help please with configuring WebCalendar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help please with configuring WebCalendar

Hi, funnily enough, he has popped his in an iframe to also help cover up the bottom controls. If you view in FF, you can see a little more of them than in IE. But a handy little trick for just showing the calendar on it own. But with this calendar there seems to be a lot of admin alternatives to play with. You could almost do with 2 machines to see what happens with some of the boxes checked.

Good luck with the venture.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Do you keep the scroll bar until you've finished creating the calendar and then remove it?

How does one make 'hot buttons' like those just above the calendar to link to the other pages on the site?
      Sarah
      british-cemetery-elvas.org

Comment

Hi, the scroll bars are just a personal thing, i personally would do away with the boarder & scroll bars.
        The hot buttons? do you mean the main menu? If so this is outside the iframe the calendar & is in & just a normal menu.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

You're right about the border and scroll bar.

I thought I needed the scroll bar to reach login but if you crop the calendar to just below 'search' so 'login' isn't visible, you can click on search and 'login' appears on the screen that pops up.
          Sarah

Comment

Whenever you install Webcalendar via Fantastico, it is EXTREMELY useful to install in in it's own Directory .... it can be automatically created for you by simply entering a name into the small little box at the top of the installation page in Fantastico.
            It is also highly recommended that you get into the habit of always manually Printing the Fantastico! Installation Confirmation Page, so you have a hard copy of the links, Access, User Admin Name & Passwords to this newly installed Directory and Utility.

In this way, you can directly link to it from one of your Blue Voda pages directly, and it will 'present itself' without any disruption .... BUT it will not have any editable links or formatting BACK to your Blue Voda created site or pages UNLESS you embed it into your web page as via an iFrame as I have in the example cited above.

Chris is correct in pointing out that I chose to "chop off" some of the navigable options of WebCalendar that usually are seen at the bottom by each visitor, but I did so with complete knowledge that in doing so I prevented freedom of visitors to Login as individual Users (to create individual access and abililty to edit/configure Calendar 'Views"). In this way, having "configured" the Default View of the Calendar as PUBLIC (and not logging out as Administrator), the ability to 'mask' the Options at the bottom by defining the iFrame accordingly, keeps the Public View completely visible to visitors and ipso-facto prevents them from making entries themselves without Admin approval.

Similar to installing a Forum or other additional Utility to a website, installing WebCalendar into a separate (but seamlessly navigable) Directory makes perfect sense, and allows greater "Customization" and overall continuity if originally linked via an iFrame because you can 'place' it on your templated page design AND provide full site navigation as well as any other desirable Content or instructions.

It is not hard to understand it this way, and I would recommend uninstalling it as you have now and re-installing it into a Directory as mentioned so you can see the difference and how in doing so you can achieve greater "seamless website design continuity" as a result.

> Whether or not you prefer to sublimate options as I have by 'masking' is up to you, but certainly offering full site navigation by providing a page wrapper is an obvious improvement??
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thank you for that clear explanation. I returned to your site and see that I can only look at your calendar.

Since I posted my query, the owner of the site decided he preferred a simple list of events to a webcalendar. But before I deleted it, I had put it in an iFrame. I agree that that's the best way to manage import-elements

I've since added a guestbook, in a cropped iFrame embedded on a site page.

I appreciate your help.
              Sarah

Comment

Working...
              X