HELP PLEASE... OK I've got some pages published, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP PLEASE... OK I've got some pages published, but

1. In BV, set you page guide to 800 wide.
    2. Center your "image" (or call it page) within the left edge of the BV browser and the dotted white line which shows 800 wide
    3. Go off somewhere to the side in the purple background and right-click once to bring up PROPERTIES (yes, once more...)
    4. Rest Page Width to 800, leave height alone, and then click on Center Page in Browser
    5. Immediately click on the little floppy to SAVE (lest you inadvetrtantlyclick anywhere else on the page background to reset the width off 800)
    6. Publish - You need to know that although the publish-meter is not displaying progress, it IS working...but you might have to occasionally move your cursor to keep your screesaver from kicking in. This is especially true when publishing via wireless/WiFi and on satellite (like the both of us)

**I hope you realize that Centering, transition effects like fade, etc. ONLY work with Internet Explorer --well, ok, supposedly!-- so if you are using Mozilla, FireFox, etc. Centering will not present properly if you have set your monitor to 1024x768 for example.

If, after this round of "fix" is still is not centering properly (I see it still off to the left myself), then you need to resort to outwitting the computer:
    reset your page guide to 550, and use it as a centerline to align everything up astride this guideline.
    >>to find out how, maybe move your "frame" all the way to the left of the browser pane in BV (watch the X-Y axis in the lower right corner to be sure you SLOWLY click it left only until it gets to "0"...elements will bleed 3 clicks into the left edge if you are not careful). Now..look at the ruler at the top of BV browser, which will tell you how wide your frame/page is: say it's 795...and our guide is set at 550 (means we are laying out an 1100 wide page, so our mid page is now 397.5>round up to 398 >> (550-398=152) the left corner of your frame -which is what the X-Y axis picks up first- to be set at 152.......now, when it's all re-situated, repeat simple freaking centering via PROPERTIES and no matter what, the thing will present centered.....othewise I'll fly down there and kick the thing myself!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Vasili,
      You do realize that I've never done this stuff before right? Hey i just figured out that I got a warning for... Please Help.. Oops - sorry to all, because I didn't realize, I still have no real understanding of how these threads work. It was pure luck for me to log on the first few times...

any how,
      Well with the exception of 90 days with MS live & I do know my way around publisher, but I’m learning paint. Also I’m learning about music files... What the heck is an MP4 file – are they usless? I paid for the song then couldn’t use it for my babies (2006 Foals) page -

I'm pretty punchy right now - being as I pulled an all nighter trying to get this done... So I’m pretty tired and I’m about ready to just leave it lopsided

Thanks for explaining about uploading… Just it takes forever to upload the pages...
      I had a bunch published then found stuff wrong and re-did them then the second page I named it- www.candcshires.com /news.html any how, one of my main links was missing an L - from the html... so now I have re-published that one (& I fixed the L) Only to know I will have to re-publish it again when I get it centered (or If I ever get it centered lol .. tedious stuff especially when your tired ;)

Trial & error I guess that’s the way I have to learn... oh yeah, I've been using that ccleaner every time before I start a new publish seems to help a bit
      & hey, I figured out that the more graphics the longer it takes to upload...
      And as you can tell I like messing with graphics and photos. Eventually (soon) I want to do a photography site. I’m sure I’ll need help with that one!

oh hey you might know - if you get a minute, go to www.brillantexpressions.com
      I love her index page. I know that she used adobe-go-live so she must have used adobe ? Something or other to create the photo slide - book.
      Do you know what it was she might have used?
      Any one know what is the best photo/digital video program out there?

I just printed out your directions on how to center my pages... Not sure how much longer I’m going to work on this now... Maybe I’ll do more tomorrow?
      But hey at least you have me in the box and not miles off the page anymore. Thanks for all the help.
      Beck

Comment

Okay Yes I was overwhelemd trying to read the directions, but i took it one step at a time and what do you know!!!
        I'm centered!!! Thanks..

Comment

wow
          Originally posted by Beck
          I'm pretty punchy right now - being as I pulled an all nighter trying to get this done... So I’m pretty tired and I’m about ready to just leave it lopsided I went home at 5:30 AM this morning after getting only 4 hours sleep the night before. I have been lopsided for so long, I was sure it was the world that was off balance! (or maybe all the cars parked on the East coast??? LOL)

Trial & error I guess that’s the way I have to learn... I am surprised I have gotten as far along as I actually have!!!

I've been using that cleaner every time before I start a new publish seems to help a bit I don't recommend that...running your anti-virus weekly is fine. The Windows cleaner also cleans out your internet settings and sites, so for me it is such a tremendous pain to re-enter them. I only resort to this tool when something freezes up....

I figured out that the more graphics the longer it takes to upload...
          Hopefully, you have "prepared"/optimized your pictures prior to publishing them to minimize load delays (you can always use the free VH pix resizer tool if you need it. let me know)

if you get a minute, go to ww.brillantexpressions.com Sorry...something about this link is wrong, as it took me to a "placeholder" page (nothing like what you discussed)
          I love her index page. I know that she used adobe-go-live so she must have used adobe ? Something or other to create the photo slide - book.
          Do you know what it was she might have used?
          Any one know what is the best photo/digital video program out there?
          You have yet to discover the really neat tools and options 'hidden' in BV!

Thanks for all the help.
          No Problem, Becky! I merely got to VodaHost before you did! I am so grateful for the opportnity to finally define my online future myself that it is a joy to extend the same to others...

Comment

.... trying to read the directions, but I took it one step at a time and what do you know???
            I'm centered!!! Thanks....
            LOLOL You are 'telegraphing' the fact you are over 30 !!!!

(If I have a "pet peeve" it would have to be the fact most no longer make even the first reasonable effort to do the homework or develop a real plan...written or not, let alone bother to follow directions one step at a time! LOLOLOL)

"Plan Your Work, and Work Your Plan!"

Comment

Becky,
              What ever you do, don't get discouraged. It will all click and then you will be off and running. I think you are off to a good start, it's a very ambitious project you are undertaking but just keep posting here, these people are AMAZING and soooo generous with their knowledge. You couldn't ask for a better place to learn.
              Good luck,
              Karen
              http://www.quiltedtoatea.com
              http://www.quiltedtoatea.com/blog
              http://www.toadstoolteaparties.com
              http://www.myteatimefun.com

Comment

This link on MP4 might help http://www.*****.com/quicktime/technologies/mpeg4/
                Bill
                www.blueearthtea.com
                www.ftaaconsulting.com
                www.iaval.com
                www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

bill2006:
                  Thanks for the tip! I was trying to load the mp4 (song) file into my page properties background - as I have in all my pages, but it won't support that type of file. I figured out (with help from the link you posted) that I can add the song (mp4 file) by adding it to quick-time properties. Thanks now I can go back to finding cool music!

1) Could someone take a look at a page I'm having issues with?
                  It is located at www.candcshires.com/animation.html
                  I'm not sure if I used the right format? Or what I should use? The movie clip loads really slow.
                  I put in on my page using windows media player. In the windows media players properties I clicked the auto start box.

I would like it to auto start when you open the page, but because it is loading so slowly, it starts, then pauses and is not looking so smooth... my plan is for it to start automatically, and run all the way through...

My goal is working towards this website to be as user friendly as possible. A lot of people that will be looking at this site are not computer savvy at ALL. :)
                  I’m afraid that If the thing starts to play and stalls, they will hit buttons and might not get to see the whole thing properly. Plus it just doesn’t look good playing and freezing then playing and freezing… Are there any fixes to this?

Oh I created that clip with a program that came with my new HP Pavilion Media Center. (HP invent – Muvee technologies >muvees autoProducer 4.5) I was just messing around to see what the new computer had & it turned out kind of cool... it was super easy to do.
                  Now I just need it to load up right on the website.
                  beck

Comment

Please keep in mind that I am brand new at all of this stuff...
                    You're not a beginner, that's a pretty good site.
                    Your videos are ok but they did load slow, as did the Foals 2006 page. Dial-up users are going to have problems.
                    Bill
                    www.blueearthtea.com
                    www.ftaaconsulting.com
                    www.iaval.com
                    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

I was having trouble getting it published too... might just be too much stuff on there?
                      I have gone back and figured out that even though I thought my pictures were small, they weren’t as small as they needed to be. So I've used Microsoft office picture manager and "compressed the files" for websites... hopefully that is going to help. So far I've just done this to the 2006 foal’s page. Now when you click on the thumbnails, it opens but not so big... (Not like you all didn’t say something to me about that earlier, guess it took a while to sink in) anyhow, so right now I am trying to republish it to the website so I can see if it is going to help.

But uploading it to the web is another matter, I wish there was an easy fix for that. I keep timing out or freezing up. It is taking FOREVER to upload. I’ve spent most of today just uploading and uploading and … … … finally getting the pages published. Then I find a problem like a link not working or a typo and had to republish it. I dread having to republish. So I’m doing my best not to make mistakes.

I'll need to go back and redo the News page too soon (not tonight)... because that too is a hard one to get uploaded, maybe compressing the photos. will help... I guess just too many graphics along with the photos.

Bill - Thank you so much for the nice complement! (and the one you gave about the horses. They are beautiful aren't they!) My baby is "Sal" he is on the photo_book.html page
                      But YES I am new at this website building stuff... but I have always been creative.
                      I did have a bit of a start on this a while back... I had published a website on Microsoft live beta for just the 90 days. That program is terrible.

So now I’m here! I love Blue Voda for giving me all the tools to be able to be as creative as I want to be! And I’ve recently been told I’m just scratching the surface of BV.. That’s just too cool for me!
                      Soon I want to start a photography website to be able to display my photographs for sale... But I will defiantly need your guy’s help with that one. I also really want to learn flash, but haven’t a clue where to start. (But first - I’m taking a break from all this after I get candcshires done-LOL)
                      Beck :)

www.candcshires.com Let me know what you all think of it – and any suggestions to make it better are always welcome :)

Comment

B-
                        I just noticed something, and wonder if you addressed it earlier or not (too lazy to read through the earlier 2 threads): your "C and C" logo....did you insert this as an image, or simply use a font on your system?
                        If you did NOT convert it to an image, it is probably translating into another (similar) font on visitor's screens, as they might not have it loaded on their PC.....sorry...
                        I have over 2100 fonts loaded, and always seem to forget that my version may not be what most people are seeing....

Comment

I did end up going back to just using the font. Every Time I tried to make it a picture, it got way to distorted blurry, and was hard to place right, but I did also ended up with a simper heading. I’ve Used Old English for the C and C Shires and Monotype corsiva for the other fancy font… otherwise, for anything else I just stuck to Arial and Times New Roman – In hopes that they are all universal fonts. :)

I’ve had several comments (not just b.v. people) say something about the red white & blue theme.. (The letters in “Cookie Cutter Babies” candcshires.com/bremers_page.html)
                          either they love it or hate it no one is really in between. :) So ? As long as the gal I did if for likes it right?!
                          “Bremer” is an American registered, American bred Stallion and all his babies are American born & registered, so I when I first started to build that page, I had photo with colored block back grounds behind them that ended up dark red & dark blue… so somewhat by accident, I ended up with a patriotic theme for that page. The gal I did this for liked the navigation red whit and blue on that page and wanted me to do it to all the pages.. Obviously I haven’t finished applying to the rest of the pages… but? Cheryl – who I did this for, has a prospective buyer for all the stock..(Horses) If that happens she wants to sell them this website too.. of course that prospective buyer isn’t so fond of the RWB theme.. go figure ;)
                          Well thanks again for all the help everyone…. But I’m taking a break from this for a bit.
                          so until then... thanks again!!!
                          Beck

Comment

Vasili -
                            I've been thinking about the fonts all night...
                            What do you think? Are the ones I picked pretty much universal ones? (see message prior) Or should I redo it?
                            I have sent the link to someone that I want to impress, they have windows, AOL - I realized that if the fonts don't come up right it will not look as nice. So do you think I'm safe with the ones I picked???
                            Worried now-
                            Beck

Comment

Dear Becky....
                              Honestly, your choice of Old English is very befitting for your site, but I would suggest converting your masts into images for universal appeal and complete continuity.
                              Your choice of backgrounds and complexity of fonts will lend nice to such conversion, which is easily accomlished in Publisher of all programs!
                              1. Make a text box and enter whatever you need keeping in mind you need to have the same background color as you going to "post" over! For intricate patterned backgrounds, this is not always possible using Publisher.
                              2. Make the size of your text/font at least 1/3 larger than you exact sixe needed, and colorize properly. ALL colors (backgrounds, font, etc.) created in Publisher is Windows generated, and match perfectly to BV, so nothing to fret there.
                              3. When satisfied, SAVE AS > JPG and as a Publisher file (in case you need to go back and make another version).
                              4. Using a photo editor, crop your new "mast" as close as possible to font area to allow for tighter registration to other BV elements, "*****en" and "despeckle"....
                              5. RESIZE, manually (in photo editor) by entering the pixel width you require --this will be smaller than as is now, don't worry-- and by doing so, you will find the resolution of your fonts to become more ***** and defined...
                              6. Re-Save using a new name from the previously tagged name created as you saved out of Publisher to your BV Images folder, and "insert" in your BV page in place of your textbox-logo in question....the best part of this that it will always remain stable and duplicative throughout your website and even for "print" applications....

If it is the wrong size, simply go back to the image named previous to re-sizing, and repeat the process at new size values until you get what you need.
                              Sound laborious? Maybe, but it is simple, and it does use software everyone already has.
                              If you need a picture resizer, you can even use the one provided by VodaHost: >> http://www.vodahost.com/pix.htm

Sorry I am so late responding...but I hope this helps you, and all the others that bother to read it in this Forum!

There may be a niftier way to do this, but this is the method I came up with LONG before BV8 came out and there were so many fine "experts" available in the Forum to help me when I needed some.....

Comment

Thanks... I'll go to work on it, but might not get it done real soon..
                                & yes it seems that it is going to be laborious, but isn't it all?

guess if you want it done right you actually have to work at it! :)

Could anyone point me in the right direction for flash? What programs are there, How hard is it to learn? & which ones are the best? and how about making my own graphics you know like the animated ones?

Comment

Working...
                                X