Would like some feedback on my site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like some feedback on my site

www.gilbertfuneralhomes.com I didn't see another posting asking for site feedback so I hope I am not stepping on any toes here...
    I have been toying with BlueVoda for a while now but have just recently gotten signed up with VodaHost. I have been hesitent to post on the forum for whatever reason but I think I am ready for some real input. I have at least one link (products) on the navigation bars that go no where, yet and the overall site just needs to be tightened up as far as site content goes.
    Please take a look and give any suggestions that you may have. This is my first website and I want to make sure, before I put in anymore time, that I am headed down the right path. Thank in advance for your time and suggestions! Happy Holidays!
    Thanks,
    perb
    www.gilbertfuneralhomes.com
    perb31
    "There is no place like this place so this must be the place", The Place Tavern - E Heideman

Re: Would like some feedback on my site

You are doing a good job.

I suggest you center the pages - right click on any page to get into page properties and click the button to center. While you're in there - retitle all your pages. You do not want the same title on every page. The idea is the title should say something about that page - so that people know the page they are on. You can leave it as is, if you desire, for the home page. Then go into where it says meta description and type a short blurb about what that specific page is about - again this needs to be different for each page.

Yes, you are headed down the right path - you're doing a great job.

Is it still real neighborly in that area? I still have an aunt that lives near there, but I haven't been around the area in years now.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hey Perb31

I think your doing a great job. It takes time but eventually the finished product should look great.

Some of your headings seem to overlap in my browser so you might want to shift things around a little to avoid this.

Obviously its a work in progress so ask as many questions as you can to help you along the way.
      Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Bethers. I have experimented with the centering of the pages and haven't made up my mind yet. I thought the meta description was for the overall site not individual pages.
        On another note, how does the site name show on your PC? I am using a non-default Microsoft font. I know there is a way to specify an alternate font, but I am not sure how to accomplish that. I have many, many questions, but this will do for now.

As for the area, yeah it is still neighborly. I mean they have there fair share of wrong doings, but what place doesn't these days?

I greatly appreciate your thoughts on my new creation. You really like the centering of the page more, ey?

Thanks again!
        Continued success,
        Perb
        perb31
        "There is no place like this place so this must be the place", The Place Tavern - E Heideman

Comment

philipc9635,
          Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have numerous questions about creating different looks and behind the scenes things too.
          What browser are you using? I designed this site using only Internet Explorer 6 as a reference, but have noticed that some elements do not render the same on different PC's using the same browser. Is there something I can do to fix that?
          I like what you have done with your site. We all need someplace to go for good "FREE" golfing tips and the design looks great!

Happy tee time!!
          perb31
          perb31

Comment

Perb - With the design you are using, rounded corners, etc - I think it would look better centered on the page.

The meta description is for each individual page - as are the titles.

The site name shows fine on my puter - but I have just about every font created on mine :) - if you want to make sure it shows on all computers - do the header in a picture and insert - that's the best way to guarantee non-webfriendly fonts.

As to your post to Philip - People all will have their computers with different browswers and different resolution settings. I see no overlap if I look at your site on IE6 or 7 - but there is overlap on the header (which would also be solved if you did that as an image) on Firefox. I suggest you upload firefox to your computer - just so you can check your pages on at least two browswers - and Firefox is continually growing in usage.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Ilike what you've done .....my advise would be Listen to Beth she has it pretty well scoped out, definetly center the pages.
              Choco777
              www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

looks good but the text below the name serving the area since then the numbers are not displaying. also may need to lower the your bar so it will show also the resource center the R is choped off try reduceing text size i use center and my settings are at 1024 x 768 normal on windows xp, i never use 800 x 600 due to i'm not blind :)
                "Jim"

Hillbilly Electronics LLC

Comment

Overall, I like your site. One thing you might want to do is to let people know that clicking on the graphic of the funeral home will open a MapQuest window with directions to the facility. I was expecting the link to take me to some information about the facility, rather than a map.

John Presler
                  John Presler
                  Miami, OK 74354
                  www.riderstop.com

Comment

Hi Perb
                    You are doing a great job with your website there are same thing that need fixing like the product page has error 404 and centered the page.
                    Thank you
                    Maggie's Enterprise
                    Maggie's Gift Shop

Comment

Clicking on the picture takes you to mapquest's site with directions which is where I think the direction link should take you.You might want to change that. Otherwise keep up the good work.

Carl

Comment

Thanks for the input Tweet. I've been kicking the direction page layout around for quite a while now. Good luck to you. Feel free to drop a line any time
                        perb31

Comment

Ey Mark,
                          Thanks for the input. I have since updated the products page to a coming soon message and also centered the page. Thanks again!
                          Happy Holidays!
                          perb31

Comment

Originally posted by JSP
                            Overall, I like your site. One thing you might want to do is to let people know that clicking on the graphic of the funeral home will open a MapQuest window with directions to the facility. I was expecting the link to take me to some information about the facility, rather than a map.

John Presler
                            JSP,

I have alternate text on the pictures stating to click for directions. Do you not get that when hover on the pics?
                            perb31

Comment

Perb,
                              I suggest you use the alternate text to do what it's meant to do - tell people who can't see the pictures what the pictures are. You could add that also - for example say on the first "Gilbert Funeral Home picture - click for directions" and do same with the other name.

It doesn't hurt to have the extra there - but don't take away from their original meaning.
                              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                              X