• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EricPSF
    replied
    Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Hi Naval,

I have encountered a strange phenomenon; the menu looks perfect initially (see file1, 1st button "Forums"), but when I rolled my mouse over it..the button shows another button description..(see file2, 1st button is no longer "Forums" but reflects "About us").

Any recommends?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	file1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	497656

Click image for larger version

Name:	file2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	497657

Leave a comment:

• SherylT
    replied

Woo-hoo! I got something right! I know I'll need some assistance when it comes time to switch over to my other domain.

I have one other "little site" that I've added on, that's still at GoDaddy, so after I get my "final" instructions, I'll test it on that one first! Thanks for all your help. Moving to VH and using BV was the smartest thing I've every done.

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

Yes this is correct.

Leave a comment:

• SherylT
    replied

Okay. I get the "relative" links idea, and will start changing those tonight. The other question I had was, am I saving to the right folder. I created a second folder in BV called Cust-M-Cartoons, so when I publish it is going to public_html/cust-m-cartoons. Is this still correct?

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

Naval,
    I thought so - however, on my old server - relative links quit working - but we won't go there - there is a reason lots of us are here :) And more, like Sheryl, keep joining us.

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

Originally posted by Bethers
    Sheryl - do as Naval says - as it is now, you are putting in the full path - which is NOT the path it will be when you change to the other site. So, you'd have to go in and change them all. Of course, all links in navigation wouldn't be so hard because of the method you're using (which is one of the reasons I wanted you to use this method) - but if you're doing any links on pages, those will have to be corrected when you publish.

When I did what you are - I did a few to test that what I was doing worked, but then did all my links as I'd want them when I changed over - therefore, they wouldn't all work now - but would when it was changed.

Hope I'm not confusing you - but I don't want you doing double work.

I never thought of what Naval just said - but if you do as he says, then I don't think you'll have any changing later - and they'll work both ways.

Naval - chime and and tell me if this is right?
    Beth, making relative links will work on ANY site, as long as you follow the same folder structure ( if you have any folder structure, which, most users, don't)

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

but if you're doing any links on pages, those will have to be corrected when you publish.

Use relative links even there, so nothing to edit after. This is the method i use when creating scripts for my clients: i have to make them site independent, or they will not work when i upload them on their site.

Of course, there are other ways too to acheive the same result with php, yethaving the links absolute, but with a variable first part. But this requires some coding, and i don't think this is the case here.

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

Sheryl - do as Naval says - as it is now, you are putting in the full path - which is NOT the path it will be when you change to the other site. So, you'd have to go in and change them all. Of course, all links in navigation wouldn't be so hard because of the method you're using (which is one of the reasons I wanted you to use this method) - but if you're doing any links on pages, those will have to be corrected when you publish.

When I did what you are - I did a few to test that what I was doing worked, but then did all my links as I'd want them when I changed over - therefore, they wouldn't all work now - but would when it was changed.

Hope I'm not confusing you - but I don't want you doing double work.

I never thought of what Naval just said - but if you do as he says, then I don't think you'll have any changing later - and they'll work both ways.

Naval - chime and and tell me if this is right?

Leave a comment:

• SherylT
    replied

Thanks Naval. I'm sure I'll hear back from Beth too. My building was going so well too . . . Now I'm back to being confused about how in the heck I can rebuild a site, and then change nameservers at GoDaddy and have my customers be able to see my original domain www.cust-m-cartoons.com (with hyphens). Where exactly should I be publishing all my files?

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

There is a very simple way to avoid the links problem: make the links relative:

Instead of typing, for a link, i.e. http://cust-m-cartoons.custmcartoons...oondesigns.php make it simply "cartoondesigns.php" and you are done.

Leave a comment:

• SherylT
    replied

Yikes Beth! What should I be doing? How should I be making the links? I thought the only way I could publish and test was to use the custmcartoons.com with the add-on. I'll stop what I'm doing until I hear what to do.

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

I'm nervous here about something - you are making all your links, etc with the name as it is now - you do realize you'll have to change all of them when you're ready to move?

You aren't doing this the way I thought and I just saw now how you have them named.

Leave a comment:

• SherylT
    replied

Thanks so much. Learning PHP is new to me, but I think once I get the hang of it, it will be great!

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

No, but you need to delete at LEAST the index page, otherwise the html page instead of the php will show up.

As for the rest of your pages, you can delete them or not, however, leaving them there will only confuse you further.

Please also note that noone can see your menu page (it will simply show a blank page) because the way it is built, it is a php function, that will only display when you call it from within your pages.

Leave a comment:

• SherylT
    replied

Just thought of something (that's pretty scary). Do I have to go into my control panel and delete all the previous .html pages?

If I type a page with .php extension in my address bar it comes up and the menu bar has all .php tags!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X