This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this question to Navaldesign or not. First let me thank you for learning and undertaking this task of teaching us how to upload a single menu bar to all of our pages at one time. My question relates to you saying that we need to make the html box in all of our pages the same size as our menu bar. It makes me wonder what happens if people decide to change the size of their menu bar. Does this then mean you have to go back and change the sizes of the html boxes on all of the pages ? If the answer is yes doesn't that then defeat the purpose of having a menu called from a single page seeing that you will have to change the size of every html box on every page? ( I hope the answer is no because I really would like to use this )
    Never Let a Kind word go Un said!

Soy Candles

Comment

No, it doesn't affect anything. The purpose i suggest making it the same size is just to help you, during the creation of the pages, to have a visual understanding of how the page layout will be.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

That's great news.

Soy Candles

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
          How to create and use a single Menu and use it in all your pages, WITHOUT using Iframes.

You can see this page in www.navaldesign.info/Tips/phpmenu.php
          On the link above, Naval, I see two menu's, (blue and grey) which is php and which is html, the blue or the grey? Thanks

Please note that if you care about SE optimization, you can use a CSS text menu, that allows for text menu buttons. This way, your links will be immediately visible to the SE crawlers. How would I create this?

Just make sure, when using menus that make use of external files, like themes or javascript or css, to upload the necessary files in the same folder. If you use ANY of BV’s menubars or dropdown menus, BV will automatically upload everything. If you use the same menubar in different folders, it would be wise to publish the menu page in all the folders. Which folders are you referring to?

[quote]

Thanks Naval, for your patience with me, I'm still learning but learning from the best there is to learn from, BVodians ROCK!!!
          Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
          Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Comment

1. The menus are both html. The way they are embedded in your pages is php. and, they are both embedded using the method explained. As i said, i have used a page where i built the menu. In this page i placed two menus, just to show that you can use either type of menus that BV offers. The same goes also for Go menus and text menus, as well as for ANY other element.

2. CSS menus are not easy. There are free offline (free software that you download) and online generators on the net, as well as paid for programs that will build css based text menus. They also provide instructions on how to use them in your pages.

3. If you have subfolders in your site (not necessary, i just reffered this as some users have their sites organized in subfolders) you need to do as explained.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Of all the different types of menu's we can create in BV, which one does the spiders like the most?

Thank you Naval, in advance
              Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
              Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Comment

Text menus and nab bars (the one with the buttons).
                Navaldesign

Comment

I have been following the instructions given here to build (actually rebuild) a site. I am ready to publish - actually re-direct from my present host. I uploaded my 'menu' & the other 2 pages + my index + some photos in my public_html I was ready to re-direct when I decided to check the public_html file just to make sure I had put the photos in properly. When I clicked on the file a message came up saying 'topofpage' (what I called the page containing my header) had a fatal error - html in line 16 was wrong. I delayed re-directing & sent an email straight off to B.V.

Their answer said the error was that there was something after html tag & nothing should come after that. I've checked the page html & re-checked the instructions & I have followed the instructions exactly. What is interesting is that on 'topofthepage' & 'menu' there is indeed little blue writing after html at the top of the page on the html box of both. Converesly 'mysidebar' has the identical code I put in the box below, but no blue writing after html up top? What is going on? Is there a problem & what do I need to do? I'm anxious to see this store of my live - see what other problem (if any) I have to fix to get my pages right.
                  www.dinkdy.info
                  www.aboriginalarttreasures.com
                  www.thegemlovers.com
                  www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

It is not clear to me what the actual problem with the code could be.
                    Please post here the entire code of the "topofpage" and your page, as you can see them in BV using the View, Page HTML command.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

The code should be correct; please visit www.dinkydi.info I just published this morning using exactly the same code in both my pages as before & as you can see it's working fine. (should do its your code!)That page has NOT got the blue markings in the top box like the one for the other site. I might re-do the "top" for the other site again & see what happens. If still no luck - I'll get back.
                      www.dinkdy.info
                      www.thegemlovers.com
                      www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

There is no way we can see the php code, and that's why i asked for the code.
                        Navaldesign

Comment

I have completely redone my site using the php format suggested and I just wanted to let you all know I am loving all the extra time I have to worry about other issues with my business.

Thank You

Soy Candles

Comment

I have re-done the page twice & the same thing happens everytime. As per instructions I opened page html & have clicked on 'start of page' & put in this code <? function topofpage() { ?> then I have clicked on 'end of page' & pasted in
                            <?
                            }
                            ?>

I have put the same code (changing name ofcourse!) on 4 pages (6 with repeats) . On 'topofpage' & also 'myspecialsbar' the last code appears in blue at the very end of everything uptop as soon as I paste it in. On 'menu' & the page of my new site www.dinkydi.info it does NOT appear in blue after I have pasted it in the box after clicking on 'end of page' in the page html.
                            How you can do the same thing & get two different results, I don't know, I don't know I don't know. Blue Voda said that nothing is allowed after the html. I don't know, I don't know. I don't even know for sure that there is a problem as I haven't published the page that is supposed to have the error. Help.............
                            www.dinkdy.info
                            www.thegemlovers.com
                            www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Will you please post here the code as it appears in the problematic pages ? Go in View, Page html, copy the code from the window, and paste it here. This is the only way i can help you. And, WHICH PART and WHERE does it appear in Blue colour ?
                              Navaldesign

Comment

</html><?
                                }
                                ?> that appears right at the end of the grey section of the generated html page. This is from my page entitled 'topofpage'. Exactly the same code appears on 'myspecialsbar'; though I didn't get a faults message for that page.
                                www.dinkdy.info
                                www.thegemlovers.com
                                www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Working...
                                X