in the thumbnail format on one page takes forever to load. I have found using the rotator you can used as many as you like, (well I haven't found my limit yet).

- My photos I take originally are 2000 pixels x 1500 pixels, I reduce them in size to 400 pixels x 300 pixels, this still gives a pretty large in size photo, (about 30 - 40 kbs as opposed to 700 or 800 kbs per photo) It's not a good idea to tug on your photos once you have them in place or they will distort.

- I always check my page for load time by viewing my page as a regular viewer in internet explorer, I go to file, edit with microsoft front page, and a new page will open for you, down in the bottom right corner you will see a timer coming on, you will see something like 78 seconds over a 28.8, click on the 28.8 and a smaller menu will come up and hit isdn, this is the setting you should work with for page loading times, it is nice if this says anywhere around 14 seconds, some of my pages do, but some also say 20 seconds, 23 seconds, 19 seconds, etc., but your aim is 14 seconds or as close as you can get to it, you are then just breezing through your site without any delay whatsoever.

- If you need to protect your pictures from internet thieves, not an entirely fool proof script, but one that will stop the majority of browsers is this below.

<script language="Javascript1.2">
                    // AUTHOR: WWW.CGISCRIPT.NET, LLC
                    // URL: http://www.cgiscript.net
                    // Use the script, just leave this message intact.
                    // Download your FREE CGI/Perl Scripts today!
                    // ( http://www.cgiscript.net/scripts.htm )
                    message = "PUT WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY WHEN THE USER RIGHT CLICKS HERE";
                    function NoRig***lick(b) {
                    if(((navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer")&&(event.button > 1))
                    ||((navigator.appName=="Netscape")&&(b.which > 1))){
                    alert(message);
                    return false;
                    }
                    }
                    document.onmousedown = NoRig***lick;
                    // -->
                    </script>

Hope this helps.....
                    Hi, I just was looking at this software for a site. It’s not free! But for $39.00 it’s pretty good. Hope you don’t mind, but I used some of your images as a test & to see if it was of any use to you?. The nice thing about the software is that you can load the album with one image or a folder at a time & it converts all your images to a show screen size/thumbnail size & save the main image for a large view when clinking on enlargement. It is just a photo album & has its limitations, but worth a look. Where you see a thin grey line below the golf trips, this part houses a menu bar that enables you to link to other parts of your site. I just forgot to enable this when I uploaded. There is a link on the bottom of the album for more info.

Link to my test album.
                    http://www.collectors-info.com/test.html

Chris.
                    PS. One image is not working? Not sure on this just yet. Let me know when you have seen it & I will take it off line if you want.
                    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info
                      Hi, I just was looking at this software for a site. It’s not free! But for $39.00 it’s pretty good. Hope you don’t mind, but I used some of your images as a test & to see if it was of any use to you?. The nice thing about the software is that you can load the album with one image or a folder at a time & it converts all your images to a show screen size/thumbnail size & save the main image for a large view when clinking on enlargement. It is just a photo album & has its limitations, but worth a look. Where you see a thin grey line below the golf trips, this part houses a menu bar that enables you to link to other parts of your site. I just forgot to enable this when I uploaded. There is a link on the bottom of the album for more info.

Link to my test album.
                      http://www.collectors-info.com/test.html

Chris.
                      PS. One image is not working? Not sure on this just yet. Let me know when you have seen it & I will take it off line if you want.
                      Oh wow Chris ... this is totally awesome, it's everything I would need ... and no I do not mind you using the photos, keep them up there as your test album as long as you like ... they look terrific there if I must say so myself .... so is this your software? Where would one order it? Any specials for testers, lol .... any freebies for struggling wolverine teams, lol, I think I just have to have it though .... very very impressive!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

okay found the link about the software, thanks ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye
                          Oh wow Chris ... this is totally awesome, it's everything I would need ... and no I do not mind you using the photos, keep them up there as your test album as long as you like ... they look terrific there if I must say so myself .... so is this your software? Where would one order it? Any specials for testers, lol .... any freebies for struggling wolverine teams, lol, I think I just have to have it though .... very very impressive!!
                          This is the link http://www.webgallerywizard.com/go/index.htm & it’s nothing to do with me, but I just liked the size & style, plus the way you can either put it up as a whole page or the same as I did & placed it in an iframe. But remember there are loads of freebies out there & in the fantastico area in c panel. If you do like this! I would personally put it in its own folder as I believe it automatically uploads three images to every one. So your public area would get a bit of a mess if you load it here. You can download it free as a test, but all the images have a copyright on them until you purchase the software.

Good luck

Chris.

PS. The test album only shows the golf one I made up, bur if you want to categorise your images they would all be placed to the right on the home page as different albums.

PPS. Ha! You got there before me with the posting?
                          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Chris

Your last information about putting each group of pics in its own folder to upload is more important than ever when you said that my public are would be a mess, - you are absolutely correct and after 4 days and one other weekend of photo taking, about 800 or more photos are up in my messy room unfiled in their own folder .... eeks ... glad I heard about this now as by the end of the year I would have had 25,000 or more of these messy images ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I love the Halifax.. website.. and I think the software Chris sggested is awesome and well suited.. I would say Lady should consider using it.

I am not into the photo galary or thumbnail business, but if I was, I would definitely use it.. I use photoshop to mnipulate and save images.

Lady.. you are right about scripts being not entirely fool proof.. and that's why I just don't use them..

25,000 images is a lot.. so it's important to know how you will be managing them now than get stuck with a daunting task later..

I don't see any use of that software for me at the moment, but I'm getting it anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X