This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

1. It is not necessary to edit the file code. Simply publish the menu anywhere, and the images will be also published. Then go back in BV, and, in the place of the image location (c/documents/.....) place http://www.yourdomain.com/path/to/bv01016.gif where, obviously, path/to is the actual path to the folder of the menu. PUBLISH the page again and you are done.

Or, do it straight way, in order to avoid publishing twice, and use the File publisher (embedded in BV) to simoultaneously upload the pictures.

2. Yes, it is quite possible, i simply wanted to keep that simple. In fact, not one person here has ever wondered why I have put that as a function and not as a direct include. A function would allow, for more advanced users, to define their own parameters for the menu, thus being able to change colours, buttons etc.

3. The src = "http//xxx.biz/file.js" is a different thing. The "include" command is (usually) disabled for URLs.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Navaldesign, I have successfully set up my menus as described in this thread, I have a query.

Bearing in mind that the text in my menu contains carefully researched keywords, do the se spiders interpret each separate page as actually having the menu physically present on the page?

Comment

The menu this way is seen on each page. That's one reason we suggest it :)
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
          1. It is not necessary to edit the file code. Simply publish the menu anywhere, and the images will be also published. Then go back in BV, and, in the place of the image location (c/documents/.....) place http://www.yourdomain.com/path/to/bv01016.gif where, obviously, path/to is the actual path to the folder of the menu. PUBLISH the page again and you are done.

Or, do it straight way, in order to avoid publishing twice, and use the File publisher (embedded in BV) to simoultaneously upload the pictures.

2. Yes, it is quite possible, i simply wanted to keep that simple. In fact, not one person here has ever wondered why I have put that as a function and not as a direct include. A function would allow, for more advanced users, to define their own parameters for the menu, thus being able to change colours, buttons etc.

3. The src = "http//xxx.biz/file.js" is a different thing. The "include" command is (usually) disabled for URLs.

I'm not sure I follow you here. I created both a navigation bar with buttons and a javascript menu that will appear on multiple pages using your format. The buttons in the nav bar are the bv01016.gif files I mentioned, that appear when published. However, there is nowhere in BV that I can see that allows me to specify the file path to that image. AFAIK that image only exists on the server.

I'm curious though, is this method the best way to include a javascript menu and a navbar that will repeat on every page? What about headers and footers and rotating ad banners? In fact, my rotating ad banners don't rotate at all anymore.

Yay I'm learning now :D Thanks

Comment

When yo insert an image in a BV page, you can
            1. Specify a location on your computer, using the Browse feature
            2. Or, type directly the image file name. If the file name is simply "image.gif" , when viewing the page on the net (the published page) the browser will look for the image file in the same directory where the page is. In BV and in preview the image will NOT appear. If, instead, you define the image location as http://www.yourdomain.com/path/to/image.gif the browser will look for it in the specified location.
            In this second case, the image will NOT appear in BV, but it will when published AND in preview

3. If your banners don't work any more, it is probably some conflict somewhere. Without seeing the code i can't know what is wrong
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hello Naval

I've read this thread and I get the jist and I understand you can use this to do menus, headers and footers etc.

Could I design a page that includes all those features in one go so I could simply name it 'mytemplate' (or something) and then use that?

Thanks

Darren

Comment

Yes, you can. The add the rest of the content in the specific page
                Navaldesign

Comment

okay - I've weeded through quite a bit of this thread and think I got lost somewhere in the middle. Could I just sum up what I understand and someone please tell me if I'm on the right track?

here goes:

I'm attempting to do the php menu (php is a completely new thing for me) as suggested.
                  So, I design the menu (using one of the suggested CSS menu design programs or even just using a text box with links - whatever I can decide works?)
                  In page properties, I make sure to save it as php extension when it publishes.
                  save the file... in some folder. Am I supposed to make different folders to save each page?
                  then, I insert the html box (with code) into EACH page that I want the menu to appear? but I put that box (same size as original menu) in the upper left corner of every page?
                  Do I save ALL pages with php extensions? what was Beth talking about saving some in php and some in html ... what is the difference? or do I just save the ones where I want to use my menu.php as a php extension. (What is php anyway?) and the others as html?

I hope I am not confusing things more... Please straighten me out. I'm sure there will be more questions as I go, but I would appreciate the initial direction.
                  Jamie A.
                  www.HiStakes-Spelt.com

Comment

You will need to save ALL pages as php - and not html to use this.

When you save the page, it will already save into the blue voda folder you have your files for this program in. (You should make a folder for each website - not for each page). Each page you do this with, will need it's own page - the navigation, your header page (but do NOT call it header when you save it LOL) - etc.

On the page you save with the header or menu, etc - THERE you put the box in the upper left corner. On the real pages, but the box exactly where you want this to appear.

I know you contacted me in the other forum also. If you need further help - feel free to email me again - I sent you the email address from that pm - and we'll get it fixed for you.

After you get this - it'll be easy - and will make your pages down the road a breeze :)
                    Beth
                    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

anyone have much experience with the css tab designer program talked about earlier in this thread? mine seems to be invisible on preview... any ideas why?
                      Jamie A.
                      www.HiStakes-Spelt.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers View Post
                        The menu this way is seen on each page. That's one reason we suggest it :)
                        Thank you Beth

Comment

I learned a while back it is easier to work with a page template. The first thing I do is to build what I call my template page. It has all of the common elements without the bells and whistles of the indivdual pages. i save it as "template" and when I make a new page, I save that page by its proper name. I am famous for making mistakes as well. I have learned to copy and paste html, etc, as well....just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by bishopjack View Post
                            I learned a while back it is easier to work with a page template. The first thing I do is to build what I call my template page. It has all of the common elements without the bells and whistles of the indivdual pages. i save it as "template" and when I make a new page, I save that page by its proper name. I am famous for making mistakes as well. I have learned to copy and paste html, etc, as well....just an idea.
                            Thats more or less the standars way. However, if you need to change, i.e., the menu bar, you need to do it for each single page. With the method described here, you only update one page and the entire site is updated.
                            Navaldesign

Comment

My pages are of different length, can the footer be floating?

Comment

I figured out!!!! no more problems it works!!

Comment

Working...
                                X