• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vasili
    replied
    Re: Something is not right with my pages

Originally posted by coffeegourmet
    I just switched my domain over to Voda today. I am still waiting for the pages to go over completely as I cannot yet see it here on my computer.

However, somone on another forum sent me a message saying they could see it and there was problems with my menu etc. They did a view source and posted this to the forum:

Any ideas on what is wrong here?
    DNS has been changed to Voda1, and your site is up.

The only thing wrong with your Menu is the layout....you need to align things, finish the edges (with borders or contrasting colors), and consider using a different style to better compliment your radiused shapes (try an elipitcal, or change the background shape to a rectangular?) or take the time to create your own buttons, thereby losing the white borders that glaringly show up against the background colors/shapes.

Don't believe everything people tell you unless you have the opportunity to see for yourself!
    PS: Don't forget to refresh your browser to load the "new page"!

>> You do know that this is the wrong Forum to post this issue, right?

Leave a comment:

• coffeegourmet
    replied
    Something is not right with my pages

I just switched my domain over to Voda today. I am still waiting for the pages to go over completely as I cannot yet see it here on my computer.

However, somone on another forum sent me a message saying they could see it and there was problems with my menu etc. They did a view source and posted this to the forum:

<DIV style="position:absolute;left:169px;top:10px;width :690px;height:101px;z-index:21" align="left">
    <?php
    include ("mycoffeegourmethdr.php");
    mycoffeegourmethdr();
    ?>

</DIV>
    <DIV style="position:absolute;left:12px;top:107px;width :150px;height:601px;z-index:22" align="left">
    <?php
    include ("menu.php");
    menu();
    ?>

</DIV>
    <DIV style="position:absolute;left:862px;top:126px;widt h:150px;height:585px;z-index:23" align="left">
    <?php
    include ("specials.php");
    specials();
    ?>

</DIV>
    <DIV style="position:absolute;left:173px;top:1191px;wid th:687px;height:118px;z-index:24" align="left">
    <?php
    include ("footer.php");
    footer();
    ?>

</DIV>

As ncope also said, I'm getting a PHP error on some other pages too, though the left menu shows up there, but not much else. Here's the PHP error message:

Code:Fatal error: Cannot redeclare menu() (previously declared in /home/kngxsdql/public_html/mycoffeegourmet/menu.php: in /home/kngxsdql/public_html/mycoffeegourmet/mycoffeegourmethdr.php on line 1
    Any ideas on what is wrong here?

Leave a comment:

• Vasili
    replied
    Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Originally posted by Andy128
    Naval- You are a life saver!!!!!! Thanks very much for your tutorial! I have a site (www.123gpp.com) that I currently have over 130 pages and it is expected to grow to over 300+. This method will be fantastic to create a site that can be eaisly managed. I very much wanted to be able to adapt the site content for Hoildays and celebrations and such but could not having to change so many pages. I can't wait to get started. I have been researching Beths hatred for I-Frames (which is well founded I have found out) as far SE's was concerned. This seems like a perfect solution.
    I'd like to add an "aside" to this very highly valued thread in VodaTalk regarding the use of iFrames vs. CSS/php link styles, and how the quandry I faced was addressed.

Since I have a giant "affiliate-based" eCommerce site (www.MyChoiceMall.com) that truly is full of "one-way" outbound links and therefore not SE-friendly in any respect, and I needed a way to provide visitors with an easily navigable means to "click to" the more than 500 stores within a likewise easy-to-manage system on my end, I needed to implement more than one style of tool.

Since I find re-designing the BV site itself into a pure php-based site too overwhelming of a task (since it is constantly being updated and changed), I 'defaulted' by using the globally manageable iFrame menu system that included 2 Go Menus: one that listed "Categories" pages that showed stores grouped accordingly; and one "QuickLink to Stores" so visitors could jump to stores listed by name alone.
    >> Since iFrames are not "SE-friendly" and would not contribute to any "rank" or "relevance" I am able to maintain the convenience of the 2 Go Menus (and the global update ability) for visitors, but needed to add the entire list of "Category" Pages at the bottom of each page, each of which was linked to that page as in the Go Menu in the iFrame. Thus, the duplication of this important "element" in a SE-friendly format. And....it adds an aide to replace what some browsers can't see (and the alt tag instructs using this listing as an alternative) as well as doubles as a means for visually challenged visitors.

This way, I was able to leverage the "interior link" aspect to counter-balance the presence of the many "one-way outbound links" the pages contained (each "Category" page listed individual stores with their affiliate banner links). Adding to this corrected perspective is the development of relevant Content on each of these pages, in the form of specific key words serving as a mini-index of the Category each page serves and short, concise introductions of each "store." Again, since the pages and store lineup is constantly changing, I find this task a lot easier sticking to a pure BV-based site, rather than going the dynamic php or true CSS way...

This is what I did to retain the functionality this type of site required (Go Menus, and the global update aspect an iFrame provided) and still keep within the SEO guidelines of relevant Content, balance of interior links, effectually "halving" my outbound link metric, and being able to provide a "rankable" navigation metric to each page.

I will be looking forward to building a php-based site in the future, for it will provide the dynamics that the newer "Perfect Page Model" algorithym is based on (originally hinting at CSS as the 'best-of-breed'), but I wanted to simply give a glimpse at how a "problem" was solved without loss of design, function, SEO metric, or attractiveness to a site.

Just adding "my three cents"......(we all know I can't keep it to two! LOLOL)

Leave a comment:

• matrixxxxxx1
    replied

Originally posted by navaldesign
    Blue FTP is limited as to the number of files it displayes. Use File manager .

Thnx navaldesign. Problem solved

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

Blue FTP is limited as to the number of files it displayes. Use File manager .

Leave a comment:

• matrixxxxxx1
    replied

Originally posted by navaldesign
    When you connect with FTP to your site, you will see your site content. There should be two versions of each page, the new one, which has a .php extension, and the old one which has a .html extension. If the working version is the .php. you can delete the .html

Attention: if you had a contact form, and had named both the form page and the action script with the same name (as contact.html for the form and contact.php for the script) , then you should NOT delete the html version of your form, and you should NOT convert it to php, there would be some extra work there to do.
    Hi navaldesign

That's the weird part. Most of my pages are not shown in blueftp. Few pages are shown in both html and php but the rest are a mystery.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

When you connect with FTP to your site, you will see your site content. There should be two versions of each page, the new one, which has a .php extension, and the old one which has a .html extension. If the working version is the .php. you can delete the .html

Attention: if you had a contact form, and had named both the form page and the action script with the same name (as contact.html for the form and contact.php for the script) , then you should NOT delete the html version of your form, and you should NOT convert it to php, there would be some extra work there to do.

Leave a comment:

• matrixxxxxx1
    replied

Originally posted by Bethers

Blue ftp doesn't show all pages - go into your control panel to delete out ALL http pages.

Hey Beth

Where do u find the http pages please?

Leave a comment:

• coffeegourmet
    replied

Naval,

I am home from work now, I went and used an old template from my coffee site, and used the old navigation bar from that, I put the menu bar on the left as the php html, named it test. php, and published it. I than waited a few minutes, and checked http://www.ccwenterprises.biz/test.php and guess what comes up on the left hand side, the navigation, so I know it works now! I don't know why it did not work with the original page but I should be okay now! If I need help I know I can always shout out to you guys here at the forum!

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

The menu page seems ok. Since this is a function, if you visit the page you will only see a white page, and indeed it is so. But, the test page seems to have something wrong as the menu doesn't appear.

Leave a comment:

• coffeegourmet
    replied

The page with the html box on it is my http://www.ccwenterprises.biz page and I guess the one with the menu on it would be http://www.ccwenterprises.biz/menu.php ?

Beth, I will email both to you when I get home at 6. I don't get up till noon anyhow so you will have lots of time to look at it!

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

If you have published something, please provide a link to the menu page and to the page that has the html box in it, so we can have a look.

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

If you would like me to look, email me the two pages. If you can't do that till you get home - it might be late morning or so before I see them.

Leave a comment:

• coffeegourmet
    replied

In BV I have a seperate folder called "CCW Enterprises" than all of my coffee pages are just in the BV folder itself. When I published the menu page I put it my bv than clicked on publish. Than I went to the index page of ccw, put in the html box with the code for the menu page and clicked on publish, but it did not work. Maybe that will give you a better idea of what I did or didn't do.

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

The pages for each site are separte - and I hope you are keeping them in separate folders. You would need to follow the steps and have published both the page with the navigation (or whatever part you're putting on that page) and the page you are placing it on -

Leave a comment:

Working...
X