X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Originally posted by ace5548
    Navaldesign,

Interestingly enough when I did drag the menu.php page from the right side of the FTP file I drug it to my desk top and opened it up in dreamweaver.
    The source indicated that it only had one head section. (Previously I had taken out the page title, as you suggested, and published.)

But, even when I re-published the page there was still two head sections. I'm starting to not get this and getting frustrated.
    Ok, let me explain:

the main page (i.e. products, or services or whatever else) has it's own head part.

The menu page, on the other hand, has it's own, because it is created as a page.
    So, when the main page calls the menu page, it automatically implements the whole memu page code, including it's head. That's why, whilst each page has only one head, when you view it on the browser, it has two: because it is the effect of combining the two files together.

There is no problem if you have two heads. The problem would exist, if the menupage had, inside the head section, metatags, description etc, as the SE would not know which one (the one in the main page head or the one in the menu page head) is the correct one.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you very very much for this indepth explaination. It has helped me tremendously. If you can't tell already, I am still learning a lot about what I am doing.

I really appreciate you getting back to my posts quickly. That and the absolutely great website builder are the reasons I am using BV.
      Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

This REALLY Rocks. It is exactly what I had wanted.
        you can see my menu bar and the pictures above it wil now be dynamic and I will change when I feel like it for all pages... soon to be over 100

www.moraismiranda.com

Comment

This is great information, thanks.

As I understand it, I need to create a different php page for every dynamic element I want to include on all of my web pages.

Now, how do I go about making the layout of all these elements dynamic?

I would guess I need to create a template with all the php elements laid out the way I want it... but that leads to several questions:

1. How do I update the template?
          2. If I update the template, will it update all pages created by that template?
          3. I am guessing the answer to #2 is no, so how do I change the layout of my template page and have it update all my other pages?

Thanks for the info!

Comment

1. If you use the method described, you simply update the template BV page.
            2. Yes, if the template is called from these pages. This is the purpose of using this method: to update all pages simply updating a single page.

If you use the method for single elements (header, footer, menubar etc) each element page will have to be updated separately.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hmm... okay, then what are the advantages of using php and separate elements as opposed to just using the templates and updating them as need be?

And... how do I update templates? I can't even figure out where they are saved, can't seem to open them for editing...

Comment

Originally posted by DrewDevil
                Hmm... okay, then what are the advantages of using php and separate elements as opposed to just using the templates and updating them as need be?

And... how do I update templates? I can't even figure out where they are saved, can't seem to open them for editing...
                HI I know your not asking me But to make and update a templates you make your page as you would liek to see it without words adn save as a template then if you wnat to update it you can just open the page and re save as a template.

Hope this has helped you.
                www.advertise.windameer.com - Add a Banner for your site or sites for free.

www.windameersfleamarket4u.com - Buy Sell Trade with Windameer's Flea Market 4U ( 1 Year Free for BV sites)

www.windameer.com - Come see our Angora Goats.

Comment

Maybe i have not understood well what you are after ?

Imagine having a 100 page site, and you want to update the menubar (or the whole page template). You need to change all 100 pages.

If you use this method, you only change your menu page, and all 100 pages are automatically updated.

This method allowes you to have certain elements as standalone. You save them as individual pages and then you recall them from your pages. This way, if i.e. you change your menu bar, it is automatically updated in all your pages. isn't that an advantage ? isn't that what you were looking ?

Please note that it is NOT necesary to save each element as independent page (header, footer, etc)

You can save the whole page template, together with your menubar, banners and whatever else you like, and then recall it from your pages.

I usually use this method ONLY for the menubar, as i like to have my template visble when i work with my pages.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

I am not making my questions clear.

Let me try again.

1. If I build a template without using any php, then create 100 pages from that template, then update the template, will it update those 100 pages automatically?

2. If the answer to #1 is "yes," then what is the added benefit of php?

3. If the answer to #1 is "no," then how do I use php and/or the templates so I can change the layout of all my pages (not the content of the php items, but where on the pages they are located).

For example, let's say I have a php element for a form login box (user enters name and password). Originally, I put that box in the upper left corner of my template and create all 100 pages with that template.

Now, I decide I want to move the login box to the upper right corner on all 100 pages. The form itself is not changing; I just want to re-position it.

How can I do this without changing all 100 pages?

Thanks!

Comment

I am not making my questions clear.

Let me try again.

1. If I build a template without using any php, then create 100 pages from that template, then update the template, will it update those 100 pages automatically?

2. If the answer to #1 is "yes," then what is the added benefit of php?

3. If the answer to #1 is "no," then how do I use php and/or the templates so I can change the layout of all my pages (not the content of the php items, but where on the pages they are located).

For example, let's say I have a php element for a form login box (user enters name and password). Originally, I put that box in the upper left corner of my template and create all 100 pages with that template.

Now, I decide I want to move the login box to the upper right corner on all 100 pages. The form itself is not changing; I just want to re-position it.

How can I do this without changing all 100 pages?

Thanks!
                      1. No.
                      2. Answered by 1. You cannot simply update the template and have your pages updated, unless you use the method described here.
                      3. As described in post #1 in this very thread. The loggin form must be part of the page that you are calling through the php. If you move it in that page, since this page is called from all the others, your form will move in ALL pages.
                      It is excactly the same as changing your menubar.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Navaldesign,

Is there away to use this to put in a menu that scrolls down ? and if so how would you make it scroll down? I'm trying to make my menu on the left scroll down on this page please take a look.
                        www.windameer.com/bucks.php

thank you,
                        Jolen

www.windameersfleamarket4u.com - Buy Sell Trade with Windameer's Flea Market 4U ( 1 Year Free for BV sites)

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                          3. As described in post #1 in this very thread. The loggin form must be part of the page that you are calling through the php. If you move it in that page, since this page is called from all the others, your form will move in ALL pages.
                          It is excactly the same as changing your menubar.
                          In post #1, you describe two php pages, and so I guess I am confused as to which page you mean when you say "the page that you are calling through the php."

Aha! Do you mean physically move it in the "source php" page? I thought you had said the elements had to go in the upper left corner.

Edit: you do say "Take care to place it in the upper left corner of the page (later we will see how you actually place it in your pages)."

If the element has to be in the upper left corner, how can I move it?

Okay that can't be right.

Comment

In the case of the menu bar, which is a single element, yes. If you use this method for a whole page template, then the page must be in the upper left corner, and the html box in your pages also. But, for the rest, all the elements in the source page must be positiones as they will appear in the final page.
                            Navaldesign

Comment

Aha! You mean physically move it in the "source php" page? I thought you had said the elements had to go in the upper right corner.

Edit: you do say "Take care to place it in the upper left corner of the page (later we will see how you actually place it in your pages)."

If the element has to be in the upper left corner, how can I move it?
                              Drew you only edit that page if you need to and in your pages you place a hml box where ever you want the menu to be.

Comment

Do I have to place/move the html box in each of the 100 pages? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Comment

Working...
                                X