This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

OK....confused. This is a wicked idea for my site, as my content is refreshed daily. However, why does the HTML box show further down the page when published than my menu bar ever did when they are placed in exactly the same spot on the BV website builder?

Comment

Hi Vicky

Is the menu on your menu page right up against the left-hand corner?

(if there's space above the menu on the menu page, it will create space above the menu on every page that calls it up - pushing the menu down.)

Comment

Did you placed your menu bar on the top left part of the page?

Comment

Thanks guys - I pushed the menu up into the left hand corner as instructed and everything is working as it should! Thank you again for the tip - this will revolutionise my website - version 3 is on the way!!

Comment

Thank you so much! This was a HUGE time saver for me!!!
            Thank you!

Lynn
            www.lynnsbiz.com

Comment

Howdy,

Trying to get to grips with this and really am struggling.

I would like to have a multi part CSS drop down menu on my site, which will be used on dozens of pages, but I can't seem to make the drop down bit work when I start putting them into the individual pages themselves. I have gone through this entire thread, piece by piece and attempted various ways of including this, all with no success. Including trying to incorporate all the pieces into a BV page with functions, etc.

The final page of this thread states that you can just use
              <?
              include 'menu_stu_2.php';
              ?>

Guess what - still no luck!

If I just use Notebook and upload via BlueFTP, the drop down works - (see http://www.????.co.uk/menu_stu_2.php. But no matter what, when I try to put it into another page (no drop down) example - http://www.????.co.uk/home.php.

I know everything's a mess here right now, and that the colours are wrong and the links aren't mine, etc, etc. I just want to make sure this thing works before I start fine tuning everything!

I do hope that someone can point out the error of my ways.

Comment

Hi, go to the beginning as its more involved than just this part of the code.
                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris - I did start at the beginning. I have read through every single post on this and I'm stumped.

Comment

On you menu page http://www.????.co.uk/menu_stu_2.php you don’t seemed to of inserted the part in red ................................................
                    <? function menu_stu_2 () { ?>
                    in the properties/html “Start of Page” & on the same page the you need to put.........
                    <?
                    }
                    ?>
                    In the html page end area. Then republish.

The code that should look like this
                    <?php
                    include ("menu_stu_2.php");
                    menu();
                    ?>
                    will go in a normal html box on the front of the page you want to see it on.
                    Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I know that those were missing - the menu page was up to show that it actually did work. But here's the results when I enter the coding that you've suggested:

http://www.????.co.uk/home.php
                      http://www.????.co.uk/menu_stu_2.php

Note the menu page here was created from notepad and uploaded via BlueFTP.

I have also tried to create the menu page within Blue Voda itself and the results are the same.

http://www????.co.uk/home_5.php
                      http://www.????.co.uk/menu_stu_5.php

I realize that as this is now a function (no, I really don't know what that means) the menu only pages will show blank. But what is totally strange is that if you view the source, virtually everything is invisible.

I really do appreciate your helping me with this - fingers crossed!!!

Deborah

Comment

Hi, why are you not placing your menu on a BV page & publishing???
                        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Hi Chris, Sorry but a serious case of the flu left me unable to stand looking at the computer screen. Hope you've had a good Christmas.

I've spent all day again trying to get this to work. I noticed that Naval has posted new instructions with this, but I still keep on getting the same result. There must be something going on with the encoding - which I know nothing at all about.

Please could you please give me a hand with this or put me in the direction of someone else. Disregard all the top links as they're all ripped out.

Here is the link that shows the menu on it's own (created in Notepad and uploaded via BlueFTP). The drop downs work. www.????.co.uk/pro_two.html

When I then use the
                          <?php
                          include 'pro_two.html';
                          ?>
                          (as per Naval's new instructions) in an existing php page the menu appears but it does not drop down). See www.????.co.uk/faq.php

You mentioned that I should place the menu in a BV page and publish. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I have created a page and included an html box to include the menu and have exactly the same thing - menu shows but no drop-down. Please look at http://www.????.co.uk/html_include_box.html as I can't explain this properly to you. Is this what you meant or is there something I'm totally missing?

I have probably spent 2 weeks or more just trying to find an appropriate menu and trying to get it to work (and I'm not making any income - it's all going to come from the website) so I'm now getting desperate so I really need a hand with this from someone.

Comment

Hi, its that time of year for bugs UK as well. I see naval has mentioned about a quicker way of doing this. So i made a quick page that might help. LINK See if this helps.
                            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Lots of great help there Chris............Well laid out, well done.
                              Have fun
                              Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                              Newbies / Beginners Forum
                              FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                              My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                              Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP - using CSS Menu

Hi Chris,

Ah, see you're in London! I'm down in Sussex.

That's a really good page you've put up. It'll help tons of people with their overall layout. I'd suggest if you could get Naval to post it together at the top of this thread. I just noticed something though. Naval's using
                                <?php
                                include 'menu.html';

?>
                                instead of
                                <?
                                include 'h1.php';
                                ?>

(i.e. difference being the php after the first question mark) I don't know if that will make a difference to things - but I think it might be confusing to people if two different instructions are coming through.

Unfortunately, this doesn't solve my problem. I was able to make this work using BlueVoda's own menu's without any problem. But as BlueVoda has limited menu's and no extended drop down ones I have been trying to use a CSS menu. This is where the problem lies. It works on it's own! BUT when I try to incorporate it into BlueVoda pages - the menu itself shows but the drop down facility ceases to exist. If you take a look at the pages I've mentioned above you should be able to see what I mean. Any ideas?

I know I'm being greedy but if anyone else wants to join in on this thread - please feel welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                X