• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• navaldesign
    replied
    Re: How to create a download

Originally posted by mackan
    General,
    Ho can I keep track or view how many times a specific file has been downloaded. I have an excel sheet that users anonymosly can download and I would like to know how many times this happens. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Mats (www.snickis.se)
    Hi Mats,

it can be done in two ways:

1. By looking into your Stats in CP.

2. with a script that will email you, each time someone clicks on the link to the the file, or with a script that will update a database table. The email solution is the simplest. Additional info can be added in both cases, as date and time the file was downloaded, IP address of the user that downloaded it, as well as (but this is only usefull if you have the link to the file in many pages, and you want to trace this also) the page from which they clicked to download the file . If you are interested, contact me.

Please note that this way you can trace the number of times they have clicked on the "Download file" button. If they then choose to close the download window, without actually downloading, the script will count it as downloaded.

Leave a comment:

• mackan
    replied

General,
    Ho can I keep track or view how many times a specific file has been downloaded. I have an excel sheet that users anonymosly can download and I would like to know how many times this happens. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Mats (www.snickis.se)

Leave a comment:

• kell
    replied

Hi I am wondering how to make the download link a one time only link. For example john bought an ebook from one of my sites and I want him to have it but make it secure so he can't sent the link (or password to the file)to all his friends. Is there a way to do this? ThanksKell

Leave a comment:

• deesdogcare
    replied

Thanks! I don't need the info yet, but will need it before too long . . . I'll keep the thread so I have it when I need it!

Leave a comment:

• dougnez
    replied

General,
    Thank you very much.. I was wondering exactly how to do that.. And thanks for keeping track of our progress and interests..Dori's right you are the best.
    Doug

Leave a comment:

• Dori
    replied

General,
    Thank you for making this easy to understand and implement! You are the best!

Leave a comment:

• VodaHost
    started a topic How to create a download

How to create a download

Sometimes you want your website visitor to be able to download a file from your website, such as a .pdf, MP3, .exe, .zip, etc….

This is very easy to do, please follow the below instructions...

1) When creating a file that is designed to be downloaded, it is extremely important that you
    keep the file name as short as possible and do not use any capital letters, spaces or punctuation marks.

2) Upload the file you want your visitor to be able to download into your public_html folder. You can upload
    via FTP or you can use the upload feature in your File Manager in your control panel.

OK...

Next....

Let's look at the example of the domain name www.BlueVoda.com, We want to provide the BlueVoda Website
    Builder as a download to our visitors...

a) We created a file zip file called bv.zip
    b) We uploaded bv.zip to our public_html folder

Thats it!

The download link is www.BlueVoda.com/bv.zip , anybody who clicks this link will download the BlueVoda website builder.

---------------------------

Let's Recap....

Your Doman Name + File = Downloadable link

BlueVoda.com
    is the domain name

bv.zip is the file

we seperate the the two with a slash /

and we get the downloadable link
    BlueVoda.com/bv.zip

If you have any questions or comments on this topic, please feel free to ask them below...
Working...
X