Now the critics please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now the critics please!

Well its been awhile since I made any really new advancements in my web sites worth sharing besides small learning curves, when they all add up I'm left with what I've produced. Thats what I'm here to share and take notes from, if you all could please take a peek around these two new sites I've finished.

Ones my main site www.GoldDraco13.com, it has a splash page to divert traffic to my new project under lock and key but the general public can still access the main site which is where I would like to get the reviews from. I'm basically showing off my flash skills a little with a adjustable color scheme there to allow the user a choice to how the site looks and feels. The second site is my gaming site, I've mixed both flash and html and would like to see what you think, www.dragonsofpern3.com. Thanks for your time!

GD13,

Re: Now the critics please!

Hi

You can probably put it down to my baby keeping me up last night, but I was a bit confused about where to go, what to do and what the sites were about.

Could be just me!! :)

Comment

Think about all of us at work, who might want your professional web services, or find a restaurant for that evening, if all that music and shwish noise going on every time you go over a button, I'd get out of the page as soon as possible. It disturbs and many people might no go back. :)

Comment

Advice From Experience, Not Simple Criticism Works Best

Think about it: wouldn't you expect a web design or any other professional enterprise to put their best foot forward to demonstrate their talents to prospective customers --- especially for their own site??

I do not get that from your efforts.
        Besides inappropriately blending sites/site purposes, you do not define within any reasonable manner your purpose, products, services, or even demonstrate the visual balance and acuity that would indicate to visitors that there might be something worthwhile digging in deeper to discover ...... once they figured out your "game-like" navigational scheme!

Try being more focused on presenting a well-planned site that was created to serve a specific purpose and to communicate clearly to visitors in a general manner the information that is important to create the conversion necessary. Being less preoccupied with the gimmickery of Flash (which does take time to get the hang of) and gamemanship will serve you better in the long run, I think.

In my opinion, of course.
        I have a totally different posture when it comes to offering my web skills, as you can see.
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback, I Love the honesty in it, and its well taken. I now know I need to steer my skills into a more professional attitude, less gaming attitude when it comes to building sites. The sound with the buttons was something I thought finished it off and not made it worse so thats new news but I don't work in a office so I didn't know the pit falls there. I can understand the point though, and Vasili I have to say you have a nice look to your flash site, really professional and I'll use it as reference for direction on my future sites, well its back to the drawing board, going to try again and post something here you all go "WOW" over one day!

GD13,

Comment

Been reworking both my sites and think I have it to the point where I like it and believe I handled the issues from the critics below, I also do have a problem I'd like to ask to see if anyone else gets this error from my flash, the error is listed below in code tags. The site url is www.golddraco13.com, please check it out and tell me what you think and if you've ran into the error listed below and know a solution to the problem, please let me know as I for the life of me can't reproduce the error myself, it was posted by a member of my gaming site that lives in Australia. Thanks in advance for any advice/help on my sites.

Code:
            Line: 1
            Char:1
            Error: Object expected
            Code: 0

GD13,

Comment

Sorry to bump this but I would really like to see if anyone is getting the above error when going to my site. I'm trying to figure out if this error is from my website or the users end so any and all info you could provide if you do or don't get the error, would be more then helpful. Thanks in advance for your time and any comments/suggestions or help you might provide for me on this site.

GD13,

Comment

Firefox crashed for me after I clicked 'enter site'. I use firefox 3 with the flashblock, noscript, adblock addon, but I didn't block any content on your site as far as I know.
                Built for GFX & programming.

Comment

I browsed around your site and did not have any crashes or errors! I use Internet Explorer. Interesting approach... I did not completely understand the "line map" or what I was suppose to do with it. But then I can be a little slow...... lo siento!
                  P V WebSolutions

Comment

Sorry, but I found your site 'gold' a little too confusing. I liked the entry to 'dragons' it's very effective, but it wouldn't open, (I have 8mg Broadband) so I couldn't get to see inside.
                    www.waterlandspark.co.uk

Comment

Hi, defiantly a confusing site. You might be better with a conventional entry/intro & leading off to projects you have accomplished, then letting the visitor decide what they like. Not to sure if it’s my settings? But have never been that keen on a lot of flash sites as the text is quite often small & slightly distorted/blurry. (& I am reading this in the morning) lol.
                      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

You have made great stides in some areas, and slid further downhill in others.....

You "new" splash page does have more details clients and visitors want to see, and does help to clarify the purpose of the site itself much better than before.

HOWEVER, getting to the page is still so far "over-the-top" illogical, game-like, and completely unnecessarily difficult that you stand to lose 99% of anyone who happens across your site: having a portal is one thing, but following it up with a diagramic visitor "selection" scheme is absurd, IMO. Why not simply have a "sound" button on the Main page? And, offering 2 different views telegraphs your misunderstanding of serious online development, and suggests to all visitors a conclusion that you are probably in your teens (a definite turn-off with regard to credibility, and not supporting a feeling of confidence -- especially when it comes to paying online). I get the impression you are still tied up in a personal design loop, based on gaming and what you think everyone else expects to be tickled with rather than what works, is expected, and is required to be not just effective, but valued unilaterally (SE's and visitors both).

MOST IMPORTANTLY, though, you are totally off-base using the footer from VodaHost, for you are in no way connected to any of the firms whose logos you display: God help you if they track this to you, as you face stiff legal punitive actions for illegal use of Copyrighted Trademarks (even though you may be a foreign "enterprise" you are in fact hosted in the US and thus subject to the Laws of the Land).
                        You must be very properly permitted to use the trade names or marks of ANY company on any display portion of your website. If you were in fact an affiliate partner or registered developmental resource for any of the firms depicted, you may be able to display them, but then only in certain permitted fashions or places.

Get serious! So many people have commented about things regarding your site that it only stands to common sensibilities that after 2 or 3 such comments you would appreciate the import of such comments and strive to make corrections altogether!

There is no such thing as "fake it until you make it" in eCommerce, let alone compliant web design.

Of course, the above In My Opinion only....

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
                          You have made great stides in some areas, and slid further downhill in others.....

You "new" splash page does have more details clients and visitors want to see, and does help to clarify the purpose of the site itself much better than before.

HOWEVER, getting to the page is still so far "over-the-top" illogical, game-like, and completely unnecessarily difficult that you stand to lose 99% of anyone who happens across your site: having a portal is one thing, but following it up with a diagramic visitor "selection" scheme is absurd, IMO. Why not simply have a "sound" button on the Main page? And, offering 2 different views telegraphs your misunderstanding of serious online development, and suggests to all visitors a conclusion that you are probably in your teens (a definite turn-off with regard to credibility, and not supporting a feeling of confidence -- especially when it comes to paying online). I get the impression you are still tied up in a personal design loop, based on gaming and what you think everyone else expects to be tickled with rather than what works, is expected, and is required to be not just effective, but valued unilaterally (SE's and visitors both).

MOST IMPORTANTLY, though, you are totally off-base using the footer from VodaHost, for you are in no way connected to any of the firms whose logos you display: God help you if they track this to you, as you face stiff legal punitive actions for illegal use of Copyrighted Trademarks (even though you may be a foreign "enterprise" you are in fact hosted in the US and thus subject to the Laws of the Land).
                          You must be very properly permitted to use the trade names or marks of ANY company on any display portion of your website. If you were in fact an affiliate partner or registered developmental resource for any of the firms depicted, you may be able to display them, but then only in certain permitted fashions or places.

Get serious! So many people have commented about things regarding your site that it only stands to common sensibilities that after 2 or 3 such comments you would appreciate the import of such comments and strive to make corrections altogether!

There is no such thing as "fake it until you make it" in eCommerce, let alone compliant web design.

I'm sorry to offend you, footer removed in lue of information, just one note though. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to design a web site, I see flaws in even your site that as a user makes me want to leave when entering so in the end its open ended to who likes what and why. I don't think my designs are horrible given what they promote. My gaming site is obvious I hope and my main one sis like a profolio more then anything so its what ever makes ME happy and not anyone else, a place to flex what I like in a web site. More or less my playing ground for what I know and want to express, now tell me where the harm of that is.

Anyways thanks for letting me know about the footer, don't want to get in trouble. On another note though, don't look to see me premeire my work here anymore, your just too rude for my tastes, being a critic is one thing but your beyond that, as an artist I look for something you can't see obviously so it'll be hard to ever get an unbias opinion from you.

Also, I'm not a kid but I do realize the market and what the market share is amoung young adults vs 10 growth forecast for future internet business and I'll give you alittle advice, if your not in with the new wave of designing sites then you'll be left in the HTML lol

GD13,

Comment

Originally posted by GoldDraco13 View Post
                            I'm sorry to offend you, footer removed in lue of information, just one note though. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to design a web site, I see flaws in even your site that as a user makes me want to leave when entering so in the end its open ended to who likes what and why. I don't think my designs are horrible given what they promote. My gaming site is obvious I hope and my main one sis like a profolio more then anything so its what ever makes ME happy and not anyone else, a place to flex what I like in a web site. More or less my playing ground for what I know and want to express, now tell me where the harm of that is.

Anyways thanks for letting me know about the footer, don't want to get in trouble. On another note though, don't look to see me premeire my work here anymore, your just too rude for my tastes, being a critic is one thing but your beyond that, as an artist I look for something you can't see obviously so it'll be hard to ever get an unbiased opinion from you.

Also, I'm not a kid but I do realize the market and what the market share is amoung young adults vs 10 growth forecast for future internet business and I'll give you alittle advice, if your not in with the new wave of designing sites then you'll be left in the HTML lol

GD13,
                            On the contrary .... I see things most do not, and mentioning them (technical, creative, and with business experience and perspective added) should never be cause for personal chagrin, but reason to welcome a broader vision!

As seen here:
                            Originally posted by Vasili View Post

So many people have commented about things regarding your site that it only stands to common sensibilities that after 2 or 3 such comments you would appreciate the import of such comments and strive to make corrections altogether!
                            The diversity allowed on the internet certainly fosters unbridled creative freedom (one of the attractions of so many sites to choose to deal with), and you are encouraged to experiment and put forth that which best expresses you and your intentions -- no argument there!

However, being thin-skinned about the multiple (and nearly identical) comments that come your way that have been offered by more than a few peers for your benefit merely detracts from the mutual progress that is encouraged and traditionally experienced here in VodaTalk. The nature of your faux paux (with regard to blatently using the logos and trademarks of others) indicates something apparently lacking in your core understanding of web building and other things as well ..... and mention was made to offer you a "heads-up" to avoid potential problems down the road (again, broadening the perspective).

You have a lot to learn before you accuse me of being overly-critical or "biased," or ignorant of expertise I comment on ..... history proves me to be more than fair and supportive of peer progresss, and whenever it may be interpreted beyond simple mention or "report" I am careful to insert "IMO" as I know how personally certain individuals react emotionally first, rather than objective and balanced. Getting worked up over the comments echoed so consistently throughout this thread (some more detailed and composed than others) to the point of lashing out is completely unnecessary, and frankly, unwelcome.

The choice is always yours, and there is no dictate that you need the approval of anyone or any Community for anything you do (other than WWW Compliance and abding by Law).

Good Luck!

Comment

Interesting!

A whole new website overnight, more conforming to given protocols and standards. Fully functional, well-crafted Flash visuals, and without any ethical glitches, too.

Why, then, all the controversy?? No need to respond to that (or anything else, for that matter) .... enjoy your 'independence' and creative freedoms!

Comment

Working...
                              X